Metal Storm logo
Sonata Arctica - Reveal New Album Title, Cover And More

Sonata Arctica have chosen today to reveal all about their new album. We already knew that they were working on it and The Ninth Hour, as the album will be titled, is dropping later this year. Only two years after the release of Pariah's Child, the Finnish melodic metal quintet will release The Ninth Hour on October 7th via Nuclear Blast Records. Check out the intriguing cover artwork here as an introduction to the album.

Once again, the album was produced by Sonata Arctica themselves and mixed by Pasi Kauppinen.

"The studio work for the new record started seriously in mid-April 2016 in several home studios around Finland," singer Tony Kakko explains. "But the main recording and mixing took place at the Studio57 in Alaveteli, Finland. It functions as a kind of centre point and all work finally ends up there. We aimed to create another melodic, beautiful, surprising Sonata Arctica album... Did it turn out that way? I surely think so. But maybe I should leave that for you to decide!"

About the cover: "The artwork of our ninth studio album The Ninth Hour depicts a future utopian landscape on the background. Nature and human technologies are in balance. In the middle we have an hour glass contraption with a knob for us to meddle with. The right-hand side cup represents the nature side with no humans left, on the left we have the human dystopia after we have destroyed Nature. The idea I had was, that turning the knob will tilt the hour glass in one direction or another, and the other cup will slowly empty and that future will be erased. Biblically we are expected to repent and sacrifice on The Ninth Hour... to dive right back to a more mundane reality, it's a fact that we are currently living in critical, historical times. Our decisions will define the future. Not only ours as a race, but the future of this entire planet. We need to make sacrifices and in many cases we will repent our already made choices."

After the summer festival season and the release of their anticipated record, the band will embark on a European tour together with their label mates Twilight Force followed by a North American tour to present the new songs to their fans.

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Sonata Arctica
Posted: 21.07.2016 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 21   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 217 users
21.07.2016 - 14:40
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ughhh another piece of shit incoming...
21.07.2016 - 17:11
gopherhawk2@gmail.co

----
Follow your heart, not trends.
21.07.2016 - 17:39
The Evergreen

Awwwwwwww yeaaaaaahhhh!
I really enjoyed Pariah's Child and am super excited for Ninth Hour!
21.07.2016 - 17:47
Kais

Not sure, but I get good vibes from this one.
Will wait to see.
21.07.2016 - 20:20
zikon

What a nice birthday present woo ! Really liked Pariah's Child so looking forward to this one.
----
"The poetry of the earth is never dead" John Keats
21.07.2016 - 21:15
SteTech

Written by Guest on 21.07.2016 at 14:40

Cool story, bro
21.07.2016 - 21:45
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Looking forward to it.

Meow
21.07.2016 - 21:59
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
More watered down stale symphonic metal... Tony Kakko sound so tired and so unmotivated ever since Unia it is actually painful to listen to him. Not that the music helps him though.
21.07.2016 - 22:20
Night Theater

I love the album work. I hope it's similar to Reckoning Night which was their best album. Just with added symphonics.
21.07.2016 - 23:08
Byners

Of course there is a wolf on the cover
----
"Seize the day or die regretting the time you lost..."
21.07.2016 - 23:37
Ruchesko

Written by Night Theater on 21.07.2016 at 22:20

I love the album work. I hope it's similar to Reckoning Night which was their best album. Just with added symphonics.

I'm also a big fan of Reckoning Night - its what got me hooked on power metal, but I'm kind of hoping Tony finally stops trying to recreate the Liimatainen-era magic without Jani.
21.07.2016 - 23:39
Ruchesko

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 21.07.2016 at 21:59

More watered down stale symphonic metal... Tony Kakko sound so tired and so unmotivated ever since Unia it is actually painful to listen to him. Not that the music helps him though.

How much longer dya think before he lets Viljanen in on songwriting?
22.07.2016 - 07:35
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

Speak for yourself, I loved Pariah's Child.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
22.07.2016 - 10:11
DragonSavior X10

Cautiously optimistic. Pariah's Child was a step in the right direction.
22.07.2016 - 10:58
Andreas

Written by SteTech on 21.07.2016 at 21:15

Cool story, bro

Yeah, how dare he not expect something great from the band that released Stones Grow Her Name
22.07.2016 - 11:20
ManiacBlasphemer
Black Knight
Written by Ruchesko on 21.07.2016 at 23:39

No idea, but I doubt it will make a difference. More than 10 years have passed since their last good album. How many bands recover with a great album after so much time? You can count them on your fingers. Sonata Arctica is now contempt with releasing a album now and then, where the guitar is barely noticeable and is as commercial as fuck. I hated the last album too. Way too sloppy and cheesy in a negative way. And I just cannot stand Kakko's voice anymore. He was good on the first 4 albums, but ever since Unia he sounds awful, as if he got 30 years older in only 10 years. LOL
22.07.2016 - 17:12
Ruchesko

Written by ManiacBlasphemer on 22.07.2016 at 11:20

Written by Ruchesko on 21.07.2016 at 23:39

No idea, but I doubt it will make a difference. More than 10 years have passed since their last good album. How many bands recover with a great album after so much time? You can count them on your fingers. Sonata Arctica is now contempt with releasing a album now and then, where the guitar is barely noticeable and is as commercial as fuck. I hated the last album too. Way too sloppy and cheesy in a negative way. And I just cannot stand Kakko's voice anymore. He was good on the first 4 albums, but ever since Unia he sounds awful, as if he got 30 years older in only 10 years. LOL

I still consider myself one of the Kakko faithful, though more out of loyalty for past deeds (Sonata basically got me into metal). I still enjoy his voice in more recent work, just not on songs he's written himself. A perfect example is Eli's solo number "Kiss of Rain" - yes, its cheesy AOR, but its vintage Kakko.

22.07.2016 - 17:51
N0RBERT

Back to the roots,please! All the albums from Unia are horrible.
23.07.2016 - 20:51
mikeprado30

I won't understand the hatred towards Unia and The Days of Grays. IMHO were nice albums, but whatever, it's a matter of tastes.

I just hope this new one will be as nice as it was for myself Pariah's Child.
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
28.07.2016 - 08:21
Stunning Cactus

Anyone who took the time to listen to their latest releases without expecting Ecliptica and Silence found music to appreciate. Part-time listeners need not apply - see yourselves out.

Bring on the album.
29.07.2016 - 06:39
Lord_Regnier

Yeah, more pop junk targeted at teenage girls.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"

Hits total: 3425 | This month: 5