Metal Storm logo
When do you find time to listen to music?

Original post

Posted by Overrwatcher, 17.06.2016 - 14:22
One thing I've been struggling with, and the main reason why I haven't gone particularly deep into metal (seriously, look at my favorite bands list) is because I can't find enough time to listen to a lot of metal. A lot of the time I'm on voice chat with someone due to being a real big gamer, and I'd rather not listen to music at all than listen to it at a low volume. It sounds like dull noise to me if it's too low. I'm being pushed to play Overwatch as an eventual streamer or pro player (I gotta bring in some income, no matter how little, to stay in the house), and that's a game extremely reliant on audio cues, so no music there. As a result I have like 3 or so hours a day at most for music. Factor in how many songs in there are already stuff I've listened to before, and I've got very little time for exploring new music.

So that brings up a question for you all: Where do you find time to listen to music? Whenever I'm not in a voice chat, playing any game that relies on audio, or needing to talk to anyone, that's when I listen to music. I used to find time within school, but I've got no school until the spring of next year.
31.07.2016 - 01:51
no one
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.07.2016 at 01:06

I remember that quite few times i would return from work, sit in my chair and listen to same one song on repeat for like 6 hours straight...

That's a good way to get a song stuck in your head
31.07.2016 - 02:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund

. I remember that quite few times i would return from work, sit in my chair and listen to same one song on repeat for like 6 hours straight...

I have done same not H but 20 times, IMO obce it was a lot, ms news song cant remember what band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
31.07.2016 - 10:56
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Guest on 31.07.2016 at 01:51

I remember that quite few times i would return from work, sit in my chair and listen to same one song on repeat for like 6 hours straight...

or to get it out ...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
01.08.2016 - 03:04
no one
Account deleted
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 31.07.2016 at 10:56

Written by Guest on 31.07.2016 at 01:51

or to get it out ...

Either way it's weird
03.08.2016 - 12:02
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Bad English on 28.07.2016 at 21:35

ppl at our age biggest problem is kids marriage, adult life, so ,.... I have no such problems

But you're forgetting not all of us sees this as a "problem". "Adult life" is what happens.... and you either go along with it or decide not to. The second option is much easier - I see that with my friends also, who "refuse" to grow up and stay alone and commit to their hobbies. Fine by me, everyone knows what suits them the most. But these are also the people, who "don't have time" for anything, because their lives just don't need organizing. Usually it means 8h a day they will spend at work & that leaves 16 hours for sleep, hobbies and friends. Once you step into the "adult life", things change. You need to organize your day and compromise, but in my case, this works much better. I have a regular job and a career, I'm expecting a baby, I'm keeping up a household and have time for my significant other, as well as my two pets, my friends, music, exercise, enjoying a film or so, go out on fresh air, attend concerts and so on. And I still get to sleep and hang around Internet daily. I have listened to at least 5 new albums in the past two weeks. I attend 10 concerts yearly - would do it more often, but don't find much appropriate bands playing near.

Basically.... the time spent around whining and complicating how much time one does not have could be spent more efficiently. Like actually doing the things he/she likes. But it's easier to sit in a corner and whine, isn't it?
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.08.2016 - 12:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ines -
1th not all who listens metasl atage 17 are metaheads, will they be after 22? Nervel/Lucas and now where is he, do he still listene?
other chategory are metal but just few fav bands from tenager days, not even new albums, so ...

wow baby, congrats

But teenager days are same, school, summer off only, same time school is harder as work and those organbized things well I live in small town I don't need mich time,same time I wanna smaller town
I don't travel for concerts unless its not in Luleå.
I had night shift all should have it I often work at weeends, I don't like ordinary things, I hardly go out I cant go out, non knows true menaing tro go out it means, sit near river or forest, not in caffee or bar, I cant pay, even I can I don't want in principle. I amsving money, pension and so on
----

apos;'
[image]
03.08.2016 - 20:07
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
This topic raised the question of when to find time to listen to music. Doesn't matter if metal or not.

