Disc II [limited edition bonus disc]
01. The Ward
02. Spring MCMLXXIV
03. Cusp Of Eternity [live]
04. The Drapery Falls [live]
05. Voice Of Treason [live]

Featured in "Getting Into: Opeth"

Additional info
Recorded at Rockfield Studios, Monmouthshire, Wales.
Produced by Mikael Akerfeldt.
Co-production by Opeth and Tom Dalgety.
Mixed by Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt.
Mastered by Pascal Byrne.
Engineered by Tom Dalgety.

All Lyrics Written by Mikael Akerfeldt.

Artwork designed by Travis Smith.
Artwork concept by Mikael Åkerfeldt.

Staff review by
Daniell
Rating:
When a trailblazing monster of a cult act turns into a '70s prog tribute band, there's surely going to be some backlash. Opeth have been getting loads of backlash (deserved and not) since 2011's Heritage. I have no doubt that Sorceress will be met by many with at least the same amount of hostility. Whether or not it's justified is a different story; let's see how different they are.

Read more ››
published 03.10.2016 | Comments (39)

Found in 38 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 166   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1529 users
02.10.2016 - 09:05
Rating: 8
Desert Father

I miss Steven Wilson's production so much. This album is mixed just like any other Nuclear Blast record: bass-heavy, loud as hell, full of clipping and zero dynamic range.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
for them." - Abba Dioscorus
02.10.2016 - 10:37
Rating: 10
daemonic7

Written by Nihil Aeternum on 30.09.2016 at 20:13

Similar Bands: Blackmore's Night

- - -
One day later: Actually, the more I listen to it, the more I find it quite enjoyable.

Exactly, this is how new Opeth works... (usually all top progressive bands)
And each time you listen you discover something new to like!

Taken into consideration Opeth new staff (only), Sorceress is the best album, solid structure and very good songs.
02.10.2016 - 17:47
Joe Zombie

Boring. The only thing worth a piss about this band anymore is Axenrot.
02.10.2016 - 18:24
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Desert Father on 02.10.2016 at 09:05

I miss Steven Wilson's production so much. This album is mixed just like any other Nuclear Blast record: bass-heavy, loud as hell, full of clipping and zero dynamic range.

Steven Wilson mixed this album, as he did with the previous two. He is involved in the shitty mixing Opeth albums are getting lately.

Written by Joe Zombie on 02.10.2016 at 17:47

Boring. The only thing worth a piss about this band anymore is Axenrot.

So true, a way one can manage to go through this whole thing is by paying attention to Axe only, his performance is always stellar.
03.10.2016 - 02:56
Desert Father

I didn't know SW mixed this? Should have done some research. Personally I love the mixes he's done so far for Opeth as they fit the prog sound the band is going for. The clipping and lack of dynamic range is due to the mastering alone and I would find it hard to believe that Steven did that himself as all other mixes he's done since about 2013 have zero mastering on them at all.
----
"Truly, my child, if I were allowed to see my sins, three or four men would not be enough to weep
03.10.2016 - 03:17
Nicko's Nose

How are the 2 bonus tracks?
03.10.2016 - 04:42
Tuonelan

No SW credit for engineering or mixing on the liner notes. "Engineered and Mixed by Tom Dalgerty" SW and Band does get a thanks in the second section of the acknowledgements with touring partners and friends, but not in the first section where they thank people who helped out during the recording.

Bonus tracks are good, but are very much not metal. Remind me of the bonus tracks on Heritage, especially "Pyre".
----
Hopepunk living on a grimdark timeline
03.10.2016 - 05:32
Rating: 4
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Really? I remember I looked up if SW was involved this time around before the release of the record and I read that he was handling the mixing. Looking it up now I only see news on Loudwire stating that, but it must be it is an incorrect source, if the record liner notes say SW is not involved.
03.10.2016 - 10:10
Desert Father

I was sure it was Tom Dalgerty as well. The album is mixed in the exact opposite way that SW would mix it.
----
03.10.2016 - 11:55
Desert Father

Written by Nicko's Nose on 03.10.2016 at 03:17

How are the 2 bonus tracks?

