10. Era
11. Persephone (Slight Return)

Disc II [limited edition bonus disc]
01. The Ward
02. Spring MCMLXXIV
03. Cusp Of Eternity [live]
04. The Drapery Falls [live]
05. Voice Of Treason [live]

When a trailblazing monster of a cult act turns into a '70s prog tribute band, there's surely going to be some backlash. Opeth have been getting loads of backlash (deserved and not) since 2011's Heritage. I have no doubt that Sorceress will be met by many with at least the same amount of hostility. Whether or not it's justified is a different story; let's see how different they are.

Variety has always been Opeth's main strength, so it's no surprise that nuanced and sometimes surprising songwriting is still present. There is so much going on within some songs that it's easy to lose track of which song is playing if your thoughts trail off for a minute. The band still can, most of the time, coalesce numerous contrasting passages into a cohesive composition ("Strange Brew", "The Wilde Flowers"). This applies to most of the long songs here, but not all of them are so masterfully crafted. The annoying beginning of "Sorceress" and the meandering ending of "The Seventh Sojourn" are the best examples of questionable composing choices.

I can't shake off the feeling that Opeth have lost some of their knack for finesse and dainty songwriting that shines so brightly on Pale Communion in songs like "Voice Of Treason" or "Faith In Others", to name a few. No song on Sorceress, however good, comes close to the adroit brilliance of the best songs from the previous release. Speaking of great songs, "Chrysalis" is a sure shot for all fans of old Opeth. Style- and mood-wise, it could easily fit on their older albums. Minus the growls, of course.

The number of progressive influences that can be heard on the album is overwhelming. Even somebody who has only fleetingly glanced at the prog scene of the 1970s will hear that the sorceress has concocted a strange brew made of numerous ingredients from that era. All those influences stick out, like all song titles that I ungracefully crammed into that last sentence.

This review would be incomplete without a word about the production. I have no idea how Opeth could let this out in the world. The sound of the bass guitar, or whatever it is that sounds so thundering, overshadows all other instruments and vocals. Everything else sounds muffled in comparison. The sorceress conjured up 56 minutes of aural suckage.

As much as I love Pale Communion and like Sorceress, I can't understand why Opeth chose to shed their unique style and don the apparel of a copycat. They are still a bunch of amazingly talented musicians, but now, instead of making their own music, they rehash ideas that are 40 years old. If for you Opeth ended on Watershed, you can give this album a miss. Just listen to "Chrysalis". Everyone else - you might be pleased, but I'm not sure you will be amazed.

Written on 03.10.2016 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 39   Visited by: 673 users
06.10.2016 - 07:36
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Fully agree with Jaeryd said.

That is why Opeth sounding me boring and flat since "Heritage".
06.10.2016 - 11:44
Rating: 6
qnick90

What I wanted to say was Opeth were always almost a tribute band - The first tune of Harlequin forest was taken from some swedish folk singer, the name of My arms your hearse is taken from Comus... And it has been always a plesure how they took one little bit part and redone it into some new and chunky song - Like the Benighted, sure, that is that one riff from Camel, but after that it is a classic myriad of riffs, so there is noc copy/paste thing... The thing is, Opeth are no longer able to master the obvious influences from other bands in their own unique style, so listening to most of the songs from Sorceress was for me like "meh, this sounds like Alice in chains, with no creativity in it. With Wilde Flowers - again - strong Aerosmith inspiration. Will O the Wisp - Jethro Tull..... I could go on. But it is not about stealing riffs, This band had very unique sound and now they sound almost exactly like something I already listened.
06.10.2016 - 21:35
Rating: 7
Dave FC

I find this a very good album while doing the laundry, really. You can hear nice music and,at the same time, you're losing nothing.
Anyway, as a curiosity, I find that 'thunderous' bass sound very enjoyable. Reminds me a lot of Uriah Heep's first albums when bass and drums lead the song and the guitars are just a perfect companion to give even more power to it. That perfect example is ERA. I like it.
07.10.2016 - 10:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
I don't know why but this record might sound good while fornicating with your partner.
07.10.2016 - 16:17
Daniell
_爱情_
I've been listening to this album every day for some time now, and I've realized that my initial rating was a bit too generous. So I adjusted it.
08.10.2016 - 00:58
Berberbart

There is Opeth 1994-2008 and Opeth 2011-2016. They are two different bands to me. I'm a huge fan of the first Opeth. The second Opeth could not overwhelm me like the first Opeth could. So 6 points for Sorceress, just an average album.
16.10.2016 - 10:03
JF ooo

Pertinent review, there are hits ( not so good as on Pale Communion ) and misses ( not so bad as on Heritage ), small cheap coherent album in value to Heritage, but worse comparing to Pale Communion. Great songs - Sorceress, Wilde Flowers, Chrysalis and Strange Brew, good songs ( acoustic mainly ) - Will o the wisp , 1st intro and Era, bad or pointless are the rest. 7,5 - cross between last 2 albums. 3 prog-rock albums done, what next ? 2nd Watershed or back to roots ? Or new prog-rock Rubik cube.
30.10.2016 - 15:41
Rating: 5
SSM
Massacred
Agree with the reviewer on this album, but why do you gave it a 7.2 then? According to your own review, this should be like a 5 or 6 or N/A. Just saying.

And this is the best point on this review:
"No song on Sorceress, however good, comes close to the adroit brilliance of the best songs from the previous release."
Definitely a downgrade from the previous release.
19.09.2017 - 19:11
darkthrone

I always felt that opeth were really good and then they seemed to go off the boil i just couldnt get on with this album at all

Hits total: 14001 | This month: 27