Metal Storm logo
Gun rights in US

Original post

Posted by mz, 14.06.2016 - 04:12
OK, first of all, I've never lived in US, and my information about it comes form internet/movies/ etc.
So, in the shadow of recent Florida shooting, the deadliest of its kind in the history of US, I thought that it might be a good idea to start a topic dedicated to gun rights in US. Especially, it would be interesting if we can get American users to participate in the discussion.
In my opinion, gun in general, and not only assault rifles must be band. It just looks like common sense to me to stop selling something which is made solely for the purpose of killing people. Apparently, the whole argument behind the 2nd amendment had been to guarantee that an oppressive government might want to take over people's life, and in order to prevent from that, people must be able to have guns to take actions agains the government. This maybe had been a good idea a couple of centuries ago, but I really do not think that shotguns and handguns are going to resist against the government with biggest/most powerful army in the world that can use F-22, drones, nuclear weapon, Sr-72 etc. Also, it would be interesting to see what percentage of gun use in US had been rightfully against government overreach.
If we accept the right of people to have guns, then why not setting some limitation and extending back ground check. I know that this might not work all the time, but at least will make it harder for people with disturbing history to get their hands on gun when they feel angry/ sad or they had not had sex in a long time.
The other thing is the type of guns that can be purchased. So, what exactly this AR-15 can be used for? Moreover, I would say some rules limiting the magazine capacities must be in place in all the places, and not only California
One argument against any gun restriction is that bad guys will get their hands on guns anyway even if the guns are banned. The exact same thing can be said about anything else in the world, so what is exactly the reason for following and setting some rules. Moreover, a ban on guns will at least make them more expensive, because it will get harder to find them and people must go to black market for buying one. This just makes guns less spreadout, and hence reduce the deaths caused by guns.
There is this Good Guys With Guns VS Bad Guys With Guns argument also that is too childish to be discussed here.
It is strange that a country so hard on drugs is so soft when it comes to guns. After each high profile gun violence, gun sells and stock market share prices of gun manufacturing companies go up. More gun violence is equivalent to more profit for them, which means they can spend more money on political prostituted and send them to The House/ Senate/ etc. Gun lobbying is one of the strongest forces inside republican party, and seems that they are pretty much popular, in contrary to the likes of ALEC. So, it looks that there is a greater force than just NRA, and people also feel happy to be able to carry guns easily.
What is your opinion about this topic? Do you think that being able to having gun is a part of your personal freedom? And if so, do you think that guns do more good than harm for the society?
27.06.2016 - 16:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by MetalDoomMaster on 27.06.2016 at 04:14

Just wondering, why do people that don't live in the US care about the gun laws here?

I'm wondering the same thing =D
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
08.07.2016 - 15:48
Vombatus
Potorro
I find it funny (or just sad) that police in the US justifies murdering people by saying the victim "had a gun" (and sometimes it's not even true). They try to make it sound as dangerous or something totally uncommon... I mean, isn't that what they want? Precious amendment allowing guns for all? Why do they even try to justify themselves?

Say no more:

25.07.2016 - 19:45
Enteroctopus

USA has many aproblem, but a lot of it comes down to her shear size and geographical diversity. How can one say what happens in Florida applies to Alaska? You'll want a gun there, I'd say. I live in Oklahoma, gun central! While I think it's a bit excessive I do get it that ranchers have to defend their cattle. I mean, we got rattlers and shit! Yes, you'll want to shoot that thing.

But even rural OK vs OKC is a different animal. We need different gun laws in both places. OKC has open carry! Every jackass you see at the grocery store is packing. People always say, "Try to mass shoot with everyone carrying!" Well, that's happened before and it doesn't seem to help (or the 'liberal media' is concealing the massacres which have been prevented that way, sure I'll believe that one. Ha!)

Pretty scary if you think about going to Wal-Mart and some redneck in the dairy aisle has a .357 on his belt. WTF?!

Some guy out riding around on his horse in a state with three of the world's deadliest snakes crawling/swimming around? Well, I HOPE he has a gun. He better.

