Metal Storm logo
Old School Metalcore Is Better than What You're Listening To

14.08.2016 - 21:44
The Batlord
I saw a couple metalcore threads in a search, but they were either not relevant or thirty-years-old and lame. So whatevs...

Obviously metalcore gets a bad rep for all the post-Killswitch bands, but back in the day it was one of the best metal/hardcore genres of the 90s. Like, I'd totally listen to old metalcore over the majority of 90s death metal or Norwegian black metal. Even the stuff that was generic was still just as good as the generic stuff in any other genre. Basically, metalcore rules and if you don't agree then you're either a bitch or you don't know what real metalcore is. And you're a bitch. Anyone responding to this thread to say that Bullet for My Valentine et. al suck will be assumed to be a lameass poseur.

Metalcore to knock your socks off...

Converge - Concubine

Like you haven't heard Converge. But if you're that lame then they're the epitome of math/metalcore and pretty much the poster boys for metalcore that doesn't suck. And they don't.

Arkangel - From Heaven We Fall

Not many people know about Arkangel since they're from Belgium, but the H8000 metalcore scene was scuzzy and mean as shit. This is one of the most violent albums I've ever heard, regardless of its lack of blast beats or whatever. It's like Slayer decided to record a 90s hardcore record.

Merauder - Master Killer

Meathead 90s NYHC, but with enough metal riffs to qualify them as... proto-metalcore? Or just metalcore? Fuck it, this shit rules.

Deadguy - Doom Patrol

Not sure if these guys are the stepping off point for mathcore, but they're not as obtuse as Botch while still being angular and bad-fucking-ass.

Ringworm - Numb/Blind to Faith

Okay, so these dudes are definitely proto-metalcore. Which I guess is what crossover thrash would be if it never actually wanted to be thrash. Essential listening.

Snapcase - Caboose

As much post-hardcore (the 90s kind) as metalcore (the 90s kind). This shit is just fucking intense and makes whatever you're listening to sound like bitch shit.

Poison the Well - 12/23/93

Proof that you can start a song with a breakdown and still be 10x the band that Suicide Silence is.

Zao - Ravage Ritual

Proof that Christians can make awesome metal. The first two thirds of this song is the greatest buildup to a massive breakdown that ever was.[b][/b]
----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
27.08.2016 - 21:56
The Batlord
Getting drunk again so it's time to go on about how awesome non-shitty metalcore is for the indifferent enthusiasm of elitists who still think brutal death metal is a viable genre (joking not joking).

Integrity

More proto-metalcore. Not the biggest fan but when they hit they hit hard. To Die For is probably their most accessible release, but don't let that fool you into thinking it isn't heavy and badass as shit.

Catharsis

Here we go. Some straight up 90s metalcore that's brutal and awesome and raw and kickass and will beat you into the cement. They're as much crust punk as they are metalcore, so yeah, they're abrasive and intense and heavy as fucknuts.

Bloodlet

Crushing metalcore with some possibly dodgy vocals (as in the singer has a voice that takes getting used to rather than sounding like the guy from Killswitch Engage). They have a heavy sludge influence but also some weird experimentalism that makes them more than just dirty riffs and breakdowns.

Stampin' Ground

These dudes are basically NYHC with Slayer riffs, which is a big thing for me. Not for those who demand technical excellence or unique creativity or intelligence, but if you just want some heavy shit to thrash out and punch your parents to then this is top shelf.

Underoath

Yeah that's right, motherfucking Underoath. Didn't expect it? Think less of me for posting them? Well fuck you and fuck your children, cause their early shit is almost like a post-hardcore version of Emperor. It's got that obtuse post-hardcore thing, that heavy metalcore thing, and that atmospheric Emperor thing (with vocals to match). Ignore every album after their sophomore release and you'll be calling this band your new fav thing ever.

----
Bands that suck: Dream Theater, Dragonforce, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam, the folk rock half of Led Zeppelin, 99% of thrash metal bands from the turn of the century, Mumford & Sons, any death metal band influenced by Necrophagist.

That is all for now.
28.08.2016 - 08:02
DualHelix
Written by The Batlord on 14.08.2016 at 21:44

I saw a couple metalcore threads in a search, but they were either not relevant or thirty-years-old and lame. So whatevs...

Obviously metalcore gets a bad rep for all the post-Killswitch bands, but back in the day it was one of the best metal/hardcore genres of the 90s. Like, I'd totally listen to old metalcore over the majority of 90s death metal or Norwegian black metal. Even the stuff that was generic was still just as good as the generic stuff in any other genre. Basically, metalcore rules and if you don't agree then you're either a bitch or you don't know what real metalcore is. And you're a bitch. Anyone responding to this thread to say that Bullet for My Valentine et. al suck will be assumed to be a lameass poseur.

Metalcore to knock your socks off...

Converge - Concubine
gIB9Cai5kZ4

Like you haven't heard Converge. But if you're that lame then they're the epitome of math/metalcore and pretty much the poster boys for metalcore that doesn't suck. And they don't.

