Metal Storm logo
Marilyn Manson

Original post

Posted by , 05.04.2007 - 18:14
I'm sure a lot of you have dismissed him as being either an Alice Cooper and/or David Bowie rip off (I won't deny that he has tried to be both of these people before) or an annoying idol for the mallcore types to bow down to, but to me he is an artist. He's quite intelligent actually; did you know he is a member of Mensa? Yes yes, he also was a Reverend in the Church of Satan and considered Anton LaVey to be his mentor, but I wouldn't consider him to be a LaVeyan Satanist since he also said he frequented the library and the local Blockbuster more than the Church of Satan and appears to have an eclectic belief system from what I can tell.

My favorite albums from him are probably the first two: "Portrait of an American Family" and "Antichrist Superstar". His debut album is quite different than what came later since Daisy Berkowitz, the original guitarist and co-founder of the band (they were originally called Marilyn Manson and the Spooky Kids) contributed a lot to the songwriting and thus there are some solos here and there and the album has a more "fun" feel to it compared to the later releases which are obviously more dark and serious.

I can think of a lot of reasons why I also like "Antichrist Superstar". The concept of the worm to angel metamorphosis is pretty interesting and it's a pretty heavy album with songs such as "Angel with the Scabbed Wings", "1996", and "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" but finishes out with the melancholic number "Man That You Fear". I also just liked the band era in general since Zim Zum was in the band, who is also a talented guitarist; I still miss Daisy but he was a worthy successor (don't get me wrong, I like John 5 too).

So I hope there are some of you out there who are fans. To me, there's a lot more behind the band and the man than just the shock value and makeup.
13.05.2014 - 20:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
What's "black metal" about his reputation? Dating a much younger celebrity? Wearing grills and partying in a hot tub in an MTV music video? Sorry, but calling Marilyn Manson remotely black metal is too much a stretch for me to get on board with. The guy has some personal views that call into question the way society operates and points to the significance of counter-culture, but it's not like he's a church-burning punk-influenced Satanist.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.05.2014 - 00:21
Schizoid6.6

No, blackened means to slander someone's name, he's been a victim of that frequently...repudiated like black metal, but doing it in style like a rap superstar. Perhaps black metal needs a new sub-genre, black nu-metal LOL.
14.05.2014 - 02:59
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 14.05.2014 at 00:21

No, blackened means to slander someone's name, he's been a victim of that frequently...repudiated like black metal, but doing it in style like a rap superstar. Perhaps black metal needs a new sub-genre, black nu-metal LOL.

That's not what "blackened" means, when using it as part of a genre tag. "Blackened death metal" is not death metal that is hated on or slandered by mainstream, it's death metal with elements of black metal in it. Thus, "blackened."

Manson has not a single hint of black metal in his music. Calling him "blackened [any genre tag here]" doesn't make any sense at all.
----
14.05.2014 - 12:35
Schizoid6.6

I know, I wasn't using 'blackened' as a black metal reference here. It's my fault for using such an ambiguous term. I guess I forgot where I was, where the term 'metalhead' is quite literal to it's name.
15.05.2014 - 00:03
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Schizoid6.6 on 14.05.2014 at 12:35

I know, I wasn't using 'blackened' as a black metal reference here. It's my fault for using such an ambiguous term. I guess I forgot where I was, where the term 'metalhead' is quite literal to it's name.

My head's not made out of metal at all, actually, unless you count the calcium in my skull. Most of the stuff inside my head is non-metal materials, though. Unless you didn't mean "metalhead" as something literal.
----
08.01.2015 - 22:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
His sex life
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
15.01.2015 - 07:21
Amy

Yeah, I don't really see him as a mallcore type and I do like him. His band may not be my favorite musically, but I have really liked him in general since I was 11 and I heard not only his music but his image in general. It's easy to write him off as a poor man's Alice Cooper, but what I see him as is a misunderstood artist that really takes on pop culture and criticizes the media in an insightful manner that is even satirical. Hia style of music is not even the same as Alice Cooper or David Bowie. The similarities begin and end with the androgynous looks. He brings light to the hypocrisy and especially when I was young he was someone I idolized. That did not mean I did everything he does and dressed like him or anything like that. I idolized the way he stayed true to himself and I saw a true genius in him that which was refreshing to for once be encouraged to express myself. I could not have become the person today if I had not learned that lesson from Manson. I didn't really fit in as a kid and Marilyn Manson was the one who effectively told me it's alright to be yourself, which was a powerful lesson since I struggled with my mom constantly trying to change me to make me more like her friends kids.
----
\m/
24.04.2015 - 22:47
Filthgrinder

I think he's very smart and brings up a lot of good points on things. I'm not a huge fan of his music though.
----
04.09.2016 - 21:34
Crimson Maiden

I personally like Marilyn Manson's music, but, I don't agree with some of his views, like his views on religion...I like his dark look and sound...He doesn't scare me like he does some people...8-]]
10.04.2017 - 20:50
celine

I will always love MM. Grew up with his music.
24.05.2017 - 18:18
Jtbmetal123

Written by celine on 10.04.2017 at 20:50

Same here. He is awesome.
04.06.2018 - 23:13
The reverend is always the reverend!
12.08.2018 - 23:42
simon

Written by celine on 10.04.2017 at 20:50

Me too!