05. Lost In Machine
06. Largo
07. No Rest For The Wicked
08. Soldier
09. DUF 1220
10. Abandon (Slight Return)
11. Nacht Musik

Review tagline: "Oh, Yngwie..."

We all know Yngwie Malmsteen as one of the founders of the guitar-oriented neoclassical rock / metal, who inspired thousands and thousands of people to pick up and play the guitar. He was pretty good at writing music in the '80s (and it sounded original back then!) and continued doing that in the '90s and onwards, teasing us with some great tunes from time to time.

Many have heard of his extravagant behavior and disrespect to fellow bandmates which led to constant changes in lineup. Many people could have also noticed that he worked with almost every Rainbow singer except the great Ronnie James Dio. And after Doogie White, the last "survivor from Rainbow", eventually left, he somehow hired Tim "Ripper" Owens, which gave Yngwie some decent sales for his 2008 album Perpetual Flame, which for me was the starting point for his "I-play-covers-of-myself" era (in terms of originality and songwriting).

So now, Malmsteen, bereft of a good lineup decided: "Fuck that, I'm going to record everything myself". But it's not like the Devin Townsend kind of "solo record" with decent production and Toontrack drums. Instead, the great maestro decided to use some GuitarPro-ish drums and sing the lines himself with a terrible AutoTune plugin. Yes, the liner notes mention Mark Ellis as the drummer, but you won't get away with this, Yngwie - we're not that stoopid! So yes, the vocals sound terrible, and also due to Yngwie's laziness to catch the perfect pitch, although he has an interesting timbre. On top of that, World On Fire is overwhelmed with rushing guitar parts, note skipping and so on and so forth. Oh and just in case, let me remind you that this is a review on an album by a guitar player. Seems like he didn't care about the result...

You know, it's really really sad to know that such a talented person (whose albums I had listened to since I was 11) turned into a self-repeating and lazy kind of artist.

The only memorable tracks were "Sorcery," which had just a little bit different approach to songwriting than the others, and "Soldier," which has a great chorus, but the obvious "copy-paste" of the same vocal track 4 times was kinda odd.

We love you, Yngwie, but with this approach you're definitely on the wrong track.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 5
Production: 6

Written by andreosokin | 17.08.2016

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 9   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 45 users
19.08.2016 - 08:54
Rating: 7
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by Irritable Ted on 18.08.2016 at 20:55

Gave up on the maestro when he decided he could sing. Love his guitar playing, but for God sake get a proper band together. You can't write decent songs and you sure as hell can't sing.

7.6. Really. For this?

Let's just say that I have a complicated rating system, okay?
19.08.2016 - 11:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
I prefer Bo Burnham's "The World On Fire" to this, much better music.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
19.08.2016 - 11:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Irritable Ted on 18.08.2016 at 20:55

Gave up on the maestro when he decided he could sing. Love his guitar playing, but for God sake get a proper band together. You can't write decent songs and you sure as hell can't sing.

His best albums were, indeed, when he had a proper band and all he did was play the guitar.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.08.2016 - 18:31
BloodFireDeath
Actually he did play with Dio. He did a cover of Aerosmiths Dream on with him lol.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
31.08.2016 - 09:13
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by BloodFireDeath on 30.08.2016 at 18:31

Actually he did play with Dio. He did a cover of Aerosmiths Dream on with him lol.

Well then it explains everything! Doogie White closed the circle in the early '00s and that's where Yngwie went mad
17.09.2016 - 21:38
BloodFireDeath
It is a decent cover. Worth listening too. But honestly yeah he has played with every singer from Rainbow lol.
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
14.01.2021 - 18:40
Rating: 4
JoHn Doe
The reviews feels negative but the rating is yet high.
Beyond the 90s, Yngwie is not worth checking out.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
19.01.2021 - 11:34
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by JoHn Doe on 14.01.2021 at 18:40

Album-wise, totally agree with you. However, some songs on the 00s albums are quite enjoyable, despite recording / mixing quality.

As for the rating, for me, everything below 8 is either average or bad.
19.01.2021 - 13:25
Rating: 4
JoHn Doe
Written by andreosokin on 19.01.2021 at 11:34

Written by JoHn Doe on 14.01.2021 at 18:40

Album-wise, totally agree with you. However, some songs on the 00s albums are quite enjoyable, despite recording / mixing quality.

As for the rating, for me, everything below 8 is either average or bad.

the rating system here on MS is pretty good, so 6 being average and 4 being bad makes a lot of sense to me.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.

Hits total: 12239 | This month: 15