Metal Storm logo
Rock music - The devils music?

Original post

Posted by necrovamp, 05.04.2007 - 23:45
I found this website the other day, (ttp://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/devils_music.htm)
it angered me. I thought it a load of bollocks. I know a Mormon, thats one of the strictest christian religions i know of, who listens to black sabbath etc, and anyone who likes metal should know that the 'devil horns' isn't the sign of the devil, its a sign witch can give evil or take evil away, you dont see satanists standing round a fire doing that do you! Im also fed up of chritians standing outside of gigs going on and on about how going to see 'such and such a band' will send you till hell, I don't see a satanist doing that to christians. anyway enough ranting what are your thoughts

I am sorry if i have offended anyone, if you are a christian i fully respect that, i just dont like people going on about how im going to hell because i listen to Korpiklaani or Dragonforce or Ensiferum. there are many paths to go by but in the end they all meet in the same place.
22.01.2013 - 22:30
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by IronAngel on 22.01.2013 at 18:40

Just lock this topi, jesus. You can't even make an intelligent response to these posts.

Why not? Some of these posts may have gotten a little heated, but at least they were intelligently thought out.

It's my fault for reviving it, though. This thread was dead since 2009, but I saw it and accidentally brought it back from the grave. I'm pretty sure the guy who was being a dick (albeit an intelligent dick) hasn't been on this website for 900 days or so.
----
22.01.2013 - 22:47
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Haha man, that video was hilarious.. So full of crap!
22.01.2013 - 23:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Written by Guest on 22.01.2013 at 09:05

a bunch of kids ? hmm :/ it's kinda looking down on musicians whatever, I really agree with Alice Cooper quotation up to some extent that the music is a kinda of caricature of satanism,but if it's caricature of satanism, it yet comes from reality , there is that reality that many people don't like that side , don't want to be into any kind of religious games , they're sick and tired of it and somewhat have been hurt by it, so they're reflecting back what have been always on their nerve, so the religious parties should accept this bitter side of their own bitter truth.

They shouldn't blame all the music for being about promoting "Satan", but I should say if metal music wasn't about bashing on religion or joking about them,perhaps I wasn't into it this much,also I should add that I don't really care about lyric theme in songs so much, but the whole atmosphere in this music is kinda being rebellion, and if this music lacked to be rebellious in any kind of it, again I might not be into it THIS MUCH and perhaps I could lose some parts of my interest in it .

I always love when someone quote something really old (almost six years ago). But yeah, I don't really know what to respond.
----
23.01.2013 - 16:52
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Quote:
Written by Warman on 22.01.2013 at 23:11

I always love when someone quote something really old (almost six years ago). But yeah, I don't really know what to respond.

oh I didn't notice the date at all !
23.01.2013 - 22:13
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 23.01.2013 at 16:52

oh I didn't notice the date at all !

Well at least I'm not alone in this.

And to Insomniac!: I agree. That video was at least good for a hearty laugh, if nothing else.
----
24.01.2013 - 22:31
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Written by Guest on 22.01.2013 at 08:53

Written by Dane Train on 21.07.2008 at 03:28

abuse of religion

what ?! abuse of religion?!
Religion is abusive by nature.

I am not following you. You are taking a quote of of context. Why?
----
(space for rent)
25.01.2013 - 13:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Warman on 22.01.2013 at 23:11

Written by Guest on 22.01.2013 at 09:05

a bunch of kids ? hmm :/ it's kinda looking down on musicians whatever, I really agree with Alice Cooper quotation up to some extent that the music is a kinda of caricature of satanism,but if it's caricature of satanism, it yet comes from reality , there is that reality that many people don't like that side , don't want to be into any kind of religious games , they're sick and tired of it and somewhat have been hurt by it, so they're reflecting back what have been always on their nerve, so the religious parties should accept this bitter side of their own bitter truth.

They shouldn't blame all the music for being about promoting "Satan", but I should say if metal music wasn't about bashing on religion or joking about them,perhaps I wasn't into it this much,also I should add that I don't really care about lyric theme in songs so much, but the whole atmosphere in this music is kinda being rebellion, and if this music lacked to be rebellious in any kind of it, again I might not be into it THIS MUCH and perhaps I could lose some parts of my interest in it .

yes when account is delited and you think who the F posted it
somebody quotes me , my post what I made 5 years ago .... o yes and now I need ansver and remeber what I ment whit it when overdose alcohol ..... I love such quotes indeed
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
10.03.2013 - 00:33
skrog1

I mean, there's some truth to the whole "rock and metal is the devil's music" argument. I mean, check out Deicide, Watain, Dimmu Borgir, etc. Traditionally, rock n' roll and thus metal were used for rebelion. What's more rebelious than hating God and loving the devil? Well, these days, I'm afraid that's become the trend. It's almost like if you're a Christian at any given metal show, you're looked down upon and scorned. Now, all that being said, I firmly believe that the devil can manifest in ANY genre of music. I've heard satanic Ska, Country, Pop, etc. So these days, it's pretty ridiculous to just hearken metal and rock as only devil's music. It's just not true anymore. The devil can be found anywhere.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
25.03.2013 - 23:40
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:33

(post)

You sound like you're saying this as a Christian that really believes that the devil exists. I find this intriguing, considering you have Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, and Morbid Angel listed as your favorite bands.
----
27.03.2013 - 04:39
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Jaeryd on 25.03.2013 at 23:40

I find this intriguing, considering you have Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, and Morbid Angel listed as your favorite bands.

