Metal Storm logo
New metal guitar companies

07.04.2007 - 17:47
Soliloquy

sure, you would say 'who needs a new company when Jackson is there?' or 'jackons are the best, fuck the rest!'

sure. but now that jackson is sold to fender, and their quality has droped(but that can be a good thing. coz of that, we get their X-series!!!)

and ibanez have been around for a while, and they can be pretty expensive.

so who you guys gonna turn to?

i was just looking into some companies like ESP, Dean and Halo, and i'm kinda impressed. mostly coz of their low prices. granted, they have the higher end guitars comming in at well over a thousand bucks. so, do you guys know any other companies that arent ibanez and jackson? and other than ESP, Dean, and Halo

and yeah, dean may ring a bell coz of dimebag darel, and ESP coz of Alexi Laiho and kirk hammet/james hetfield. but what of Halo guitars?

hare, take a look:
http://haloguitars.com/instruments.html

they are fairly cheap considering their unique and different bodies.

their is also that Abstract Guitars company. their body blanks are cheap at about 300 bucks, yet their fully made gutiars are in at 4000!

here's abstract guitars:
http://www.abstractguitars.com/models.htm

and peavey is comming out with their Rotor, V-type, and their Vortex EX. but their highe rend Rotor and their V-types are comming in at about 1500 bucks.

and Cort introdueced their EVL and their X- series. but thats about it

any others? and why am i asking? i'm bored, and i'm thinking of making another gutiar that would look like Jackson RR24 with 2 pickups. but if i see soemthing better than that guitar, then i'd be making that instead.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
10.04.2007 - 12:58
Alex Smith

Very interesting...
10.04.2007 - 13:03
Alex Smith

Soliloquy, maybe you can answer my question... I wanna paint my electric guitar, but I heard, that the sound will be changed after paintin'. What can you say about it?
10.04.2007 - 17:21
Soliloquy

Written by Alex Smith on 10.04.2007 at 13:03

Soliloquy, maybe you can answer my question... I wanna paint my electric guitar, but I heard, that the sound will be changed after paintin'. What can you say about it?

that doesnt make sense...unless you are using paint that is using mercury, or some other metal that will act as a condoctor and carry the electric stuff all over the body, thus, messing up the sound, and making everything sound like NOISE.

the only way you would be able to change your sound is if you dont install those things exactly they way you pulled em off. i mean, putting back the bridge(good luck with a floyd rose), the pickups, the knobs, the neck and everything...

what guitar do you have? and what paint are you planning to slap on her? and are you sure you want to get it painted? coz it would require you to sand your guitar down using a sand paper or som file or something.
----

-Zakk Wylde
10.04.2007 - 20:46
Alex Smith

It's a self-made guitar - I bought it for 40$. I'm not a guitarist, my position in the band is vocal. Sometimes I add keyboards to the music, but all other instruments I can play are just a hobby. I sent you my guitars photos to your e-mail.
11.04.2007 - 02:57
Soliloquy

yeah, i was just looking at the pictures. humm, i think you painted over a finished guitar. i mean, the body may have had a clear coat over it, and you painted on top of that? in order to fix that, take off all your strings, your humbucker, your electronics, and your neck, if that guitar is a bolt on. if its not, then sorry, i wont be of much help in that department. i always wondered how you paint a neckthru neck.

but if its a bolt on, grab a few different kinds of sand paper. i'm not exactly sure what grid would work best, but you need to strip the entire guitar down until you can see the wood. and also, if you have a few dents here and there(which i can see towards the low E string, on the body) then sand it down until the entir body is smooth, scratch and dent free. then apply it withsome primer...wait...

depends on what kind of wood you have as well. you know what, its best to go here:

www.guitars101.com

just make a thread about how to paint your guitar, and those guys would be more than willing to help you out.

good luck, dude
----

-Zakk Wylde
11.04.2007 - 13:24
Alex Smith

Thanks, man!
06.07.2008 - 03:57
MortalTheory
Account deleted
i'm still in to classic metal guitars. this still is very interesting
16.07.2008 - 23:40
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
comparison guitars, a relatively new company, produces pretty epic metal guitars i hear.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
17.07.2008 - 03:38
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
anyone ever hear of Lagoon guitar? Pretty intresting stuff.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
18.07.2008 - 00:52
Remus

Written by LeChron James on 16.07.2008 at 23:40

comparison guitars, a relatively new company, produces pretty epic metal guitars i hear.

Not comparison but Caparison

Their website: http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-top.html

I think they're japanese. They make Chris Amott's (from Arch Enemy) custom guitar.
It has a really hot nose, the "devil's tale" or was it the "devil's tail" - whatever the guitar looks hot.
Don't know about the specs though.
----
Procrastinate, NOW!
18.07.2008 - 00:58
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Remus on 18.07.2008 at 00:52

Written by LeChron James on 16.07.2008 at 23:40

Not comparison but Caparison

Their website: http://www.kyowashokai.co.jp/caparison-eng/e-top.html

I think they're japanese. They make Chris Amott's (from Arch Enemy) custom guitar.
It has a really hot nose, the "devil's tale" or was it the "devil's tail" - whatever the guitar looks hot.
Don't know about the specs though.

well i'll be damned. thank you for correcting me. and my friend has a seven string guitar made by them, he says its pretty good, and i believe him, seeing as how the thing cost 2 or 3 grand. he had it stolen recently but found it after awhile, fortunately for him.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
22.07.2008 - 03:06
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Fucking Fender bought Jackson? That is really shitty, I don't know why but I've always held a strong hatred for Fender.

Halo guitars looked a bit cheesy in my opinion, and perhaps I'm relying too much on name brands but I didn't notice any of the more prominent pick-up companies being on their guitars.
The custom guitar company was interesting, too out there for my taste and their price guide list is really expensive. Caparison seemed alright, the style wasn't over the top and they use well known pick up brands.

I like a more subtle style to guitars, the most extreme look I can appreciate is Jackson but I'm not a big Jackson fan. I think I've only ever played one Jackson and it's a Jackson Dinky that my college left in my studio, it's nice and light and the action is really smooth. I've always liked Ibanez just because they make good quality guitars and offer some nice simple styles, their flying V looks like one of the nicest styled V's I've ever seen. I like ESP guitars as well, fairly priced and they do play quite well, for high $300's to mid $400's you can get a quality guitar.

My new favourite company though is Schecter, I imagine they've been around for a while but I only found out about them roughly 8 or so months ago. Their artist list is about 60% shit and 40% so-so/good, not that such a thing really matters, but it's only a matter of time before a bunch of whiney emo kids are crying to their parents about how they want a Schecter guitar to mimick their favourite emo band.

Schecter uses some really awsome finishes, the quality is pretty damn good too and it sounds/plays great. Cost seems to vary from $300ish to alot, I picked mine up for $700 USD which was a ton to me, but it was well worth it, and as I've probably mentioned I got my wife a Schecter Damien FR ($400) and both guitars are great.