Metal Storm logo
Fav lyrics theme

Original post

Posted by Valentin B, 26.03.2007 - 18:29
my faves are fantasy and politics, with bands like megadeth, iced earth, maiden and sepultura having my favourite lyrics, like on "dante's inferno", "phantom of the opera", "the bard's song", "the power of one" are all wonderful songs, and "holy wars", "hangar 18", and "refuse resist", just straight out flaming, bitching and lashing about what's wrong and what their problem is.

i choose fantasy though, since it's a more imaginative field, you can just go totally mindfuck random and no one will bother assessing the reality behind your lyrics, not like in politics where most of the inspiration comes from real events.

Poll

which is your favorite lyrical theme in a song?

introspective/psyhological/sentimental
horror/sci-fi/fantasy
politics
norse
"call to arms"-type
historical
satanist
gore
spiritual/religious

Total votes: 150
11.02.2008 - 13:14
DrunkenFuck
Thrasher!
Written by RockeRoy on 11.02.2008 at 00:18

Written by Dane Train on 10.02.2008 at 21:33

Written by RockeRoy on 10.12.2007 at 19:46

Manowar lyrics are rediculos

Any band that chants their own name in a song is rediculos. In fact, I think that Liquid Tension Experiment has far better lyrics than Manowar.

good one:) even though metallica uses their own name in a song! and they are not rediculos

Well.. At least they don't chant it XD
----
THRASH!!!
11.02.2008 - 18:24
Stigma
Account deleted
I voted Horror, Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Mainly because of Sci-Fi, bands like Agent Steel and Voivod have my favorite lyrics, and I also like to write that kind of stuff myself.
26.02.2008 - 14:27
NOИ
even if I like more personal lyrics, and introspective/psyhological/sentimental like you said, I will vote satanist just for the fuck of it, cause more black metal bands should follow the religious satanic way and NOT the easy pagan way.
13.06.2009 - 14:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Voted for politics although i also love gore and "unhappy" lyrics...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
17.06.2009 - 04:02
Diclonius
Account deleted
I like almost all of them, but I love gore lyrics, in the vein of Kreator´s Pleasure To Kill for an instance. I don´t know why, but that kind of themes are my favorite. The only lyrics I don´t really like are Cannibal Corpse´s, they´re almost cartoonish
17.06.2009 - 04:29
Got Mayhem?
If I could vote for Norse+Introspective....:cool:
----
17.06.2009 - 11:14
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by Guest on 17.06.2009 at 04:02

I like almost all of them, but I love gore lyrics, in the vein of Kreator´s Pleasure To Kill for an instance. I don´t know why, but that kind of themes are my favorite. The only lyrics I don´t really like are Cannibal Corpse´s, they´re almost cartoonish

"day turn to night as i rise from my grave" could also be called cartoonish (thou i love it)! but "a man lies in the corner covered with blood, bloody wounds in his body praying for his god" is fucking great!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.06.2009 - 02:35
soadbyob
Account deleted
Political, anarchy, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine type
18.06.2009 - 22:10
BattleHamster
Definitely sci-fi/fantasy/horror. Political lyrics are also good, and if "norse" refers to the mythology, than that's awesome too.
22.06.2009 - 05:21
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
elite
Written by Guest on 18.06.2009 at 02:35

Political, anarchy, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine type

SOAD nor RATM are anarchist bands.
----
(space for rent)
22.06.2009 - 14:07
Doomed
Account deleted
I vote foe "gore" but also i like the "Historical" and the "psyhological" ones
07.07.2011 - 02:31
JD
Account deleted
Ok, my favorite lyrics theme are: Ancient history, Middle eastern mythologies, Anti Politics, and Hatred, but since the "politics" option is the only one that listed here, so i voted for it.
07.07.2011 - 08:09
GroundZero
Favourites: Satanism, Anti-Religion, War, Witchcraft, Stories (i.e. King Diamond's stories are awesome), History, Philosophy, Love (i.e. Whitesnake or Scorpions), Politics, Social Situations, Aliens, Conspiracy Theories (i.e. Gamma Ray's No World Order is a masterpiece), Mythology, etc...

I made a copy/paste from the other thread
09.07.2011 - 07:19
king_matt
I love psychological lyrics, too bad most of my favorite bands have gore lyrics.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
10.07.2011 - 17:35
Beastofmetal456
Account deleted
Call to arms lyrics are fine. They make you feel...STRONG!
13.07.2011 - 04:17
Death To Posers
Hate Thy King
War/history or Horror/Scifi probably if I had to pick
----
The word gen means "illusion" or "apparition." In India, a man who uses conjury is called a genjutsushi ["a master of illusion technique"]. Everything in this world is but a marionette show. Thus we use the word gen.
20.07.2011 - 08:42
Void Eater
Account deleted
My favorite lyrical themes are metal praising lyrics, such as

"We are as one as we all are the same
Fighting for one cause
Leather and metal are our uniform
Protecting what we are
Joining together to take on the world
With our heavy metal
Spreading the message to everyone here
Come let yourself go"

And

"Fists are in the air. banging everywhere
thrashing to the sound faces melting down
it s time to fight for metal tonight
bangers take your stand and obey
our metal command"

But since that's not an option, I'll go for historical, being a bit of a history nerd.
23.07.2011 - 16:17
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.07.2011 at 08:42

My favorite lyrical themes are metal praising lyrics, such as

"We are as one as we all are the same
Fighting for one cause
Leather and metal are our uniform
Protecting what we are
Joining together to take on the world
With our heavy metal
Spreading the message to everyone here
Come let yourself go"

And

"Fists are in the air. banging everywhere
thrashing to the sound faces melting down
it s time to fight for metal tonight
bangers take your stand and obey
our metal command"

But since that's not an option, I'll go for historical, being a bit of a history nerd.

I really like this. Another example would be Exodus's Bonded By Blood:
Bang your head against the stage and METAL takes its' price
BONDED BY BLOOD!!
23.07.2011 - 23:07
Guib
Thrash Talker
Usually I don't care much about lyrics... when it comes to Death Metal or some extreme sub-genres where you don't understand anything. But when you can actually hear someting, I love it when they actually got something intelligent to say. I don't mind agressive or gory lyrics but I think I prefer when they actually talk about everyday's problems, world misery, politics... when they take position on something. I think that music is another artistical way to express how you feel about today's world and ideologies. Thats my opinion. I think that the lyrics I hate the most are mostly in power metal, I like some of the bands in that genre but yeah usually the lyrics sucks and are way too cheesy.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
24.07.2011 - 14:49
Jirpo
Voted introspective, but really anything as long as they are smart and well-written
28.12.2011 - 03:19
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Jirpo on 24.07.2011 at 14:49

Voted introspective, but really anything as long as they are smart and well-written

I agree on that, I mean you can talk about gutting whores and slaying children as long as its well-written and good to the ears
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
28.12.2011 - 05:33
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
What about skateboarding and sex and stuff like that? Political stuff is probably my favorite though.
07.10.2012 - 23:08
CobiWan1993
Secundum Filium
With Katatonia being my favorite band, I would definitely vote for "introspective/psyhological/sentimental" myself.
----
Ordinary men hate solitude. But the Master makes use of it, embracing his aloneness, realizing he is one with the whole universe (Lao Tzu).
16.10.2012 - 13:10
Dinruth
Introspective by far when it comes to lyrics .. don't we all have a little EMO inside of us