Metal Storm logo
Viking metal from non-Viking countries

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 06.04.2007 - 02:07
This morning while driving to work something suddenly popped into my head....since Viking metal is pretty geographically specific, should bands who play Viking metal necessarily be from Scandinavia to not be seen as trying to be something they're not? I mean I know there are a fair amount of Viking metal from Germany as well, but lets say a band from here where I live (South Africa) wanted to start up a Viking Metal band - wont that be sort of....stupid? Im a huge fan of Viking metal and wondered about this quite a lot....had I been in a band i would probably love to play Viking metal but I would probably put my war-paint on my face, look in the mirror and go "what the fuck dude...ur about as Viking as the zulu in the bush".

whats your thoughts on this?
18.04.2007 - 14:13
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Judas - I agree but estonain culture are so close to Finland and actualy then finish bands cant play real viking metal(BTW there are not viking band sin finland, Enisferum, Moonsorrow are folk) and I there can be mix viking/folk/pagan metal and IMO viking metal goes in same category how folk metal viking/folk, black/viking

There was viking contacts in Latvai too specely in 'Kurzeme' west notyh. west east part and pll from there goes to Danmark and attack to viliages there but it was not big historic event and here are no viking bands and only one folk band Skyforger and ist NOT viking metal
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
18.04.2007 - 14:38
Judas
The Amputator
Written by Bad English on 18.04.2007 at 14:13

@Judas - I agree but estonain culture are so close to Finland and actualy then finish bands cant play real viking metal(BTW there are not viking band sin finland, Enisferum, Moonsorrow are folk) and I there can be mix viking/folk/pagan metal and IMO viking metal goes in same category how folk metal viking/folk, black/viking

There was viking contacts in Latvai too specely in 'Kurzeme' west notyh. west east part and pll from there goes to Danmark and attack to viliages there but it was not big historic event and here are no viking bands and only one folk band Skyforger and ist NOT viking metal

I never actually called Ensiferum and Moonsorrow 'Viking', although with the latter I've grudgingly accepted that definition (they actually have referred to themselves as more 'Viking' of late, rather than their earlier preferred 'Epic Heathen'). Oh, and way back when you were new to MS, you were the one who recommended me Skyforger, and I do agree they're great and NOT Viking!

OK, I'm now guilty of further off-topic discussions too. To pull things back into some shape of order, shall we take the examples of bands like Runic, who aren't from Nordic lands but sing Viking Metal? What are your thoughts on occurrences like that?

I personally think that as long as they fulfill the requirements (i.e. lyrics, music, and to an extent, image) that it's fine. Runic play Viking Metal, sing about Vikings, and try and be as Scandinavian as they can!

@Valaskjalf: Have you gone one way or another yet with your musical expression?
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
18.04.2007 - 15:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Judas on 18.04.2007 at 14:38

Written by Bad English on 18.04.2007 at 14:13

I never actually called Ensiferum and Moonsorrow 'Viking', although with the latter I've grudgingly accepted that definition (they actually have referred to themselves as more 'Viking' of late, rather than their earlier preferred 'Epic Heathen'). Oh, and way back when you were new to MS, you were the one who recommended me Skyforger, and I do agree they're great and NOT Viking!

OK, I'm now guilty of further off-topic discussions too. To pull things back into some shape of order, shall we take the examples of bands like Runic, who aren't from Nordic lands but sing Viking Metal? What are your thoughts on occurrences like that?

I personally think that as long as they fulfill the requirements (i.e. lyrics, music, and to an extent, image) that it's fine. Runic play Viking Metal, sing about Vikings, and try and be as Scandinavian as they can!

@Valaskjalf: Have you gone one way or another yet with your musical expression?

me to I never call them viking metal and I dont know if tahy call them selfs viking too
Yes Skyforger are great and its pagan/folk/black black first album and demo

About Runic well if thay come from not viking countries then thay shood be good in music, lyrics and make them selfs lbe real viking band but a lot of bands just dont do it
----

apos;'
[image]
04.02.2010 - 23:17
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Well at first i know there is excellent Thronar from Netherlands (yes, Holland still quite close to "viking countries")

but what about for instance Viking Throne from Brasil?

i claim this is real Viking WAR...possibly even more than Swedish War's
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

05.02.2010 - 20:12
Tormentor666
I think you can always try playing music with influences from the folk music of your place, and maybe you can get the same pagan feeling and atmosphere
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
14.02.2010 - 14:13
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
You can always "try", but not always you success with it
----

16.02.2010 - 11:13
Gobobbles
Account deleted
I dunno if they have been mentioned already, but DoomSword from Italy is fucking outstanding. Every song on every album is memorable...to me anyway.
16.02.2010 - 13:17
Skøllgrim
Northern
In my opinion, when bands from "non-viking countries" make viking metal, its really often cheap and easy, in the sense that the lyrics and the style is just plain retarded. In particularly often seen after the boom of folk/viking metal bands and their popularity that happened some time ago. As I see it the bands with the best quality on the content both lyric and music wise seems to be from the countries who has vikings originally. There's just something about it, far away foreign countries use it as a "cool" thing and don't appear authentic at all. Lyrics like "Odin I raise my mead/sword/ for you as I go to war!" makes me laugh rather than making me feel ready for battle.
17.02.2010 - 01:45
danielllewis
Arkona is from Russia and they're pretty fucking good.

