Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

29.01.2017 - 07:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Lol, I usually don't post it here for the featured bands. Its better to do it in the album thread directly which I've already did.

Also, looks like Mories removed the earlier mix and uploaded a new untitled Cloak of Altering track. This is the least electronic sounding COA track I've ever heard.

29.01.2017 - 12:57
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 29.01.2017 at 07:14

^Lol, I usually don't post it here for the featured bands. Its better to do it in the album thread directly which I've already did.

And all of 6 users saw it, yourself included. Much better to post it here as people actually visit this thread, and people that don't know about Lantern aren't likely to go to the album thread
29.01.2017 - 13:01
Paz
Elite
That Lantern track has been online for about 5 months now

http://www.metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=29819
29.01.2017 - 15:30
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
"Epic" black metal in veins of Summoning, for those who like it. Although I'm pretty sure most of you don't...

Muireterium - Instrospection
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
30.01.2017 - 20:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Truly epic and incredibly well written instrumental progressive metal from Florida, Trumpland. Prog fans should have a field day with this one.

Redshift Void - Traversing In All Directions

30.01.2017 - 22:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Great artwork. Deserves a better font though than some generic one you can find on Word.
31.01.2017 - 20:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fantastically fun hardcore / punk rock. Lots of pent up energy blasted into your face.

31.01.2017 - 23:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Non yawn-inducing melodic death metal. Vocals are a bit iffy considering they are mostly shouts/scream type. Truly fresh sounding and has some really cool soloing and melodies though.

Dreaming Dead - Funeral Twilight

01.02.2017 - 13:33
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Oh would you look at the new Antiquus Scriptum =)

Antiquus Scriptum - Imaginarium
----
- Reimu Hakurei
01.02.2017 - 17:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by 3rdWorld on 23.12.2016 at 17:34

"100% DIY one-man death-doom destruction straight from the fucking kingdom of the dead. Belgium's Gateway plays sepulchral and bestial death-doom that will rot your mind and batter your flesh. A literal "gateway" to the underworld materialized through a comatose and rotting funeral march deep down into bowels of hades, Gateway's rotting music is an unforgettable sonic stampede delivered through a slow-motion crawl of colossal and mummified death metal riffs that will trample over the listener with the force of a behemoth unleashed from the most slime-ridden crevices of hell. An authentic triumph of rotting riff worship for fans of death-doom legends like Disembowelment, Undergang, Coffins, Winter and Thorr's Hammer."

Another underground monster from the awesome cassette label Sentient Ruin Laboratories, USA.

Gateway - Scriptures Of Grief

This monster streaming in full now.

Gateway - Scriptures Of Grief

01.02.2017 - 17:59
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Lots of different underground artists in this free sampler I put together.
https://metaltrenches.bandcamp.com/releases
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
01.02.2017 - 18:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Project Omega and Bestia Arcana albums now listenable in full. High quality modern black metal.

Intriguing, somewhat lo-fi black metal. Very dynamic songwriting and has a kind of medieval vibe to it.

This actually came out at the end of last year, but here it is anyway. Gritty, instrumental avant-garde metal. Very cool.

Doom punk! Nice mixture of approaches here.

New Junius record upcoming. Tbh I haven't really followed them as I still pine for more of their debut EP, but I guess a lot of people like them.

Dissonant, abrasive deathgrind. Very nice.

Obviously Deathspell-inspired deathy black metal. That would often be a slur these days but this actually sounds kind of incredible.

Fun, grooving and galloping death metal very reminiscent of oldschool Bloodbath.

Serviceable, razor sharp Swedish style death metal... from Sweden.

01.02.2017 - 18:37
mz
I'm loving this new BA even more than the last one. Great approach to BM.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.02.2017 - 21:42
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.12.2016 at 23:50

According to their Facebook, Mosaic are turning their 2014 EP into a full length next year, en extra 32 minutes of material. The EP actually sounds great; they seem very forthright about describing it as experimental black metal, which while might not be true, it's super high quality and mixed heavily with ambient and neofolk components and dripping with atmosphere. The EP art is way cooler though.

