Metal Storm logo
Rush - These prog rock legends!

Original post

Posted by Anathemani@c, 25.03.2007 - 13:31
Rush are the first to play prog rock in that way.. I think you all know their offer to rock and even metal music world! Especially their alboum "2112" and "Power Windows" are simply great progressive rock alboums.. Share your views with me please!
31.08.2008 - 00:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 31.08.2008 at 00:43

Written by Valentin B on 29.08.2008 at 21:00

what i heard was fucking awesome, i'm not really a fan of progressive metal and stuff, but these guys are real great, too bad i can't find anyone to download their stuff from.

I'll give you every Rush album

over the web right? how?
31.08.2008 - 01:29
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Guest on 31.08.2008 at 00:43

Written by Valentin B on 29.08.2008 at 21:00

what i heard was fucking awesome, i'm not really a fan of progressive metal and stuff, but these guys are real great, too bad i can't find anyone to download their stuff from.

I'll give you every Rush album

You are too kind.

Anyway, I have been on a Rush kick the past couple of days. Signals and King's are the two albums I have been spinning a lot.
----
(space for rent)
31.08.2008 - 02:08
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Valentin B: Over the internet...yousend it or something like that...
@Dane Train: I try to be a nice guy...yeah, Signals is a great album...I can spin it...I have that in vinyl...
06.10.2008 - 23:49
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Yes! Finally I found the song that was stuck in my head for two months - Limelight. I hated Rush for years, but this morning I woke up to that song in my head and it finally just clicked lmao. But yeah, I'm a fan of the band now and so far Moving Pictures is my favorite album by them.

Too bad I overplayed YYZ on Guitar Hero before I got a chance to buy the album.

Written by Dane Train on 06.08.2007 at 20:59

Written by Guest on 06.08.2007 at 07:15

Heavier than In Flames Jed? Are you sure?

If In Flames got any softer they'd start lactating.

hahahahahhaha so true
13.10.2008 - 02:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Well, I haven't really heard any new In Flames so I would not know...

I think that Guitar Hero ruins songs if you're one of those people addicted to video games and overplay a song on it...I think that Limelight was the first Rush song I ever heard...
06.11.2008 - 09:35
DrHigsby
Who has seen them in concert, past or recent years?
06.11.2008 - 11:32
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I've seen theme twice in two years on the Snakes and Arrows tour.

Rush are LEGENDS of Prog and each one is a pioneer and master of their instruments. I own Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves and Different Stages.
Moving Pictures is a timeless classic, Permanent Waves is Awesome and Different Stages is one of my favorite live albums. When I first heard them I jokingly said they were "hobbit Music" because of Geddy's Voice. Most people grow to love it though
----
Coldgrits
07.11.2008 - 00:56
Icarus
!PROSLACKER!
Ive always wanted to see them live more than any band after Iron Maiden (which i did this year) leaving now Rush as top priority but i dont think they will ever visit this lands
----
-At live's eve our flames will cease-
20.11.2008 - 11:34
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
I was so dumb i never heard rush before now i see where prog metal bands got their influences like my favorite band Dream Theater

damn i just can't stop listening Freewill ... Amazing album permanent waves
----
Stay Metal !!!
30.12.2008 - 10:53
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Rush is amazing. a modern day prog supergroup. they're the Yardbirds or Cream of the past decade or few.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
04.01.2009 - 07:00
HugeTheConqeror
Written by DrHigsby on 06.11.2008 at 09:35

I have seen them 11 times in the last 25 years, most recently in Philiadelphia in 2007. Neil's drum solos alone make the ticket worth the price. All three are consummate musicians who take their performances very seriously. If you are given the opportunity, Rush are not to be missed.
----
Pardon me while I wreak my vengeance.
06.01.2009 - 06:24
DrHigsby
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 04.01.2009 at 07:00

I have seen them 11 times in the last 25 years, most recently in Philiadelphia in 2007. Neil's drum solos alone make the ticket worth the price. All three are consummate musicians who take their performances very seriously. If you are given the opportunity, Rush are not to be missed.

