Style: Avantgarde metal, Black metal

Owners:

105 have it
11 want it

01. The Synarchy Of Molten Bones
02. Famished For Breath
03. Onward Where Most With Ravin I May Meet
04. Internecine Iatrogenesis

So here we are. Six years and two EPs later, the mighty Deathspell Omega have returned with new material. It's not "Doomspell Omega" or a reggae black metal album, and sure, one could complain about a rehash of old ideas here. But I'll be damned if it isn't nice to have these titans of French black metal back on the throne showing all their emulators how the game is really played.

Go and get it.

Apothecary's picks | More picks ››

Found in 13 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 91   Visited by: 538 users
03.10.2016 - 20:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Alakazam on 01.10.2016 at 16:40

Everyone here is seeming to be masterbating themselves edging for a Kenose 2, and I don't blame them, I just have. Anywho, I think this will be competitively exciting to see whether if all the fafffing DsO copycats will finally be in a league with them. Because of them its going to be a much harder game for quality, bar Drought.

Yeah it's a very different playing field since they went quiet. I'm hoping they pull an Ordo ad Chao and totally redefine what black metal is whilst being 100% black metal whilst doing it. Or just do something else entirely like doom or death metal.
03.10.2016 - 20:58
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ordo Ad Chao? I wish.
03.10.2016 - 21:21
Rating: 7
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Auntie Sahar on 03.10.2016 at 20:18

Until then, stop fucking with it

Thank you
03.10.2016 - 22:01
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Oh lord, looks like MA is going through the exact same drama

Edit: They literally switched it 5 times so far
04.10.2016 - 16:58
Zap
I like how they just drop their album announcements like a month before it's actually out. Fuck you all other bands that aren't doing it this way.
04.10.2016 - 18:03
psykometal
A staff guy...
Here are some facts:

-Several other news sites are calling it an EP; presumably only because of the tracklist and track lengths (since there is no official source calling it an EP)
-After pouring over NoEvDia's site and Facebook page, it appears they typically refer to EPs as MLPs/MCDs

I'm going to say that until NoEvDia or DsO actually call it an EP or MLP, we're just going to stick with labelling it a full length.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.10.2016 - 18:39
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
The label called Drought a MCD (Mini CD, right?), but yet they refer to Mass Grave Aesthetics, Chaining the Katechon, Kenose etc. as EPs.
In this case it was called CD, so I'm pretty sure they count it as full length. I could count Kenose as a full-length really, for a band like DsO 30 minutes playtime is quite enough for an album.
04.10.2016 - 18:50
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Unhealer on 04.10.2016 at 18:39

MCD (Mini CD, right?)

Yes, MCD = Mini CD (and MLP = Mini LP), which are alternative ways of indicating a release type as an EP.

And many sites/labels have a bad habit of using "LP" and "full length" interchangeably, which can be rather confusing when trying to figure out if they are referring to a release as a full length type release or a vinyl medium release...
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

04.10.2016 - 23:12
koob

Why do you guys care so much about meaningless shit like this being an EP or not ? Just enjoy having 30min of new DsO...

Can't wait to listen to this and as other people have said before, I have the feeling that it's gonna be slower which wouldn't upset me as long as it's good.

Glad they decided to release something, I was afraid we would never hear about them ever again after Drought.
04.10.2016 - 23:47
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by koob on 04.10.2016 at 23:12

Why do you guys care so much about meaningless shit like this being an EP or not ?

That's the whole charm of database editing
05.10.2016 - 00:08
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 04.10.2016 at 23:47

Written by koob on 04.10.2016 at 23:12

Why do you guys care so much about meaningless shit like this being an EP or not ?

That's the whole charm of database editing

Other wise its chaos in the streets. CHAOS I tell you!

Btw I've pretty much accepted that this might be a full release after re-reading the FB announcement
05.10.2016 - 03:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Zap on 04.10.2016 at 16:58

I like how they just drop their album announcements like a month before it's actually out. Fuck you all other bands that aren't doing it this way.