Just like you can't judge a book by it's cover, you also can't judge a metalhead by their metal.

I am a Christian and I listen to bands like Slayer (not viable as satanists since Tom openly admits to being Catholic, they don't claim to being satanists and Kerry is just a God hating idjit), Cannibal Corpse (they're just "gore/horror obsessed", not "satanic" in any way) and Morbid Angel (sure they use a pentagram and "sing" about anti-religious topics but I really don't think any of them consider themselves "satanists", they just like the topic same as Slayer and untold thousands of other "anti-Christian" bands out there).

I also listen to bands like Watain and Dark Funeral, who are vastly closer to being actual satanists than Slayer or Morbid Angel could ever hope to portay themselves as. And I listen to bands like Putridity (gore obsessed BDM) and Insidious Decrepancy (gore obsessed and anti-Christian TBDM) who make Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel look like gore/horror-lite in terms of brutality and imagery.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

27.03.2013 - 11:10
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by psykometal on 27.03.2013 at 04:39

Written by Jaeryd on 25.03.2013 at 23:40

I find this intriguing, considering you have Slayer, Cannibal Corpse, and Morbid Angel listed as your favorite bands.

(post)

I never said there was anything wrong with liking those bands and being Christian, I simply said it was intriguing. I grew up religious, and anti-religious themes would have put me off in my younger days. I find it interesting that people can listen to music that directly contradicts their own beliefs. Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I just think it's interesting.
----
27.03.2013 - 19:37
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Jaeryd on 27.03.2013 at 11:10

I never said there was anything wrong with liking those bands and being Christian, I simply said it was intriguing. I grew up religious, and anti-religious themes would have put me off in my younger days. I find it interesting that people can listen to music that directly contradicts their own beliefs. Again, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I just think it's interesting.

Fair enough. For me it's about the music not the lyrics or the imagery, the vocalist is just another musician playing his/her instrument. And there's nothing eveil or satanic music, sure some of it sounds evil and it may be intended to create an evil atmosphere but that doesn't make me a satanist or evil just because I think the music sounds good/great/awesome.
----

28.03.2013 - 11:41
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I would just like to point out that there is a difference between what people say and what people do. I am referring to Tom Araya calling himself a Catholic. pfff.. yeah right! A Catholic would not try to "piss many people off" with the name the album.

I personally try to avoid music directly offending God and Christ or say stupid things about Christianity.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.03.2013 - 18:56
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by K✞ulu on 28.03.2013 at 11:41

A Catholic would not try to "piss many people off" with the name the album.

I respectfully disagree. You don't have to be not Catholic to have a sick sense of humor, a love for dark and unholy things or just a love for pissing people off by provoking their beliefs.
28.03.2013 - 19:46
nasmith

Written by Guest on 28.03.2013 at 18:56

I respectfully disagree. You don't have to be not Catholic to have a sick sense of humor, a love for dark and unholy things or just a love for pissing people off by provoking their beliefs.

Yeah, because most Catholics see the bullshit in their religion and don't take it seriously but hold on to their tradition for the formality. I don't see a point in holding on to it for formality.
28.03.2013 - 20:40
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by nasmith on 28.03.2013 at 19:46

Yeah, because most Catholics see the bullshit in their religion and don't take it seriously but hold on to their tradition for the formality. I don't see a point in holding on to it for formality.

I also don't see people holding to some religion as a formality as believers. I was talking about real Catholics or for that matter Chriatians.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.03.2013 - 20:43
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth

I don't see grounds for your disagreement. You cannot be a Christian and love pissing people off, it's that simple.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.03.2013 - 20:55
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 28.03.2013 at 20:43

I don't see grounds for your disagreement. You cannot be a Christian and love pissing people off, it's that simple.