Loving them, especially Spring 1974. They should have replaced Chrysalis and Seventh Sojourn in my opinion.
----
03.10.2016 - 20:15
angel_heart

Written by Opethian on 22.07.2016 at 17:44

Just take a look at all of these 'new fans' coming out of the wood work and praising 'Heritage & PC'. It's a joke dude and it clearly has an appeal with mainstream fans who would never go back and listen to their earlier offerings do to the fact that it has 'Harsh vocals'. Doesn't that sound like someone who would lean more towards mainstream music? Isn't that a respond you would get from someone who listen to mainstream music? A good chunk of the time i'm on their FB page and that is all you will see. Just fanboys defending them blindly and willfully ignorant. Ask them if they have ever listened to Still Life or BWP and they will give you that same answer, "I dont like death metal vocals' .... What a laugh

I like grunts just fine and I still enjoyed the last two albums just as much as the previous ones, it's got nothing to do with it. Or maybe I'm just a huge fangirl...

Written by Opethian on 24.07.2016 at 19:03

Perhaps you're right. It may not be mainstream but take a look at the ones that are praising Heritage & PC. Its A) People who have never even heard of Opeth and B) People who enjoy their retro prog sound that Opeth claims to be is 'Unique' according to Mikeal

It does sound unique in a way. It's not revolutionary or completely out of the box if that's what you mean, but it's very very individualised, it has those Opeth trademarks I would recognise anywhere.

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.09.2016 at 11:13

If they can't write a music what fans want, they better should quit.

How is that not textbook selling out?

i'll refrain from making any comments about the new album, yet. I could never properly enjoy Opeth without being "in the mood" and without listening to it multiple times before catching the charm.
03.10.2016 - 22:20
Rating: 9
onedh

In my opinion Sorceress is a 9.5/10 album. I really like it. You know... It´s only music!
03.10.2016 - 22:24
Rating: 6
Xyanade

It's not a bad rock album, just happened to be in the wrong site
04.10.2016 - 15:22
ozeebee

What a boring album !
07.10.2016 - 00:35
Archie 666

Written by Guest on 30.09.2016 at 14:25

Bland

I agree. It's not bad but it's not good either. It's just bland.
07.10.2016 - 05:16
Nicko's Nose

Very good album. I have to say I don't get the love for Era though. I like it, but it's pretty much the simplest most generic song on the album.
07.10.2016 - 09:46
Rating: 7
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Nicko's Nose on 07.10.2016 at 05:16

Very good album. I have to say I don't get the love for Era though. I like it, but it's pretty much the simplest most generic song on the album.

So you dislike it because it's simple? It's a good song, complexity has nothing to do with quality.
07.10.2016 - 10:01
Mik
Account deleted
Written by Daniell on 07.10.2016 at 09:46

Written by Nicko's Nose on 07.10.2016 at 05:16

So you dislike it because it's simple? It's a good song, complexity has nothing to do with quality.

He said that he likes it, whats your point?
07.10.2016 - 10:07
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Bad English on 29.09.2016 at 21:30

This band should change style its not metal, but this album is better as latest 2 IMO anyway , I wont even download this, good they share it free. I AM NOT A FAN BOY

Oh my god, you won't download this... What a punishment for the band!
07.10.2016 - 10:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 07.10.2016 at 10:01

He said that he likes it, whats your point?

The guy also clarified that the song he was talking about is generic. Daniell is MS's premier Opeth white knight.
07.10.2016 - 21:14
VAIKKAA

Disappointed!!:gunner:
12.10.2016 - 05:22
Mr_Vinyl

This has to be my album of the year, so far. Besides the boomy bass and the compression to the louder tracks, this is one incredible piece of work.:dcool:
16.10.2016 - 02:48
Opethian

This one is growing on me. The musicianship is there as always and Mikes vocals are just piercing. Great job boys!
17.10.2016 - 11:56
Aries Rising

The best out of their wannabe 70s prog rock wank material. They needs to bring back some of what made their older material great.
20.10.2016 - 17:11
Sword_Chant

I can't help but feel like Opeth are capable of so much more than this.
20.10.2016 - 21:08
raveneffect

This album could've been so much more. It's still a tribute to Classic Prog but with a more modern approach (unlike Pale Communion) and I really like some new elements they tried to incorporate, you can hear a more Baroness-que type of sound in songs like Sorceress but enough not too lose the trademark Opeth feel.

