Metal Storm logo
Edenbridge

Original post

Posted by Susan, 23.05.2006 - 05:25
I just found this band back when Shine came out. What an amazing album and showcase of talent! It remains my favourite even though their entire discography is enjoyable. A close runner-up would be their live album, "A Livetime in Eden." The energy that Sabine and the band have is so infectious. So, who has heard the new album "The Grade Design"? I haven't heard it or the single yet

About a year or 2 ago I had a poll in the arena for best Edenbridge album. It died since there were only about 4 of us fans who voted I know there are more fans out there!
05.06.2008 - 07:38
mariano

Well...
I think MyEarthDream is perhaps more similar to Shine than The Grand Design, although the recording is much better than all previous albums. The guitars have a more havy sound (the tuning is lower and the distortion is deeper) Also it features a full orchestra for musical arrangements.
I recomend you to go to the band's site and listen some songs like SHADOWPLAY, PARAMOUNT or REMEMBER ME, they will give you an idea, but if you liked Shine then you are definitely going to like this one.
05.06.2008 - 09:37
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by mariano on 05.06.2008 at 07:38

Well...
I think MyEarthDream is perhaps more similar to Shine than The Grand Design, although the recording is much better than all previous albums. The guitars have a more havy sound (the tuning is lower and the distortion is deeper) Also it features a full orchestra for musical arrangements.
I recomend you to go to the band's site and listen some songs like SHADOWPLAY, PARAMOUNT or REMEMBER ME, they will give you an idea, but if you liked Shine then you are definitely going to like this one.

Yes I think that what really makes me love the new album is that it's just heavier, and the production is so much thicker and dynamic. I love lots of songs off of the Chronicles Of Eden compilation, but since I've got the new CD, I just can't stop listening to it. I think the band really found the studio sound I've wished they could find all these years!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
07.06.2008 - 17:25
Elodie Artour
Slania
I like Edenbridge but they are not 'my type of band' for sure.I mean-they are good but not so much as to call them a very good band.I haven't listened to their whole discography but the music itself sounds very boring to me.

Otherwise,Edenbridge have some very nice songs and also-a good vocal with a well-sounding voice.
----
Speak up dear 'cause I cannot hear you...
13.07.2008 - 02:50
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Jason W. on 05.06.2008 at 09:37

Written by mariano on 05.06.2008 at 07:38

Well...

Yes I think that what really makes me love the new album is that it's just heavier, and the production is so much thicker and dynamic. I love lots of songs off of the Chronicles Of Eden compilation, but since I've got the new CD, I just can't stop listening to it. I think the band really found the studio sound I've wished they could find all these years!

Although i like alot of the songs on the new album, i still find it to be not as strong as the others (Aphelion in question). I like the samll change with heavier guitars, yet they have lost the 'Lanvall' touch with the shredding flowing solos. Its now just chug chug chug, which is fine, but needed more of the older style too.
My other two complaints, are the occasional electronica sounds (eg. Paramount), and the layered vocals. The layered vocals didnt appear much really until The Grand Design, but there was some in Shine. This was great, it was a new touch to just Sabine singing, but now it sounds like The Grand Design again without much change in the vocals. Basically what i am saying is, The layered vocals dominated almost every song, and could have been used a little less.

Having said all this, i still enjoy the album, Sabine still sounds great which is important. My favourite tracks are toward the end (Remember Me - onwards) but still enjoy Shadowplay and the chorus in Paramount is nice.

Sunrise In Eden - 10
Arcana - 9.8
Shine - 9.5
The Grand Design - 8
MyEarthDream - 7.5
Aphelion - 7.5
25.08.2008 - 08:59
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by Dark Cornatus on 13.07.2008 at 02:50

Although i like alot of the songs on the new album, i still find it to be not as strong as the others (Aphelion in question). I like the samll change with heavier guitars, yet they have lost the 'Lanvall' touch with the shredding flowing solos. Its now just chug chug chug, which is fine, but needed more of the older style too.
My other two complaints, are the occasional electronica sounds (eg. Paramount), and the layered vocals. The layered vocals didnt appear much really until The Grand Design, but there was some in Shine. This was great, it was a new touch to just Sabine singing, but now it sounds like The Grand Design again without much change in the vocals. Basically what i am saying is, The layered vocals dominated almost every song, and could have been used a little less.

Having said all this, i still enjoy the album, Sabine still sounds great which is important. My favourite tracks are toward the end (Remember Me - onwards) but still enjoy Shadowplay and the chorus in Paramount is nice.

