Metal Storm logo
New Album Recommendations 2017

Original post

Posted by 3rdWorld, 29.11.2016 - 06:23
You know the drill, recommend me good metal stuff from 2017. Remember this is not a playlist or promotion place, it should be stuff you have HEARD ATLEAST ONCE which means it is not just stuff YOU think is good but something that OTHERS should find good and enjoy as well.

Death metal from Portugal. Sounds more closely to Disma than anything else to my ears. Quite melodic and groovy. It's hard to judge anything from a single but yeah this seems like something that is worth keeping an eye on.

The Ominous Circle - Appalling Ascension

19.01.2017 - 23:15
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Metallic hardcore EP from the New york band Xibalba. Looks like a Dan Seagrave cover art. Really good looking.

Xibalba - Diablo, Con Amor​.​. Adios.

20.01.2017 - 18:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Xibalba are good so will be checking that out.

Some doom that isn't sludge or extreme for once, though it does feature more extreme vocals and pretty downtrodden and barren atmosphere. Seems like bands don't go for this type of sound too often these days.

I guess this isn't really metal, but in many ways it reminds me of Elend. Super atmospheric and somewhat dark neo-classical music. That artwork is incredible too, needless to say.

Instrumental, occasionally dissonant black metal. Good lo-fi (but not really) production on this. Nice atmosphere. Interestingly it has the same artwork as last year's excellent Virus-clone band Eldjudnir.

Lo-fi atmos black. Production gives this a lease of life that the average atmos black band doesn't. Nice dense sound, especially with those distant wails.

20.01.2017 - 19:15
mz

Written by Guest on 20.01.2017 at 18:41

I guess this isn't really metal, but in many ways it reminds me of Elend. Super atmospheric and somewhat dark neo-classical music. That artwork is incredible too, needless to say.

only if it did nit have those silly vocals.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
20.01.2017 - 19:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 20.01.2017 at 19:15

only if it did nit have those silly vocals.

I don't hate them, and I guess he was going for the "black metal" feel with them, but the music would have been fine without them.
21.01.2017 - 17:05
Death od Licinius II is a Prog, Blackish Metal from New York. Just released their debut EP

https://deathoflicinius.bandcamp.com/album/welcome-to-the-war

22.01.2017 - 16:33
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by 3rdWorld on 04.01.2017 at 20:38

New black/death metal thing on Invictus Productions. Sounds quite a bit clean sounding though.

Crurifragium - Beasts Of The Temple of Satan

This album now streaming in full in the bandcamp page.

Crurifragium - Beasts Of The Temple Of Satan

22.01.2017 - 17:02
mz

Am I the only one who thinks that the lion is extremely stupid on that cover?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
22.01.2017 - 20:00
Zap
Written by mz on 22.01.2017 at 17:02

Am I the only one who thinks that the lion is extremely stupid on that cover?

Yeah, I'm not a fan either
23.01.2017 - 13:30
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Vicious, mechanical sounding sludge from the UK, with many moments of melancholy. Big old slab of a sound.

Very cool sounding quasi avant-garde black metal. Has shades of Virus and Brown Jenkins, though much more framed in a straight forward black metal framework.

Was expecting a doom album when I clicked on the artwork, but it turns out it's a stripped back, riff-heavy black / thrash record. Very down to Earth but punchy sound and really well written songs.

23.01.2017 - 20:01
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 23.01.2017 at 13:30

Vicious, mechanical sounding sludge from the UK, with many moments of melancholy. Big old slab of a sound.

Its actually from Ukraine, the music. Also seems it was already out by 2016.

Sounds great at any rate though. 75 minutes of doom on tape is just too good to ignore.
23.01.2017 - 22:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
True, looks like they've split up too.

Utech Records has to be my fave new label discovery this year. This new offering feels hard to describe; some kind of improvised avant-garde metal / drone number. It has a grating psychedelic tonality about it. I'm sufficiently intrigued to hear what the whole thing sounds like.

New Misþyrming one-track split with Sinmara in tow. Misþyrming's side sounds pretty average, whereas the Sinmara side sounds quite massive.

Very impressive atmospheric black metal. Seems far more urgent and dynamic than your average boring entity.

Really excellent sounding progressive metal. Not my usual genre but I could definitely become a big fan of this. Yucky art and logo though.

