07. Pray
08. Only Pain
09. Low Lands
10. Liberation

The Best Alternative Metal Album Of 2016

Guest review by
musclassia
Rating:
Across their career thus far, and most notably on From Mars To Sirius and The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira have developed a reputation for playing an intensely heavy, percussive, and groovy brand of progressive metal, relentless yet hooky with ambitious, often lengthy songwriting. Whilst a sizeable number of bands have at some point in their career softened and/or streamlined their approach to develop a more widely accessible sound, for a band so renowned for their heaviness and, to a lesser degree, complexity, as Gojira, toning down those aspects of their sound could be considered a real risk. However, with 2016's Magma, they deliver an album that is by no means soft or simple, but which is a clear sonic departure from the likes of "Backbone" and "The Art Of Dying" from previous albums. How has this decision paid off for them? Well, in this humble reviewer's opinion, while this album doesn't rival the aforementioned albums as the band's best work, there are more than enough positive and interesting things about the new approach for it to avoid being classified as a failure.

Read more ››
published 02.01.2017 | Comments (2)

Found in 76 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 113   Visited by: 1406 users
13.04.2016 - 19:51
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
I hope they do something different on this record, rather than further simplify their sound.
13.04.2016 - 19:59
Jagsey

There is definitely going to be a lot of emotion in this record, since it's written around the death of a family member.
I liked what they did on the previous record, so I'm stoked for this.
13.04.2016 - 20:21
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by Jagsey on 13.04.2016 at 19:59

There is definitely going to be a lot of emotion in this record, since it's written around the death of a family member.

It is, however, possible that their grief may have negatively impacted their songwriting. We'll have to see I guess.
13.04.2016 - 23:47
Rating: 7
MyNameJeff

Written by LeKiwi on 13.04.2016 at 19:51

I hope they do something different on this record, rather than further simplify their sound.

I hope so too. I agree 100%.
14.04.2016 - 21:21
Rating: 6
TizMH00

FU**ING EXCITED! *.*
22.04.2016 - 19:02
psykometal
A staff guy...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

23.04.2016 - 23:35
Rating: 5
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Teletubby sun wearing a black coat with some gas coming out of its head on a desert scenario?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.04.2016 - 16:09
Gurablashta

Was seriously excited for this album, but after hearing Stranded my enthusiasm has fizzled out somewhat... Still got my fingers crossed tho, Gojira are like one of my favourite all-time bands
21.05.2016 - 08:54
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
As much as I liked the second song they just showed off, I really hope they do some more weird progressive shit and quit simplifying their sound.
----
21.05.2016 - 11:40
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Jaeryd on 21.05.2016 at 08:54

As much as I liked the second song they just showed off, I really hope they do some more weird progressive shit and quit simplifying their sound.

The album is just shy of 44 minutes. It has a couple of songs past the 6 minute mark.
22.05.2016 - 12:16
Rating: 9
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
You guys have to listen to Silvera right now. It's just about one of the best songs they've ever written.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvXB-Vwnco
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
23.05.2016 - 06:12
Gurablashta

Okay, listened to Silvera and my fears have been abated somewhat. Can't wait for the release!
23.05.2016 - 09:50
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Passenger on 22.05.2016 at 12:16

You guys have to listen to Silvera right now. It's just about one of the best songs they've ever written.

Not even close, but I do like it. It's still structured like a radio single, though, and it's relative simplicity means it will never go beyond something like From the Sky.
----
23.05.2016 - 23:45
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Written by Jaeryd on 23.05.2016 at 09:50

Not even close, but I do like it. It's still structured like a radio single, though, and it's relative simplicity means it will never go beyond something like From the Sky.

A radio single... with fucking growls, loud drumming and distortion! So it's 2:14 minutes shorter than From The Sky, as if lenght says anything about complexity - who cares man. It's an unbelievable song.

I would agree From Mars To Sirius is their best album, but it's a good change doing a shorter, more immediate record. Their sound is exactly the same, it's better to go this way than to release increasingly longer songs that you lose interest in midway through.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
24.05.2016 - 00:35
Ganondox

Dude, nothing is every going to be like From Mars to Sirius, that is a once in a lifetime album. You need to take it for what it is, it's a pretty rad single. Also I don't think I've ever heard Gojira play a guitar solo like that before.
24.05.2016 - 00:51
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Passenger on 23.05.2016 at 23:45

A radio single... with fucking growls, loud drumming and distortion! So it's 2:14 minutes shorter than From The Sky, as if lenght says anything about complexity - who cares man. It's an unbelievable song.

