Release date: 2007

01. Atlas Of Sorrow
02. Godless Commune Of Sodom
03. A Window of Madness
04. Curse Of The Bard
05. The Struggle Eternal
06. Gealtacht Mael Mordha
07. Minions Of Manannan

"Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha" is the second album of the Celtic Doom Metal band from Ireland, Mael Mórdha. Between Doom and pagan folk music, this album is really nice because it's not so easy to find such kind of releases nowadays. Its originality but also of course the quality of the compositions of the band will please the fans of Doom like the one who like Celtic music and legends. Yes, you should have a look on this release I think?

"Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha" is really epic. Musically speaking we could compare it to a good album of Doom Death with however an important difference. Here, you'll not be able to hear some Death vocals, Roibéard Ó Bogail sings (and talk) with a voice which is a bit similar to the one of Aaron Stainthorpe (when he doesn't sing with his death vocal voice) but which is a lot more epic too. Also, it's Celtic Doom, so you'll be able to listen to some whistle and if it's original, it also fits perfectly to Doom Metal. All in all, "Gealtacht Mael Mórdha" is a nice album of Doom Metal with seven good songs and with a lot of excellent ambiances. That's one of the strong points of the album actually, when you'll listen to the album, you'll surely have the feeling that you're traveling in time through the vast lands of Ireland.

With some good lyrics which talk about Celtic legends, with a nice production and a really good interpretation, "Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha" is a really pleasant album. This mix of Doom and Celtic music is highly enjoyable though don't believe that it's Folk Metal too. It's Doom above everything else but the cool Irish spirit that we can find in this music is really nice. "Gealtacht Mael Mórdha" is a good album, it's a good release of Doom and I'm sure that you'll pass a good moment when you'll listen to the release but it's not so easy of access too and you'll maybe need time to enjoy all the songs. They're not so easy of access and not so catchy, "Gealtacht Mael Mórdha" is not an album of easy and commercial Doom Metal.

If you like Doom or if you like Celtic music, I really think that you should have a look on the new release of Mael Mórdha. "Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha" is a good album of original Doom, and it will be a good means to listen to something different. Really believe me if it's maybe not the album of the decade, at least "Gaeltacht Mael Mórdha" will please all the ones who like this kind of music. Doom Metal, but also Folk and Pagan Metal lovers, that's for you.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 9
Production: 8

Written by Jeff | 28.03.2007

Comments

Comments: 9   Visited by: 69 users
29.03.2007 - 09:07
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
The cover is awesome, they sound quite interesting.
29.03.2007 - 11:15
Rating: 7
GT
Coffee!!
Listened to some samples from earlier albums on the website and it sounded quite interesting...and with a review like this they might be worth spending a few bucks on...and yeah the cover is awesome
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
30.03.2007 - 15:27
Talvi

They really deserve my attention. Very good band
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
03.04.2007 - 15:21
Hyvaarin

Huge fan of what I've heard so far, definitely getting this .
----
"Summoned By Words Never Spoken Before..."
13.04.2007 - 14:31
Dirt pride
Account deleted
There amazing live, and there previous album is great so this one sounds good.
16.04.2007 - 15:18
Rating: 7
GT
Coffee!!
Just recieved the album today...it's really good, but different from what I normally listen to
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
17.04.2007 - 00:40
fwhite
Account deleted
In my trek to minnesota this January (heathen crusade 2) I had the honor of seeing this band live. They were, without a doubt, one of the tbest bands I've ever heard ... I mean, I didn't even know of them before that and found myself rushing into pit to show my gratitude. Their presence and music are epic and brutal.

Godless Commune of Sodom is my favorite song from this album.

I also recommend their first album, cluain tarbh, which is more of that gritty bloody irish history in majestic song.
07.07.2008 - 22:12
Rating: 8
Sleep In Sorrow
Ghost Of The Sun
This is quite possibly my favorite (non-sludgey) doom album from 2007. I have to disagree with Jeff, though, when he says this isn't catchy. For me, it sounds very fresh and full of energy and great melodies, and I'd say it is catchy for doom standards. One can't help but raise his fist and sing along the chorus of Godless Commune of Sodom. But I agree it's far from "commercial" doom.
----
"It's not funny, my ass is on fire..."
02.12.2018 - 00:03
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good reviev, i think clean sing makes music better, its unique and as I said once , celtic theme , gods, history is underated topic even in Ireland and Scotland. How many still can old Gaelic language?
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 5460 | This month: 10