Sunrise In Eden - 10
Arcana - 9.8
Shine - 9.5
The Grand Design - 8
MyEarthDream - 7.5
Aphelion - 7.5

I can definitely see what you are saying when you are rating the albums, and in your references to the lowered amount of Lanvall solos and the increased layered vocals. I usually have a lot of these type of discussions with one of my close friends, because we also seem to enjoy a lot of similar bands, but different albums and for different reasons. (Draconian is currently one of those bands).

Edenbridge had kind of always been this band that I'd wanted to love but wanted them to be heavier and more aggressive. Sabine has always had a grand voice; she sounds like no one else to me in metal I also really enjoy alot of samples and electronica sounds in metal, so their use of it didn't really become apparent until you mentioned it and I listened to more of their older work again!

I think, though, for me, the main reason for my disinterest in most of their older songs is due to the production, even moreso than the lack of heavy guitar riffs. It's just so light to me, and it makes sense why they would have gone with it for so long because it matches well with the Lanvall extended soloing. But for this kind of music I like it to be equally heavy as well as beautiful and light, because it's very dramatic that way for me. Not necessarily the 'right' way, but just a way that is appealing to me

I wonder, if I saw the band perform live, if the production issues would be eliminated and I could hear the older songs in a better manner? I have a feeling I would be in for a pleasant surprise. Someday, perhaps. Maybe they will play again at the Metal Female Voices festival next year or another festival if I attend!

At least I can give them lots of radio play on my metal show here in the US to pacify myself
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
01.12.2008 - 08:08
Jason W.
Razorbliss
The band is releasing another live album, "LiveEarthDream" in the spring, and now with of course the tracks off the latest album making their appearance. I was hoping it would have been a DVD, but, instead they have a pretty cool fan-oriented deal if you pre-order the album off their website: You get a signed copy along with a thank you in the CD booklet, which is a cool thing to have for the future I think

And yes, I'm still as enthusiastic about their latest effort, MyEarthDream as I was in my above posts, so I'm really looking forward to this one, and of course pre-ordering it
----
02.12.2008 - 10:47
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Ill have to look into that, thanks!
02.12.2008 - 16:19
GT
Coffee!!
@dismal: Thanks for the news...I'll check it out asap
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
10.05.2009 - 18:29
GT
Coffee!!
My copy of LiveEarthDream arrived the other day. Holy crap that cover is bad!, but the fact that it was signed by the whole band kinda made up for that.

I see you mentioned in the booklet Dismal...two or three names before me

It's a pretty good album. The sound quality is actually quite good considering it's a live recording and the songs are well chosen.
----

11.05.2009 - 05:30
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Written by GT on 10.05.2009 at 18:29

My copy of LiveEarthDream arrived the other day. Holy crap that cover is bad!, but the fact that it was signed by the whole band kinda made up for that.

I see you mentioned in the booklet Dismal...two or three names before me

It's a pretty good album. The sound quality is actually quite good considering it's a live recording and the songs are well chosen.

Yes, I hadn't posted a comment yet, but yes I received mine this past Thursday - and saw your name as well nearby ! And if I had not already known how bad the cover was, that would be the main complaint I have about the album, but instead I'd already got over it and was just pleased to see the silver signatures, that are actually readable too .

Great track list too, I agree. Considering I haven't seen the band live, hearing some talking with the crowd is some of the things I look forward to the most, and this has a few good parts. I agree the sound is classy, too.
----
14.05.2009 - 23:29
Susan
Smeghead
I must say I'm a little surprised to see that MyEarthDream wasn't as well received here. I think it's a masterpiece! Edenbridge's triumph thus far. That iS the beauty of different opinions - I'm certainly blown away, though! I loved it at first, and the more I listen the more I love it still. It feels so mature, so triumphant.

(With my luck they'll probably break up now. So many of my favourite bands release a monumentally great album and then disappear. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
15.05.2009 - 06:32
Hrothdane

Written by Susan on 14.05.2009 at 23:29

(With my luck they'll probably break up now. So many of my favourite bands release a monumentally great album and then disappear. KNOCK ON WOOD!!!)

I know! After Forever's last album was AMAZING...