Arkangel - From Heaven We Fall

Not many people know about Arkangel since they're from Belgium, but the H8000 metalcore scene was scuzzy and mean as shit. This is one of the most violent albums I've ever heard, regardless of its lack of blast beats or whatever. It's like Slayer decided to record a 90s hardcore record.

Merauder - Master Killer

Meathead 90s NYHC, but with enough metal riffs to qualify them as... proto-metalcore? Or just metalcore? Fuck it, this shit rules.

Deadguy - Doom Patrol

Not sure if these guys are the stepping off point for mathcore, but they're not as obtuse as Botch while still being angular and bad-fucking-ass.

Ringworm - Numb/Blind to Faith

Okay, so these dudes are definitely proto-metalcore. Which I guess is what crossover thrash would be if it never actually wanted to be thrash. Essential listening.

Snapcase - Caboose

As much post-hardcore (the 90s kind) as metalcore (the 90s kind). This shit is just fucking intense and makes whatever you're listening to sound like bitch shit.

Poison the Well - 12/23/93

Proof that you can start a song with a breakdown and still be 10x the band that Suicide Silence is.

Zao - Ravage Ritual

Proof that Christians can make awesome metal. The first two thirds of this song is the greatest buildup to a massive breakdown that ever was.[b][/b]

Woah man, that Zao kicks some serious ass. I feel like I've heard them before, but I don't really remember. I didn't know they were christian either. Extol is another badass metalcore-ish band that's christian. I'm not religious, but I do find it awesome when Christian bands find their way out into the open and actually make a name for themselves.

As far as metalcore goes, one of the first bands like that I really got into was Parkway Drive, they don't take themselves too seriously and they like to just have a good time, but holy shit the last album that came out kinda killed it for me. I'm more of a Death Metal style fan now, but I still go back and listen to some of the older Metalcore stuff. It got kinda hard to find good bands like that because at one point that shit hit huge and there were like 23749872984738274 generic metalcore bands that popped up at the same time.

So it ended up being like looking for a diamond in a sewer. But I tend to gravitate to more death metal style things.

Thanks for bringing Zao back up though, I forgot how awesome they were.
28.08.2016 - 12:46
Vombatus
Potorro
Old metalcore has some great stuff, but I don't associate it with what most people understand as "metalcore" nowadays (Killswitch crap and all that, including deathcore and blablabla...). The hardcore influence was really relevant, which is totally nonexistent in the modern form.
28.08.2016 - 14:20
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Vombatus on 28.08.2016 at 12:46

Old metalcore has some great stuff, but I don't associate it with what most people understand as "metalcore" nowadays (Killswitch crap and all that)

Pretty much you have pulled your panties off among the respected group of people.

KsE is playing metalcore since 1999 and it is one of the first band who's "The End of Heartache" got the commercial success and influenced to bands like Shadows Fall and Atreyu. You saying younger people doesn't understand metalcore and called first commercial successful artist as "crap". I think it's YOU who have not come to the terms with metalcore.

Even from the standard of KsE delivering records nowadays, it's not bad either. They're still one of those bands who keeping metalcore scene alive.

Yes, "Incarnate" failed to create a spark among fans of KsE or metalcore scene but it still superior to 90% of records been thrown out of young pussies trying to rule the scene.
28.08.2016 - 15:48
Vombatus
Potorro
^I didn't write "young people don't understand metalcore" but whatever. It's quite obvious that when you mention metalcore nowadays, it gets associated with bands such as Parkway Drive or Avenged Sevenfold since they are popular. My point being that metalcore such as Converge or Ringworm is good and that the modern commercially successful stuff such as Killswitch Engage is garbage.
30.08.2016 - 20:08
The Batlord
Written by Vombatus on 28.08.2016 at 12:46

Old metalcore has some great stuff, but I don't associate it with what most people understand as "metalcore" nowadays (Killswitch crap and all that, including deathcore and blablabla...). The hardcore influence was really relevant, which is totally nonexistent in the modern form.

Still some good melodic metalcore from the early 00s. Not that I don't like me some cheesy scene music like Killswitch or Trivium, but I don't feel the need to add an asterisk when saying I like these bands...

I guess Unearth didn't go far enough in the scene band direction to get the kind of success that KSE or As I Lay Dying did, but they totally deserve a piece of that pie they helped bake.

Undying are pretty unknown, probably because they never went much further than incorporating Gothenburg riffs into actual metalcore, but it's certainly possible they were an influence on later bands. Either way they're the closest I've heard to a true metalcore-meets-At-the-Gates band. Some fucking wicked breakdowns too.

----

That is all for now.
19.11.2016 - 13:41
Iololike
I agree with you
26.11.2016 - 05:35
ZÖN
I know a guy on another forum that's all about it too
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
17.01.2019 - 19:53
Quatropus
The positive is that it's a thread representing Metalcore. The negative is the title. Could you have not come up with something else other than "This stuff is better than your terrible music taste"?

Update: read your first post, you seem to be a killer at parties. Your attitude is that type of attitude I would love to see gone from the Metal community.
17.01.2019 - 23:09
Maco
Pvt Funderground
There's Burst... there's also this great band from Sweden also called Burst.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.