Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Herbrand Larsen Leaves

Enslaved are losing their keyboardist and vocalist Herbrand Larsen. He decided to leave the band after 13 years but he departs on good terms. He simply doesn't have the drive in him anymore. The band didn't discuss new members for now.

Grutle Kjellson comments: "Friends of Enslaved, brothers and sisters! Nothing lasts forever, and we have something to announce. Our keyboardist and vocalist for the last 13 years, Herbrand Larsen is leaving the band. There is no drama in connection with his departure, it was entirely his own decision, and we part ways as friends and with no bad blood in between us. We want to thank Herbrand for his duties in Enslaved in all these years, for standing alongside us on our adventures all over the world. We had some really good times on the road, in the recording studios and in our practice space. We raise our glasses, and wish you all the best on your next voyage! Thank you friend!"

Herbrand Larsen adds: "After 13 years of being a part of this amazing band it saddens me to say that I will be leaving Enslaved. It was not an easy decision to come to! I love Enslaved and will always do. There is no drama or anger involved in this. I think we all understand why this is the best decision both for me and the band. I don't have that 100% drive anymore, the drive you need to be in a band like Enslaved. Only 99% and that is not enough. It's hard to explain but this is how it is. I remember all the shows we have done together. All the places we have been and all the fans that we've met. I remember meeting fans, telling me that our music really means something to them. I remember traveling places I never thought I would see. I remember working with extremely talented people. I remember tough times, sad times but most of all, all the good times. You have all been a huge part of my life and will still be.

"For that I'm truly grateful! I'm looking forward to spend more time in the studio. Recording, producing and mixing music. That's where I want my focus and my drive to be. To Arve, Cato, Grutle and Ivar, thank you for your friendship, your creativity and your support. I wouldn't be who I am today if it wasn't for you guys. I am sure you will be even better, stronger and more successful in the future. And you will still continue to be my friends and a big part of my life. Thank you! "

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Enslaved
Posted: 15.12.2016 by FrisoVanDaalen

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 17   Visited by: 229 users
15.12.2016 - 19:01
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
Nooooooo! That is a HUGE loss to their sound. Big shoes to fill.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
15.12.2016 - 19:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Sad news, while you can probably find a swell keyboardist fairly asily, i also really enjoyed his vocal contributions.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
15.12.2016 - 19:55
Netzach
Planewalker
Very unexpected! But some new blood is just what Enslaved might need.
15.12.2016 - 20:05
poison-evie

Nooooo!
15.12.2016 - 20:54
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Hope the new player doesn't bring too much of a change to their "sound" I hope. But yeah some fresh blood into the songwriting would be great indeed.
15.12.2016 - 21:02
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Sad news indeed, but I hope Herbrand finds joy in whatever he does. Enslaved always had a progressive bent yet his contributions to the band from Isa on were fantastic, really taking them to the next level. But as long as Ivar and Grutle are in the band, I know they'll put out great music. I've been listening to their pre-Isa albums a bit lately; I wouldn't mind if they returned to a more stripped down sound. But I'll be interested to hear what they come up with next, no matter what it is.
----
The force will be with you, always.
15.12.2016 - 21:38
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What a shame, honestly each of the three times I've seen them live he's been the most fun member of the band to watch, really being responsible for most of the band's more "epic" moments handling both the atmospheric effects as well as the clean vocals. Happy that the split was on good terms though, and I hope this guy puts his skills to good use with more work in the future
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
16.12.2016 - 00:45
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Goddammit, his voice was becoming better and better with each album, and really became iconic to their sound... who can they possibly get to replace him?
----
16.12.2016 - 03:04
Lanthros

Very sad news. atleast its on good terms as friends. he will be missed on future efforts. I wish him all the best.
16.12.2016 - 03:48
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Agree with Jaeryd that his voice was getting better with each album and had become iconic to their sound. The contrast between his smooth clean vocals and Grutle's rasping vocals is something I enjoy a lot. I wish him all the best in his future, it is just sad as a fan when a great line-up loses a key member. Will always have all the great albums to listen to with him on them.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
16.12.2016 - 04:11
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Ace Frawley on 16.12.2016 at 03:48

Will always have all the great albums to listen to with him on them.

True, Isa to In Times is a great run of albums, so at least there's that.
----
16.12.2016 - 05:00
Fearmeister
Account deleted
Whoa! This was totally unexpected!

I'm so bummed that I haven't seen him live now
16.12.2016 - 11:49
Zap
Well, that's a bummer, his vocals had become an almost essential part of their sound. My favorite Enslaved album is Monumension though so it's not like they can't achieve great things without him. It will be interesting to see where this leads the band as a whole.
16.12.2016 - 18:47
The Galactician

Yeah, huge loss for the band. He is essential to the sound of modern Enslaved.

Well, I'll look forward to the reunion tour and/or full return in 10 years. That is generally how these things go.
16.12.2016 - 19:04
s_t_s

Don't know what to think about Enslaved. On the one hand I like listening to one of their albums here and there but on the other hand, I feel lost in tracks that last too long and seem "nothing more" than atmospheric tracks. I'm not even sure I fully listened to In Times. To put it in a nutshell, seeing a long time member leave could add some fresh blood... or not. We shall see. Best to him anyway !
16.12.2016 - 19:14
JayMo4

Glad that I had the chance to meet him before he left the band.

It won't be the same sound without him. But I do think that the right guy can help Enslaved explore new territories, and it'll be interesting to see where they go from here. They've had a great run of albums - 13 years' worth is a lot to be thankful for as a fan.
19.12.2016 - 19:35
Czerny Reiter

Enslaved were stuck in a rut post-AEO. A high-quality rut, but a rut nevertheless.

This might just be the shake that is needed to return them to true greatness.

Hits total: 3579 | This month: 6