Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

10.04.2017 - 21:43
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by ZÖN on 10.04.2017 at 05:06

Anyone find my new release? All over a lotta blogs https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/album/well-of-sacrifice

It's far and away my best one IMO. Still prominent avant prog elements, but here I took the metal up a notch with longer and less turbulent passages of shredding BM. A lot of the folk is replaced with psych rock suites and stuff like that

Woah, man. This keeps getting better and better
I wish your band got more recognition here, really

A noob question: That hammond organ-like sound is an actual hammond organ? Or are you using some kind of software?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
10.04.2017 - 23:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 3rdWorld on 10.04.2017 at 20:02

Very thick sounding blackened death from Germany.

There's a new album by Hellwell as well, the side project of Mark Shelton from Manilla Road. Progressive Power/Heavy with some epic soloing moments. Nice art from Paolo Girardi as well.

Third outing from Sweden's Trial. Really well done swedish melodic heavy metal. No non-sense and loads of fun.

Ridiculously playful and cheery instrumental stoner fun.

Really good post/doom metal from Norway.

Dwaal - Darben

Another heavier and more abrasive post/doom band. From Australia.

Adrift For Days - A Sleepless Grey

Doomgrind from USA on the awesome Sentient Ruin Laboratories label.

"Pitch-black, discordant, and swarming avantgarde blackened doom metal spawned by the minds of Calgary, Alberta-based musicians Robert LaChance (guitarist of Canadian dark grind devastators WAKE), Will Bjorndahl, and Ryan Kennedy (of Calgary-based avantgarde grind anomaly Seminary). Mind Mold's debut self-titled EP is a morbid study, excavation, and rupturing re-incarnation of 90's noise rock, shoegaze, hardcore, and experimental metal, embodied as five tracks of mind-shattering and flesh-ravaging blackened doom - plagued by oozing striations of noise rock, industrial, and the darkest strains of hardcore. A dark and hopeless descent into total crush depth where the aesthetics and primordial intents of bands like Neurosis, Red Harvest, Blut Aus Nord, Today Is The Day, Rorschach, Jesu/Godflesh, and Swans coexist in majestic and torturous harmony."

Mind Mold - Mind Mold

Some obscure blackened doom. Kinda solid stuff. Might be a lovecraftian spin-off judging by the title.

Loathfinder - The Great Tired Ones

A blackened/death thrash album from Australia's Contaminated. Their debut and its on Blood Harvest so you can get an idea what the quality is going to be.

Contaminated - Final Man

And this. Well, this is sludge but with overtly obvious influences from Black/death. Pretty rad and massively heavy shit.

Mursa - Ectopic

How did you able to link all this up without even..."previewing"?!

or

Do you get the option of preview before posting?
11.04.2017 - 00:07
Jonjy
Written by Candlemass on 06.04.2017 at 22:40

Not a new album, but a new track by Caelesteus and its freaking awesome!

11.04.2017 - 02:38
ZÖN
Written by Karlabos on 10.04.2017 at 21:43

Written by ZÖN on 10.04.2017 at 05:06

Anyone find my new release? All over a lotta blogs https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/album/well-of-sacrifice

It's far and away my best one IMO. Still prominent avant prog elements, but here I took the metal up a notch with longer and less turbulent passages of shredding BM. A lot of the folk is replaced with psych rock suites and stuff like that

Woah, man. This keeps getting better and better
I wish your band got more recognition here, really

A noob question: That hammond organ-like sound is an actual hammond organ? Or are you using some kind of software?

it's samples of real organs, so I guess both
----
http://www.last.fm/user/templeruins

https://ququmatz.bandcamp.com/releases Progressive/experimental black metal
https://znmusic.bandcamp.com/ Avant-garde drone metal, ambient, noise
https://noosefiller.bandcamp.com/ Experimental raw black metal/noise
11.04.2017 - 07:06
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.04.2017 at 23:17
at Tired Ones
How did you able to link all this up without even..."previewing"?!

or

Do you get the option of preview before posting?

Yeah there's no previewing for anyone, only have to make the tags properly to make the linking.
11.04.2017 - 07:07
3rdWorld
China was a neat
And a BUMP for my post with some additional recs.

There's a new album by Hellwell as well, the side project of Mark Shelton from Manilla Road. Progressive Power/Heavy with some epic soloing moments. Nice art from Paolo Girardi as well.

Third outing from Sweden's Trial. Really well done swedish melodic heavy metal. No non-sense and loads of fun.

Ridiculously playful and cheery instrumental stoner fun.

Really good post/doom metal from Norway.

Dwaal - Darben

Another heavier and more abrasive post/doom band. From Australia.

Adrift For Days - A Sleepless Grey

Doomgrind from USA on the awesome Sentient Ruin Laboratories label.