It reminds me of Death Grips, honestly
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
05.10.2016 - 11:51
Akatash

Holy shit, a new DsO. I hope this is going to be epic. It has to be epic.
05.10.2016 - 14:15
Zap
Written by Auntie Sahar on 05.10.2016 at 03:51

It reminds me of Death Grips, honestly

Yeah, that's another no-nonsense band. They are rare these days it seems.
29.10.2016 - 11:32
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
I just pre ordered it. Meow
01.11.2016 - 00:25
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.11.2016 - 00:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I would suggest bringing an oxygen tank because you won't be able to breath for the duration. After a listen I'd say it's pretty good, somewhat like FAS but taking to an even more extreme. I definitely prefer it over Drought anyway. My issue is that the relentlessness gets a bit boring and tiring after a point, the drumming in particular which is just a constant stream of blasts. The last track in particular doesn't seem to do much the others don't do really. Would have liked some more quiet moments or something to break it up a bit more but it's the kind of return that will please 98% of DSO fans I'd wager.
01.11.2016 - 01:06
Vombatus
Potorro
Yeah, quite relentless. Very Paracletus-like in that aspect, even more with the production and riffing style. So it's definitely good but not blow away. Lacked any surprise factor I guess, even if 4 years of complete silence created hype.
Would have prefered a more varied approach, like Drought. A continuation on the slower almost post-metal tracks of that EP would have been better but can't complain, it's new DSO material
01.11.2016 - 01:15
mz

I agree with Joe and Vomb. I guess the best parts are the last minutes of the third track with its crazy riffs.Also,would love more music like the last minute of the final track,but with less drums.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.11.2016 - 07:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vombatus on 01.11.2016 at 01:06

Yeah, quite relentless. Very Paracletus-like in that aspect, even more with the production and riffing style. So it's definitely good but not blow away. Lacked any surprise factor I guess, even if 4 years of complete silence created hype.
Would have prefered a more varied approach, like Drought. A continuation on the slower almost post-metal tracks of that EP would have been better but can't complain, it's new DSO material

I wanted something different like slower and hypnotic. I haven't heard this yet so I can't say anything.
Better this kind of stuff than Drought which was a piece of shit so I'm SO glad it's not like that, jeez.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2016 - 11:12
Zap
They should try something new.
01.11.2016 - 12:12
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.11.2016 at 07:50

I wanted something different like slower and hypnotic. I haven't heard this yet so I can't say anything.
Better this kind of stuff than Drought which was a piece of shit so I'm SO glad it's not like that, jeez.

Well, my reference to Drought was precisely because half of that EP introduced slower tunes with a different approach, not only furious abrasiveness à la Paracletus (which is basically what Synarchy is, albeit even more chaotic).

After 4 listens in a row, track 3 really stands out as the best. And even if I love DSO drumming, it's sometimes almost annoying here. They just can't stop the blast beat. Was hoping they could at least stop during the last minute instead of all that click-click-click
01.11.2016 - 13:51
Rating: 9
God Alone

Track 3 tore me up and made me crawl in terror.
01.11.2016 - 22:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Vombatus on 01.11.2016 at 12:12
Well, my reference to Drought was precisely because half of that EP introduced slower tunes with a different approach, not only furious abrasiveness à la Paracletus (which is basically what Synarchy is, albeit even more chaotic).

The problem was that Drought to me was completely souless with a production so horrible for this band. So sterile, yuck. The post-metal sound is clearly not for them.
Maybe it has been my years blasting too much De Magia Veterum but this doesn't sound to chaotic to me.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.11.2016 - 23:56
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Amazing
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
02.11.2016 - 02:40
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.11.2016 at 22:50

The problem was that Drought to me was completely souless with a production so horrible for this band. So sterile, yuck. The post-metal sound is clearly not for them.

I think we listened different albums
02.11.2016 - 05:12
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Vombatus on 02.11.2016 at 02:40

Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.11.2016 at 22:50

I think we listened different albums

I think the same :p
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
02.11.2016 - 06:27
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Zap on 01.11.2016 at 11:12

They should try something new.

+1

Was quite bored by this, maybe my expectations were too high going in.
02.11.2016 - 08:42
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
All of their previous studio albums bringed something new to the table but this one surely don't. It just feels forced. This situation reminds me of Sunn O))) and Kannon.
02.11.2016 - 16:15
God Alone

I sure got what I expected. This band crafted a new sound years ago; no matter how many hundreds of clones and wannabes have popped out since then, I'll still recognize DsO's unique signature from the first swirl of notes. I don't think they should change at any cost. Not yet, at least.
This album sounds like a firm and uncompromising statement: this is what we are, no more, no less. Take it or leave it. And I know where I want to stand.

Hits total: 15462 | This month: 41