I would agree From Mars To Sirius is their best album, but it's a good change doing a shorter, more immediate record. Their sound is exactly the same, it's better to go this way than to release increasingly longer songs that you lose interest in midway through.

I'm sorry, you must have missed the part where I said "structured like a radio single". Here, let me show you.

structured like a radio single

As you can see, I never said that it sounded like a radio single, only that it was built like one (i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus and similar structures).

I don't mind having a shorter record, or shorter songs. A long song length doesn't necessarily mean that the track it'll be structured in an interesting and coherent way, or explore an interesting space (though I will point out that having more length means there's more room for exploring), but I expect a little more from Gojira.

So far, with the songs they've previewed, I don't have much of a reason to believe they went anywhere interesting with this new record. I like Silvera, but it sounds pretty normal to me--on par with a lot of other mainstream metal. Of course, most bands usually only preview the single-worthy tracks, so this record could very well be absolutely stunning, with Stranded and Silvera being two of the most boring tracks on the album comparatively. I'll be very happy if that's the case. If everything on the album is more like Silvera, I'll still enjoy it, but I must admit I'll be somewhat disappointed.
----
24.05.2016 - 01:02
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Ganondox on 24.05.2016 at 00:35

Dude, nothing is every going to be like From Mars to Sirius, that is a once in a lifetime album. You need to take it for what it is, it's a pretty rad single. Also I don't think I've ever heard Gojira play a guitar solo like that before.

I wasn't implying that they should (or even could) make another album like From Mars to Sirius. I was just pointing out that, as good as Silvera is, it doesn't come close to the songs on that album.

As for the solo, I barely noticed it. Didn't really sound much like a solo to me. But then, Gojira solos are not something I tend to notice, because they tend to be pretty simple, or even non-existent. This one sounded more like some fancy riffing for the bridge than an actual guitar solo, but I guess the line between those two things can get a bit blurry sometimes.
----
24.05.2016 - 23:26
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Written by Jaeryd on 24.05.2016 at 00:51

Written by Passenger on 23.05.2016 at 23:45

I'm sorry, you must have missed the part where I said "structured like a radio single". Here, let me show you.

structured like a radio single

As you can see, I never said that it sounded like a radio single, only that it was built like one (i.e. verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus and similar structures).

I don't mind having a shorter record, or shorter songs. A long song length doesn't necessarily mean that the track it'll be structured in an interesting and coherent way, or explore an interesting space (though I will point out that having more length means there's more room for exploring), but I expect a little more from Gojira.

So far, with the songs they've previewed, I don't have much of a reason to believe they went anywhere interesting with this new record. I like Silvera, but it sounds pretty normal to me--on par with a lot of other mainstream metal. Of course, most bands usually only preview the single-worthy tracks, so this record could very well be absolutely stunning, with Stranded and Silvera being two of the most boring tracks on the album comparatively. I'll be very happy if that's the case. If everything on the album is more like Silvera, I'll still enjoy it, but I must admit I'll be somewhat disappointed.

Jesus christ, calm down, I didn't contradict you, it's structured like a radio single, brilliant analysis on your part and fantastic use of the quote button, but if only every radio single sounded like this!

Half of their songs are under 5 minutes anyway, we're not talking Dream Theater here, Stranded and Silvera would fit in any of their previous albums.
----
24.05.2016 - 23:42
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Passenger on 24.05.2016 at 23:26

Jesus christ, calm down, I didn't contradict you, it's structured like a radio single, brilliant analysis on your part and fantastic use of the quote button, but if only every radio single sounded like this!

Half of their songs are under 5 minutes anyway, we're not talking Dream Theater here, Stranded and Silvera would fit in any of their previous albums.

I'm calm, I was just being a bit snarky. Just because I didn't use smilies doesn't necessarily mean I was angry. I very rarely use smilies.

