Metal Storm logo
Solos: Slayer vs Metallica

Original post

Posted by , 21.03.2007 - 19:41
I've included two soloists from each band incase some people feel that the solos from other members of the band or former members were of greater stature. My opinion on this is that the two bands were the best of their time in the fact that they both are very inspiring and influential, but the solos from each band couldnt be more different. Slayers solos were more focused on the speed and darker sound of the solos. While Metallica wanted solos that were going to focus more on the whole sound of the piece and would be more towards the styles of classical musicians such as Bach or Mozart. What I mean by that is that Metallica wanted their solos to be understood and heard clearly through and through. Not to say anything bad about Slayer but the fact that Metallicas solos are far more clear just gives me this impression. So, what are your thoughts on this? Who had the best solos, Slayer or Metallica?

Poll

Best Solos From These Two 80's thrash bands? [Metallica vs Slayer]

Metallica [Kirk Hammet]
Metallica [Dave Mustaine]
Slayer [Kerry King]
Slayer [Jeff Hanneman]

Total votes: 243
23.05.2008 - 18:07
Metalhead2
Skinhead1
ok if you can enjoy it...i usually dont enjoy when i play guitar randomly, record it and listen to it...they are good band but their solos are fucked up... too good that Audacity exists
01.08.2008 - 11:03
freddie420666

i personally like metallica's solos more. slayer's solo's hardly ever fit in the song and they were too thrown together. they also had bad sound quality. but metallica's solos were clean sounding. like the main solo for one. theirs are more melodic and meaningful. in my opinion.
01.08.2008 - 21:09
Valentin B
Iconoclast
wat

this is a no-brainer... why in the hell did you include mustaine on the list? he only was for 1-2 years or less in Metallica, but out of the list he is hands-down the best lead guitarist, Hammet and Hanneman are great but Mustaine has a unique feel on the guitar, also he can play lead and sing at the same time, he's great all-round.

Written by freddie420666 on 01.08.2008 at 11:03

i personally like metallica's solos more. slayer's solo's hardly ever fit in the song and they were too thrown together. they also had bad sound quality. but metallica's solos were clean sounding. like the main solo for one. theirs are more melodic and meaningful. in my opinion.

don't forget that hetfield does most of the slow solo's, including the one on Whiskey in the Jar.
19.09.2008 - 04:02
MortalTheory
Account deleted
slayer can't write solos, metallica solos kick huge amounts of ass.
19.09.2008 - 04:09
Demonmayonnaise

Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 04:02

I think Slayers solos are more interesting. Kirks are really kinda boring to me. You hear many guitarists that sound like Kirk, but there is only one Kerry King, and only one Jeff Hanneman.
19.09.2008 - 04:12
MortalTheory
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 19.09.2008 at 04:09

Written by Guest on 19.09.2008 at 04:02

I think Slayers solos are more interesting. Kirks are really kinda boring to me. You hear many guitarists that sound like Kirk, but there is only one Kerry King, and only one Jeff Hanneman.

slayer solos are just crazy pinch harmonics and fast picking, but they are pretty original.
19.09.2008 - 04:24
thesabbathfan

KFK!!!!!!!

Jeff is almost as good as him imo.

yea, I really think most of Metallica's solos are pretty boring.
----
19.09.2008 - 04:29
Dark Blood
The Avenger
Definitely Kirk Hammet. Slayer solos are more.. I'd say senseless in the way that they only focus on how fast they can play it.
----
It is humanity who must pay homage to the greatness of the Universe... not the Universe to the human narcissism.
19.09.2008 - 10:05
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
i didnt know that there r 3 or 4 kirk hammets in the world or 8 dave mustaines
23.09.2008 - 21:08
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Metallicas Solos is often good but Slayers solon is better after Black Abum.
24.09.2008 - 13:13
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
nice to see the reallity here. so its very funny when u take a look at Dave vs Kirk caues all of slayer's vote comes to dave at there!! ROFL sum it u will see im right 21+21+24=66 and kirk is 60
then when i say slayer and megadeth's fans cant take tallica u say im wrong. but here their votes divided THANKS GOD.

http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=12148

thats why kirk is 32 and dave is 33 here lol.
25.09.2008 - 21:36
Frankenchrist

kirk's solos HANDS DOWN. don't get me wrong, slayer's the shit, but kerry and jeff's solos are way to sloppy to even be compared with kirk's rythmic solos. the slopppy fast out of control solos work well with the sound's slayers got though.
----
Blat Blat
26.09.2008 - 04:57
Demonmayonnaise

Written by Guest on 24.09.2008 at 13:13

nice to see the reallity here. so its very funny when u take a look at Dave vs Kirk caues all of slayer's vote comes to dave at there!! ROFL sum it u will see im right 21+21+24=66 and kirk is 60
then when i say slayer and megadeth's fans cant take tallica u say im wrong. but here their votes divided THANKS GOD.

http://metalstorm.ee/forum/topic.php?topic_id=12148

thats why kirk is 32 and dave is 33 here lol.

