Metal Storm logo
Batushka - Release First Ever Video

Polish orthodox black metal sensation Batushka is pleased to present their first official video for the 6-minute long opus "Ектения́ IV Mилость", now available for streaming down below. The track is taken from the band's debut album, Litourgiya, released back in December, 2015. The video clip was directed and animated by Zev Deans of Panorama Programming.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Batushka
Posted: 16.10.2016 by Paz

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 20   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 176 users
16.10.2016 - 15:34
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Black metal sensation Nice stuff though.
16.10.2016 - 15:44
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 16.10.2016 at 15:34

Black metal sensation

Well, it is indeed quite a sensation, considering the hypes on ms and ma as samples
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
16.10.2016 - 17:46
Malignar

Good Stuff. Wish they would throw in a riff or two more instead of the constant melodic tremolo picking. Atmosphere is nice but can only take you so far.
16.10.2016 - 19:07
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Guest on 16.10.2016 at 15:34

Black metal sensation

Yes. The hype for this band is strong... For example, look at their limited woodbox prices on Discogs Thankfully, I am a happy owner of it.
16.10.2016 - 19:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This band came out of nowhere, ended up on a bunch of end of year lists, appears to constantly be in the best selling part of Bandcamp and headlines small festivals. They're the very definition of a "sensation" within the context of black metal.
17.10.2016 - 03:15
Electes

Written by Guest on 16.10.2016 at 19:11

This band came out of nowhere, ended up on a bunch of end of year lists, appears to constantly be in the best selling part of Bandcamp and headlines small festivals. They're the very definition of a "sensation" within the context of black metal.

Strange that they've become such a sensation too, in my opinion. The music isn't particularly groundbreaking, nor even all that interesting. It got me on first listen, but past that the whole sound really fades and falls flat.

~

I also find their live presentation kinda lame. There's something about using Christian symbolism as they do that just doesn't work. I think if you're going to go with an anti-Christian theme, then it should look like its own kind of ceremony. Watain does this pretty well, for instance. But for these guys, it feels so amateurish and forced seeing them in corny robes with Christian iconography floating around. If they're going to scrub out the face of Jesus on some 14th century fresco in the hopes that they've properly conformed to some Satanic hipster aesthetic, then I can't help but laugh. It's even stranger that so many people love this band's theme, given the fact that so many metallers are decidedly anti-religion and awkwardly angsty about it, as well. *shrug* I dunno, it just makes no sense to me that an old school Antestor show, say, felt more foreboding and intimidating than a show from a band like Batushka who's trying really, really hard to be edgy.
17.10.2016 - 10:48
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 10:33

Also good luck ever finding this video w/o the link lol

Heh, what do you mean by that?
17.10.2016 - 13:20
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Electes on 17.10.2016 at 03:15

I also find their live presentation kinda lame. There's something about using Christian symbolism as they do that just doesn't work. I think if you're going to go with an anti-Christian theme, then it should look like its own kind of ceremony. Watain does this pretty well, for instance. But for these guys, it feels so amateurish and forced seeing them in corny robes with Christian iconography floating around. If they're going to scrub out the face of Jesus on some 14th century fresco in the hopes that they've properly conformed to some Satanic hipster aesthetic, then I can't help but laugh. It's even stranger that so many people love this band's theme, given the fact that so many metallers are decidedly anti-religion and awkwardly angsty about it, as well. *shrug* I dunno, it just makes no sense to me that an old school Antestor show, say, felt more foreboding and intimidating than a show from a band like Batushka who's trying really, really hard to be edgy.

Are Batushka really anti-christian or satanic? I have my doubts. Checking interviews and lyrics give no indication of being so anyway... I think it's quite clear they play on that ambivalence, which I find quite interesting (or at least more than "Hail Seitaaan!" Watain-style). And in a way, it's not much different than Cult Of Fire with their Hindu deities imagery & lyrics.

But have to agree that they got way too popular. They did exploit to perfection big trends: Polish BM (latest hit in the underground with Mgla, etc...) + mysterious robes without revealing identities (hmmm, Ghost?). People become ape shit with this nowadays.

I really like the music though
17.10.2016 - 14:08
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by Guest on 17.10.2016 at 13:15

It's hard to find foreign titled videos on youtube.

I'm dumb. And yeah, it is truly impossible

Also, Vomb is telling the truth, you know...
17.10.2016 - 19:38
Electes

Written by Vombatus on 17.10.2016 at 13:20

Are Batushka really anti-christian or satanic? I have my doubts. Checking interviews and lyrics give no indication of being so anyway... I think it's quite clear they play on that ambivalence, which I find quite interesting (or at least more than "Hail Seitaaan!" Watain-style). And in a way, it's not much different than Cult Of Fire with their Hindu deities imagery & lyrics.