24.01.2017 - 03:20
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Wicked sounding deathgrind from Spain from Willowtip and FOAD.

Very interesting sounding avant-garde death metal. Dissonant but also has a post-metal vibe to it. Should be worth keeping an eye on.

Doom metal with a textured and swirling sound. Sadly the vocals detract a little from the music, but the music itself is something else.

24.01.2017 - 22:09
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Super fun bullshit free doom death from Madrid via the spanish label Xtreem Music themselves.

Cryptic Brood - Brain Eater

Also a new Rogga Johansson album. How rare is that. Get on it now.

Those Who Bring The Torture - Necromancer

And a great french black metal album from Osmose Productions. Could be a late 2016 release too. Not sure but the bc page says its out on 2017.

Khaos-Dei - Opus II - Catechism

Great Italian death metal. This is kinda very promising.

Ekpyrosis - Asphyxiating Devotion

25.01.2017 - 03:02
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Code - Lost Signal

25.01.2017 - 03:08
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
That Cryptic Brood sounds more like some kind of grind to me than doom death.

Good sounding epic heavy metal. Great production and just on the right side of cheesy not to be an issue.

and a second track

Upcoming beastial black / death metal on Ván Records, with what could be the prettiest art seen this year (looks like an artist impression of The VVitch). No official tracks from this yet but the demo seems to have 3 songs from it, though no idea of they're going to be re-recorded. I suspect they will be.

Awesome sounding blackened doom / DSBM. Sounds almost like a doomy Blut aus Nord a bit. Can't wait for this.

Well this is pretty extraordinary. Doom with unbelievably good female vocals of multiple kinds. This is going to be a big hit this year I can tell, assuming it gets the right traction. Can't believe how good this is...

Strange and compelling ambient / avant-garde metal. Has a contemplative doomy vibe but shares little in common with doom. For fans of Dolorian perhaps. Being released on Avantgarde Music.

25.01.2017 - 15:13
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nice drone/doom thing:

Södermann - Nova
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.01.2017 - 15:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Tiny art, but cool music
25.01.2017 - 15:25
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Guest on 25.01.2017 at 15:23

Tiny art, but cool music

Yeah, I ended up resizing more than I originally intended to.
But it ended up looking kinda cool on the post, though. With somewhat proportional text placement... So I let it like that.
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.01.2017 - 18:23
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Totally forgot these guys existed; might have to look back into their discog as I remember liking them a long time ago. New record sounds promising anyway for some post-black stuff.

26.01.2017 - 09:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Titular thread album now streaming in full!

Batshit crazy, spastic jazz-influenced mathcore.

Very decent sounding blackened death doom, or thereabouts.

Slagmaur return! Dense, hypnotic industrial black metal. Sounds like they still have it to me.

27.01.2017 - 01:50
Fearmeister
Account deleted
White Death - White Death

27.01.2017 - 17:24
a.low

Written by Guest on 26.01.2017 at 09:55

Titular thread album now streaming in full!

[/center]

This album is insane!!
27.01.2017 - 19:36
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Guest on 27.01.2017 at 01:50

Already posted this 9 days back in this page. It has the guitarist from Krypts so this should turn out really well.
27.01.2017 - 20:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Where's mz's comment? Site bug?
27.01.2017 - 20:58
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 17.01.2017 at 15:14

New Twinesuns single out finally. Sick drone doom with weird atmospheric effects.

Full stream
27.01.2017 - 20:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 27.01.2017 at 20:58

Full stream

Ah yeah, that's been sitting in one of my tabs for a couple of days. Will listen to it v soon
27.01.2017 - 21:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This also streaming now in full. Bookending a disappointing year in death metal last year.

27.01.2017 - 23:47
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 27.01.2017 at 19:36

Already posted this 9 days back in this page. It has the guitarist from Krypts so this should turn out really well.

Ehh, its always hard to keep track of what was recommended in this thread. Barley 9 pages in and I've already lost complete track of whats going on in here!
28.01.2017 - 00:13
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Ritualization - Sacraments to the Sons of the Abyss

Schattenvald - V

28.01.2017 - 21:15
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Heavy, melancholic and psychedelic doom, with sweet artwork.

New single from Lantern. Great death metal with fantastically intricate art.