You really are immature. You cry about your band getting bashed on, then you go ahead and bash other bands, and their fans. I dont care if Kirk is winning. I for one, think that all three guitarists listed here are better than him. He just plays boring generic solos to me. When you hear someone like Dave, or Kerry, or Jeff, you know that its them. When you hear Kirk, it could be a list of others.
26.09.2008 - 15:19
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
ROFL, this is me who is tryin to get other bands down to rise metallica? u r a GODLIKE jocker.

mr X-Caliber, i bet if u want to compare any band with metallica at a poll(the polls which have just 2 bands like: megadeth vs tallica, or kirk vs dave ....) the winner cant be metallica!!!
but when u add another bands like: slayer vs tallica vs megadeth the winner will be metallica and my question is WHY THE HELL?
and i know my answer which make u sick!! metallica has enemies more than fans. and i like to clear this thing. cause u think this is metallica who is the looser ROFL. but with ur actions metallica will be beiger and biger.

I DONT LIKE TO MAKE ALL OF YOU, A FAN OF METALLICA, i like to say that if u dont like metallica so why r u talkin about them so much!
then u say "im a metallica fan",so be! but why r u TRYINT TO ARGUE WITH ME?
i have my own feeling about DM, and u have urs ok? i haev my own feeling about MetallicA, and u have urs ok?
so i dont know why im an INMATURE?

all of my words r FACT, i know if u compare metallica and AC/DC, Black Sabbath, motorhead, megadeth, sepultura, slayer, testament ....................................etc, the winner is not metallica.(i say it again in the polls which u compare just 2 bands )
cause the ppl who doesnt like tallica will vote for the other band. and im SICK OF this. and i think it normal that i cant take this.
26.09.2008 - 15:52
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Guest on 26.09.2008 at 15:19

I DONT LIKE TO MAKE ALL OF YOU, A FAN OF METALLICA, i like to say that if u dont like metallica so why r u talkin about them so much!
then u say "im a metallica fan",so be! but why r u TRYINT TO ARGUE WITH ME? all of my words r FACT

----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
27.09.2008 - 00:53
Demonmayonnaise

First of all black god, either you cant speak english, and Im not understaning a damn thing your saying, or youre putting words in my mouth. I think its a little bit of both. Im just saying that you cry and bitch and complain about people talkin shit about Metallica, and yet you think that because Kirk is winning this poll, you can sit there and jump up and down in your happy little shoes. I for one like Metallica, Ive told you that. I also think that Kerry and Jeff, and Dave as well, kick the shit outta Hammet when it comes to soloing. And this IS a forum, we can DISCUSS things here. Would there be a discussion if you didnt have people that DISAGREED? You can continue with your ignorant praise and constant blowing of the Metallicock. Im sure you'll ignore me after you read this. Cry baby.
27.09.2008 - 13:31
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Demonmayonnaise on 27.09.2008 at 00:53

First of all black god, either you cant speak english, and Im not understaning a damn thing your saying, or youre putting words in my mouth. I think its a little bit of both. Im just saying that you cry and bitch and complain about people talkin shit about Metallica, and yet you think that because Kirk is winning this poll, you can sit there and jump up and down in your happy little shoes. I for one like Metallica, Ive told you that. I also think that Kerry and Jeff, and Dave as well, kick the shit outta Hammet when it comes to soloing. And this IS a forum, we can DISCUSS things here. Would there be a discussion if you didnt have people that DISAGREED? You can continue with your ignorant praise and constant blowing of the Metallicock. Im sure you'll ignore me after you read this. Cry baby.