I'm glad you feel that way. I find, more often than not, that people pass them off as "That one band who does Tom Sawyer." Sad, really.
06.01.2009 - 18:51
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've never really understood "Tom Sawyer". Rush has done so many more greater songs.
----
06.01.2009 - 19:42
HugeTheConqeror
Written by DrHigsby on 06.01.2009 at 06:24

I'm glad you feel that way. I find, more often than not, that people pass them off as "That one band who does Tom Sawyer." Sad, really.

"Tom Sawyer is good, but it's not even the best track on that album. I prefer "Red Barchetta", "Limelight" (cool opening riff), and "Vital Signs."

The thing is that Rush's career is so long, and their sound has gone through so much evolution over that time, that they really need to be considered for their total body of work, not just a few hit songs. What makes them so great is not just their technical musicianship, but also their constant curiosity, as if with every album they are asking themselves, "What if we did this?"
----
07.01.2009 - 09:34
DrHigsby
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 06.01.2009 at 19:42

Written by DrHigsby on 06.01.2009 at 06:24

"Tom Sawyer is good, but it's not even the best track on that album. I prefer "Red Barchetta", "Limelight" (cool opening riff), and "Vital Signs."

The thing is that Rush's career is so long, and their sound has gone through so much evolution over that time, that they really need to be considered for their total body of work, not just a few hit songs. What makes them so great is not just their technical musicianship, but also their constant curiosity, as if with every album they are asking themselves, "What if we did this?"

Tom Sawyer isn't my favorite on Moving Pictures either, I'd have to say it's "The Camera Eye" followed by "YYZ."

I couldn't agree with you more. I just found this interview today and was watching it. I'm amazed at Geddy and Alex's humility through the years. ( http://www.cbc.ca/thehour/videos.html?id=941260432 )
04.02.2009 - 19:40
ironfan666
Rush is crap I think we should get them off metal storm website they don't deserve to be on metal storm.
05.02.2009 - 03:59
Syk
myspace/bonerama
Written by ironfan666 on 04.02.2009 at 19:40
Rush is crap I think we should get them off metal storm website they don't deserve to be on metal storm.
Scroll up and read the posts of Huge, Dreamwar and DC. What you're currently saying is denying around half of all natively-English-speaking prog metal and many, many other heavy metal bands.

2112 is a really good album, not perfect but mostly great. It took a few spins for me to appreciate more than the kick-ass title track. I think the only other songs I've heard are Working Man from their debut and One Little Victory from their second-last album, which are also brilliant (the latter of which I liked a whole lot more in its instrumental version).
----
death ? thrash ? death/doom/prog ? Hail Zoldon!

he's not the kind you have to wind up on Sundays
06.02.2009 - 09:23
JohnDoe
Account deleted

What?! Rush is one of the most important rock bands ever, not only have they been predecessors of prog-metal (influence that is), IMO they even influenced the metal scene a lot. They are extremely gifted and skilled musicians and furthermore their music is soulful and expressive.

Rush is not for anybody anyway...
16.02.2009 - 21:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted

You're crap I think you should get off metal storm website because you don't deserve to be on metal storm
04.03.2009 - 19:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
10 Rush lyrics that should be fortune cookie inserts (but not necessarily sang out loud).
Canadian prog-rock masters Rush have long been well known for their instrumental prowess, each member able to shred the paint off a barn from a mile away with their respective chops and solo-ready wizardry. Of equal, if perhaps lesser known, value is the band's ability to pepper lyrical gems throughout the songs in their catalog. Largely written by the band's drummer, Neil Peart, many of Rush's lyrics are influenced by mythology and philosophy as well as fantasy and science fiction literature. It should come as little surprise then that many of these same lyrics seem to fit very nicely inside of fortune cookies; below are our picks for the ten best fortune cookie Rush lyrics.