Secondly, school harder than work? In which universe? Not in secondary school. And if a teenager wishes to spend his/her spare time out by the pool/playing video games/watching TV/whatever.... that's just a choice of how to spend his/her time. You can't state that because of that, one does "not have the time".

I also don't have a 8h work day, I work flexible hours - some days 6 hours, some days 12+, even 16, also on weekends - that's just how today's work schedules are. So someone who has a similar life style as me won't take "don't have the time" BS easily. Whether you want to spend money/time on smth, that's a personal decision. Some waste it, some don't.

See, the OP stated: " A lot of the time I'm on voice chat with someone due to being a real big gamer, and I'd rather not listen to music at all than listen to it at a low volume." So basically, she chooses to play video games rather than listen to music. But if playing video games isn't exactly her choice of profession and makes money of it in order to pay the bills, food etc., then it's only a matter of prioritizing and not a matter of not finding the time.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.08.2016 - 21:28
Vombatus
Potorro
^that's true.

Unless you spend 100% of your time working/eating/sleeping (which I doubt any of us does), you have time for music. Just use your leisure time to do so (but if you prefer to do other things, that's different...).

I'm quite lucky coz I'm usually able to listen music at work (with headphones though!). I probably put 2-4 hours a day in that, and then another hour at home. But it fluctuates depending on the mood.
03.08.2016 - 21:56
no one
Account deleted
Written by Vombatus on 03.08.2016 at 21:28

^that's true.

Unless you spend 100% of your time working/eating/sleeping (which I doubt any of us does), you have time for music. Just use your leisure time to do so (but if you prefer to do other things, that's different...).

I'm quite lucky coz I'm usually able to listen music at work (with headphones though!). I probably put 2-4 hours a day in that, and then another hour at home. But it fluctuates depending on the mood.

Yeah im the same, i actually think i would listen to less music if i wasn't working.
03.08.2016 - 23:23
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by AnGina-- on 03.08.2016 at 20:07

This topic raised the question of when to find time to listen to music. Doesn't matter if metal or not.

Secondly, school harder than work? In which universe? Not in secondary school. And if a teenager wishes to spend his/her spare time out by the pool/playing video games/watching TV/whatever.... that's just a choice of how to spend his/her time. You can't state that because of that, one does "not have the time".

I also don't have a 8h work day, I work flexible hours - some days 6 hours, some days 12+, even 16, also on weekends - that's just how today's work schedules are. So someone who has a similar life style as me won't take "don't have the time" BS easily. Whether you want to spend money/time on smth, that's a personal decision. Some waste it, some don't.

See, the OP stated: " A lot of the time I'm on voice chat with someone due to being a real big gamer, and I'd rather not listen to music at all than listen to it at a low volume." So basically, she chooses to play video games rather than listen to music. But if playing video games isn't exactly her choice of profession and makes money of it in order to pay the bills, food etc., then it's only a matter of prioritizing and not a matter of not finding the time.

I did night work, I had a lot of free time, slept from 08:00 to 15:00 no alarm needed, I had planty time Till 21:00
Scoool kills time, you need di home work, and shit, work leave don't take it home
I have flexi to, next weekend be 12h and I love it, I dunno about Slo but in Swev we have extra incomes
Its about people what they have priorities, I come home 1th I do turn my PC on, then take of boots, sweaty t shirt and undies , same when I wake up (unless work starts early) I always turn Pc and music on
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2016 - 11:49
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Bad English on 03.08.2016 at 23:23

Scoool kills time, you need di home work, and shit, work leave don't take it home

Not true. First of all, school takes less hours daily than work and also the only thing mandatory is presence. You can have your brain off in school and do absolutely nothing than sit and wait. Meaning - more energy during the rest of the day to do whatever the hell wanted. Homework & studying takes what .... an hour daily, maybe two? So basically that makes one 8-hour daily work schedule. Not to mention the rest of the day for teenagers is - spare time.