We're not some little country like Belgium where you can do an across-the-board type of law. Not even sure what their laws are, just picked a relatively wealthy Western-style democracy (Republic, technically no one is an actual democracy). Or Iceland. Lots of cool benefits to being an Icelander, great schools and all, but what's the population? 1 million?

We might look at Germany, though, as a better example. A lot larger, bordering a more diverse variety of other countries, closer to the Middle East, etc. Look at what just happened in Munich.

It's not that something is fundamentally wrong with the USA. It's location, geography, economics. Mass shootings happen in countries like Germany for the same reason they happen here, gun laws or not.

What we should do is take a look at cities that seem to have it figured out, even internationally. Some place with practically zero crime, no mass shootings to speak of. Look at that and say, "What are they doing that we're not?" Try some of those laws out in every US city. Not the countryside, population centers.

New York and Chicago have very little crime as compared to other US cities, and drastically less than they did in the 1980's. A big part of that? Gun control. You just can't waltz around Chicago packing unless you're police or military.

Furthermore, NRA seems to always talk about home invasion. Is that even a problem?! What are the chances of experiencing a home invasion? Getting eaten by a shark? Struck by lightning? It's just almost a negligible problem. Sure, it happens. And people fall off of bridges. Trees fall on people's heads when they are sitting outside having coffee.

The Right likes to worry us about things that practically never happen. Transgender people abusing people in the bathroom. That has literally never happened, and yet they act like there is this epidemic of trans people invading our bathrooms!!

There's your problem: conservatives, or at least specific factions of conservatives. People who watch and believe Fox News. They're the problem.
25.07.2016 - 21:56
Mattybu

Written by Enteroctopus on 25.07.2016 at 19:45

New York and Chicago have very little crime as compared to other US cities

sooooooo

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Chicago-Illinois.html
30.07.2016 - 05:44
Korpi
\m/ ichigan
Http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf#page=27
US Department of Justice statistics: "In the last decade (since 2000) the homicide rate declined to levels last seen in the mid-1960s ".

Like Enteroctopus pointed out, it may not be that enough isn't being done, but that it's being done at the wrong level of government. The US government is/was not designed to function by pushing every issue to the federal level to be solved. It is important that states look at the statistics of gun laws that are working in similar states and try to apply and improve on them. Much of Alaska is a place were gun ownership is basically required as a tool; whereas other states clearly benefit from some level of gun restrictions, and certain states are actually harmed by overly restrictive gun law.
06.11.2017 - 03:43
Drippy.Hippie

I'm absolutely for it. There's a reason why those leftist, hippie snowflakes use emotion rather than rationale to express their opinions against gun ownership. Also, ordinary citizens not "needing" to own an AK is not an argument. Rosa Parks also didn't "need" to sit at the front of the bus! Need is irrelevant.

To summarize my view on this matter in just two words:

Vital Existence!
----
What is the difference between the man who fools you from the pulpit, and the other man who fools you from the platform?
Both of them seek to obtain power over you - To rule your mind, control your property interests or labor power.
06.11.2017 - 04:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
It is clear the true snowflakes are the ones advocating gunownership and call anyone that dusagrees with them commies, lefties, liberals and such and got no fucking clue what commues, lefties, liberals actually mean.

once again it was proved that gun ownership is something totally not needed.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2017 - 04:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
And the Jamaican calling himself Ubermensch when all of his posts he us a total Untermensch with his pot smoking and glorifying substance abuse... well, the less said the better.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.11.2017 - 04:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Sorry not Jamaican but Bahamian. Same o same o.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.02.2020 - 16:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Zwallace on 13.02.2020 at 14:43

Well, I'm concerned about gun policy in the UK. I think we should be more careful about it now. I've been recommended to check out this blog https://www.aaappp.org.uk/ There are some interesting articles there, and I agree with the fact people face police and other state organizations misconduct more and more often. I wish we had more associations like that, helping people to protect their rights.

You need arm your cops whit pistols and assault riffle or shut Gun on cop car, as other countries has. Police must be armed
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing