Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

01.01.2017 - 23:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This sounds fucking incredible. Rather reminiscent of early Aevangelist but with a heavy black metal leaning.

Black metal from my town! Didn't expect much going in but it turns out it's pretty fucking good. Big, violent and dissonant sound and superb production. Really like it, am legit impressed.

Upcoming Hooded Menace split, so expect death doom goodness. Seems like it's not out despite the date stamp on the Bandcamp page.

02.01.2017 - 01:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
No way you get to discredit me like that Joe :p, of course I filter out stuff as well but I don't try to cater it to a limited number of sickos regularly running around here. Also it's not like you guys check out the good suggestions posted here anyway. And also because Joe ends up posting stuff I filtered out like that unremarkable Nemesis Sopor album few pages back.

Rants aside, that Tchornobog looks awesome. Saw it on Fallen empire records' post on fb. Some really mouthful song titles they have. Love those.
02.01.2017 - 02:43
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:49

Black metal from my town! Didn't expect much going in but it turns out it's pretty fucking good. Big, violent and dissonant sound and superb production. Really like it, am legit impressed.
Auri - The Crown of Doubt[/center]

Yo yo yo this is delicious, love me some straight forward no bullshit DsO Black Metal.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.01.2017 - 08:05
Paz
elite
Written by Guest on 01.01.2017 at 23:49

This sounds fucking incredible. Rather reminiscent of early Aevangelist but with a heavy black metal leaning.

I just noticed that the drums were recorded by Magnús of Svartidauði... That explains why I fricking love it
02.01.2017 - 12:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Good pedigree then

New Voidcraeft EP. Dissonant black metal fans rejoice.

Very good sounding black / drone / noise thing. The album is insanely long however.

Excellent blackened post-metal. Songwriting is really engaging I thought.

Super gritty, filthy blackened death. Noice.

Awesome sounding glacially paced ambient black metal. Really atmospheric. Proof that black metal can be slow and not be doom metal.

02.01.2017 - 12:54
Paz
elite
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 12:46

Very good sounding black / drone / noise thing. The album is insanely long however.

Yhdarl - Antithesis

Omg! This thing is five hours long
02.01.2017 - 12:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 02.01.2017 at 12:54

Omg! This thing is five hours long

And apparently we're meant to do it all in one sitting -_-
02.01.2017 - 12:57
tominator
At best deranged
contributor
Written by 3rdWorld on 01.01.2017 at 04:14

Female fronted stoner doom rock/metal from the Trumpland.

Book Of Wyrms - Sci-fi/Fantasy

I have to say that I definitely like this one. Thanks for the find.
02.01.2017 - 13:02
Paz
elite
Written by Guest on 02.01.2017 at 12:56

And apparently we're meant to do it all in one sitting -_-

No chance. Hahaha

And I thought that Triangle was long...
02.01.2017 - 14:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Follow up to that great Light Of The Morning Star EP last year coming out on Iron Bonehead. Really interesting sounding gothic metal.

02.01.2017 - 15:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
For those who like it: Bassy and microtonal instrumental progressive metal/djent stuff.

Cryptic Ruse - Pineal Algebra
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.01.2017 - 16:34
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 01.01.2017 at 16:12

Nah fuck off, already been over that in last year's thread.

Okay, must have forgotten about that.

I tried to check out most of the stuff in these threads but with the vast amount of recommending of stuff that isn't rec-worthy I lost interest. I can go on Bandcamp myself and take just as long as here to filter out the good stuff.

But back on topic, I see someone already posted the new Light Of The Morning Star track. Great stuff just as their previous EP.
02.01.2017 - 18:12
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Zap on 02.01.2017 at 16:34

Okay, must have forgotten about that.

I tried to check out most of the stuff in these threads but with the vast amount of recommending of stuff that isn't rec-worthy I lost interest. I can go on Bandcamp myself and take just as long as here to filter out the good stuff.

But back on topic, I see someone already posted the new Light Of The Morning Star track. Great stuff just as their previous EP.

You're probably right. I probably should restrict myself more. Sorry if that was rude. But I hate it when Joe has all the fun. He just steals too many good stuff. That's why I drain out new releases from bandcamp sometimes.
02.01.2017 - 18:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Plus it doesn't help that most of new bandcamp releases happen late in the US timings which is pretty far aligned from the timelines here.
02.01.2017 - 18:22
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by tominator on 02.01.2017 at 12:57

I have to say that I definitely like this one. Thanks for the find.