But have to agree that they got way too popular. They did exploit to perfection big trends: Polish BM (latest hit in the underground with Mgla, etc...) + mysterious robes without revealing identities (hmmm, Ghost?). People become ape shit with this nowadays.

I really like the music though

Mmm, in a country like Poland, you can't really use Christianity as "just a theme" like Cult of Fire does with Hindu stuff. Christianity is inseparable from Polish culture (much to the chagrin of many people), so I'm suspicious. To me, they're either Christian or anti-Christian. They lose on both accounts, if that's the case.
17.10.2016 - 20:29
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Electes on 17.10.2016 at 19:38

Mmm, in a country like Poland, you can't really use Christianity as "just a theme" like Cult of Fire does with Hindu stuff. Christianity is inseparable from Polish culture (much to the chagrin of many people), so I'm suspicious. To me, they're either Christian or anti-Christian. They lose on both accounts, if that's the case.

Dunno why a band has to position themselves just because religion is deeply rooted in their culture. It's not like they have to choose sides
They can be both or none, as stated in their interviews:

BATUSHKA as a band has a tricky blasphemous undertone. Are you following the researches of the people inspecting your texts and visuals? And what would you say to these people?

Let them think what they want. Everything that I wanted to tell is in the music, in the lyrics and in the cover art. The listeners must figure everything out by themselves.

or

Some interpret as blasphemy, some don't. Let them think what they want. I like their uncertainty of whether I can confirm their theory or I cannot.

I guess everyone's opinion is valid, in a way.
17.10.2016 - 22:20
roeder

Written by Vombatus on 17.10.2016 at 20:29

Dunno why a band has to position themselves just because religion is deeply rooted in their culture. It's not like they have to choose sides

BATUSHKA as a band has a tricky blasphemous undertone. Are you following the researches of the people inspecting your texts and visuals? And what would you say to these people?

Let them think what they want. Everything that I wanted to tell is in the music, in the lyrics and in the cover art. The listeners must figure everything out by themselves.

or

Some interpret as blasphemy, some don't. Let them think what they want. I like their uncertainty of whether I can confirm their theory or I cannot.

Since their previous band was clearly anti-christian there should be little doubt about their intentions with Batushka.
17.10.2016 - 22:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by roeder on 17.10.2016 at 22:20

Written by Vombatus on 17.10.2016 at 20:29

or

Since their previous band was clearly anti-christian there should be little doubt about their intentions with Batushka.

So you know who is in the band? I can't find it anywhere. Please tell us what bands they were in snd who they are.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.10.2016 - 22:40
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
They were members of Hermh, I believe.

Some Polish magazines proclaim such rumors... Noise Magazine for instance.
17.10.2016 - 22:46
roeder

Paz is correct. The vocalist of Batushka is Bart Krysiuk from Hermh. No idea about the other members, but i suspect some of them played in the same band.
17.10.2016 - 23:09
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by roeder on 17.10.2016 at 22:46

The vocalist of Batushka is Bart Krysiuk from Hermh.

This pic says it all

17.10.2016 - 23:20
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw

The music isn't particularly groundbreaking, nor even all that interesting. It got me on first listen, but past that the whole sound really fades and falls flat.

My feelings, as well. On first listen, I was like "damn, this is amazing", but after a few more listens I was like "oh wait, this is okay but nothing mind-blowing."

I wonder why that is? Might be due to the fact that I listen to a lot of new music while working, so I don't always end up paying that much attention to what I'm listening to, but I'm not exactly sure.
----
17.10.2016 - 23:25
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by roeder on 17.10.2016 at 22:20

Hermh and Batushka are different bands. If Batushka wants to have an intentionally ambiguous stance, I think there are doubts about their intentions because they said so. Not much to look into.
18.10.2016 - 06:33
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Paz on 16.10.2016 at 19:07

Yes. The hype for this band is strong... For example, look at their limited woodbox prices on Discogs Thankfully, I am a happy owner of it.

Those are fucking gorgeous. I like the CD/cassette wooden box even more, but it seems that package is not available at all right now.
18.10.2016 - 08:18
Paz
Nuclear Cowboy
Written by 3rdWorld on 18.10.2016 at 06:33

Those are fucking gorgeous. I like the CD/cassette wooden box even more, but it seems that package is not available at all right now.

Pure madness These limited products are selling like hot cakes. I preordered mine one month before its release date.

Hits total: 10600 | This month: 6