"Pitch-black, discordant, and swarming avantgarde blackened doom metal spawned by the minds of Calgary, Alberta-based musicians Robert LaChance (guitarist of Canadian dark grind devastators WAKE), Will Bjorndahl, and Ryan Kennedy (of Calgary-based avantgarde grind anomaly Seminary). Mind Mold's debut self-titled EP is a morbid study, excavation, and rupturing re-incarnation of 90's noise rock, shoegaze, hardcore, and experimental metal, embodied as five tracks of mind-shattering and flesh-ravaging blackened doom - plagued by oozing striations of noise rock, industrial, and the darkest strains of hardcore. A dark and hopeless descent into total crush depth where the aesthetics and primordial intents of bands like Neurosis, Red Harvest, Blut Aus Nord, Today Is The Day, Rorschach, Jesu/Godflesh, and Swans coexist in majestic and torturous harmony."

Mind Mold - Mind Mold

Some obscure blackened doom. Kinda solid stuff. Might be a lovecraftian spin-off judging by the title.

Loathfinder - The Great Tired Ones

A blackened/death thrash album from Australia's Contaminated. Their debut and its on Blood Harvest so you can get an idea what the quality is going to be.

Contaminated - Final Man

And this. Well, this is sludge but with overtly obvious influences from Black/death. Pretty rad and massively heavy shit.

Mursa - Ectopic

Sweden's Saturn has a new album coming out on Rise Above Records. So yeah, retro blues inspired rock at its finest. Fucking cool ass cover by Maldo Illustration, reminds me very much of the covers of Image Comics.

Oakland's Necrot serves up their debut after three demos and a compilation last year. Modern death metal with undeniably old school aesthetics. And also its on the sublime tape label Sentient Ruin Laboratories.
12.04.2017 - 04:16
Vombatus
Potorro
12.04.2017 - 06:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Upcoming old school thrash on Hells Headbangers from this New Jersey band, their first in nearly two decades.

Blood Feast - The Future State Of Wicked

Relentlessly heavy and furious black metal from Spain on the likes of Behemoth, Azarath etc.

Atrexial - Souverain

New Triumvir Foul track "Serpentine Seed" streaming now.

Triumvir Foul - Spiritual Bloodshed

Post-punk/heavy metal album from Caligari records.

Rope Sect - Personae Ingratae

Chilean black thrash album. Very raw and punk-ish sound. MA says its a 2016 release on a different label but will just post it here for more exposure as I there aren't many links or stream from 2016.

Invocation Spells - The Flame Of Hate

Another death metal demo from Blood Harvest from this new band Desekryptor from US.

"BLOOD HARVEST is proud to present DESEKRYPTOR's second recording, Chasm of Rot, on cassette tape. DESEKRYPTOR are a power-trio hailing from Indiana, in the United States, and soon after forming recorded a debut demo entitled Demo 2016. Striking while the iron's hot, DESEKYRPTOR unleash the fittingly titled Chasm of Rot! Five songs totaling 18 ugly 'n' unholy minutes, Chasm of Rot is a pustulent plunge deep into the bowels of a nameless hell. Grinding and gangrenous, DESEKRYPTOR's death metal is an overwhelmingly gutted one, gestating in a doomed-out state before burling and blasting forth ever downward, the atmosphere becoming more blackened the deeper the abyss gets. And for a supposed "demo," Chasm of Rot features exquisitely massive and miasmic production, ably amplifying the nethermost regions this recording explores. Herald the arrival of DESEKRYPTOR with Chasm of Rot! "

Desekryptor - Chasm Of Rot

And the stoner/classic heavy metal record from Demon Head through Caligari records is streaming in full now as well. This is quite a relaxing, chill and fun listen.

Demon Head - Thunder On The Fields

12.04.2017 - 11:17
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.04.2017 at 06:03

[/center][/url]

That logo like structure you mostly found in uncleaned rooms of Indian homes.
12.04.2017 - 14:02
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.04.2017 at 06:03

Chilean black thrash album. Very raw and punk-ish sound. MA says its a 2016 release on a different label but will just post it here for more exposure as I there aren't many links or stream from 2016.

Invocation Spells - The Flame Of Hate

And the stoner/classic heavy metal record from Demon Head through Caligari records is streaming in full now as well. This is quite a relaxing, chill and fun listen.

Demon Head - Thunder On The Fields

Thanks.
12.04.2017 - 21:47
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Epic melodic black metal with nice medieval flavoured riffs and melodies. Debut album of these guys from Denmark.

Orm - Orm

Atmospheric black/doom metal from Germany with obvious themes you can guess from the title. Not totally original or outstanding but a decent listen.

Hexer - Cosmic Doom Ritual

19.04.2017 - 01:22
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
More people seriously need to check out this Sielunvihollinen album. It's basically just a melodic black metal album with lots of Dissection influence, albeit a tad more "black 'n roll" sounding, but goddamn is the songwriting phenomenal. Quickly becoming one of my favorite and most visited albums of the year.

21.04.2017 - 03:19
Ashes of Purgatory just released their second album Manic! Check these guys out!

Purchase here:
[MEDIA=bandcamp]album_id=3073242971[/MEDIA]

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/ashesofpurgatory/

Youtube:
[MEDIA=youtube]XwHgXNxZTO0[/MEDIA]
21.04.2017 - 17:39
mz
Amazing blackend drone, wth great diversity and enogh details. Feels a bit depressive at some points.