I still need to check out Edenbridge actually. You have a recommendation for a good album to start with?
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
15.05.2009 - 10:33
Susan
Smeghead
@Hrothdane: Any of them, really. The early two feel like early albums, but still feature some amazing music. The next few are more mature. The only slightly "different" one is The Grand Design which is much more prog, while the others are more symphonic power metal. Depends on your personal tastes. You really can't go wrong with Edenbridge: all albums are solid! (My personal favourites are MyEarthDream and Shine, but everyone has their own favourites!)
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
15.05.2009 - 17:21
GT
Coffee!!
@Hrothdane: I must agree with Lyrinan. I started with The Grand Design myself and haven't heard all their albums yet, but so far they've all been excellent.
----

29.06.2009 - 15:51
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
I started listening to Edenbridge around when Shine was released, and i pretty much got the first 3 and this one all around the same time, and picked up The Grand Design and MyEarthDream when they were released.

I think their best work is on Sunrise In Eden, Arcana and Shine, but as stated above, it really doesnt matter, and it seems there are a range of favourites!

To follow in the lines of what Lyrinan was saying, i agree with her analysis of the bands maturity from the first 3 albums to the next 3. I feel that the first 3 really shows the band alone and holds their 'Edenbridge' sound of an elegant Symphonic Power Metal, where they they diversify their music with more techniques, choirs and orchestration as they progressed picking up a more Progressive sound replacing the Power Metal. The latest album is different again though, kind of hard to explain.
28.07.2010 - 04:49
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Just to bump this thread into action, what does everyone think of Solitaire?
I have found it to be my favourite album out of the last three (The Grand Design and MyEarthDream being the other two).

Every song (besides the typical into/outro waste of time which is on almost every album nowadays) i find to have at least some quality to it. The most notable improvement/change on this album is the solos and heaviness. Almost every song has a killer solo! I think Higher is the only one without one? They are some of the most memorable solos i have heard too. Even the 'weakest' song (i'd still rate it 6/10) Come Undone, has an amazing solo. My two favourites are the ones in 'Out of this World' at 3:46 to 4:58. The other one is in 'Brothers Diamir' from 2:43 to 4:16. Both over a minute of epic Lanvall guitar soloing! I found the Sabine also to have some variety in her vocals, with lots of new experimentations.
Great album, i rate it 9/10.
28.07.2010 - 05:40
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Yes I definitely agree This new album will easily be in my top ten of the year, and I'm more and more inclined to agree with you that this new one is even better than MyEarthDream! Sabine's vocals never have dull moment on the album, and the songs just flow together making for a full experience and not just a mix of great songs. And yes, those solos you mention are excellent. The most difficult thing for me is deciding which parts on the album are my favorites, as there are endless choices
----
28.07.2010 - 11:10
GT
Coffee!!
I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive, but I'll be sure to give an opinion when it does.
----

28.07.2010 - 12:10
Susan
Smeghead
I'm glad people are loving this album - I certainly am! Only time well tell if I come to love it more than MyEarthDream which was simply a masterpiece of metal music, but who knows I agree with Matt that the piano interludes ("bonus tracks") really don't add much, in fact they seem to detract from the flow of the album for me greatly. But once the music starts up again I'm quickly brought back to the world of songs they present on this album, and all is well once more.

The band seems to have found a new energy with the last two albums. They've always had a wonderful sound but there was something ever so slightly static about some of their music. Not so with Solitaire and MyEarthDream. I feel like Edenbridge is just ramping up for greatness
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
01.08.2010 - 02:27
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Written by Susan on 28.07.2010 at 12:10

I'm glad people are loving this album - I certainly am! Only time well tell if I come to love it more than MyEarthDream which was simply a masterpiece of metal music, but who knows I agree with Matt that the piano interludes ("bonus tracks") really don't add much, in fact they seem to detract from the flow of the album for me greatly. But once the music starts up again I'm quickly brought back to the world of songs they present on this album, and all is well once more.

The band seems to have found a new energy with the last two albums. They've always had a wonderful sound but there was something ever so slightly static about some of their music. Not so with Solitaire and MyEarthDream. I feel like Edenbridge is just ramping up for greatness

I only rated one song 5-stars on MyEarthDream (the title song), most others were 4 and a few 3-stars. This album i have 6 5-stars and 3-4 stars. I didn't really get into songs like Undying Devotion and Whale Rider on the last album, where this albums doesn't have those kind of songs.

I find this albums has lots a variety, so it's not so repetitive. I can listen to it through and not get bored. I could not possibly label a favourite song yet.

Yeah they surely will get big soon. I kind of see what you mean for the earlier albums being static. I tihnk it is because they are not so energetic. They are still amazing though, just completely different sound.
09.08.2010 - 14:59
GT
Coffee!!
Just received the album today. It really is as good as you said it would be Lyrinan, DC and dismal Just listened to it once from start to finish but I can already say that I agree on the "new energy" and "not so repetitive" statements.
----