01. Swarm
02. Sleepless Sun
03. Reckless Abandon
04. A Questioin Ignite
05. Nursed By The Cold
06. Lost In Rapture
07. Perilous
08. Coffins Of November

Under the moniker October Tide, Fredrik Norman and Jonas Renkse released two iconic albums in the mid-1990s. Both had a dark connotation and created a parallel musical path from their main band Katatonia. While the latter band and Renkse have moved on, piling album after album of quality gothic rock since the departure of the influential Norman brothers in 2009, October Tide and Norman have retained the gritty death doom metal sound that most people identify with Sweden despite a 10-year hiatus and many lineup changes. In 2012, after the release of A Thin Shell, gone were Tobias Netzell and Pierre Stam, both from In Mourning. Alexander Högbom took over on vocals while Fredrik's younger brother Mattias filled in on bass. After 2013's Tunnel of No Light, now gone is drummer Robin Bergh replaced by Jocke Wallgren. October Tide's fifth studio album is entitled Winged Waltz.

Deeply anchored in the Katatonia sound of yore, October Tide carries on the tradition of producing high-octane death doom metal songs. Their influences may have varied over the years, but the quality of their output has always been a constant. This record is no exception. Most tracks are calculatingly sluggish, giving enough room for the dark melodies to fester in the hearkening void. The focal point is clearly the combined guitar work of Fredrik Norman and Emil Alstermark. They truly dictate the pace of the songs, set the mood and play with your emotions. Alexander Högbom vocals are vintage death metal a la Dark Tranquillity, which contributes to the feeling of hearing a true classic album. While Tunnel of No Light took at times a softer approach, Winged Waltz packs more brute force overall.

The writing has been well-thought through. The compositions cover all the bases of the genre, with an emphasis on insidious power and melancholy over a futile display of technique. The passion for making music is palpable. This album is emotionally charged. Despite the fact that this waltz only has 8 songs, there is a lot (of good) to process in one sitting. "Sleepless Sun" is a perfect example of how to modulate a melody effectively and of how to get the most out of a nice chunky guitar riff. "Reckless Abandon" is another standout for me. It has all the makings of a classic tune a la Edge Of Sanity. Actually, the whole album would make Dan Swano proud.

There are no overt gimmicks, no unnecessary bells or whistles, just pure direct point blank musical goodness laid out with passion, with talent in composition and hard work in execution. Throwback record? Maybe, maybe not depending on who you ask. The important thing is that Winged Waltz has integrity and a vicious bite a l'ancienne. The musicians of October Tide achieved what they set out to do, which was to bring the true sound of Swedish death doom metal back to the forefront.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 22.04.2016 by Bringing you reviews of quality music and interesting questions such as:

"A picture is worth a thousand words. How many words is a song worth?"

I have only got so much patience and skills, you do the math.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 237 users
22.04.2016 - 13:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Damn, October Tide has become extremely boring. I will keep to 'Rain Without End' and 'Grey Dawn'. Everything after that is a total snoozefest and this new one is even worse than the previous two albums.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.04.2016 - 21:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have to agree whit Mike Hotel about this one, I was expecting something better, not any outstanding song , just well doom as doom, but comparing whit 2 outstanding albums as Delta Tango told in reviews, its something, just doom, but whit out soul .... I don't think this album must be nominated in 2016 ms a
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
23.04.2016 - 13:33
Alondate

Yeah pretty boring. Same as the last one
23.04.2016 - 19:30
Rating: 5
God Alone

Review is well written but the album bored me to tears, sorry.
25.04.2016 - 22:22
woodsmoke666

I like October Tide, I like the album, but as per the previous release you get a few excellent songs and the rest standard fare. They just lack consistency and could do better as I always have high expectations which are never quite met.
----
tokoloshe

Hits total: 7349 | This month: 10