Metal Storm logo
In Flames - Working On New Album

In Flames are hard at work on their new album! The Swedes latest offering was 2014's Siren Charms. Now, vocalist Anders Fridén has confirmed that the band is working on album number 12 and has been recording new material. It still remains to be seen who their new drummer will be as Daniel Svensson quit the band in 2015.

What direction will they go next? We will have to wait and see.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: In Flames
Posted: 06.04.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 30   Visited by: 192 users
06.04.2016 - 15:34
Sword_Chant

Very low expectations for this, the last album sucked balls and tbh their direction in the last few albums have been well below average...
06.04.2016 - 15:41
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
YES! In Flames We Trust!!!!

...am I doing this right?
06.04.2016 - 16:03
MyNameJeff

Written by LeKiwi on 06.04.2016 at 15:41

YES! In Flames We Trust!!!!

...am I doing this right?

...we trust (them that it's gonna be another terrible album)!
You nailed it
06.04.2016 - 17:21
s_t_s

What ? I thought they had given up after Siren Charms (no kidding I really thought they had called it quit).

Well who knows then... No expectation, maybe a surprise, maybe not. There are other good bands of melodeath around that don't disappoint so I don't really care (makes me wanna listen to some of their former albums tho).
06.04.2016 - 18:31
Sang Dalang Abu

Written by MyNameJeff on 06.04.2016 at 16:03

..... that it's gonna be another terrible album)!
You nailed it

Fuckin' agree
06.04.2016 - 19:09
FYA
Destroyer
Meh.
06.04.2016 - 20:46
EricAxel36

ASOP wasn't terrible, SOAPF was terrible, and Siren Charms was even worse.. Could the next one be even worse?
06.04.2016 - 21:03
Joppe
Steelemeister
They should make it with many guest vocals IMO, or better yet whole album with guest vocals. Catch my drift?
----
My vision is augmented
06.04.2016 - 21:10
IBlackened

It's gonna suck anyway.
----
Their old stuff is better.
06.04.2016 - 21:23
s_t_s

Written by Joppe on 06.04.2016 at 21:03

They should make it with many guest vocals IMO, or better yet whole album with guest vocals. Catch my drift?

And have guest musicians and composers and use another band name ? Yup I'm getting your point !
06.04.2016 - 21:31
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by s_t_s on 06.04.2016 at 21:23

And have guest musicians and composers and use another band name ? Yup I'm getting your point !

Well, my vision was to let those guests use In Flames name and the In Flames guys can take some other name that fit their stuff better. I'm sure guests do better job as In Flames than the current In Flames does
----
My vision is augmented
06.04.2016 - 23:01
IBlackened

Written by Joppe on 06.04.2016 at 21:31

Well, my vision was to let those guests use In Flames name and the In Flames guys can take some other name that fit their stuff better. I'm sure guests do better job as In Flames than the current In Flames does

What about In Shame?
----
Their old stuff is better.
07.04.2016 - 00:37
EmeraldSword

Written by EricAxel36 on 06.04.2016 at 20:46

ASOP wasn't terrible, SOAPF was terrible, and Siren Charms was even worse.. Could the next one be even worse?
I didn't like ASOP either, although I did warm up to SOAPF after a few listen throughs. Sadly I only liked one track of Siren Charms, "Dead Eyes". With all that in mind, I don't have have high hopes for the next album, but I may pleasantly surprised if they pull something half way decent off. Again, low expectations.
07.04.2016 - 04:07
InsuRn

Controversial opinion here:
To be honest, I liked the soft sound of Siren Charms. And A Sense of Purpose was great to me (but didn't really liked Sounds of a Playground Fading). When you accept the fact that they are not really a melodeath band anymore, they still make some decent music.
07.04.2016 - 04:21
Litvin

Ahhh sense 2002 IF just making albums for a new 200x fans they do not respect their old fans and even do not playing any of their old stuff on concerts. Clayman and about half of Reroute to Remain was the last thing being worth spending time to listen to.
07.04.2016 - 04:38
The Evergreen

What if I wrap up Clayman in an envelope and open it whenever the new album drops?
07.04.2016 - 05:32
Opethian

Please God, no ...
07.04.2016 - 06:59
Joe Zombie

Gross.
07.04.2016 - 08:24
Nope.
07.04.2016 - 09:48
s_t_s

Written by EmeraldSword on 07.04.2016 at 00:37

Written by EricAxel36 on 06.04.2016 at 20:46

I didn't like ASOP either, although I did warm up to SOAPF after a few listen throughs. Sadly I only liked one track of Siren Charms, "Dead Eyes". With all that in mind, I don't have have high hopes for the next album, but I may pleasantly surprised if they pull something half way decent off. Again, low expectations.

I didn't like ASOP at all even tho I gave it a few tries but, like you, SOPF was a grower on me. First I thought it was really too mellow but I guess I'm too mellow too now since I really enjoy that album but for the horrendous "Liberation" that sounds like a Bon Jovi cover ! With "Siren Charms" I only like "Rusted Nails" even tho at first listen I thought it was weak, but that was before the full album was released !

