04. B-17 Phantom
05. Non Serviam
06. Les Oubliés
07. L'Irlandaise
08. L'Énigme Sacrée
09. Cosaques
10. La Furie
11. Theâtre De Sang

For a band in its fourth decade of existence, ADX sounds surprisingly spry and spirited. No, scratch that - for any band, ADX has a lot of heart, a lot of charisma, and a clear, powerful sound that seems to be quite rare in today's speed and thrash circles.

Though ADX sounds more comfortable and creative with the broader, smoother melodies commonly associated with speed metal, the thrashiest segments of the album indicate a solid understanding of how to descend to heavier depths. Even in the stiff, staccato confines of thrash, the guitars and bass find moments to break loose, and the tight, crisp drumming provides a surprisingly engaging counterpart to pick up the slack. "L'irlandaise" showcases many of the album's strongest elements; despite its moderate tempo, the song owes much more to thrash than to speed or power, but the triple-lead riffing of two guitars and bass has a triumphant Iron Maiden-y feel. The solo might be the least flashy part of the song, but it is one of the most powerful and commanding solos I have heard in a long time, steadily compounding as the song fades out - it's the capstone of some all-around excellent solo work.

I don't listen to too many bands that sing in (intelligible) French, and I like hearing the interesting flavor of Phil Grelaud's vocals; the French language lends a certain je ne sais quoi, especially to the dramatic chorus of "Non Serviam," definitely a track that stands out amongst the most recent bevy of albums that I have reviewed. The sprightly production shields no instrument from the limelight, allowing the sound of the full band to kick through vigorously (even the bass, which is great, because Julien Rousseau has a few tricks to show off). Even if I've heard a few of these riffs before, the songs feel fresh and new thanks to the glossy sheen of professional production and rousing performances.

I found Non Serviam fairly enjoyable. While the overall sound may be nothing new and the quality of songwriting varies, certain small elements - the French lyrics, the slight throatiness of the vocals, the subtle shifts from speed to thrash and back - score extra points. On top of the two stellar standouts, "Non Serviam" and "L'irlandaise," this album's greatest strength is that it makes me curious as to what else ADX has to offer. Though I may only rate the album so highly, Non Serviam sticks in my mind, and I'll be catching up with ADX when I get the chance.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 5
Production: 9

Written on 15.07.2016 by I'm the reviewer, and that means my opinion is correct.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 92 users
15.07.2016 - 23:10
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Somehow I cant imagine such style metal in French, I have listen a lot in espanyol, but French just anti social , HM,. speed, metal and such genres must be in englais not francasis , englaise only, doom, bm, can be in native language
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
16.07.2016 - 01:18
Darkside Momo
Retired
Written by Bad English on 15.07.2016 at 23:10

Somehow I cant imagine such style metal in French, I have listen a lot in espanyol, but French just anti social , HM,. speed, metal and such genres must be in englais not francasis , englaise only, doom, bm, can be in native language

well ADX always did it in French (except one album), and much better than most at that.

Anyway, nice review. Haven't checked Non Serviam yet, but I'm certainly planning to!
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
16.07.2016 - 13:28
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Bad English saddens me... I'm french and I find disappointing that metal music never had some kind of hype here. In the 80s metal bands would never find a producer, and would collapse in a matter of months. And it is particullary disppointing because of the quality of these bands. ADX yes, but there were also Sortilège, Blaphème, H-Bomb, Trust, Vodoo Child, Vulcain, High Power, Satan Jokers, Warning, and they all did great job, especially the first two I quoted. Try to listen to them, it's danty heavy metal.
----
16.07.2016 - 16:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ansercanagicus on 16.07.2016 at 13:28

Bad English saddens me... I'm french and I find disappointing that metal music never had some kind of hype here. In the 80s metal bands would never find a producer, and would collapse in a matter of months. And it is particullary disppointing because of the quality of these bands. ADX yes, but there were also Sortilège, Blaphème, H-Bomb, Trust, Vodoo Child, Vulcain, High Power, Satan Jokers, Warning, and they all did great job, especially the first two I quoted. Try to listen to them, it's danty heavy metal.

musically no, but I am getting older, I want understand a lyrics, its only thing
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.07.2016 - 04:16
Rating: 8
bddidier

Written by Bad English on 16.07.2016 at 16:36

musically no, but I am getting older, I want understand a lyrics, its only thing

Well, learn French then
17.07.2016 - 18:58
Ansercanagicus
endangered bird
Written by bddidier on 17.07.2016 at 04:16

Written by Bad English on 16.07.2016 at 16:36

Well, learn French then

Actually, most of the singers in these bands are unintelligible without the lyrics before your eyes, because they are stressing the lines and intonation in an unusual way to suit the music better.
----

Hits total: 3895 | This month: 9