Anyway, you're right that it would be nicer if more radio singles were like this, haha.
----
09.06.2016 - 12:05
Ab.Victor
عرص
LEAKED
----
Stab me with hate
Enforce my fate
Pain's my belonging
To death I am longing
The death I desire
The dead I admire
See no more illusion
Just thy persecution

So finish your work
Stab me with fork
Torture with knife
End useless life
Slit all my wrists
09.06.2016 - 14:32
Apolyon666

Just listened to the entire album... throughout the day/ night... feel asleep with it in my ears... woke up with it in my ears. Gojira is ONE of my favorite bands... and it PAINS me to say... this isn't "Magma"... isn't "Lava"... shit... it's not even warm fuckin water... I don't know what's going on in the "Gojira camp" but I don't like the direction they're going... EASILY their Worst album... very depressing... again... this is coming from a fan... smh
09.06.2016 - 17:42
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I was also really disappointed at first listen, but I think I should give it more time like I did with Stranded. Besides, this leak's quality is really poor, I'll judge later based on a good copy.
09.06.2016 - 18:40
PersianKiddo

I love the new sound of Gojira, Still unique and completely enjoyable. I think their best works on this album are Silvera - Pray - Liberation.
09.06.2016 - 20:33
deswesher

Written by Unhealer on 09.06.2016 at 17:42

I was also really disappointed at first listen, but I think I should give it more time like I did with Stranded. Besides, this leak's quality is really poor, I'll judge later based on a good copy.

There's a 320 copy floating around if you search for it.
----
fullblackreviews.com
10.06.2016 - 00:20
MIXHELL

I've listened the album for many times and really kicks my ass. One of the best albums for 2016 in my opinion.
10.06.2016 - 03:34
Bigpaul

I wasn't a huge fan of the last album but there were 4-5 songs with decent replay value, after listening to this a few times today there are even fewer on this album. it's mostly utterly forgettable. I guess I'll just have to stick with their earlier albums.
10.06.2016 - 04:18
I don't want to believe that this is the real album. I guess this leak is an intentional act against piracy.
10.06.2016 - 06:17
Metal Ninja

This is a poor album by a band that set such high standards in their earlier albums, there's maybe 3 songs that are just ok on this new album. But compared to their first four albums this is just awful, the overall band sound is just not good either! Songs seem rushed & incomplete, too much restraint in the drum play & guitar riffs are mostly forgettable.
The monstrous sound they created on "The Way Of All Flesh" has completely gone & they should of tapped up "Logan Mader" to do the mixing/mastering & drum engineering duties again after his excellent job done on that album.
The previous album disappointed me too but it still had its moments and some good songs, but this new release is just a complete downer!
I understand that most bands want to try new ideas and new direction styles but it just does not work out on "Magma" , the aggression has almost disappeared too which is a big part of their sound!
I will give it some more listens to see if my opinions change but I will find that highly doubtful unfortunately.
On my first hearing its a very big disappointment from a band that can do so much better!

I'm open minded and enjoy many styles of rock/metal or whatever but this release is just plain uninteresting for vast parts of the 43 minute duration that this album delivers. The album does not flow together smoothly in any way shape or form, very disjointed feeling when listening. Its also what they sometimes say in the music world "a personal release" due to their recent problems, so hopefully its just a minor blip in their mostly impeccable musical back catalogue.

Songs of any interest - The Shooting Star, The Cell, Pray
10.06.2016 - 09:28
Apolyon666

Written by Metal Ninja on 10.06.2016 at 06:17

This is a poor album by a band that set such high standards in their earlier albums, there's maybe 3 songs that are just ok on this new album. But compared to their first four albums this is just awful, the overall band sound is just not good either! Songs seem rushed & incomplete, too much restraint in the drum play & guitar riffs are mostly forgettable.
The monstrous sound they created on "The Way Of All Flesh" has completely gone & they should of tapped up "Logan Mader" to do the mixing/mastering & drum engineering duties again after his excellent job done on that album.
The previous album disappointed me too but it still had its moments and some good songs, but this new release is just a complete downer!
I understand that most bands want to try new ideas and new direction styles but it just does not work out on "Magma" , the aggression has almost disappeared too which is a big part of their sound!
I will give it some more listens to see if my opinions change but I will find that highly doubtful unfortunately.
On my first hearing its a very big disappointment from a band that can do so much better!

Listen to this man... hit the nail on the head... I don't want to hear about death in the family... I'm from NY... maybe the distance from the other two members who currently live in France... had to do with the demise of the album... I hated the last album but have a new appreciation for it... it will probably get a very high rating on this site... but that's just people not being able to separate being a fan from objectivity... sorry Gojira... I still love you... just being real... 😭
10.06.2016 - 09:51
Risto
Wandering Midget
I liked what I heard on first listen, but I also understand the negative opinions. Definitely their greatest shift in sound between albums.

Hits total: 24905 | This month: 55