Yes, you can, just look at what the Vatican does all the time
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.03.2013 - 21:17
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.03.2013 at 20:55

I don't really follow what the Vatican "does all the time," but do you mean anyways? Examples? I would just like to see how the Vatican pisses you off.
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

28.03.2013 - 22:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by K✞ulu on 28.03.2013 at 21:17

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 28.03.2013 at 20:55

I don't really follow what the Vatican "does all the time," but do you mean anyways? Examples? I would just like to see how the Vatican pisses you off.

sweeping child abuse under the carpet and instead of firing doodgy priests placing them somewhere else where they can go right ahead, condemning the use of condoms and thus killing millions indirectly. Pure power trips of the Vatican abusing their power not for good but for bad. Getting exhorbitantly rich at the cost of normal people and the poor. Only supporting the poor in word... etc etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.03.2013 - 22:55
Lit.
Account deleted

I sure hope that's sarcasm.
28.03.2013 - 22:59
Edmund Fogg

Brace yourself, Atheists are coming https://www.facebook.com/#!/WFLAtheism
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
29.03.2013 - 03:34
psykometal
A staff guy...

I am Christian and I love pissing people off. I am Christian and I see and acknowledge all of the hypocrisy in my fellow Christians like what Marcel called out the Vatican for in his last post. Christians can be some of the most horrible people on the planet but I still maintain my faith because I still do still believe.
----

29.03.2013 - 10:29
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Guest on 28.03.2013 at 22:55

I sure hope that's sarcasm.

I sure hope your comment is. I guess for some people when a Christian is telling them about his faith, it pisses them off, but seriously, Christians think and talk about "whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable." Christians are not trying to piss people off.

Written by psykometal on 29.03.2013 at 03:34

I am Christian and I love pissing people off. I am Christian and I see and acknowledge all of the hypocrisy in my fellow Christians like what Marcel called out the Vatican for in his last post. Christians can be some of the most horrible people on the planet but I still maintain my faith because I still do still believe.

Consciously Christians do not try to piss people off. As far as hypocrisy is concerned, people make mistakes; Christians do not say they are sinless. The main difference between Christians and non-Christians, as one Russian theologian said, is their attitude towards sin. Christians are called to hate sin and to love God. By the way, I wonder what your faith is...
----
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

29.03.2013 - 18:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by K✞ulu on 29.03.2013 at 10:29

By the way, I wonder what your faith is...

My faith is non-denominational Christian so I follow my own personal interpretation of Christianity, not what some priest or pastor tells me I should believe or follow lest I go to Hell for all eternity.
----

31.03.2013 - 06:59
Edmund Fogg

Written by psykometal on 29.03.2013 at 18:32

My faith is non-denominational Christian so I follow my own personal interpretation of Christianity, not what some priest or pastor tells me I should believe or follow lest I go to Hell for all eternity.

Isn't that agnostic rather then full blown christianity?
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
31.03.2013 - 09:32
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Edmund Fogg on 31.03.2013 at 06:59

Isn't that agnostic rather then full blown christianity?

Sort of. Straight agnosticism is when you're not sure of what to believe and you acknowledge that there may or may not be something out there in the form of a higher power and therefore don't really conform or claim to worship/follow any specific deity or religion. What you're referring to is agnostic theism in which one believes in something (whether it be a single deity or multiple deities depends on the person in question) but still isn't entirely sure what to believe about that deity or deities and how that deity or deities actually operates.

I guess you could say I'm an agnostic [theistic] Christian because I do believe in God and Christ but I'm not entirely sure what to believe with regards to how God actually is and I prefer not to assume he is the "stringent asshole" that a lot of Christians can make him out to be. I have always found it odd and ridiculous that a lot of Christians say he is a forgiving God but then turn around and say that God will damn people like me who choose to have premarital sex and curse/swear to Hell for all eternity for our sins. I prefer to think that God will look at the sum of a person's actions as a whole throughout their lives and pass judgement based on our actions as a whole rather than just damning us to Hell because you made a few bad/poor choices in life.
----

04.04.2013 - 23:17
FOOCK Nam

Rock music is devil's music if regarding what's its attitude about. But if you see deeply, you would recognize that Rock music survives for it is Freedom of speech. The freedom of expression, freedom of attitude, freedom of thought, freedom of art, freedom of view... It's not that you hear the song singing "kill" then you would do killing or considered the music devilish or the musicians and listeners are devil.... It's freely of expression and the energy of lifeflow and passion to live, it's the Zeal for living attitude of the Western/America culture. That's why the Rock music faces everything in their work: death, ghost, religion, God, killing, WAR, violence, insanity, love, strength, loneliness, darkness, evil, devil, wolf, vampire... etc. The thing that I been fascinated about rock/metal are all about its themes combination with music. It is totally different that all what in life I had saw before. Then I learned more thing about the Western culture, then I realize rock/music is just a very Western thing... it's freedom for yourself with the attitude that in metal, it is same in other everything we could see like in Hollywood movies, individualism, and lots of subcultures. It's hard for you to see that,... because I dont live from the West or US, so I can see the whole side of the Western culture in rock music. It's a part of developed after WWII. Rock music is devil's or not, doesnt matter for me, it is for freedom, devil or not good anyway.

But if Rock music's devil or not then how about rap ? its all about drug and kill...