Second of all - who says work stays at work? OK, you can have a job from-to and this is it, but at least here in Slovenia many jobs require over-hours or additional work from home. I work from home almost every day after I finish working in the field or in the office. Hell, I am currently on maternity leave and I still work from home. There is also commuting. Many people here have jobs 50-100km from home so that can make up for 2 hours of additional time just to get to work and back. Whilst every bigger city has a school so unless there is a particular wish for a certain school, pupils don't spend 2 hours daily commuting.

I'm sticking to what I said. Finding time to listen to music is a matter of organizing and prioritizing your spare time. (Unless you're a music journalist and getting payed for writing reviews is your source of income of course )
----
04.08.2016 - 12:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ines
Maybe in Slo and W Europe, in my origin country I did school from 8-15/16 and + 2-3h home work even weekends, so maybe in Swe students don't have home workj, but fuck I was so tired, I did not study I was intelectual that's how I passed,
So work comparing to Lv school is paradise

In Swe if you work for state you can keep work in work, I say we need nationalize more companies, let state owns them here, I never take work home and basically its good, private sector often takes, but well I don't ,
btw if you need 1h for work at home, its good way to listen
----

apos;'
[image]
04.08.2016 - 13:49
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Vombatus on 03.08.2016 at 21:28

Just use your leisure time to do so (but if you prefer to do other things, that's different...).

It's just a few posts back I wrote that sometimes you don't have a time for music.

Well, taking your work/schedule as priority, you really didn't get a leisure time. I've been stuck into cobweb for 8 months and keep gasping for myself from the work that Ford put up on my table. Still, not to blame them as that kind of load has to be taken up by every manager in every section. 2015 drop dead year for me when it come to listen to metal albums. I have literally abstained myself and really don't know how that year of metal went off.

I can't say for others but you have to keep in vaccum of work where you gotta have to stay away from your "free" time and do priorities which up on your schedule.
05.08.2016 - 03:07
FOOCK Nam

Oh come on you know about Edgar.. he is outlaw..we outlaw live wild n free. either adult or playful, you dont have to debate with and ably..

Time for music, when I was in college, everyday night to day but now when im bored. im neither an adult or a kidage but now im very selective when it comes to music. good lyrics and song meaning attracts me. I would recommend to guys for having good time by and with music..

Best time with music is on travel road. that means on bus.. especially good for students. when on bus with music on earsbud nothing beautiful more. even better more when you studied abroad. it helps and really refresh your mind and hearts.. rejuvenatingly etc..
05.08.2016 - 09:46
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Bad English on 04.08.2016 at 12:48

We're pretty off topic now I'd say, so in the end I'll just say: if this is true, then I am living in a completely different universe than everyone else. Because I don't know a single person who has had an easier life when in school comparing to now, when having a job, household to keep up, work around the house, kids to raise and so on.
----
05.08.2016 - 10:04
no one
Account deleted
Written by AnGina-- on 05.08.2016 at 09:46

Written by Bad English on 04.08.2016 at 12:48

We're pretty off topic now I'd say, so in the end I'll just say: if this is true, then I am living in a completely different universe than everyone else. Because I don't know a single person who has had an easier life when in school comparing to now, when having a job, household to keep up, work around the house, kids to raise and so on.

Don't worry, we know it's not you who is living in a completely different universe.
06.08.2016 - 01:10
Mattybu

Written by Guest on 05.08.2016 at 10:04

Don't worry, we know it's not you who is living in a completely different universe.

Keep in mind I'm weird, but I'm actually with K7 on this one if what he was getting at is that life working is a lot better/easier than during school, school (especially university/college) is an absolute hellhole. However, unless you luck out and get a job like mine (although I'm only gonna be doing it 2 more weeks), usually school is better for having time to listen to music during the day.