Usually viking metal from non-nordic countries is garbage, especially if it's from the USA
----
17.02.2010 - 04:48
Zuzuz0r
Ulveheim from Mexico, lol, though I kinda like them, at least I like them more than most prehispanic black metal bands(prehispanic influences and black metal could be an interesting mix, unfortunately most bands who play this style fail a lot). Also, they sing in norwegian.

----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
22.02.2010 - 11:33
Skøllgrim
Northern
Written by danielllewis on 17.02.2010 at 01:45

Usually viking metal from non-nordic countries is garbage, especially if it's from the USA

If I remember correctly Arkona played Folk metal / Slav Metal. But hey they might still be damn good.
26.02.2010 - 22:02
Ernis
狼獾
Written by danielllewis on 17.02.2010 at 01:45

Well... Russia is actually rather legitimate to play this music because they use Russian (and also Finno-Ugric) style plus it should not be forgotten that vikings were around in Russia as well... tho in Russia they were called varyags... they made their way along the Volga river down to Byzantine Empire...

Viking does not mean Norway/Sweden only in that sense...
27.02.2010 - 17:02
regallmigthy
When countrys who are not viking countrys, such as US, it comes out as some deformed death metal thing, so the only viking metal that should be out there sould come from the origanal viking countrys.
04.03.2010 - 19:43
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
This is untrue and unfair...just take the fact, that "original viking countries" may produce shitty music as well easily...one must judge every band separately
----

04.03.2010 - 20:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Ellrohir on 04.03.2010 at 19:43

This is untrue and unfair...just take the fact, that "original viking countries" may produce shitty music as well easily...one must judge every band separately

and its true there many Norvegian, swedish, danish bands(specely danish because I dont like moust of it) play shity muisc and moust overated danish band is where Kim Bendix Petersen plays, now re located in Dallas
----

apos;'
[image]
08.03.2010 - 11:34
Hylia
I know of lots of Canadian bands that play viking metal. I guess it doesn't have anything to do of whether or not you live in Scandinavia. Bands here are not less talented, musicially. But i've heard of some people make fun of other bands who don't fit the viking image yet play viking metal.
01.09.2010 - 18:38
Hammer Horde is a US-act, pretty close to viking-metal, though obviously more death metal-oriented like AA
----
I'd rather like what I like because I like it, despite if everyone hates me for it, then like what I hate just to be accepted by you.
23.09.2010 - 21:30
Jötun
Bah! For shame.

If a band creates their craft well then who gives a shit where they're from, aside from a few native Scandinavian elitists who want to own a hereditary monopoly on a sub-genre. Nevermind the fact that such closed systems are inherantly doomed for failure.

It shouldn't matter if a band is made up of Wodaabe tribesmen from the Sahara, if they create convincing sounding "viking metal" then so be it.
27.09.2010 - 13:12
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Written by Jötun on 23.09.2010 at 21:30

Bah! For shame.

If a band creates their craft well then who gives a shit where they're from, aside from a few native Scandinavian elitists who want to own a hereditary monopoly on a sub-genre. Nevermind the fact that such closed systems are inherantly doomed for failure.

It shouldn't matter if a band is made up of Wodaabe tribesmen from the Sahara, if they create convincing sounding "viking metal" then so be it.

I absolutly agree here. No problem with a band from a non-viking country playing viking metal as long as it's done good. Saying otherwise would be like saying that only bands from say Ireland can play folk metal with an "Irish sound or inspiration"
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
01.10.2010 - 12:14
Iron man512
See it the bands with the best quality on the content both lyric and music wise seems to be from the countries who has vikings originally. There's just something about it, far away foreign countries use it as a "cool" thing and don't appear authentic at all. Lyrics like "Odin I raise my mead/sword/ for you as I go to war!"

nse tips
nse market
17.02.2011 - 07:35
Thunderhead
Manowar is not... Viking metal, but they sound like a silly Viking-Lyric oriented sometimes... It's like Iron man512 said... "I raise my sword to thy Odin/My hammer to thy thor/ etc".

Here in Brazil we have... Tuatha de Danann, it's not viking, but it's folk, and it is about celtic mithologies.

But i know a viking metal from Brazil, it's called Hugin Munim.
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson
17.02.2011 - 08:38
Void_Eater
Account deleted
If somebody lives in South Africa and wants to form a Viking Metal band, then by all means go for it. Vikings were by far the most metal people in history, the more viking metal the better.
17.02.2011 - 11:09
infernalius
It has nothing to do with where you're from ...
It's art, it's music. You can do whatever you want.
17.02.2011 - 16:35
Thunderhead
Written by infernalius on 17.02.2011 at 11:09

It has nothing to do with where you're from ...
It's art, it's music. You can do whatever you want.

I couldn't agree more.
But if it's to talk about folk, or something like that...
I would prefer to talk about folklore off my own country...
But i got to admit, Celtic or Nordic mithologies, are far more interesting than brazilian folklore.
(Brazil has some interesting myths, but there's nothing like a real history conneting all of them)
----
"You may got money, and can buy anything you want. But there's a thing you will never be able to buy. It's a dinossaur!" - Homer J.Simpson