Metal Storm logo
Overr's List Of Worthwhile Deathcore Albums

As much as I love deathcore, I can not deny that the genre kinda sucks. A lot of it is generic, monotonous, and repetitive open-note chugging to create a background for a vocalists who are very talented but all sound the same. That's why you can rely on me to sort through those albums to find the legitimately interesting albums. It's still deathcore, don't get me wrong, so don't be surprised to hear breakdowns and/or BREE BREEs. Unless there was a significant stylistic change, I am only mentioning one album per band. I also am not mentioning Fallujah, The Faceless's Akeldama, or other semi-deathcore bands/albums that are already very well known and loved in the metal community. If you haven't listened to them, please do so, they're fantastic. Albums that are very enjoyable even if you hate deathcore are marked with a (*). It does not mean quality, it means accessibility.

Also check out Uldreth's Deathcore 101 list, it is far more expansive and he is far more knowledgeable about the -core genres than I will ever be. This is nowhere near a complete list, there are a lot more good deathcore albums that I have barely touched. This will be constantly updated as I find more good albums worthy of this list.

I have found out that the list system does NOT support BBCode so I put all of the highlights in the form of a Youtube playlist.. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0WnUWX_ocoML1nHqfcwaTXG7vXA1eIBR

Picture is from the totally not gay "making of" video for Infant Annihilator's "Decapitation Fornication". They are silly.

EDIT: I have gone dormant to worry about personal stuff, but 2017 deathcore is so fire that I'm updating this anyway. Stay tuned.

EDIT 2: Well that didnt happen LMFAO. Not back yet but when I return, I'm remaking this entire list. Now that I have slightly matured, breakdowns have lost a lot of their appeal for me, so I can finally trim the fat.

