Metal Storm logo
Opeth - Share New Album Cover, Tracklist And More

Opeth have recently revealed the first details of their new album and today fans can discover the cover art, tracklist and much more about Sorceress. This is their first release via the band's imprint label Moderbolaget Records/Nuclear Blast and drops this September 30th. The band will return to Europe this November for a headline tour. The intriguing front cover artwork was once again designed by Travis Smith. Feast your eyes on it below and share your expectations.

Tracklist:
01. Persephone
02. Sorceress
03. The Wilde Flowers
04. Will O The Wisp
05. Chrysalis
06. Sorceress 2
07. The Seventh Sojourn
08. Strange Brew
09. A Fleeting Glance
10. Era
11. Persephone (Slight Return)

"The new album Sorceress is our 12th studio album since our beginnings in 1990," says Åkerfeldt. "I find it difficult to understand that we've been going on for 26 years, let alone that we've made 12 records now, all of which I am very proud of. Sorceress is no exception. I love this album, as does the whole band. I wrote the music during 5-6 months and we spent only 12 days recording it at Rockfield studios in Wales. I find that once again we've taken a step forward. Or sideways, Or backwards. Somewhere!? It's different! It's extremely diverse. And if I may say so myself, extremely good. I feel the right to say that since I like to think I know this band better than anyone on the planet. Also, I always manage to detach myself from the record and listen as a fan. It's a fine little record. My favorite in our discography right now. Of course. That's how it should be, right? It's both fresh and old, both progressive and rehashed. Heavy and calm. Just the way we like it. Hopefully there'll be others around the globe sharing this opinion. It was a joy to make it. A fucking joy to record it, and a sheer joy listening to it. So there you have it!"

For this record, Opeth returned to Rockfield Studios in Wales, also home to pivotal releases from Queen, Rush and Judas Priest, where the Swedes had tracked Pale Communion in 2014 with Tom Dalgety. The band spent 12 days recording at the countryside venue among its serene and inspiring surroundings.

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth
Posted: 18.07.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 28   [ 2 ignored ]   Visited by: 421 users
18.07.2016 - 19:02
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Ranks among the best Opeth artworks for sure. I expect the content to be mediocre but well, there's always some hope.
18.07.2016 - 19:04
robpal
Proglord
Hoping for some growls, I miss them.
18.07.2016 - 19:12
Korah
Bad covers art does not exist with Opeth
----
Don't cry for my English
18.07.2016 - 19:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Kinda gory for Opeth. Could mean an interesting musical direction change. Probably not though.
18.07.2016 - 19:53
FYA
Destroyer
That solo on moog from studio isn't a sign of "more heavy" style for me. I think that there will be no growls there, nor metal.
18.07.2016 - 20:01
The last 2 have been pretty boring but here's hoping this one is enjoyable.
18.07.2016 - 20:56
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I can't tell if this art is really good or kinda terrible... but I'm pretty sure it's much better than the artwork for the last two albums.
----
18.07.2016 - 21:26
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Seems pretty symbolic. Could it mean that they are looking for a new kind of brutality and heaviness instead of their usual death metal infused melodic style. Anyway there are too many songs and I doubt I will get a kind of opeth album I want. I will rather stick to Watershed if I feel like listening to Opeth.
18.07.2016 - 22:06
atrox
Getting less and less excited with new Opeth releases...
18.07.2016 - 22:38
Not excited , expecting another souless, boring imitation of old prog rock .
18.07.2016 - 23:30
a MasT
Yay!
19.07.2016 - 00:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 18.07.2016 at 22:38

Pretty much, yeah.
19.07.2016 - 01:11
RockSplendid
Greaaaaaaaaat cover, as always!

So routine and repetitive stupid criticism about not having growl! You damn growl lovers! Not a fan definitely.
19.07.2016 - 01:58
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Love the album cover and the song titles. Really looking forward to this album. I thought Pale Communion was fantastic and hopefully more of the same, with some slight twists and turns.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
19.07.2016 - 02:31
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Pale Communion was the first Opeth album I liked in a loooong time. Hope this one continues the trend!
19.07.2016 - 02:34
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Anyone know whether the song "Strange Brew" is an original or a cover of the Cream song?
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
19.07.2016 - 06:54
theembryo
Not having any listing for pre-order yet on NuclearBlast. I am looking forward to the tour, fist time in a long time they are scheduled to come my way.
19.07.2016 - 11:56
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 18.07.2016 at 22:38

Gosh, what imitation?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
19.07.2016 - 17:01
Enteroctopus
"And if I may say so myself, extremely good. I feel the right to say that since I like to think I know this band better than anyone on the planet." - Mikael

What a pompous ass, frankly. He sounds like he is going the way of Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine, self-impressed washed up old metal musician sucking his own dick.