I decided not to argue with the ppl like u. cause i dont have time. its better for u to speak with ur ownkind. im not the man. thanks
02.10.2008 - 07:16
erozzmetrock

KIRK Rulez!!!!
Kerry King Cannot play Solo!!! His Solo is so BOOO...OORING!!!
05.10.2008 - 16:49
Piere
Account deleted
Slayer's solos are good but Metallica's are definetely better, just more melodic and more feeling into, but that's my opinion. Don't get me wrong, Slayer are one of the best metal bands, but in the end so are Metallica
06.10.2008 - 05:18
Toast
Account deleted
Metallica's solo's aren't original at all, unless you count the fact that they're usually more slow. Slayer solo's aren't the greatest out there either but there's just something about them that always grabs my attention.
06.10.2008 - 10:40
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 05:18

Metallica's solo's aren't original at all, unless you count the fact that they're usually more slow. Slayer solo's aren't the greatest out there either but there's just something about them that always grabs my attention.

thank u very much for ur new statement about metallica. WEIRD! Sad But True. but please count their copy riffs and solo's. Ill thankful.
06.10.2008 - 18:56
EaTNaLiVe666
Account deleted
Kerry King. As a bunch of people said before me, Kirk's solos are like a dime a dozen. Their solos bore me. Kerry King plays really fast and his solos stick out unlike Kirk's.
06.10.2008 - 19:17
Branzig

Jeff Hanneman. I know most will disagree with me, but I love his approach! He is really the punk of Slayer, he is the one that wanted to bring that hardcore aggression and speed into the mix. I love how he just doesn't care.

He just shreds up a minor scale at a billion miles per hour, and if he happens to miss a note, fuck it lol. Then, when he reaches about the 17th fret, he starts doing all kinds of whammy-bar-acrobatics haha. Pull a note up here, drop this one here, and BAM, you got a Hanneman solo

Some call it a wank-fest, I call it pure aggression
----
In Grind We Crust
07.10.2008 - 00:06
Toast
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 10:40

Written by Guest on 06.10.2008 at 05:18

thank u very much for ur new statement about metallica. WEIRD! Sad But True. but please count their copy riffs and solo's. Ill thankful.

How is it weird? Their solo's aren't original and they are mostly slow; if you weren't such a huge fanboy you might realise that. Not being original doesn't mean you copy another band's music note for note, it means that you just don't do anything special or new while writing your own material.
By the way just because you love a band doesn't mean you harass people who don't share your opinion with useless quotes. (like you seem to do to EVERYONE who doesn't think Metallica are gods)
07.10.2008 - 00:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
i dont think you can really compare the two, especially if you're talking about earlier albums. when metallica and slayer first started releasing albums, i would laugh at someone if they tried to compare kill em all with hell awaits simply because the different lyrical contents resulted in different styles of metal and therefore different solos and normally thats a good thing but when comparing the two i think the desparity between the styles is to the point where a comparison cant be drawn.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.10.2008 - 12:17
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
@ Toast
I know what u mean, Im agree kirk sux. he didnt play somthin special never. even at 80's. even at Master of Puppets or Rode the Lightning. and he sucked when he played kill em all. but if Dave would have played these albums it would be special. Im agree with u.
07.10.2008 - 13:10
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by LeChron James on 07.10.2008 at 00:30

i dont think you can really compare the two, especially if you're talking about earlier albums. when metallica and slayer first started releasing albums, i would laugh at someone if they tried to compare kill em all with hell awaits simply because the different lyrical contents resulted in different styles of metal and therefore different solos and normally thats a good thing but when comparing the two i think the desparity between the styles is to the point where a comparison cant be drawn.

so you can't compare the solos because the lyrics are different? GENIUS!1!
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
07.10.2008 - 18:25
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Damnated on 07.10.2008 at 13:10

read what i wrote. metallica and slayer played 2 different styles of thrash metal when they first started releasing albums and because their styles are so different, a legitimate comparison cant be drawn, at least in my opinion.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
08.10.2008 - 11:46
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
Written by LeChron James on 07.10.2008 at 18:25

Written by Damnated on 07.10.2008 at 13:10

read what i wrote. metallica and slayer played 2 different styles of thrash metal when they first started releasing albums and because their styles are so different, a legitimate comparison cant be drawn, at least in my opinion.

lol, here ppl compare Metallica vs Iron Maiden. then u say they cant compare Slayer and Metallica?
unfortunately after a lot of reasons ive told, they didnt accept my words that they cant even compare number of their fans!! so dont start this discussion again, all will against u.
17.12.2008 - 22:25
bierdukhelmsplit
Account deleted
I'm not voting here, but I will make a few points.
First off, Metallica's solos fit the song well everytime, whether or not they are complicated. They make it work.
Slayer plays really fast nearly unintelligible solos because that is their style of music. They are still the definition of Thrash in my book. So, their solos may not be that great, but they certainly fit the style of music.
And third, Dave Mustaine is amazing. Just thought I should throw that out there.