Created by: Overrwatcher | 20.06.2016

1. Thy Art Is Murder - Holy War
2015 - My personal favorite deathcore album ever. This is only Thy Art's third album, but it is polished and well-rounded as if they had the experience of eight. Everything is on-point outside of an unusual production, but why is this album so special? Because it's one of the only modern deathcore albums to cut back on the number of breakdowns to build up ambient atmosphere. Seriously, this thing is absolutely dripping with bitter, hopeless, resentful atmosphere. It's no longer a "bro check out this sick breakdown" display and now a spine-chilling 39-minute journey of despair with good lyrics, breakdowns that actually feel natural, and more music than just 0-0-0-0-0-0. Those are three things you don't hear about deathcore very often. I could go on and on about how amazing this album is, but fuck it, it's 39 minutes and has a fantastic intro and outro, you probably have time to listen to it. Highlight: "Fur And Claw"
2. Make Them Suffer - Neverbloom
2012 - (*) Make Them Suffer are one of those rare deathcore bands that doesn't just take a gimmick and call it a day (looking at you, Winds Of Plague), but instead go all-out with a stylistic difference in the best way possible. The piano and (albeit rare) female vocals lend itself well to the gothic-romantic mood of the entire album. Ridiculously good highs, great lyrics, and legitimate emotion add to the entire mix too. A very unique album, and one that's actually executed well. Their next album is also really good, losing a lot of the deathcore but one-upping the debut in other ways. Highlight: "Neverbloom"
3. Ovid's Withering - Scryers Of The Ibis
2013 - There are gimmicky deathcore bands, and then there is this fucking album. It is a 72 minute progressive symphonic blackened djent deathcore album. And it's their debut. It even has clean vocals and BREE BREEs in some places. What could possibly go wrong? It's actually pulled off surprisingly well. Seriously, check it out. Avoid everything they put out after this, however, all the original members are gone except for the creepy pedophile. Highlight: "Winter In Tomis"
4. Black Tongue - The Unconquerable Dark
2015 - (*) This shit sounds like the horseman of Pestilence himself recorded this in the deepest, darkest, filthiest sewer possible, plague rats crawling from decaying piles of corpses to heed his call. Downtempo deathcore, doomcore, whatever you want to call it, it has exploded in popularity last year with the release of this album. However, unlike other albums in the sub-subgenre, this one has little beatdown influence and is more straight-up terrifying metal. Definitely one of the heaviest and most crushing releases of 2015 with a rotted and wretched atmosphere, filthy production, and possibly the best guitar tone the genre has ever seen. Very highly recommended for those who like the ridiculously heavy side of doom metal but want something much more vile, wretched, and monstrous. Also recommended if you like being told by demons to writhe in the gutter where you belong like the vermin you are. Highlight: "Vermintine" (featuring Eddie Hermida from All Shell Perish and Suicide Silence)
5. Fit For An Autopsy - Absolute Hope, Absolute Hell
2015 - In a similar vein to Thy Art's Holy War, but with a downtempo influence. There isn't really much to be said that hadn't already been said in my recommendation for Holy War, it's really dark and well-written and while not as bitter and spiteful it is one of the albums that deathcore is proud to call its own. In the words of Thy Art's official youtube channel, "You know it's cash when we are bumpin it 24/7." /r/deathcore's third favorite album of 2015. Highlight: "Absolute Hope Absolute Hell"
6. Thy Art Is Murder - The Adversary
2010 - (*) Does a better job at being a deathcore Cryptopsy than Cryptopsy themselves. That is all you need to know. Oh, and CJ is on point here in everything but his nu-metal reject looks. Highlight: "Soldiers of Immortality"
7. Born Of Osiris - The Discovery
2011 - (*) Jason-core part 1. Guitarist Jason Richardson, fresh out of All Shall Perish, joined a standard djent deathcore band by the name of Born Of Osiris and turned them into a beastly progressive deathcore band with insane sweeps and real songwriting. Unfortunately he was only there for The Discovery and the band declined into a super generic dj0nt band that just 00-00-00'd their way from start to finish on every song with only an occasional sweep to break up the monotony. This album is legit as fuck. Listen to it. Highlight: "Devastate"
8. Chelsea Grin - Ashes To Ashes
2014 - Jason-core part 2. Jason then left Born Of Osiris for Chelsea Grin, who seemed confused on where to take their superstar fame from Desolation of Eden. After releasing an even more confused Evolve with the band, suddenly the holy power of Jason shines through and the band releases an album that can actually be considered good for more reasons than just being ridiculously heavy and brutal. Combining old and new, the crushing heaviness of their older stuff combined with their newer emotion and vocal styles, with a plentiful serving of djent and Jason sweeps, makes for one of the best deathcore albums of 2014. And then Jason leaves due to "creative differences" (in other words: CG wanting to become a cheap Traitors/Black Tongue knockoff) and another band loses their way. He restrained Alex Koehler from making lyrics like "AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT YOU CAN PUBLISH THIS DICK" at the very least. Highlight: "Dust to Dust?"
9. All Shall Perish - The Price Of Existence
2006 - All Shall Perish, Despised Icon, Job For A Cowboy, The Acacia Strain, The Red Chord. Those are the big five deathcore pioneers, and the genre would not be the same without them. The genre actually had riffs and a real edge back then, and the vocalists weren't just Mitch Lucker (Suicide Silence) and Phil Bozeman (Whitechapel) ripoffs. All five bands are very much worth checking out. As to this album in particular, it moves at a very enjoyable pace and Eddie Hermida's vocals are on point here, going to extreme highs to low pig squeals in moments. It's a fantastic album, one that paints the genre in a positive light without being afraid of being straight-up deathcore. I also highly recommend checking out Despised Icon as well while you're at it. They're just as great too. Highlight: "Wage Slaves"
10. The Acacia Strain - Wormwood
2010 - Now to answer the monthly "Are -core genres even metal?" questions, I'll just say that every deathcore band listed here EXCEPT The Acacia Strain and Attila are undeniably metal. TAS is very beatdown-ey while Attila has a lot of rock influences. A Sputnikmusic review summed up The Acacia Strain well: "If you are new to this band the dynamics are really as follows: anger, chugging, and choke slamming someone through 3 tables." They are to deathcore as Hatebreed is to metalcore. But also throw in super, super downtuned guitars and doom metal influences, making them a pioneer of downtempo deathcore before it even became a thing. It's chugging to nearly Emmure level, but they actually sound super, super pissed. Not in a laughable way like https://youtu.be/zxkjfaV9k8Q, but in a genuinely terrifying way. The vocals, lyrics, entire package is absolutely seething with disgusting hatred. "Time to suck today's dick, I hope you choke on it" would sound cheesy coming from Chelsea Grin (even though it's something that would be right up their alley nowdays) but is fitting in Wormwood's case. It's quite a unique album, as is their entire discography, and it's worth a look. Highlight: "Beast"
11. Thy Art Is Murder - The Depression Sessions [Split]