Cheers bruh. Glad you liked it. Stoner is in exquisite form these days. Will definitely post more cool stuff.
02.01.2017 - 18:35
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Instrumental stoner metal from Mexico. Listened to most of it and had some good quality songwriting sustained throughout it. Even had that tasty sounding weird buzzing electronics.

EDIT: Shit, looks like its removed. :/ Will update if I find it anywhere again.
EDIT2: Looks like its made available again once we've reached the original release date. Great!

To make up, here's some death doom with very very rough production. Liking it a lot really. Highly recommended for doom fans. Take note Maco.

Disgusted Geist - Demo

Weirdly good pyschedelic desert rock album with slight stoner influences. The sort of album that perfectly suits a label like Rise above records alongside Blood Ceremony, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats etc.

Mvmnts - Dry Land Is A Myth

02.01.2017 - 23:56
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Something for mz. You should definitely check this out man. Avant-garde-ish Industrial black metal.

YIG - Sigil

03.01.2017 - 00:05
mz
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.01.2017 at 23:56

Something for mz. You should definitely check this out man. Avant-garde-ish Industrial black metal.

[url=https://yigmetal.bandcamp.com/album/sigil][center]YIG - Sigil

tnx man. I dont have a headphone with me atm, but will for sure check it tomorrow.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
03.01.2017 - 11:08
Paz
elite
Written by Zap on 02.01.2017 at 16:34

QFT
03.01.2017 - 22:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Dissonant death/black metal with OTT vocals. Almost an indulgence of extremes. Quite good but not everyone might be able to digest the vocals here. Probably best experience for the novelty or absurdity of it, if nothing else. I would say its strictly for fans of dissonant metal.

Carbon Colossal - The Disassembly of Earth

04.01.2017 - 15:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Debemur Morti offering. Debut album by Au Champ des Morts. Black metally black metal with an ex-member of Anorexia Nervosa in.

Very high quality old school death from the UK. This is the debut album of theirs under this name despite beginning in 1990 (have 2 albums under the name Dominion but I suspect they're a different style).

04.01.2017 - 17:14
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn good doom cover EP, with not only a great artwork but an elegant as fuck band logo too. Really heavy, almost drone-like at times, but having dissonant elements and highly detailed and dense sound despite their cover-nature. Mixed by Mories and Mastered by James Plotkin for some added muscle. They own both covers imo, the Sabbath one in particular.

04.01.2017 - 18:50
Zap
Written by 3rdWorld on 02.01.2017 at 18:12

You're probably right. I probably should restrict myself more. Sorry if that was rude. But I hate it when Joe has all the fun. He just steals too many good stuff. That's why I drain out new releases from bandcamp sometimes.

No worries I understand
04.01.2017 - 20:38
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New black/death metal thing on Invictus Productions. Sounds quite a bit clean sounding though.

Crurifragium - Beasts Of The Temple of Satan

US Stoner doom from Grimoire records.

Blood Mist - Blood Mist

04.01.2017 - 22:47
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Wickedly meaty, groovy and heavy death thrash from Brazil. Breakdown-heavy so has a pretty big metalcore vibe too but in a way that works well I found. The drumming really flows well so it's quite satisfying. Weirdly it reminds me of a super-heavy version of Slipknot at times minus the rap and DJ stuff. Something about the guitar grooves and drums. I really like this a lot.

05.01.2017 - 14:18
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Not sure if I like this or not but it's interesting nonetheless. Somewhere in between stoner, post hardcore and black metal

Demon Goat - Sons Of Gods
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
05.01.2017 - 14:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lol yeah I've been umming and erring about whether to share that or not. I love the art but not sure on the music. It definitely has some good moments on but the black metal parts are a bit flat I thought.
05.01.2017 - 20:04
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Big, heavy sounding post-metal / atmos sludge mastered by Cult of Luna member.

Gloson - Grimen
and another track
05.01.2017 - 23:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
New Oaks of Brothel, for those people who like Oaks of Bethel, and / or their black metal ultra repetitive and hypnotic. On the surface it does seem kind of pants, but playing it in the background it does start to have an oddly pleasant effect on a person. Somewhat reminiscent of Velvet Cacoon.

06.01.2017 - 21:16
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This is actually some really good doom metal, if you can look past that awful cover that is.

" Debut album released January 2017. Dark, Crushing, Doom Metal from Baltimore for fans of Neurosis, Bolt Thrower, Cathedral, Cough, Windhand, Graves At Sea, Dragged Into Sunlight. COMING SOON to Vinyl and Cassette. Stay tuned. "

Destroyer of Man - Descent