Metal Storm logo
Agalloch - Split Up

Sad and unexpected news arrive for Agalloch fans. Following 20 years, 5 full length albums, many tours around the world, and numerous other recordings, John Haughm and the rest of the band (Don Anderson, Jason Walton, and Aesop Dekker) have parted ways. What the future holds for the separate parties remains undetermined. The band collectively thanks all of their fans. Mastermind John Haughm explained that he isn't sure if this is a permanent end of the band or not.

John Haughm also wrote on Facebook: "After being inundated by a barrage of responses, I feel that I should clarify some things. I take full responsibility for the decision to part ways with the other guys. It was difficult, well thought-out, and something that had been culminating over the past couple of years. I simply could not continue any further with the band as it was. I had to make a change as my motivation and inspiration had started to completely deteriorate. Whether this is the permanent end of Agalloch altogether or a possible fresh start, I don't know. I probably won't know for a while. The band has simply been reduced back to its founding, visionary member for the first time in 20 years. Beyond that, the future is unknown."

Here is the statement issued by Don Anderson, long time guitar player of Agalloch regarding the recent incidents and one-sided split: "Dear Everyone, usually statements like these open with expressions of gratitude for the fans, friends, colleagues, and people we've worked with. There is a sort of form to the break-up letter that long-running bands produce: 'thanks everyone that has supported us over the years, bought our records, came to our shows,' and so forth. Then the apologies arrive from fans, friends, and family members: 'we're so sorry to hear this. We hope you are ok.' But, I can't start like that?it seems too mechanical. I can't start that way because it is I who should apologize to all of you. I am sorry you won't ever hear new music from Agalloch. I am sorry our fans in Latin America, China, Russia, Japan, Australia, will never see us play. I'm sorry I won't personally meet many of you after a show and talk about music, movies, school, and share a shot of bourbon. I'm really, really sorry because I had every intention of continuing.

"This was not my decision. I did not want this. I still maintain it was not necessary. I'm sorry it had to be this way. I am personally devastated and have not felt this level of grief since my father passed away ten years ago. So, if you are sad, upset, pissed, or bitter?I share these feelings with you. I know Agalloch deeply touched a lot of people. And I honor that by grieving in solidarity with all of you. Agalloch was an incalculable part of my identity and I'll be walking as half a man for some time now. I want to thank many people. I am terrified of forgetting anyone as my mind isn't all that clear today. So, for now, I really want to thank the fans from the bottom of my heart. My favorite activity was meeting all of you after a gig, or before a gig. The spiritual connection you and I shared during a show was the closest I, an atheist, have ever felt to God. Thank you, thank you, thank you. You might think our music helped you through the dark times in your lives, but all along you were helping me avoid the darkness. Sincerely, Don Anderson, New York, May 14, 2016."

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Agalloch
Posted: 14.05.2016 by HaaskAksaaH