I'll go back to my universe now
06.08.2016 - 13:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Mattyubu and Ines
In Lv school was hard and still is hard, maybe hardest in whole EU, but whats the point, its more old fucking teaching way
I had no time 8:00-16:00 + 3-4 h home work, I skipped it
My univerety I later change to distance, because I had unofficial job, I did travel 2h basically up from 04:00 to 23.00, a lot of booze and youth in my hand. well I did listen CD on old CD player then, then came CD mp3 player. Half year I travel until I pass out, doc aid take a rest or you will die, so I change to distance
I did listen music a lot then 10hb per day
I did study Swedish and it was as swedes, fuck we had 08:10- - 12:00 + home work 1-2 h so 1h road, music, music home, basically free time
I did study things even do no, + work, basically road to school music, back, music and so on and no home work
I say work is better you have time for music, just don't grow up, have things what you don't want it I always find time for ms and music even I have this weekend off, and I will work next week Monday
04:00 -14:30 , then 16:00-21:00 and weekend 07:00-21:00 something ,
----

apos;'
[image]
13.08.2016 - 00:40
GoatGuild
Account deleted
All the time. When I'm working its a little hard to listen to music. But if I'm home, usually my stereo is on.
13.08.2016 - 11:45
Metren
Dreadrealm
I have been lucky enough in life to listen to a lot of music while at work. I do a little bit of everything having to do with construction and I often take on small projects where I can work alone most of the time. It really does help one get through a long day of hard physical labor when you've got metal ringing in your ears.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
26.08.2016 - 00:27
DualHelix

Written by Overrwatcher on 17.06.2016 at 14:22

One thing I've been struggling with, and the main reason why I haven't gone particularly deep into metal (seriously, look at my favorite bands list) is because I can't find enough time to listen to a lot of metal. A lot of the time I'm on voice chat with someone due to being a real big gamer, and I'd rather not listen to music at all than listen to it at a low volume. It sounds like dull noise to me if it's too low. I'm being pushed to play Overwatch as an eventual streamer or pro player (I gotta bring in some income, no matter how little, to stay in the house), and that's a game extremely reliant on audio cues, so no music there. As a result I have like 3 or so hours a day at most for music. Factor in how many songs in there are already stuff I've listened to before, and I've got very little time for exploring new music.

So that brings up a question for you all: Where do you find time to listen to music? Whenever I'm not in a voice chat, playing any game that relies on audio, or needing to talk to anyone, that's when I listen to music. I used to find time within school, but I've got no school until the spring of next year.

I listen to music as often as possible. It's also funny because I listen to metal a lot when playing Overwatch and it doesn't really affect my performance. Even when I'm in voice chat, I lower it to the point where I can still hear my friend's chat. In my car is the chance I really get to blast it loud, but I do spend a lot of time in my room with headphones on too. Where there's a will, there is a way, if you have to make time, then make it happen!
01.09.2016 - 12:18
FOOCK Nam

Growing older i like the way of fuking edgar bad english, hes smart that being kids in adult time, he can be happy with that,hes not woman, woman like having kids, cuz it their nature more or less in tradition eu country, both sides not bad.. But edgar do survive hard time and now live good in sweden, sweden is great country.. Im strong but fuk living in nam makes me harder life, not too mention i have responsiblity in my family with a bit weakparents.things gonna be alright! I do be positive.
05.09.2016 - 21:19
Crimson Maiden

I listen to lots of music at night mostly before I go to sleep....it relaxes me....
09.09.2016 - 03:48
redmonde

I listen to music everyday particularly when I am stress.
03.07.2022 - 01:35
Joppe
Steelemeister
It is pretty low on my priorities so usually at the evening, if I start with the most important things in the morning.
----
My vision is augmented
05.07.2022 - 21:30
Metal Rasputin

Anytime and anywhere, really: when I drive my car, go outside for a little walk, write something, read a book... I'm always listening to something, it makes me feel comfortable. When people see me wearing headphones they usually don't even bother trying to talk to me, which is preferable when I'm trying to focus on something or lift weights etc.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!