Metal Storm logo
Favourite Swedish BM band?

Original post

Posted by Rimfrost, 21.03.2007 - 20:07
I'm not so much into swedish black metal myself, listened a lot to Dissection and Naglfar though. My opinion is that Dissection is the best out of these, but Mörk Gryning and Naglfar were/are producing a lot of high-class material too.

What's your favourite and why?

Poll

What band of these do you prefer?

Bathory
Dissection
Marduk
Dark Funeral
Other (please motivate)
Watain
Naglfar
Blodsrit
Mörk Gryning

Total votes: 85
12.11.2008 - 14:35
Demigodc

Voted for Dissection, their first 2 albums are masterpieces and Jon Nodtveidt is one of the best musicians ever R.I.P.
12.11.2008 - 15:09
Khaldi

Mmmmmaaaaaarrrrrrrrdddduuuuuuuuukkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

----
Urartu is a NeoHittite and ProtoArmenian kingdom !!
12.11.2008 - 20:44
-Soulreaper-

Voted for Dissection, although I do really enjoy Bathory, Marduk, Naglfar, and Watain. For me Dissection is just impossible to beat when compared to other black metal bands. Even though they only released 3 full lengths, the first 2 are just brilliant.
16.11.2008 - 10:56
mortjoyeux

This was a good poll.
I was torn between Bathory and Watain, and ended up voting Watain because they have the more realistic bm sound.
Sworn to the dark was too good, nice cover art also.
21.03.2009 - 21:55
metalhead3

I voted for Bathory, Blood Fire Death is amazing
22.03.2009 - 15:57
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
My vote goes to Watain, because they are simply amazing and imo one of the best black metal bands in the world!
22.03.2009 - 17:25
Hellkommando

Yeah Dissection for me too, I've always liked John's stuff and enjoy their early albums especially.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
30.04.2009 - 01:55
Warman
Erotic Stains
The band has done 13 songs and 1 cover = 34 minutes of Sweden's best Black Metal IMO. I'm talking about War and I really don't know why this band appeals to me this much. Has there been to much proggy guitars, complex song writing and songs over 20 minutes for me the last year(s)? Maybe. All I know is that this band, from the first to the last song, feels like a fist á la Ivan Drago right in my face. Over and over again. And I love it.
----
03.05.2009 - 05:37
Winterfog

Bathory because they influenced musically and ideologically many bands that came later they kinda create a new style commonly known as viking and their first album is one of my favorite ever
03.05.2009 - 06:30
Ph0eNiX
Fire from Above
Tough Call there for me. It was between Marduk, Dark Funeral, Dissection and Naglfar.
When it comes down to it I have listened to all of them a lot and have spent countless hours basking in their music. I had to take naglfar due to the writing. It just stands out the most for me personally.

Naglfar:They have not only improved their sound considerably from their Vittras album but the melodics and writing have been consistantly really damn good! The songs are damn good and I keep comming back to them. It's melodic inthe right way, I prettymuch listen to albums the whole way through when I put them on and I'm impressed with what they put out.

Bathory: Granted Bathory was extremely influential and I will give them props for that! I also find that the 1st 2 Bathory albums are like a remix mix of the 1st 2 Venom albums as well. Sorta takes it down a peg for me a bit on the other side of my reasoning. Don't get me wrong, Bathory is a great band, the Black & Viking metal contributions they made were superb & aswome with how they grew out through the genre but I can't put them up as the favorite.

Marduk: as much as I love them and as much as I think Legion was the vocalist extrordinare for that band kept the tempo the same. Not that anything about that sucks, but more to the idea that Marduk has been doing the same thing for a while. They do it well and I come back but it's like old faithful. It's why they're not my favorite of all sweedish BM.

Dark Funeral: It's the same idea as Marduk for me for the most part (Minus the Legion comments I had previously mentioned for Marduk). Their work ,although is exceptional, takes forever for them to put out studio recordings. I feel like with the amount of live recordings they put out that they make it "covers" the time Dark Funeral takes to keep out of the studio to do new recordings. (Not the Favorite of all the Sweedish BM for me.)

Dissection: Storm of the Lights Bane was spectacular. It also is a shame their career ended so soon for them. They really did have a lot going for them. Although reignchaos could have been better/like their previous releases they had a lot more to give to the music world. Simply because the band is over and since I know they could have put out another 5 albums that would have been superb. As much as I findit tragic I also know they decided to end something for a lot of ears wanting to listen to what they wrote. It sadly won't go any further than it has. (Sadly not the Favorite Sweedish BM for me.)
----
26.05.2009 - 11:22
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Mine's Borknagar, melo with super guitar riffs and passages with clean vocals.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
28.05.2009 - 12:40
Nostalgiaplatz

Written by Haddonfield on 26.05.2009 at 11:22

You're right about their music but wrong about their origin because the guys are from Norway=)

Besides,I would vote for Vinterland if they were on the list.."Welcome To My Last Chapter" is an amazing depressive black metal album..
28.05.2009 - 13:02
Diabolos
Space For Rent!
Written by Nostalgiaplatz on 28.05.2009 at 12:40

You're right about their music but wrong about their origin because the guys are from Norway=)

Besides,I would vote for Vinterland if they were on the list.."Welcome To My Last Chapter" is an amazing depressive black metal album..

You're right, that album is amazing, but I wouldn't call a band with just one album the best BM band of a country, Imo it should be a band with at least 3 albums because otherwise it's hard to judge if the band is really good.
28.05.2009 - 14:01
Haddonfield
Chucky's Bride
Written by Nostalgiaplatz on 28.05.2009 at 12:40

I've always considered them as a Norwegian/Swedish band seeing as they have members from both countries.
----

"Seasons don't fear the reaper. Nor do the wind, the sun and the rain (we can be like they are)."
02.08.2010 - 10:31
JD
Account deleted
Voted for Marduk there is also Craft it didn't mentioned here before, very good band!
03.08.2010 - 18:13
ferm

Voted for Bathory:necro:, I would place it like this:

1.Bathory
2.Marduk
3.Watain
29.06.2011 - 16:33
Aristarchos

Nifelheim