Mosaic - Old Man's Wyntar
Track from the new chapter here

The full album streams at their bandcamp. Sounds very interesting.
01.02.2017 - 23:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 01.02.2017 at 21:42

The full album streams at their bandcamp. Sounds very interesting.

Nice, yet another one to catch up on.
01.02.2017 - 23:09
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.12.2016 at 17:38

Icelandic black metal, thankfully not a DsO clone! Technical, and songs shift and morph quite a bit to the point where I would be tempted to call it prog black, but without the prog meandering. Quite good. Album art is familiar which means it might have been posted elsewhere.

Draugsol sounds awesome and the search function to see if something has been posted before is
02.02.2017 - 03:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Imperceptum are back with another full length. Cosmic, blackened funeral doom. Really enormous and atmospheric sound.

Quality second wave black metal. I really dig the available song, the finishing couple of minutes especially.

02.02.2017 - 16:01
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New thing coming out on Profound Lore. Can't be too certain of the songwriting, but it's one of the heaviest and densest death doom things I've heard in a while.

02.02.2017 - 17:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 02.02.2017 at 16:01

New thing coming out on Profound Lore. Can't be too certain of the songwriting, but it's one of the heaviest and densest death doom things I've heard in a while.

Nice, about time for a new album. Really enjoyed "The Viper Slithers in the Ashes of What Remains" immensely. At times that album somehow reminded of WInter due to the nastiness.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

02.02.2017 - 18:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Yeah that last Fuoco Fatuo shit was on my target as its also released by Caligari records on tape and had a pretty mouthful title. Nice to see new stuff from them.
02.02.2017 - 22:18
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Avant-garde drone / noise / metal / something from Gates now listenable in full. Difficult to swallow experimentalism.

03.02.2017 - 21:07
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
It sounds exactly like the cover art

Szarfaszú Vizelet - Tapirlandia
----
- Reimu Hakurei
03.02.2017 - 23:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Awesome quality death metal. Massive punchy and old school sound, frantic, thrashy playing, nice soloing and super great and fun songs.

Some of the best DSBM I've heard in a while. The sound is just so rich and all encompassing. The vocals are off the scale as well; it gives Aaskereia a run for its money in terms of high pitch shriekiness. In fact this is one of the best things I've heard this year full stop. Incredible stuff.

Wild, adventurous post-hardcore. Amazing amount of approaches and instrumental exploration here.

04.02.2017 - 00:12
Maco
Pvt Funderground
According to discogs and metal archives the Cancer EP was released in October from last year.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
04.02.2017 - 00:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
According to discogs and metal archives you can all suck my wang.
04.02.2017 - 00:28
3rdWorld
China was a neat
According to discogs and metal archives Kate Upton is my wife.
04.02.2017 - 03:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 03.02.2017 at 23:23

Some of the best DSBM I've heard in a while. The sound is just so rich and all encompassing. The vocals are off the scale as well; it gives Aaskereia a run for its money in terms of high pitch shriekiness. In fact this is one of the best things I've heard this year full stop. Incredible stuff.

I completely gave up on the genre, stopped looking into new bands and even stopped listening to old stuff.
But this .... I don't even know man, this is a curve ball that smashed me right in the fucking face.
Brilliant!
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
04.02.2017 - 03:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 04.02.2017 at 03:19

I completely gave up on the genre, stopped looking into new bands and even stopped listening to old stuff.
But this .... I don't even know man, this is a curve ball that smashed me right in the fucking face.
Brilliant!

Yeah I'm really glad I didn't overlook it due to the unremarkable cover. Musically it just gets everything right. Even the drumming seems far above average.
04.02.2017 - 12:30
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Death/black metal from US on tape. Love that cobwebby logo.

Funeral Chant - Funeral Chant

Great artwork but sad that the music is barely decent. Looks like it boasts the members of Tsjuder, Horna, Behexen and Nordjevel though.

Doedsvangr - Satan Ov Suns

04.02.2017 - 13:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Rather nice occult traditional doom.

High quality atmospheric and dynamic stoner sludge doom. Much more varied than the average band from this genre.

More doom, this time with a Saint Vitus and thrashy vibe. Old school.

Wicked fun desert metal / punk.