Metal Storm logo
Belphegor - Forced To Cancel Russian Tour

Black/death metal blasphemers Belphegor have been forced to cancel their Russian tour, after frontman Helmuth "Hel" Lehner was attacked at the St. Petersburg airport. Now, for the first time after the incident, the band has released a statement regarding what happened. Three of their shows were cancelled and in Moscow, the sound engineer was forced to mute the vocals because of their lyrical content. Basically, it was a disaster.

The band says: "After a great tour kickoff in Minsk, Belarus [18th April], Belphegor dealt with heavy opposition and censorship within Russia resulting in three shows being cancelled. We apologize to Russian supporters. The troop tried everything to secure the shows. The St. Petersburg concert was canceled just a few hours before Belphegor was scheduled to enter the stage on the 19th of April. We arrived in Moscow hoping for the best on the 20th. We were ordered to remove the already hanging backdrop, then told that stage props such as sculptures and crosses were forbidden, and Helmuth was not allowed to do vocals for the track 'Lucifer Incestus'. During the second track, the sound engineer had been forced to mute the vocals for the rest of the show because of our lyrical content. We were outraged by the entire experience. Afterward, we were informed that we would be unable to play in Ekaterinburg [21st April] and Krasnodar [23rd April]."

Helmuth adds: "We've toured Russia three times since 2006 and always had amazing experiences. We've ignored all protests including death threats during the past few weeks. I was aware many black and death metal bands were having trouble recently, but we still marched in. To people who think they know everything: When that waste of oxygen approached us at the airport on the 19th, he had a hand in his pocket. I expected him to have a weapon. If I had hit him, I would have been thrown in jail, and he would have ended up in the hospital. That was their plan; he had that other degenerate filming the entire thing. Special thanks to brother Mr. Karl Sanders, who had the courage to block him as he continued to harass me. I'm a musician, not a fighter, especially in Russia. I've survived Typhus and have already been dead for six hours, hanging on only by machines followed by open-heart surgery. I do not fear anyone other than myself. No excuses to anyone! End of story. It is of the utmost importance that artists have freedom of expression. Throughout history religions and governments have and continue to censor creative works all around the world. Thank you very much to all metalheads who loyally stand behind us and fight against oppressors and hypocritical moralizers. Russian supporters, be prepared! Belphegor are unstoppable and will return."

Furthermore, the band's upcoming album is scheduled for a March 2017 release date.

Sviatlana Dubavets photo

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Belphegor
Posted: 25.04.2016 by Bad English

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 155 users
25.04.2016 - 22:10
Windrider
Raureif
A big shame. Fuck those christian people.
25.04.2016 - 23:31
Hellcult
I meet Helmuth in London and i can't say a bad word about him or other guys!, seen them in London twice and will propably see them again, always a great show!
Thise are typical russian scums trying to destory a great show!! fuck 'em all!!
----
And I see the blade fall down upon the head of lord in heaven
And Darkness falls upon the end of history
While I drink the milk of the Black Goddess and cry over the mankind

Black Moses is my name...
26.04.2016 - 00:19
DeathMetal
Such a shame.
26.04.2016 - 06:20
Lord_Regnier
I've already mentioned that I hate religious zealots and religion in general. It is their fault if all this shit happened.

However, when a band is as provocative as Belphegor, shit like that is bound to happen at some point. I don't blame the band. The blame goes to those idiotic people who take religion way too seriously. I only mean that a band like this one should expect to have this kind of problem in the course of their career.
That reminds me of the incident with Deicide many years ago, when a bomb exploded on stage. If I remember correctly, it was the deed of activists who wanted to kill Glen Benton.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
26.04.2016 - 10:33
Paz
Elite
Quote:

the sound engineer was forced to mute the vocals because of their lyrical content

God awful. They were difficult to understand anyway
26.04.2016 - 11:41
Andreas
Very sad that is has come to this. I'm absolutely not a fan of Belphegor, but this is just wrong.

Written by Windrider on 25.04.2016 at 22:10

I hope you don't mean me?
26.04.2016 - 11:43
Andreas
Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.04.2016 at 06:20

That reminds me of the incident with Deicide many years ago, when a bomb exploded on stage. If I remember correctly, it was the deed of activists who wanted to kill Glen Benton.

Animal activists are suspected of this... (source: wikipedia)
26.04.2016 - 18:03
Nikpe
Account deleted
I belive, if this act will again russian fans will riot
26.04.2016 - 22:31
Slyfang
Written by Windrider on 25.04.2016 at 22:10

Those kind of people aren't christians, they're fascists. A real christian (which the world has extremely few of) wouldn't hurt or try to shut down anybody like that.
27.04.2016 - 00:27
Lord_Regnier
Written by Andreas on 26.04.2016 at 11:43

Written by Lord_Regnier on 26.04.2016 at 06:20

Animal activists are suspected of this... (source: wikipedia)

Yeah. In Deicide's case, I think Glen Benton deserves some part of the hate that is directed at him. He's (in)famous for being one of the biggest douchebag and craziest man on the Metal scene. That doesn't justify something as extreme as the bomb though.

I don't know the guys in Belphegor but I don't remember reading anything bad about them on a personal level. The image of the band is provocative and, Imo, overdone and ridiculously cheesy. But I haven't seen the guys provoke people in interviews like Glen Benton did.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 3195 | This month: 8