8 users:
Band: Echosilence
Album: Distorted Horizon
Release date: 2005

01. Views On Views
02. Distorted Horizon
03. Information Intoxication
04. Human Animal

Progressive metal band Echosilence has been around in Estonia since 1996. Soon they will have existed for 10 years and to this day they have yet to record a full length album (and I'm starting to wonder if they will ever get to it). "Distorted Horizon" is their first recording with new songs since their last demo in 1997. Even though you might expect the band to gather material for a full album, you are nevertheless served with a 30 minute mini CD.

One thing the band is notorious for is working their songs over and over to come up with something that would be almost, but not quite impossible, to play. This approach can probably be held responsible for the small amount of releases. But the product is worth it: the result is layered and so packed with music that you would need some heavy tools to make room for anything.

"Distorted Horizon" has a bit of a controversial sound. Its rhythm is pretty fast and varied yet the songs are long and somewhat slow, but still don't drag. On one hand there are heavy guitars that to some extent go to shredding creating the wall of sound. This is where the death and thrash metal roots of some of the members can be heard. On the other hand you have guitars that sound clean and high, with lots of pedal work, drawing beautiful influences from Jazz. And you get them all separately, alternating and together. The aerial background and high guitars with a touch of echo (I wonder if it has anything to do with their name) and some rare dubbing create the impression of a large hall most of the time. This all accounts for music that is somewhat hard to follow but at the same time has a sense of uniqueness while you listen to it.

Having been an instrumental band for quite a long time I was anxious to hear their new female vocalist Kadri. I have not been disappointed. She only manages to add her input to the controversial sound. Her voice is extremely clear and pretty high. I didn't really expect this and it was a big surprise. It took me a while to get used to having such a clear voice featured on songs that would normally have some powerful and strong male vocals. Don't get me wrong; Kadri's doing an amazing job and I really love the result. What you can find annoying though is her pronunciation. Because of the nature of the music some sentences are stressed unexpectedly and words have emphasis in the wrong place. It doesn't bother if you listen to it openly but if you try to follow the lyrics you'll find it a bit difficult.

Echosilence is a very skillful outfit; not too technical but still complex. For me they are one of the rare bands that play the ball in the right direction on the field that is Estonian metal scene. There are just too few bands that have what it takes to make such music. And if you add their rare live appearances it makes anything done by Echosilence an important event on its own. If you get a chance, listen to this release. This band deserves a wider audience.

PS. Echosilence has one track featured on Metal Storm Follow the Storm Vol. XI compilation. Check it if you can.

Written on 16.10.2005 by I shoot people.

Sometimes, I also write about it.

And one day I'm going to start a band. We're going to be playing pun-rock.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 25 users
11.04.2007 - 12:27
Markku
Account deleted
Superb review
I've overlookd this gem for such a long time, shame on me.

Quote:
For me they are one of the rare bands that play the ball in the right direction on the field that is Estonian metal scene.

You couldn't be more right about that one, well sayed.
27.07.2007 - 00:22
Pinusar
Account deleted
I listened to the album once, and I agree, you reviewed well, the music contained different "layers" which made it a bit hard to follow, but still it was very enjoyable. Maybe white I liked most was even the clear female vocals, because I find it original and it blended with the music very well.

And indeed, there could be more bands with such originality in Estonian metal scene.

Although you could say I discovered the band not long ago, the fact that they have existed 10 years and released so little disappoints me a bit, because it could mean that we are not to expect anything from them soon, but lets see.
27.07.2007 - 00:43
Ivor
Staff
Written by Guest on 27.07.2007 at 00:22

Although you could say I discovered the band not long ago, the fact that they have existed 10 years and released so little disappoints me a bit, because it could mean that we are not to expect anything from them soon, but lets see.

Last time I heard about them, it seems that the band is sort of in limbo. Their singer told that they haven't met for rehearsals for too long. Not that they haven't had gaps before but apparently not this long. So, as sad as it is, it may be a closed book now.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
23.07.2009 - 16:40
Rating: 9
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Is there any news about this band? I really enjoy DH!!
----
rekt
26.07.2009 - 23:43
Ivor
Staff
Written by tea[m]ster on 23.07.2009 at 16:40

Is there any news about this band? I really enjoy DH!!

Unfortunately no. As far as I know they haven't had a rehearsal together for well over a couple of years. Sort of like an unofficial split or something.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars

Hits total: 5311 | This month: 7