BIG problem of the album is the track listing. It's a mess, keeps breaking the mood over and over again. Sorceress 2, The Seventh Sojourn and almost the whole Strange Brew song, which are the middle of the album, are calm songs. They arent bad, specially Seventh Sojourn takes me back to the Damnation arabian riffs, but they just seem to break the mood a lot.

I feel this is the weakest of the Prog Rock side of Opeth but its still a fine one.
30.10.2016 - 09:53
Flyingbroom

With this album Opeth started a new genre of metal. It's called "sleep metal", because it makes you sleepy.
30.10.2016 - 15:14
Rating: 5
SSM
Massacred
TBH, I don't care about vocals, they can be growls and insanely harsh or smooth and clean, or even be completely absent.
First you must have a good composition and/or melodies and/or themes to begin with, then some good vocals and other instruments can shine.
Heritage was almost a failure in this regard, Pale Communion was a lot better as others have mentioned, just listen to great arpeggios, chords, vocal melody and that great ghost notes on drums on "Eternal Rains Will Come" and that great vibe in guitar solo, the same can be said about "Cusp of Eternity"; it has a direction and purpose and it reaches that well and there are other great moments on that album like "River" middle section or "Faith In Others". Also I should mention the great production on "Pale Communion" which has a kinda old prog rock "real" sound and modern tight and neat sound all together.

But what do we have here on "Sorceress"?
First bad point: it has a super mediocre and generic intro, I'm sure if you search, you'll find some exact music like this, it's that unoriginal.
Second bad point: Not a really good mix, I love more low end in mix and more full rich sound, but this is not as balanced as it should be, really can't listen to this album on my reference monitors without dialing down bass and low end settings a lot, it sounds horrible on monitors and reference headphones. It sounds boomy and "too much bass" on Hi-Fi speakers too and have to lower the bass on them too to not drown in excessive, unnecessary bass.
Third bad point: Lack of direction or even innovation composition-wise, a lot of tracks have a generic theme and they don't progress to reach something, well, with the exception on "The Wilde Flowers" and "Chrysalis". "Sorceress 2" sounds interesting too, but it sounds like 1000 songs we've all heard before, but I guess that's OK compared to the rest of the album.

Overall, I can't say why Opeth did this, and TBH I don't care that much, my philosophy is "don't be a fan, be the audience and listen/watch/read for your own enjoyment and/or your own quest to understand and reach new steps in life and support the people who did something great IYO."
It seems like Opeth is on a way to more mediocre/mainstream stuff? So be it, who cares.
And about the music? Well, probably won't listen to this album because of production and overall sound anyway. Still, would listen to damnation and some older stuff and probably "Chrysalis" outro.
05.11.2016 - 10:41
angel_heart

At first I thought it's not as good as their previous albums, but it turns out I am incapable of disliking anything that comes from these guys. It's a bit cold and emotionless in certain places and a bit too loud for the sake of being loud in others (with no direction, as some of you mentioned) and the second half is weaker than the first, but overall it's still one damn good album.
21.11.2016 - 23:49
Andresopeth

Written by angel_heart on 05.11.2016 at 10:41

At first I thought it's not as good as their previous albums, but it turns out I am incapable of disliking anything that comes from these guys. It's a bit cold and emotionless in certain places and a bit too loud for the sake of being loud in others (with no direction, as some of you mentioned) and the second half is weaker than the first, but overall it's still one damn good album.

I think exactly the same, the album is good but lacks of direction. I guess there are at least three song that can be taken out (Will O The Wisp, Sorceress 2 and A Fleeting Glance) those songs do not have a big moment or any diferential signature Opeth's is used to.

My Favourites are The Wilde Flower, Chrysalis and Strange Brew, particulary think Chrysalis sounds like a song of Watershed, you can put it after The Lotus Eater and would fits perfectly.

Hits total: 28368 | This month: 46