02. Self Blinded Eyes
03. Darkness
04. Hands Are Tied
05. Children Of The Future
06. No More Shadows
07. Nevermore
08. Reign Of Madness
09. Flames Of Fate

From the opening seconds of Tsar, it's clear that Victor Smolski is involved. Smolski was of course a prominent member of Rage from 2001 to 2015. Fans of Rage will know that Smolski basically took control of songwriting and his focus on heavy technical riffs, orchestral flourishes and solos I can only describe as slightly insane, helped Rage develop a signature symphonic sound in later years. It's of no surprise that he now has total control over Almanac and fans of his sound and songwriting should be find something to enjoy in Tsar.

The lineup is a mixed bag, but I think the use of multiple vocalists stops the vocals becoming stale after a few songs. This is something I would often think of latter day Rage albums, with Peavy Wagner not really being able to do anything that would surprise or impress me. The vocals of Andy B. Franck (Brainstorm) and David Readman (Pink Cream 69) really work well together and I think they have greater range than most vocalists Smolski has worked with. The female vocals on show are pretty terrible though and Jeannette Marchewka even sings out of key in several places. All of this somehow makes Almanac seem like another Lingua Mortis Orchestra side project.

Despite wishing that Smolski took this opportunity to perhaps branch out and craft something new, it's hard to deny that Tsar doesn't have it's moments. The verses of "Self Blinded Eyes" are very power metal, "Hands Are Tied" is surprisingly heavy in places and "Children Of The Future" is unashamedly bombastic. There is a formula here though, with most songs progressing from some fast riffing, to mid-tempo choruses and then a guitar solo. It seems Victor Smolski can write these songs in his sleep and it would be good to hear what he could do if he took a longer break between albums. There is really nothing on offer here that hasn't been done on a previous Rage or Lingua Mortis Orchestra album. "No More Shadows" sounds like it belongs on Speak Of The Dead and Tsar is very much like "Cleansed By Fire" from the album LMO.

I could go on, but I think my message is pretty clear; this isn't anything new, but is another showcase of Victor Smolski's songwriting and technical ability. The use of multiple vocalists helped and it's unfortunate that the album still sounds like it consists of songs that were being kept for a new Rage album. Not seeking anything new and just want more symphonic metal with one of the greatest technical guitarists in metal? You certainly should go for it and I suspect you will enjoy it. I was just hoping for more and hope Victor keeps up with this new band and blows my mind again like he has in the past.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 8

Written by Belegûr | 30.05.2016

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 150 users
31.05.2016 - 00:27
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I suppose this is better as new Rage will be when it will be out
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.06.2016 - 07:40
majormalfunction

Lost track of Rage after Strings to a Web, need to check out this one as well as the newer Rage albums. Victor Smolski is a guitar beast!
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
02.06.2016 - 21:02
Belegûr
Arise In Might!
Written by majormalfunction on 02.06.2016 at 07:40

Lost track of Rage after Strings to a Web, need to check out this one as well as the newer Rage albums. Victor Smolski is a guitar beast!

Too right. I was going to put a disclaimer on the review saying I was a Victor Smolski fanboy haha, I think he's an incredible guitarist. If you haven't heard Rage after Strings, then yeah I recommend this album to you, I think you might really enjoy it!

Hits total: 6123 | This month: 13