10. "Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more." from the song "Anthem" on Fly By Night

9. "Freeze this moment a little bit longer." from the song "Time Stand Still" on Hold Your Fire

8. "Every day we're standing in a time capsule racing down a river from the past." from the song "Turn The Page" on Hold Your Fire

7. "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge." from the song "Show Don't Tell" on Presto

6. "The men who hold high places must be the ones who start to mold a new reality." from the song "Closer to the Heart" on Farewell To Kings

5. "Guide the future by the past." from the song "Bastille Day" on Caress of Steel

4. "Science, like nature, must also be tamed." from the song "Natural Science" on Permanent Waves

3. "Fate is just the weight of circumstances." from the song "Roll the Bones" on Roll the Bones

2. "One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact." from the song "Limelight" on Moving Pictures

1. "If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice." from the song "Freewill" on Permanent Waves
----
(space for rent)
05.03.2009 - 18:52
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Elite
Lol this intro is great...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQL6S8Q2RTk&feature=related

I cant' believe I missed them after Snakes & Arrows, that album is growing on me a lot.
06.03.2009 - 07:01
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Dane Train: I'm all about number six being a fortune cookie insert
13.03.2009 - 18:48
HugeTheConqeror
Written by Dane Train on 04.03.2009 at 19:03

10 Rush lyrics that should be fortune cookie inserts (but not necessarily sang out loud).
Canadian prog-rock masters Rush have long been well known for their instrumental prowess, each member able to shred the paint off a barn from a mile away with their respective chops and solo-ready wizardry. Of equal, if perhaps lesser known, value is the band's ability to pepper lyrical gems throughout the songs in their catalog. Largely written by the band's drummer, Neil Peart, many of Rush's lyrics are influenced by mythology and philosophy as well as fantasy and science fiction literature. It should come as little surprise then that many of these same lyrics seem to fit very nicely inside of fortune cookies; below are our picks for the ten best fortune cookie Rush lyrics.

10. "Begging hands and bleeding hearts will only cry out for more." from the song "Anthem" on Fly By Night

9. "Freeze this moment a little bit longer." from the song "Time Stand Still" on Hold Your Fire

8. "Every day we're standing in a time capsule racing down a river from the past." from the song "Turn The Page" on Hold Your Fire

7. "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge." from the song "Show Don't Tell" on Presto

6. "The men who hold high places must be the ones who start to mold a new reality." from the song "Closer to the Heart" on Farewell To Kings

5. "Guide the future by the past." from the song "Bastille Day" on Caress of Steel

4. "Science, like nature, must also be tamed." from the song "Natural Science" on Permanent Waves

3. "Fate is just the weight of circumstances." from the song "Roll the Bones" on Roll the Bones

2. "One must put up barriers to keep oneself intact." from the song "Limelight" on Moving Pictures

1. "If you chose not to decide you still have made a choice." from the song "Freewill" on Permanent Waves

Interesting Idea. I have always enjoyed Neil's contemplative lyrics and his ability to play with words.

I would also add to this list:
"A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission" from the song "Mission" on Hold Your Fire

"All of us get lost in the darkness, Dreamers learn to steer by the stars
All of us do time in the gutter, Dreamers turn to look at the cars"
from the song "The Pass" on Presto

"We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost" from the song "Bravado" on Roll The Bones

"Half the word wants to be the other half" from the song "Half The World" on Test For Echo

And finally, given my age:
"And even though I am gray, I'll still be gray my way" from the song "I Think I'm Going Bald" on Caress of Steel.
----
28.03.2009 - 03:24
Bytor Snowdog
Account deleted
Written by HugeTheConqeror on 15.05.2008 at 20:38

Rush has been my favorite band for 25 years, and they have never disappointed. I have all of their albums, and have seen them live 10 times over the years.

I think they are unfairly maligned by the elites in the music industry (yes, I'm talking about you, Rolling Stone magazine). That they have never even been nominated for inclusion in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is unconscionable. Their achivements, their growth, and their influence are all undeniable.