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 72   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 665 users
14.05.2016 - 13:02
Sword_Chant
Wtf?
14.05.2016 - 13:06
Sojgenske
Nooo...
14.05.2016 - 13:10
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???
----
14.05.2016 - 13:25
YourRequiem
2016 suck donkey balls
14.05.2016 - 13:39
God Alone
Very sad news. But it was pretty clear they were lacking inspiration, their last album was way below their standards. It reminds me of when ISIS disbanded: 'we have nothing more to say so we're calling it quits, bye'. It's all about honesty.
14.05.2016 - 13:42
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
What a bad news...!
14.05.2016 - 13:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Even though not everyone can be Ihsahn, I hope a good Solo project comes out of this.
14.05.2016 - 13:57
PocketMetal
I'm not as hurt as I thought I would be. The last album was their absolute weakest, even though I would love a "return to form", sometimes that's not really possible without a drastic change. I respect this decision.
14.05.2016 - 14:35
Reaper_Redeemer
For sure, drama of this year. (If not the continuous deaths of musicians..)
14.05.2016 - 14:47
Eccer
Their latest has its ups and down, was expecting more to come. So I was very saddened by these news. But i'm glad I was able to witness them on bloodstock, just for 2 songs before I had to leave Oh well, their music is a life changer. Hail Agalloch! for 20 years of inspirational and original music!
14.05.2016 - 14:47
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Title is a little misleading, although technically true.
14.05.2016 - 15:08
Ikuinen
I agree their latest album wasn't that good... but damn
14.05.2016 - 15:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^Yeah, one would think the band ended for good.
But I guess they meant the members who split up and not the band =p
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.05.2016 - 15:41
Chobo_jokeR
I found out about this last night and will be kicking myself for the foreseeable future. I had the opportunity to see them in Calgary in 2012 and I didn't go because I wasn't too keen on the other bands in the festival. Oh well...these guys made some music that is very important to me, so I will always have that.
14.05.2016 - 16:12
Gothmog_Motsham
Crap! I was hoping they would make up to their fans for the last album...Anyway hope to see them in other projects soon....
14.05.2016 - 16:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
elite
Really not too disappointed about this at all. Better to call it quits and just let the legacy of albums like Pale Folklore and The Mantle speak for itself, instead of continuing to milk the cash cow and just churn out one uninspired, mediocre album after the next as so many other metal bands do. If the magic aint there, best to not push it
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
14.05.2016 - 16:42
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Their latest two albums were pretty weak, that's true. And the cocky glam-rock stage attitude they had lately was irritating as well. But I was still hoping for a tour only playing The Mantle or Ashes. Guess that won't happen anytime soon now.
----
14.05.2016 - 16:42
Nacur
Nooooo!
12 years following these guys and I did not have the opportunity to see them live!
.____.
14.05.2016 - 16:58
OpenMind
Noooooooooooooo !!!
14.05.2016 - 17:03
@gent_-_orange
Fair play, think the last album was treading water creatively and it seemed the band was low on ideas. When It gets like that it's probably best just to end it.
14.05.2016 - 17:34
scaesura
Really not surprised, and really not disappointed. I only really like a handful of songs from this band anyway, but also logistically it just isn't surprising at all. Hard to be a touring band when your members are spread all across the US.
14.05.2016 - 18:49
JayMo4
I think the criticism of their last album is a little overboard, as it's awfully hard to spend an entire career pumping out one Mantle or Ashes after another. I do hope the split enables the individual members more room to create, though I've never been quite as big a fan of their side projects as I have of Agalloch themselves, so I guess we'll see.

It's a bit sad, though if the band weren't seeing eye-to-eye either as friends or as artists then it'd be unfair to expect they were going to continue to make great albums. Gotta do what they gotta do.
14.05.2016 - 19:08
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by JayMo4 on 14.05.2016 at 18:49
I think the criticism of their last album is a little overboard, as it's awfully hard to spend an entire career pumping out one Mantle or Ashes after another.
It's not too hard to throw in a little clean singing here and there. They made these albums by choice. And they know they're bad, to the point of admitting that on stage. Maybe their dysfunctionality has been the problem there. But the criticism is well justified if you ask me.
----
14.05.2016 - 20:06
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Sad news, but maybe its better, band can change and sound not so good, well its always sad , because band has not bad album, mid period was a bit weaker, but still its kick ass band, American band what is so European
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
14.05.2016 - 21:26
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Very very sad news. They're still my favorite band of all time, but at least they finished their career without a bad album.
14.05.2016 - 21:35
WarMaster
Glad I finally got to see them last year, amazing show. Gone too soon.
14.05.2016 - 21:43
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
I'm going to miss this band. I was fortunate enough to see them play live back in 2013. It was an amazing show. Good luck to everybody in their future endeavors.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
14.05.2016 - 22:31
RockSplendid
Still can't digest what I read on their FB page yesterday! :'(
14.05.2016 - 22:31
Ganondox
NO! There is still no one else quite like Agalloch.
14.05.2016 - 22:33
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
staff
Hopefully this means John Haughm will do more as a solo artist than those collaborations with Grassow.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 9082 | This month: 20