2016 - (*) Now that Thy Art Is Murder, Fit For An Autopsy, and The Acacia Strain have been introduced, go listen to this absolutely phenomenal sendoff (at the time) split to CJ. Easily the rawest, darkest, and most pessimistic material all three bands have ever created, these seriously are some of the best deathcore songs in years. There is no clear winner of this split, all three bands playing at their all-time best. Even the covers are excellently done, if you don't mind the hilarious silliness of an Australian covering Du Hast. Highlight: Thy Art Is Murder - "They Will Know Another"
12. Slice The Cake - Odyssey To The West
2016 - (*) Progressive deathcore that is actually progressive. As in, Dream Theater or Ne Obliviscaris progressive, with super long multi-part songs and spoken word passages and stories and all that goodness. I gave it a first listen and enjoyed it, very stretched out but with tons of emotion and soul. But as with every prog album, it can be a bit inaccessible. It's another one to add to a prog fan's queue, who seem to be the intended audience. Highlights to prog concept albums are pointless.
13. Betraying The Martyrs - Breathe In Life
2012 - The common criticism of Betraying The Martyrs is that they are on the opposite end of the -core problem: Instead of playing too safe and making a forgettable album like any other, they try too hard to be different and can sometimes sound like a confused mess. But to describe them, they've got a much lighter sound in terms of guitar tone and clean vocals to the point where on Reddit they're posted on /r/metalcore instead of /r/deathcore. They are without a doubt a deathcore band however, with blast beats, proper death growls, and deathcore-styled breakdowns. They're not for everyone, they're one of those weird bands that you either love or hate. I personally really enjoyed both of their albums and they said they are going to make a more stable and mature album next so I'm hyped. Highlight: "Because Of You"
14. Iwrestledabearonce - Hail Mary
2015 - (*) Quick, what do you know about Iwrestledabearonce? Their style over substance? Their entire songwriting literally being based around jokes? Their randumb XDDDD humor with electronic segments? Their out-of-place mathcore? Throw that all out the window, that IWABO is long gone now. Welcome the new darker, heavier, sexier, and more mature IWABO. This is one that treads the line between metalcore and deathcore, taking the best of both. It's got metalcore's smooth structures and knack for actually doing something different, and deathcore's crushing brutality. Throw in some interesting songwriting twists like clean vocals and you've got an album that's already better than a lot of the stuff that didn't make the list. Yes, your shitty deathcore band is being beaten by a dank meme. How does that feel? Highlight: "Green Eyes"
15. Carnifex - Slow Death
2016 - Carnifex have been on a nonstop upward trend after a pretty bad past, upping the spookiness and refining their sound to be an enjoyable, but not great, deathcore band with very slight symphonic/blackened touches. Slow Death continues the gradual upward trend, bringing a darker and more varied album that I can finally call blackened deathcore. If the entire album were the quality of "Drown Me In Blood" and "Dark Heart Ceremony" then this would be top 3 in this list. Sadly it is not, but it is still way above the par for such a shitty genre. Play this on Halloween to spook the kids. Highlight: "Drown Me In Blood"
16. RUNNER-UPS: Albums that just missed the mark by just a little bit. These albums are still solid, but often are filled with deathcore tropes. Your level of enjoyment may vary depending on what you think of said tropes. Expect a lot of chugging and Thy Art Is Murder worship.
17. Whitechapel - This Is Exile
2008 - An album that unfortunately has not aged well, simply because their style (which wasn't super unique to begin with) was copied to hell and back. It's a lot more tame than a lot of the albums here, a lot more death metal influenced, to the point where I feel as if it can sometimes hit a very dull middle ground. But there is still solid musicianship and Phil Bozeman's insane unproduced vocals. Seriously, he does this shit perfectly live. Highlight: "Possession"
18. AngelMaker - Dissentient
2015 - Deathcore: The Album. Every single deathcore trope you can imagine possible, thrown in here. Seriously, I recommend making a list of all you hate about deathcore, listen to a song, and see how many you can check off. If you are fine with the tropes then this is very enjoyable however. It's seriously heavy, has an insane vocal display that makes oldschool Alex Koehler cry, and very well produced with just enough variety to avoid feeling repetitive. Very good instrumental track too. /r/deathcore's second favorite album of 2015. Highlight: "A Dark Omen"
19. Aversions Crown - Xenocide
2017 - Aversions Crown make some top-notch Thy Art-worshipping ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つADD TO DATABASE༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ-core but Xenocide is such a massive step up for the band. They still nail the alien atmosphere like no other band, but this time with top-notch production, a beastly new vocalist, and a more distinctive sound carved out for themselves. Don't expect a revolutionary deathcore album, just one done extremely well. Highlight: "Erebus"
20. Job For A Cowboy - Doom
2005 - Once upon a time, there was a site called Myspace. On Myspace were a bunch of 17 year olds with stupid haircuts playing this hot new shit with vocals that went BREE BREE BREE BREE. The band's name was Job For A Cowboy, and Doom was their product. Much to the dismay of the metal community, Doom took off in popularity, turning deathcore into a proper genre that would remain very alive even over a decade later. This actually isn't too bad though. It's some grindy death metal with balls, breakdowns, and BREE BREEs. Turn your brain off and let your ears get assaulted by the nonstop BREE-age. Highlight: "Entombment of a Machine"
21. Cryptopsy - The Unspoken King
2008 - (*) Yes, I put this here. No, it's not a 1/10 like you probably claim. This is very much a love-it-or-hate-it album, but it's actually really not bad. It's really different from anything else out there, and at best is a fresh, meaty, and ballsy revival for a band losing steam. Tracks like "The Headsmen" and "Silence Your Tyrants" are super fast, energized, and brutal, the Cryptopsy way. At worst it's godawful. Look at "Bemoan The Martyr" and the ridiculously long "Bound Dead" for prime examples of how it can go wrong. Instrumentally the album is mostly great as usual, with Flo being Flo, but the new keyboardist being nearly invisible (probably a good thing). Vocally it's pretty weak, Matt sounds like a weaker Alissa White-Gluz (The Agonist, Arch Enemy) and doesn't even have clean vocals to save him. But as a whole the album is worth a listen. It's still distinctly Cryptopsy, just with a few twists. Some for the better, some for the worse. One thing is for sure though: As Jupitreas's review says, this album has balls. Highlight: "The Headsmen"
22. Bring Me The Horizon - Count Your Blessings
2006 - Put away everything you know about what is one of the most hated bands in metal (whether or not it's deserved). This is incredibly different from everything else they had ever released. And this is a very inconsistent album. For every good moment there's an awful one. For everything the album does right, there's something it did wrong. Some really great technical riffs, then some awful breakdowns. Some really catchy moments, then some song-ruining halts. For a bunch of 17 year olds, damn they could play though. It is still a deathcore classic, however, and I still think that the band could have shaped up to be a respectable death metal band (Job For A Cowboy style) if they weren't so afraid of their image. The second half of Braille is my favorite moment in all of deathcore, ever. Highlight: "Braille"
