09. Shifts
10. The Night Subscriber
11. Pale Flag
12. Passer
13. Vakaren [CD/DVD and deluxe edition bonus]
14. Sistere [LP and deluxe edition bonus]
15. Wide Awake In Quietus [digital and deluxe edition bonus]
16. Night Comes Down [Judas Priest cover] [Japanese edition bonus]

Another amazing, depressive, Swedish band returns after four years with a new album entitled The Fall Of Hearts, a name which automatically guides the mind to a repeat of the last album, Dead End Kings, and a continuation of Katatonia's way after Brave Murder Day. Brave Murder Day is one of the best classic doom/death metal albums of all time, and I believe the band was playing every song under The Rain Without End! But after this album, Katatonia's style changed little by little, and that harsh vocal sound, furious like a demon's frustration, has now changed to a beautiful, yet doleful butterfly; it seems like that was the final goal from the beginning. Undoubtedly, four years was enough time for the band to release a new challenge for their fans' ears.

The Fall Of Hearts is unlike Dead End Kings in every way, a fact shown to us upon confronting the different layers of sound and many innovations. At the beginning of the previous album, we heard violins, cellos, and an introduction like a dusty breeze, but in this album, there is no beginning! It's more of a continuation. "Takeover" surprised and worried me - surprised because of the innovation, and worried because of the chances of this process actually continuing through the album. But Katatonia's tenth album was to continue this process after all, and track by track, it got better. Each song is approached like a beautiful butterfly, one-by-one in surreal space, and often imparts a morphine-like relaxation. Katatonia's new album has manifested as a new birth certificate for the band; it's powerful progressive rock with depressive elements, all in support of the nine previous Katatonia albums.

Regarding the type of lyrics, I'd say it's depressive, grey, and emotional, and I refer you to part of the lyrics to "Residual," which I very much like:

"And I'm ready to go
If you're already there
Saw your trail in the snow
Did you find the way to freedom?
It's the last day I'm here
Can you hear the sky fall down,
Collapsing over ravaged ground?"

In paying close attention to these tracks, we hear many death metal riffs that Nyström brought from Bloodbath, and the best bass solo of the always-wonderful Sandin. All of these sounds, given substance by the best melodies and kept in-time by drums matching the unique vocals of Jonas Renkse, just like 20 years ago, made a praiseworthy album for us - meeting yet another challenge for the future of the band.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 8
Production: 8

Written by | 25.07.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
If you love Jonas Renske's voice and the softer Katatonia material that never seems to make it on an official LP ("Unfurl", "Sold Heart", "Second", etc...) then this may be your favorite Katatonia album ever. The Fall Of Hearts unfolds like a fairy tale, slowly and carefully, with many unexpected twists to surprise those who hang in there for the entire journey. In an era of instant gratification The Fall Of Hearts is an enigma; it demands a lot of time for small rewards and whether those rewards are worth it will be entirely determined by the person listening.

Read more ››
published 18.08.2016 | Comments (2)

Comments

Comments: 1   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 85 users
26.07.2016 - 12:26
Mold of Tree
Account deleted
Ah! Yes! I do adore this album! So dark and magical...majestical! Masterpiece!

Hits total: 2652 | This month: 10