Common Eider, King Eider-Shrines for the Unwanted, Respite for the Cast Aside

----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
21.04.2017 - 18:14
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by mz on 21.04.2017 at 17:39

Amazing blackend drone, wth great diversity and enogh details. Feels a bit depressive at some points.

Common Eider, King Eider-Shrines for the Unwanted, Respite for the Cast Aside

Better late than never
21.04.2017 - 20:54
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 12.04.2017 at 21:47

Atmospheric black/doom metal from Germany with obvious themes you can guess from the title. Not totally original or outstanding but a decent listen.

Hexer - Cosmic Doom Ritual

Sounds like a stoner band thats slowed their stuff down. Works quite well. Not sure about the post-rock though.
21.04.2017 - 21:09
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Ive been a bit lazy here, I just stick stuff in my list. But this is something I like a lot. Finnish raw, but dont fool yourself and think its standard. It brings something fresh. The 2016 release is better though.

Celestial Grave - Pvtrefactio

Celestial Grave - Burial Ground Trance

22.04.2017 - 21:27
mz
So Jason Walton, ex-agalloch has a very weird project, and there is a track from that. It is really hard to describe, and you need to try it yourself. really like it

----
22.04.2017 - 23:48
3rdWorld
China was a neat
I hear a slight noise elements with electronic jazz. Not that hard to describe haha but indeed quite interesting.
27.04.2017 - 01:43
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 22.01.2017 at 16:33

Written by 3rdWorld on 04.01.2017 at 20:38

New black/death metal thing on Invictus Productions. Sounds quite a bit clean sounding though.

Crurifragium - Beasts Of The Temple of Satan

This album now streaming in full in the bandcamp page.

Crurifragium - Beasts Of The Temple Of Satan

Lovely little piece of devilness and the art is perfect for the music too.
27.04.2017 - 21:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Infernal Vlad from Cult of Fire, Death Karma etc. has put out a heavily gaze sounding solo ep thats nothing like his main projects.

New Death Metal Pope EP. Not as ravaging as last year's and more hard rock sounding but still cool as fuck.

Instrumental Progressive stoner, a good one I've come across in a long time.

Hairless Monk - Journey To The Mushroom Planet

"Instrumental project from South Brazil that converges the aggressive vibes of stoner rock/metal with some lush psychedelia and shoegaze deep relaxing vibes".

The White Flies - The White Flies

Good extreme prog from Prosthetic Records. Vocals are a huge turnoff though.

Exist - So True, So Bound

Great raw and cruncy death metal from this all-female Mexican band. Sounds primitive, raw and brutal as fuck, awesome growls too.

Murderline - Evil Has No Shape

Female fronted noise/psychedelic grunge from France. Borderline metal or not metal at all but still quite an intriguing, colorful and quite an original album. Oh and its insanely bassy at parts, like the last song.

La Chasse - Noir Plus Noir Que Le Noir

Atmospheric post-metal/rock from Mexico. Not the yawn-inducing post- music but rather a bit progressive and exciting.

Release The Long Ships - Holocene

28.04.2017 - 19:34
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Cosmic Dead album out now.

The Cosmic Dead - Psych Is Dead

29.04.2017 - 13:59
mz
Some bouncy, dumb sounding black metal which is actually not that bad:
Crusty Old Toad-Turn People Into Food

finally a gazy black metal with some balls. Really like the Djenty riffs and keys here and there. Good listen:
Maré-Abschied

also some noce atmospheric/ ambient black metal for a change:

Abkehr-In Asche

Great, riff-heavy OSDM with amazing production for this type of music:

fun cyber grind:
GenocideGenerator-III

great sounding percussion heavy blackend drone. If the rest of the album is asa good, this is going to be one of the bests this year:

dsbm meets psych trance. Space and neat.

Mesarthim- Presence (E​.​P​.​)
----
29.04.2017 - 14:00
mz
I guess a lot of these had been posted before , but I dont care
----
30.04.2017 - 14:32
InnerSelf
proofread free
Full Totalitarian album is up on bandcamp (was suggested in the first couple of pages I think).

----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
30.04.2017 - 17:48
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
contributor
I like this shit. You might too.

----
rekt
30.04.2017 - 20:59
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Weirdly noisy and amazing new Mories track under his Cloak Of Altering moniker.

Cloak Of Altering - Dream Of The Sunken Kingdoms of Yesteryear

01.05.2017 - 05:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by 3rdWorld on 30.04.2017 at 20:59

Weirdly noisy and amazing new Mories track under his Cloak Of Altering moniker.

This is pretty interesting, and honestly a welcome improvement from some of the stuff he's been releasing recently.
01.05.2017 - 23:02
Totenlieder
Fatherland, black metal from Finland.
Probably my favorite 2017 release so far,

----
Blut & Krieg
02.05.2017 - 04:18
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New black/death grind from Flenser with heavy hardcore influences. The abominable thrash metal like shouted vocals make it almost unlistenable though.

Succumb - Succumb