23. Chelsea Grin - Desolation Of Eden
2010 - Oldschool Chelsea Grin chugged and chugged and chugged and chugged, but god damn it can't be denied that they make it sound brutal as fuck without becoming tedious like a slam band would. They had the PERFECT guitar tone for the type of music, and Alex's vocals were so insanely high that he was an even more polarizing factor than the sheer heaviness of the band. This shit hits hard. Highlight: "Recreant"
24. As Blood Runs Black - Allegiance
2006 - Take deathcore, and give it very strong influences from melodeath, and add quite a bit of fun, and you've got this album. I'm actually not very much of a fan of this one, the songs are near impossible to tell apart and they managed to to the impossible by fucking up an instrumental intermission. But a lot of people really like it, and it is a classic for a reason. Highlight: "My Fears Have Become Phobias"
25. Attila - Rage
2010 - Yes, I'm talking about the band that later made musical diarrhea like https://youtu.be/qLYoJgbybes. No, I'm not sorry. But let me explain: Rage is actually pretty good. Back then, they were just a bunch of frat kids who wanted to party and have fun, and their music reflects that. If you're taking this shit seriously then of course you're going to hate it. You're taking them more seriously than they do themselves. It loses part of its appeal if you don't understand American fraternity culture, but even then it's got some genuinely kickass guitar riffs and very solid musicanship (aside from a few awkward breakdowns). Fronz's vocals are at his peak here as well, with a very unique and distinctive style fitting to the music. Most of MS probably won't like this but I still think it's worth mentioning. Outlawed was alright as well, but avoid their other albums for anything than a few laughs. Oh, and suck my fuck. Highlight: "Jumanji"
26. TO BE ADDED: Albums/Bands that I know I will add to the list but still need to write about. If it's just a band with no album, then I have decided they are worth mentioning but haven't chosen an album to focus on yet.
27. After The Burial
I'm not the biggest fan of djent deathcore bands but they very much deserve mentions and I've always been meaning to get into them. Please remain patient while I add them.
28. Enterprise Earth - Patient 0
2015 - A grower for me, at first I didn't care much for it but it's a very solid slab of alien-themed Thy Art worship.
29. Fit For An Autopsy - The Great Collapse
2017 - One of the darkest and most pessimistic deathcore albums ever. Like holy shit.
30. Infant Annihilator - The Elysian Grandeval Galèriarch
2016 - Going on the top-tier part of this list. This shit is ridiculously good. Infant Annihilator is a joke band on the opposite end of their (excluding vocalist) main band Black Tongue, so instead of playing really fucking slow they play really fucking fast. The EGG is a significant improvement over their mediocre debut that was lacking in anything other than technicality, adding interesting and more varied songwriting, a better vocalist (not that the previous one was bad), and infinitely more slap bass solos. It even has an 18 minute song. What's not to love?
31. Ion Dissonance - Cursed
2010 - So, a quick explanation on how I handle this section of the list: I find a new album, I find it very good, I add it here until I give it a few more listens to write more in-depth about it. I have an aversion to mathcore bands because I don't like how most of them are chaotic and mathy just for the sake of being chaotic and mathy. I was told Ion Dissonance is different, and my god they really are. The way they mix the mathcore in with the deathcore is outstanding, making an incredibly heavy yet coherent album.
32. Shadow Of Intent - Reclaimer
2017 - My album of the year so far. More description to come.
33. Veil Of Maya
Same boat here as After The Burial.
34. BANDS NOT TO BE ADDED: I'm sorry.
35. The Black Dahlia Murder
(*) I love the band, but if one more person calls them deathcore I'm gonna strangle them. Just stop. They are on the heavier end of melodeath and had some metalcore influences in their first two albums. Death metal + metalcore does not mean always mean deathcore. It can . I'm also going to take this opportunity to say that The Agonist and other heavily DM-influenced metalcore/melodeath do not have a place on this list. No matter how brutal the end of Eulogies may be, one minute of deathcore does not make a band deathcore.
36. Emmure
https://youtu.be/J6u-wt5O0UI
37. Lorna Shore
I should love them and everything they stand for but I just can't. The low vocals just have absolutely no enunciation to them, combined with poorly done production it all sounds like a giant gargle of words for minutes on end. That is what keeps me far away from the band.
38. Oceano
Depths is their only half-decent album, and even then I feel as if it's twice as long as it should be. "District Of Misery" is fantastic, and Adam Warren is a ridiculously good vocalist, but the music is overly chuggy and desperately wants to be "brutal" but comes off as sluggish and awkward. I'll let this video explain it: https://youtu.be/gNSvJc0LgHg
39. Rings Of Saturn
I'm sorry, I don't like Rings Of Saturn at all. Their music feels super hollow and overly wanky, not even in an ironic fun side-project way like Infant Annihilator. A music major friend of mine big into classical music said he can't get into metal because he can't stand the drum patterns, and that's how I feel with Rings Of Saturn. WE FUCKING GET IT YOU CAN PROGRAM DRUMS. The music just feels super fake. So does Infant Annihilator to a degree, but at least they can write proper music and don't program all their instruments.
40. Suicide Silence
I just feel as if they have a few great moments in each album that they just can't sustain for long enough to be worthwhile. If I had to choose an album, No Time To Bleed has a few good songs, namely "Smoke", "Lifted", and "Disengage", but they are the exceptions. The Black Crown, although I overall disliked it, at least had the band try new stuff out. I even liked the overly-chuggy "You Only Live Once" and the universally panned Jonathan Davis (Korn) collab "Witness The Addiction". But while the band isn't good, they aren't horrible either. Really, they don't have any bad albums, they just also don't have any good albums. They are firmly "meh".
41. Traitors
Overly beatdown tough-guy for my tastes. I can handle The Acacia Strain, this is a bit too macho for me. This is how I feel for a lot of downtempo and beatdown for me.
42. Xibalba (USA)
(*) This shit is seriously violent and really good, and technically fits into the definition of deathcore. They're literally death metal + hardcore, what's not to love? But I feel as if their stuff is so radically different from radically everything else in the list that it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Check them out, don't expect your average Whitechapel worship though.
43. Waking The Cadaver
shredded wheat. shredded wheat. shredded wheat. shredded wheat.
44. Winds Of Plague
They suck. They really, really do. Bands like them are the reason why the genre is so looked down upon. They can't even do generic deathcore well, as their breakdowns are piss-poor and the vocals weak outside of some okay pig squeals. That's how low they are.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Overrwatcher ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 17   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 163 users
20.06.2016 - 16:51
Overrwatcher