Neil has a quote in the Exit. . . Stage Left video in which he says that the band wants to never stop asking "What if?. . ." Rush is a band that has always enjoyed pushing their own personal boundaries, not the boundaries of the industry or of society, and as a result, theirs is a sound that has truly evolved over the last 35 years.

Truly, I have never tired of listening to this band, and all of their releases are in regular rotation in my personal music library.

Man, it warms my heart to know young fans are getting and digging Rush. A salute to you all.

Huge, we share a similar history. I've been a fan since I was about 13...so a little over 26 years. Hard to believe it's been that long. I first saw them on MTV in 1982...it was a video of Tom Sawyer lifted from Exit...Stage Left. Talk about changing my life. Before then my favorite band was Men At Work (Yes, please laugh). After that day, I knew nothing but Rush. I went out and bought Moving Pictures and Signals (which had just released) and marveled at the precision, power, and pure artistry.

I've seen them about 10 times and it never gets old. Like you said, Huge, experiencing a Neil Peart live-solo is an unbelievable experience. I've seen grown men in tears at shows, they're so moved to see their "heroes" in person. The thing most people don't get about Rush is how funny and goofy they are. Last year they had a chicken rotisserie on stage. A guy came out to baste the chickens every so often. He even basted Neil's drum kit. lol.

Rolling Stone and the Rockn'Roll Hall of Fame can kiss my keester. Any Hall of Fame that decides Madonna is a worthier inductee isn't worth the time. It's politics and pure snobism. Rush ranks 4th behind the Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Aerosmith for consecutive Gold and Platinum albums by a rock band...so screw you Rolling Stone Magazine. Long Live Rush!!

Favorite album: Hemispheres. Favorite song: Red Barchetta.

Cheers all.

http://www.imeem.com/theeplaylist/music/pluOE32D/paul-rudd-jason-segel-limelight/
30.03.2009 - 03:09
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I think that a lot of people out there cannot see past Closer To The Heart and Time Stand Still with Rush...they have all these commercial songs on the radio and there are so many people out there who think that is all Rush has to offer...it's quite sad...and those people won't donate the time nor patience to really listen to Rush because Rush requires a bit of time to fully understand and appreciate...
30.03.2009 - 03:26
Wyrd
Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart are the greatest humans to ever walk the earth (But then again that goes without saying);D

And we should al be thanking Canada for blessing the world with there being.
----
"The bands called Demon Hunter! They hunt demons!"
03.04.2009 - 02:05
Warman
Erotic Stains
I've been playing a lot of Rush lately, feels like I'm falling in love with them all over again. It pisses off my mom for two reasons:

1. She HATES Rush!
2. And because of that she regrets that she and I had an agreement years ago, where we let each other play his or her music as loud as you want to. I swear, she hates it more than my Black or Death Metal CD:s.

I guess I have to thank my dad for discovering Rush. 90 % of all Rock bands I listen to I have discovered thanks to my mom's massive LP collection. So when I found the "Grace Under Pressure" LP I first thought it would be some shitty Rock band like Aerosmith. I was pretty shocked right away when I heard it later. Told my mom she actually had great taste in music only to be met by this reaction:
"RUSH!? That fucking shit isn't mine! It's your father's!"
----
04.04.2009 - 07:43
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
@Warman: I think your Mom actually likes Rush if she's talking like that...deep down everyone likes Rush but they don't know how to react to it
18.04.2009 - 08:40
Gigginova
Account deleted
Honestly, I never knew much about them. My dad introduced me to dem recently.
Though the singer sounds obnoxious, they have a solid sound!
you can ehar some metal elements in the music too.
They have the ugliest album covers int he world though!!
20.04.2009 - 00:41
Lord_Regnier
Written by Warman on 13.07.2007 at 16:47

For me Rush was good (not only good, awesome of course) during the years 1975-1987. After the awesome Hold Your Fire they lost something (all the keyboards maybe?) and have been average since that, not good nor bad.

I agree, except that I consider "Presto" as their last great album, not "Hold Your Fire". But they definitely lost something after 1989.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"