Might listen to this on Spotify or YouTube. Not spending any money on it unless I like what I hear. Doubtful.
20.07.2016 - 05:54
Opethian
Take me back to the old days, Opeth! High hopes!!
22.07.2016 - 00:04
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
I don't need them to bring the growls back, I just wish they'd make the music heavier so they'd get back to when they could expertly balance heaviness/softness together in one song. Doesn't have to be a repeat of anything they've done before to accomplish that, either, since there's a wide variety of sounds to be used that can accomplish such a thing.

...Buuuut this'll probably just be another decent 70's rock revival album that, while fun to listen to, makes me wish for the days when Opeth sounded more unique. Too bad.
----
22.07.2016 - 00:13
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Enteroctopus on 19.07.2016 at 17:01

"And if I may say so myself, extremely good. I feel the right to say that since I like to think I know this band better than anyone on the planet." - Mikael

What a pompous ass, frankly. He sounds like he is going the way of Lars Ulrich and Dave Mustaine, self-impressed washed up old metal musician sucking his own dick.

Actually that's his humour dead on. Spend any time at an Opeth show and it would probably be fairly obvious. Nice reaction there, though. I hear hernia treatment is quite pricey in the US.
22.07.2016 - 07:09
Mattybu
Written by Guest on 22.07.2016 at 00:13

Written by Enteroctopus on 19.07.2016 at 17:01

Actually that's his humour dead on. Spend any time at an Opeth show and it would probably be fairly obvious.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the M-dog worded it in that particular way just to cause a little sizzle. He is a clever/funny guy though. One of the few that during a show I'm 100% fine with listening to any amount of blabber he wants to say between songs.
22.07.2016 - 18:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Mattybu on 22.07.2016 at 07:09

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the M-dog worded it in that particular way just to cause a little sizzle. He is a clever/funny guy though. One of the few that during a show I'm 100% fine with listening to any amount of blabber he wants to say between songs.

Yeah, he's very self aware. He knows that people don't like a lot of his work but clearly doesn't care (why should he). He even made a quip before playing a song off Watershed once, saying that not many people liked it but that he did. In good humour.
25.07.2016 - 17:51
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 22.07.2016 at 18:16

Written by Mattybu on 22.07.2016 at 07:09

Yeah, he's very self aware. He knows that people don't like a lot of his work but clearly doesn't care (why should he). He even made a quip before playing a song off Watershed once, saying that not many people liked it but that he did. In good humour.

It was before playing Hex Omega, which is a great closing track. I don't understand people not liking it.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
25.07.2016 - 18:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 25.07.2016 at 17:51

It was before playing Hex Omega, which is a great closing track. I don't understand people not liking it.

Yeah I've never quite understood why as many people don't like that whole album. Then again I recall not liking it all that much when I first heard it. A 10 / 10 album now though.
26.07.2016 - 10:37
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 25.07.2016 at 18:40

Probably the only time he's swallowed his pride and catered to the fans was when he admitted playing only Heritage songs on the Heritage tour was a bad idea. Would explain why every gig since then has included old metal songs. Wise move I'd say. Apart from that he hasn't been guided by his fans. Assuming he's genuine in his interviews, he's confident in his abilities and doesn't shy away from selling his talent but he's aware that he ain't some omniscient deity . So to me he's the kind of guy that sucks at first impressions and would take some time warming up to. He's funny as most have said. At a Sydney gig some fan made a peacock sound and he quickly replied with 'Who let a peacock in?'. Got a laugh outta most of us

Yeah I think giving up metal songs at gigs would be a risky move; not sure even his wit could cover for that. Wouldn't be surprised if Opeth eventually whittle them down until they're gone completely though.
29.07.2016 - 17:42
BeneathTheMoon
Account deleted
I am confident that I am in the minority here but I actually think that Pale Communion is the band's best achievement to date. Opeth has always been a bit messy compositionally for my tastes but, on Pale Communion, the songwriting was so focused, varied and just plain awesome that I cannot wait to hear Sorceress.

Hits total: 4411 | This month: 5