I've been waiting to say "suck my fuck" in a format that wasn't direct quotations, and I'm so happy that I found an opportunity to. That is all. Thank you based Fronz.
----

Written by Dr. Strawberry on 12.06.2016 at 19:43

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
20.06.2016 - 18:53
FYA
Destroyer
Slice The Cake and "The Discovery" from BoO <3 Btw. why no Veil Of Maya?
20.06.2016 - 19:07
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
I would have expected After The Burial's Rareform to be here, but then again I'm not a deathcore fan. All Shall Perish and Born Of Osiris are the only bands in the genre I actually care for
21.06.2016 - 05:07
Overrwatcher

There is no Veil Of Maya or After The Burial because I have a hard time remaining interested in djent deathcore unless it is exceptionally executed like in The Discovery or in general has something to help it stand out (like the blackened symphonic elements in Scryers Of The Ibis). I'm more on #TeamMetalcore in the djent wars because I don't want to live in a world without Protest The Hero and The Human Abstract.

Both will eventually be added, however, because they are good bands. I just need to get around to them more. I heard the main single from ATB's latest album and really liked it, so it's right up next in my backlog of albums to listen to. I'm also going to add As Blood Runs Black's debut since that's one I forgot to mention.
----

Overwatcher, MS Xena, crumbled him in no time. MS needs you to kill the boredom in here.
29.06.2016 - 18:27
Uldreth

Nice list, and I am flattered to have my own referenced :p .

Some comments:

- I recognized the cover picture instantly, and I love you for it. Best music video ever?

