Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

13.01.2017 - 16:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Karlabos on 13.01.2017 at 13:47

Some quite accurate AFoS worship. The vocalist sounds just like the same. (might as well actually be the same, didn't check =p)
Ashenspire - Speak Not of the Laudanum Quandary

Awesome, been waiting for this ever since they released this single from it way back in 2015. This should be great.
13.01.2017 - 16:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Super dense, murky and hellish blackened death metal. You'll have to turn your speakers up but you can't fault the atmosphere.

Very nice sounding modern black metal. Quite mid-paced and would undoubtedly suit fans of Schammasch et al.

New Lorn song finally. Their previous album is criminally overlooked so am looking forward to this one. To be honest the new song is seriously lacking in bass but I'm hoping that's down to the soundcloud link.

Massive and gritty sludge doom.

42 songs of what sounds like caustic improv noise-rock and psychedelic jams. Surprisingly good!

New Code Orange album is now fully out. Haven't listened to all of yet but you can probably expect some very good mathy, metallic hardcore laden with dissonant and ambient atmospherics. Sounds great so far.

13.01.2017 - 19:46
3rdWorld
China was a neat
New Acrimonious track.

13.01.2017 - 19:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn sick sounding drone doom. Really excellent sound and having a smattering of dissonance to add that foreboding edge. Dripping with atmosphere. Ends on a somewhat post-rock note so has variety as well.

And more filthy borderline-drone doom super sludge. Crazy low tuned guitars and nasty death-filled vocals. Niiiice.

New Svart Crown track, sounds jolly nice indeed. Might revisit their previous couple of records. Blackened death metal for those unfamiliar with them.

14.01.2017 - 03:01
no one
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 13.01.2017 at 16:41

New Code Orange album is now fully out. Haven't listened to all of yet but you can probably expect some very good mathy, metallic hardcore laden with dissonant and ambient atmospherics. Sounds great so far.

Oooh, been meaning to listen to this. Get my straightedge on!
14.01.2017 - 12:59
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Dissonant lo-fi industrial black with eerie microtonal riffs. Kinda like Jute Gyte if they played industrial black :3

Gelding Moon - Martian Butchery
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
14.01.2017 - 14:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.01.2017 at 03:01

Oooh, been meaning to listen to this. Get my straightedge on!

They took down the Bandcamp link sadly
14.01.2017 - 15:24
3rdWorld
China was a neat
"1st full length album by this band featuring Dave Rotten (AVULSED) on vocals with 9 new songs and a DÉTENTE cover, of an intense and aggressive Thrash Metal for lovers of bands like DARK ANGEL, INFERNÄL MÄJESTY, ATROPHY, CORONER, SACRIFICE, SEPULTURA (beneath)... Cover artwork by Andrei Bouzikov (MUNICIPAL WASTE, SKELETONWITCH, TOXIC HOLOCAUST...)"

Listen and then fucking ask you fucks.

Holycide - Annihilate​.​.​. Then Ask!

14.01.2017 - 15:29
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Sick doomy blackened death metal from NZ. That area seem to excel in that kind of music in recent years.

Neofolk infused doom. Slow, spacious and spiritual atmosphere.

14.01.2017 - 19:30
no one
Account deleted
^ Vesicant .......Wow! No one actually corrected someone else's spelling.
14.01.2017 - 20:26
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.01.2017 at 19:30

^ Vesicant .......Wow! No one actually corrected someone else's spelling.

14.01.2017 - 22:49
Fiendfyre
An album that I imagine those into it would have checked out anyway, but the new Kreator is the best one they have done in a long time!
15.01.2017 - 00:23
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Wow, look at all those huge images
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2017 - 00:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lol yeah. protip: copy pasta the bandcamp album image (can just right click and grab the address from the main page; you don't have to open the image up or anything) then paste the address onto this page: https://postimage.io/web.php. I recommend resizing to the 640 x 480 size but you can do smaller (or bigger if you want). Re-upload, grab the second address then put it on here as normal, removing the "s" from the link, as usual.
15.01.2017 - 00:32
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
A bit too lazy to do that, but will consider doing it from now on.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2017 - 00:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The process only makes it take a few seconds longer. Just have that upload site linked on your bookmarks bar or something.

Some of the enlarged artworks do look good though.
15.01.2017 - 05:25
3rdWorld
China was a neat
^Yes viz. every image I've posted.
15.01.2017 - 06:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Karlabos on 13.01.2017 at 13:47

Some quite accurate AFoS worship. The vocalist sounds just like the same. (might as well actually be the same, didn't check =p)

Ashenspire - Speak Not of the Laudanum Quandary

This is good stuff. Defo reminds me of AFoS.
15.01.2017 - 12:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Blimey, Spain's Orthodox have now gone fully experimental. Now a sprawling avant-garde jazz doom soundscape. Sounds highly improvised to me.

15.01.2017 - 16:20
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Describing themselves as "doomgaze". To be honest it's quite accurate... It has a doom setup but also a bit of gaze feel to it, plus some cheery harcore influence. It's hard to tell whether it is an upbeat or a depressive album

Panacea Enterpainment - Ten Years In Snow And Ashes
----
- Reimu Hakurei
15.01.2017 - 21:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Phat sounding old school death metal. These guys seem to think they're the genuine article whereas others are forgettable. Dunno about that, but there we go. Pretty good anyway.

Very cool piano-oriented black metal. Not just using piano as a background effect it appears to be the primary instrument so in essence Botanist with piano instead of dulcimer.. The effect is very nice. Almost reminds me of a Final Fantasy boss battle as times, sans the vocals.

15.01.2017 - 21:35
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
^ Damn, that was the most intense thing ever
----
- Reimu Hakurei
16.01.2017 - 00:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Very excellent sounding psychedelic doom / post metal. Especially love the vocal style which is quite unique.

16.01.2017 - 06:03
3rdWorld
China was a neat
This album is seven tracks of death metal crafted to tell a story of unknown horror from beyond the universe. The music itself was very carefully written over the past two years, and I can't wait for you to hear the culmination of brutal, technical, and chilling death metal with strong literary influence from Franz Kafka and H.P. Lovecraft.

Hate Inclination - Disease Swept The Cosmos

16.01.2017 - 14:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Lol. it sounds like MIDI death metal.

This fantastic album is now fully streamable. Hypnotic black metal with an almost folk quality in its melodies. Still loving the alien warble that permeates in the background.

16.01.2017 - 17:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Old school melodeath on Xtreme Music.

16.01.2017 - 19:17
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
How's that for an artwork. Seems like this track by track preview of it is back from early 2016 but seems like it's still relevant as it'll finally be out soon. Very nice sounding black metal with members of Akhlys / Nightbringer and Enthroned / Lvcifyre. Out on Dark Descent Records or Daemon Worship Productions. Or both.

16.01.2017 - 19:42
3rdWorld
China was a neat
That In Thousand Lakes is one of my pass overs. Sounded quite lame and uninteresting to me.
16.01.2017 - 19:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You passed over that but not Hate Inclination?

In Thousand Lakes is certainly worth posting due to its old school sound and understated songwriting. I probably won't listen to it further, but it definitely works.
16.01.2017 - 19:55
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Hate Inclination might have a weak sound but it definitely sounded more interesting to me. Oh well.