Anyway no expectations. Can they do worse than Siren Charms indeed ?
07.04.2016 - 10:55
Jeeers

Nothing good can come of this.
07.04.2016 - 12:47
Joppe
Steelemeister
Written by IBlackened on 06.04.2016 at 23:01

Written by Joppe on 06.04.2016 at 21:31

What about In Shame?

Could be. Also could be "Out of Flames", "In Dumpster" or "We Suck". The list goes on...
----
My vision is augmented
07.04.2016 - 17:02
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
Just stick to cooking! I'm hungry!
07.04.2016 - 17:46
Andresopeth

It is really weird what happened to this band, i honestly stop listening to them since Come Clarity and the last album i really enjoy is Clayman. But i can't figure it out how their level descended so low. I will sure listen to this one but have zero expectatives about it.
07.04.2016 - 23:01
EmeraldSword

Yeah... reminds a little of Sonata Arctica. They experiment to take their music in a different direction and it sorta morphs into this abomination that no on understands musically.
08.04.2016 - 04:34
The Evergreen

Written by EmeraldSword on 07.04.2016 at 23:01

Yeah... reminds a little of Sonata Arctica. They experiment to take their music in a different direction and it sorta morphs into this abomination that no on understands musically.

At least Sonata Arctica kind of came back. May In Flames do the same.
11.04.2016 - 07:40
Overrwatcher

Siren Charms's biggest problem was how confused it sounded. It was like taking a bunch of random songs from the bad bands from the early 2000's, from all genres, and putting it on shuffle. There was no real coherence. No reason for the album to start with an attempted arena rock song and instantly transition to the heaviest intro they have written in their 26 years as a band. And then back to arena rock.

Hopefully they find their way. Even if they become a full-time alt rock band, it'll at least be better than the monstrosity of Siren Charms. TBH the alt rock songs really weren't bad. Some of them were extremely boring and sounded like the band was half asleep, but there were a lot of great melodies within the songs and a lot of really really catchy moments.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
15.04.2016 - 13:26
Therapy?

Written by Overrwatcher on 11.04.2016 at 07:40

Siren Charms's biggest problem was how confused it sounded. It was like taking a bunch of random songs from the bad bands from the early 2000's, from all genres, and putting it on shuffle. There was no real coherence. No reason for the album to start with an attempted arena rock song and instantly transition to the heaviest intro they have written in their 26 years as a band. And then back to arena rock.

Hopefully they find their way. Even if they become a full-time alt rock band, it'll at least be better than the monstrosity of Siren Charms. TBH the alt rock songs really weren't bad. Some of them were extremely boring and sounded like the band was half asleep, but there were a lot of great melodies within the songs and a lot of really really catchy moments.

The only sensible comment I've read so far. There's so much hate revolving around this band, it's rediculous. I can't believe people are still expressing their agitations about the direction the band went, what... 14 years ago? (Going to take RTR as the benchmark). If you don't like it, move on man. There's so much out there.

I didn't like their latest effort myself either. It felt rushed and, as Overrwatcher put it nicely, confused. I loved SOAPF though and even though my favourite album will probably always be Clayman, I am aware that this is probably due to nostalgy as this is the album with which I discovered the band, and the gothenburg sound. In any case, I always like to approach their new albums with an open mind. In Flames will probably never release any behemoths like TJR, Colony, Clayman anymore but every album, even ASOP and SC to a lesser degree, had a couple very enjoyable songs.
27.04.2016 - 03:59
Overrwatcher

Written by Therapy? on 15.04.2016 at 13:26

I can't believe people are still expressing their agitations about the direction the band went, what... 14 years ago? (Going to take RTR as the benchmark). If you don't like it, move on man. There's so much out there.

It has to do with the fact that to this day, when someone mentions melodeath, In Flames is the first thought that pops into everyone's head. They were the face of melodeath, and all its changes, until Come Clarity was released. Reroute would have received so much less hate if the entirety of melodeath didn't follow in their path as well, so on top of being an unwelcome change in sound to a legendary band it was one that took the entire genre with it.

I still think it's kinda weird when someone posts on a new In Flames album about how it's terrible compared to the old stuff. We get it, the old stuff is great, but bands change. You probably were a different person 14 years ago. I'm not saying their new stuff is good, everything after CC was really lacking IMO, but judge them based on now, or the very recent past, not literally 20 years ago.
----
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
03.06.2016 - 10:41
s_t_s

Well I don't generally judge a band according to the direction they chose to take, after all this is their choice not mine. I like or dislike what they do that's it, almost straight to the point. But you have to admit that Siren Charms is pretty... bad. Ok this isn't awful either but too far from what we could expect from IF. Does it remind so of a certain Lulu by Metallica ? What if Fear Factory went into country music ? If these guys (talking about IF) want to do things that are opposed to what they did before either they should choose another band name or they shouldn't give a shit about our comments, what they are actually doing.

About a new album, well after Jesper quitting now this is Daniel and to me this is not a good piece of news but who knows ? Anyway I'm not expecting anything... Yeah that was quite a long post for not much interesting

Hits total: 2841 | This month: 3