- I might need to check out that CG album Ashes to Ashes again, I think I did listen to it once, but I didn't really feel the Jason vibes. Maybe I should give it another shot.

- I know you said you don't like djent deathcore that much but did you ever give Oceano's latest (Ascendants) a shot? If you only know Depths/Contagion/Incisions (with which I agree that the latter two are terrible), you might be pleasantly surprised. A song off it:

- Oh, djent deathcore once again, but if you liked Exoplanet, you need to listen to this:

The atmospheric elements are better integrated, imo, although the album as a whole lacks anything as stunning as Flourish is.

- Everything screams I should hate that Black Tongue album, but I actually agree with your assessment. There is something so primal and violent about it, that it manages to entertain me immensely.

- I think I am one of the few people who prefer The Adversary over everything else TAIM has ever done. The guitar tone, the compositions, the way they play with the tempo and tone of the breakdowns, I find it a very one-of-a-kind thing. Holy War is a close second though, and Fur and Claw is also my favourite off it.

- I find it strange you highlight Wage Slaves off The Price of Existence, I find it to be the worst track on the album, except for that jizzworthy TAAAAAAAKE IIIIIIIIIIT BAAAAAAAAAACK screech from Hermida, which is just full of win.

At any rate, very cool list and is nice to see another -core fan, yey.
30.06.2016 - 10:24
Overrwatcher

Written by Uldreth on 29.06.2016 at 18:27

Nice list, and I am flattered to have my own referenced :p .

Some comments:

- I recognized the cover picture instantly, and I love you for it. Best music video ever?

Definitely the best video ever. It's the perfect blend of fun, silliness, bromance, and shock value. Their latest video felt like it went too far in the shock value section and lost the "two bros doing stupid shit" fun.

Quote:

- I might need to check out that CG album Ashes to Ashes again, I think I did listen to it once, but I didn't really feel the Jason vibes. Maybe I should give it another shot.

Jason influences are all over the album. Especially "...To Ashes" and "Dust To Dust..." are filled with his signature sweeps. The entire album also in general gives me a bit of a Born Of Osiris vibe, just with extra chugging and Alex's ever-polarizing vocals. I highly recommend giving it another shot, it's an album that gets better with every listen and it's by far the best album they will ever make.

Quote:
- I know you said you don't like djent deathcore that much but did you ever give Oceano's latest (Ascendants) a shot? If you only know Depths/Contagion/Incisions (with which I agree that the latter two are terrible), you might be pleasantly surprised. A song off it:
(link)

- Oh, djent deathcore once again, but if you liked Exoplanet, you need to listen to this:
(link)
The atmospheric elements are better integrated, imo, although the album as a whole lacks anything as stunning as Flourish is.

I haven't been able to listen to music all day but I'll give those three links a listen when I get a chance. I actually have not listened to The Contortionist before, and probably won't mention them because they're part of the "respected semi-deathcore" area which I feel is pointless to mention.

Quote:
- Everything screams I should hate that Black Tongue album, but I actually agree with your assessment. There is something so primal and violent about it, that it manages to entertain me immensely.

Exactly how I feel too. I actually don't like the downtempo explosion that has happened recently because nearly every band just copies The Acacia Strain and become overly beatdown-ey (even Black Tongue did it for their debut EPs) and not only does it make all the albums feel same-ey but it lacks any emotion other than anger when it could be so much more. I don't need a million bands to tell me to choke on a metaphorical dick when the first band did it well enough anyway. The Unconquerable Dark is darker, scarier, and more violent than anything The Acacia Strain (and their million clones) has ever put out.

Quote:
- I think I am one of the few people who prefer The Adversary over everything else TAIM has ever done. The guitar tone, the compositions, the way they play with the tempo and tone of the breakdowns, I find it a very one-of-a-kind thing. Holy War is a close second though, and Fur and Claw is also my favourite off it.

The Adversary was my favorite for the longest time, and I still think that the two mentioned albums are miles better than the other two releases Thy Art have put out (not that I dislike Hate). The tempo is by far the best part of the album, just moving so fast and finding new melodies to tie into the music. In terms of musicianship and composition it's a beautiful album. The first breakdown in "Soldiers Of Immortality gets me every time.

Quote:
- I find it strange you highlight Wage Slaves off The Price of Existence, I find it to be the worst track on the album, except for that jizzworthy TAAAAAAAKE IIIIIIIIIIT BAAAAAAAAAACK screech from Hermida, which is just full of win.

I find "Wage Slaves" to be such a catchy song, especially with the cowbell intro. It's the kind of song to get stuck in my head for days on end.
----

04.07.2016 - 08:48
Overrwatcher

I added Cryptopsy to the list, because I like watching the world burn. Oh yeah, also because it's not a bad album. Bad songs, sure, but it has some merit.

