05. Guerra Santa
06. Failed System
07. Hostages
08. Surrounded By Serpents
09. Cyber War
10. Hypocrisy
11. Devastation
12. Wayfarer [bonus]

It's difficult to believe that Nervosa is only a trio. Able to wield the muscle and bulk of a death metal band without taking on too much to weight to cut loose and mosh through most of the album, this latest flag-bearer of the Brazilian thrash tradition has a thick, brutal sound that doesn't entirely save Agony from middle-of-the-road songwriting, but captures attention long enough to get the hooks in.

Fernanda Lira snarls with such force and conviction that, even if the lyrics don't have much truck with me, I don't tire of hearing the strains of Schmier and Tom Angelripper coming through. Memorable vocal delivery goes a long way in selling a band, especially if there are some genre-standard songs to be compensated for, and Agony is nothing if not a lot of old thrash tropes packed tightly together. The album offers slightly more than meets the eye, though.

"Deception" has the cadence and spastic, spurtive riffing of a Cannibal Corpse song; after this song plays out its obvious indebtedness to death metal, Agony's deathly side becomes more prominently exposed. It has been a while since I last heard a death-thrash band that could attend to both sides of the label without simply smashing them together. Death-thrash as a genre has never been all that interesting to me, due to the fact that so many artists seem to achieve that sound by taking the blandest aspects of each genre and simply playing them more angrily. Nervosa can incorporate thrash and death into each other without actually mixing them together; even if Nervosa's sound has an ocean of precedent out there and most of the songs on Agony aren't particularly memorable, Nervosa's approach to playing makes the band stand out just a bit more than the norm in my estimation.

By and large, Agony follows the rules of the thrash genre; there is nothing here that you haven't heard on the last couple of Slayer albums. "CyberWar" is fun in a traditional manner without getting too mired in its own unsustainability, and the half- Death Angel, half- Sepultura "Hypocrisy" shows off some ear-catching lead guitar work. "Wayfarer," the album's closer and longest number, pulls back for a swinging, cleanly-sung blues number that soon descends into more chthonic riffing, ultimately turning into some kind of cross-genre thrill ride with the most interesting riffs present on the album.

Most of Agony is pretty enjoyable as another fair-to-middling modern thrash album, spiked with more gruesome death metal elements throughout. Only in the last few tracks do Nervosa's real talent and songwriting ability begin to manifest themselves in earnest. The sudden stylistic shift at the beginning of "Wayfarer" came as quite a shock at first, but after further consideration, it seems that Agony ends just as it is getting interesting. There is always more room for standard thrash or death-thrash in the world, but I think we'd all still prefer something more interesting than that, and Nervosa apparently has the capability to provide that something. Let's hope that the band can nurture and fully manifest the promise shown at the end of Agony.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 6
Originality: 4
Production: 7

Written on 27.06.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 124 users
27.06.2016 - 12:11
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Curious about this one. Liked their debut and this seems to go in the same direction, judging by your review.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
28.06.2016 - 07:56
Rating: 9
Apolyon666

This is hogwash... sick album!!!
05.07.2016 - 17:58
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wayfarer judging from samples is best, a diferent and even how good this band are, 3 people indeed awesome, but what worlks here more is a female factor, I doubt band would be so known if those 3 would be dudes
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2016 - 15:07
Sean 79

Written by Bad English on 05.07.2016 at 17:58

Wayfarer judging from samples is best, a diferent and even how good this band are, 3 people indeed awesome, but what worlks here more is a female factor, I doubt band would be so known if those 3 would be dudes

Yes because women only get signed because they are women
07.07.2016 - 15:08
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Sean 79 on 07.07.2016 at 15:07

Written by Bad English on 05.07.2016 at 17:58

Yes because women only get signed because they are women

musically this band don't impress and I don't see anything how they can be high... generlic thrash band,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2016 - 15:27
Sean 79

Quote:
Quote:

musically this band don't impress and I don't see anything how they can be high... generlic thrash band,

Have you been living under a rock the last few years? The scene is awash with new generic thrash bands with kids with bum fluff on their faces and looking like they were in Heavy Metal Parking Lot. Not sure how "high" you think they are. Any decent band who put the effort they did into promoting themselves before they got signed could easily fill the 100 or 200 people size venues they do.
14.07.2016 - 03:15
MrEdu3

In Brazil this band have many haters. I'm one of them. haha
The musicians plays bad.
30.08.2016 - 20:55
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by MrEdu3 on 14.07.2016 at 03:15

The musicians plays bad.

Your ears are probably located too near your pecker

Good pick of review, will look in to these guys more.
31.08.2016 - 05:14
MrEdu3

Written by Guest on 30.08.2016 at 20:55

Written by MrEdu3 on 14.07.2016 at 03:15

The musicians plays bad.

Your ears are probably located too near your pecker

Good pick of review, will look in to these guys more.

In studio the situation is much diverse. The problem is live. I don't know how they are actually (i don't listen the last album), but i see the birth of band (I'm from Brazil). Search "Nervosa no Estúdio Showlivre 2012 - Apresentaçāo na íntegra" in the youtube and see with your own eyes, in 11:45 they play a horrible cover of Suicidal Tendencies.

In other video (Masked Betrayer videoclip) see how the guitarrists hold a pick.
And i like the work of other girls in rock and metal, but Nervosa, NO.

Hits total: 4810 | This month: 17