I actually think that while the clean singing isn't very good, there are some moments when it fits very well. "The Plagued" has some nice clean-harsh harmonies, and sometimes there really is this well-executed longing depressive feel to it. Sometimes, however, it's just NO GOD PLEASE STOP. The two lowlights are prime examples of the latter.

As to your links: I really didn't like the new Oceano album, extremely monotone and repetitive, nearly to point of being ear-grating. We get it, you are brutal. Now learn to write music. Depths at least shook things up a bit. Exoplanet was alright, but my thing about djent albums is that it takes me multiple listens to really digest and like the album, so it's too early for me to tell. Your linked band was pretty good, I liked it more than The Contortionist, but they could do with some shorter and more concise songs.
----

10.09.2016 - 19:06
Sircheesewhistle

The only Winds Of Plague releases i actually like is Decimate The Weak and The Great Stone War as well as a couple of song of Resistance but otherwise, yeah they're not to great.
11.09.2016 - 00:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
I didn't really understand what you meant on the commentary for Xibalba. Not sure if you like them or not ahahhaha (I do, although it's not deathcore to me).
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
11.09.2016 - 03:06
Overrwatcher

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.09.2016 at 00:36

I didn't really understand what you meant on the commentary for Xibalba. Not sure if you like them or not ahahhaha (I do, although it's not deathcore to me).

I kind of like them, but not enough for me to get their stuff. Instead of going really fast and grindy, I prefer slow and doom-ey, if you kind of get what I mean. I just threw their name in there because their name occasionally comes up with "deathcore that doesn't sound like deathcore" discussions and they're a pretty damn good band for what they do.
----

11.09.2016 - 11:20
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Overrwatcher on 11.09.2016 at 03:06

I kind of like them, but not enough for me to get their stuff. Instead of going really fast and grindy, I prefer slow and doom-ey, if you kind of get what I mean. I just threw their name in there because their name occasionally comes up with "deathcore that doesn't sound like deathcore" discussions and they're a pretty damn good band for what they do.

Ah, I see. I always saw them as a deathmetal band that had hardcore elements thrown here and there, specially with their last album which I reviewed when it came out. You know more abou this stuff than I do (thanks for the list!) so i suppose I can't contribute very much. I suppose you either see Ion Dissonance as too much mathcore or don't like them as I don't see them here. The first two albums are more "mathy" but Minus The Herd and Cursed definitely sound more grounded on deathcore at least to me.

I also recall a band called El Comer Ocho ("The eating eight"... fucking weird of a name). Pretty great tuff with some thrashy hardcore influence (like The Haunted), varied tempo and some rap moment in a song because why the hell not. Let me know what you thought of it!
----
Rod, let me love you.
12.09.2016 - 13:25
Overrwatcher

Written by X-Ray Rod on 11.09.2016 at 11:20

Written by Overrwatcher on 11.09.2016 at 03:06

Ah, I see. I always saw them as a deathmetal band that had hardcore elements thrown here and there, specially with their last album which I reviewed when it came out. You know more abou this stuff than I do (thanks for the list!) so i suppose I can't contribute very much. I suppose you either see Ion Dissonance as too much mathcore or don't like them as I don't see them here. The first two albums are more "mathy" but Minus The Herd and Cursed definitely sound more grounded on deathcore at least to me.

I also recall a band called El Comer Ocho ("The eating eight"... fucking weird of a name). Pretty great tuff with some thrashy hardcore influence (like The Haunted), varied tempo and some rap moment in a song because why the hell not. Let me know what you thought of it!

Xibalba is pretty much the literal "hardcore + death metal" fusion. Whether or not they fit the deathcore definition is up to interpretation more than anything. With every fusion genre there will always be an "other end". For all the Killswitch Engages and Chimairas of the world (more metal than core) there are Underoaths and A Day To Remembers (more core than metal). Same concept goes to deathcore, except for every Thy Art Is Murder (debut literally being cryptopsy with breakdowns) there is The Acacia Strain, stressing more of a chuggy beatdown hardcore style. I'd say that Xibalba is on that "other end" of deathcore, but staying truer to the roots of both hardcore punk AND death metal than your average deathcore band.

I actually have never got a chance to really listen to Ion Dissonance. I'm really not a mathcore fan (Iwrestledabearonce's one not-shit album being the farthest I'm willing to go) but if their later stuff is more grounded I'll definitely check it out tomorrow. Holy shit, Hail Mary was the album that got accidentally deleted in one of my other drafts. Added it now, it's arguably more metalcore than deathcore but it's still really fucking heavy, not even in a metalcore way.

El Comer Ocho... I'm getting a real strong Fear Factory style groove in the style, with that tuning that I agree has a slight The Haunted tinge. I'm digging it, but I wish the vocals had just a little more variation in them. And I'm completely down for the weird rap moment. The music is inherently tough-guy and punk-influenced, combined with deathcore being an "outcast genre" and a band like this is most qualified to putting rap in their sound. I was going to ask why no other band has done it before, and then I remembered that I cleansed the other band from my memory for a reason.
----

12.09.2016 - 20:13
Sircheesewhistle

I'm just curious since they're not on this list but what's your opinion on bands like Impending Doom?
12.09.2016 - 22:34
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Overrwatcher on 12.09.2016 at 13:25
I actually have never got a chance to really listen to Ion Dissonance. I'm really not a mathcore fan (Iwrestledabearonce's one not-shit album being the farthest I'm willing to go) but if their later stuff is more grounded I'll definitely check it out tomorrow. Holy shit, Hail Mary was the album that got accidentally deleted in one of my other drafts. Added it now, it's arguably more metalcore than deathcore but it's still really fucking heavy, not even in a metalcore way.

Here are a couple of suggestions for songs to check out. Minus the Herd is overall less mathy than Cursed but I still recommend you to give both a chance. But start off with Minus The Herd!

From Minus The Herd:
- The Surge (first track I listened by them, it destroyed me. Loved the dark atmosphere).
- Shunned Redeemer (a bit more mathy but the riffs and breakdowns are really addictive, specially at the end).
- Tarnished Trepitation (great closer for this album, summing up the darker tone of the album)

From Cursed:
- You People Are Messed Up (haha that title, this is one of the more mathy songs from this album. If you don't mind it then you can go safely with the restof the album).
- This Is The Last Time I Repeat Myself (the breakdown at 0:50 broke my legs. They just sound so pissed off I love it).
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.09.2016 - 06:54
Overrwatcher

Written by X-Ray Rod on 12.09.2016 at 22:34
Here are a couple of suggestions for songs to check out. Minus the Herd is overall less mathy than Cursed but I still recommend you to give both a chance. But start off with Minus The Herd!

From Minus The Herd:
- The Surge (first track I listened by them, it destroyed me. Loved the dark atmosphere).
- Shunned Redeemer (a bit more mathy but the riffs and breakdowns are really addictive, specially at the end).
- Tarnished Trepitation (great closer for this album, summing up the darker tone of the album)

From Cursed:
- You People Are Messed Up (haha that title, this is one of the more mathy songs from this album. If you don't mind it then you can go safely with the restof the album).
- This Is The Last Time I Repeat Myself (the breakdown at 0:50 broke my legs. They just sound so pissed off I love it).

I checked out Cursed, and holy shit this is great. It's mathy, yes, but not overly so like your average Converge or Dillinger Escape Plan worship. It still sounds like coherent music. They really know how to make the mathiness add to the music without stealing the show, and the end result is heavy and angry as fuck while still being distinctly deathcore. I'm definitely adding this to the A tier on my list.

Written by Sircheesewhistle on 12.09.2016 at 20:13

I'm just curious since they're not on this list but what's your opinion on bands like Impending Doom?

There are three camps for generic deathcore: Thy Art worship, Whitechapel worship, and The Acacia Strain worship.

Thy Art worship is in style right now and has some pretty good stuff, and because I'm such a big fan of the original band I find myself enjoying these bands. Aversions Crown, Enterprise Earth, and Slaughter To Prevail are textbook bands in this definition, and all three are very fast-rising bands getting signed to big-name labels quickly. Atmospheric minimalistic chugging with a few riffs and blastbeats thrown in is a tried-and-true definition.

Whitechapel worship is stuff like Impending Doom, and I feel about it the exact same way I feel about Whitechapel: It's alright, pretty much impossible to call bad, but also hard to call exceptional. It's just kinda there, when it comes on I don't regret listening to it but I mostly just listen to "Possession" (and later the entirety of This Is Exile) again and again and again and again and again and it fills all my Whitechapel needs. It's the absolute most average deathcore imaginable, the kind that scores no higher than an 8 but no lower than a 6. But god damn "Possession" is so catchy, especially the segment I linked.

The Acacia Strain worship is more of a recent trend, with Traitors, Black Tongue, and Fit For An Autopsy (who admit to having massive influences from both Thy Art and TAS). In other words, macho downtempo deathcore. I find this to be the best of the three stereotypes, it seems to be much more willing to step out of the boundaries and try something new. Black Tongue went super sludgy/doomy and FFAA has become Gojira.

Impending Doom's newest record was pretty decent though, the last song was pretty interesting.
----

15.02.2017 - 14:11
FYA
Destroyer
But where is Acrania? :<
25.11.2017 - 02:54
Sircheesewhistle

I'd definetly recommend A Night In Texas and Until We Die if you haven't done so already. The former in particular whos highs are insane.

Hits total: 18263 | This month: 5