03. Mass Strangulation
04. Death Delirium
05. Buried By The Dead
06. The Soulcollector
07. Bathe In Blood
08. Trail Of Insects
09. Like Fire
10. Cry My Name

Bloodbath is a super side-project from Sweden that gathers some members of three famous bands: Mikael Akerfeldt [vocals] from Opeth, Dan Swano [drums] from Edge Of Sanity and Anders Nystrom [guitar] and Jonas Renske [bass] from Katatonia. With such a talented line-up, you can resonably expect a killer album. And you won't be disappointed. But don't search for the doomy side of Opeth or the cool melodies of Katatonia because you won't find. What we have here is a real and undisguised tribute to the first wave of Swedish death metal [just like the first 3-tracks EP Breeding Death released in 2001].

To sum up this album, I remember I read somewhere that it is the transposition of what the Left Hand Path of Entombed would have been if released in 2002. I completely second that. Everything has been made to follow the tradition of the early 90's melodic death: the overall sound is perfect in aggression, wickedness and power, the vocals are only full of hatred growlings coming from the deepest abysses [Akerfeldt never sings with a clean voice for once], the riffs alternate between the highest speed possible ['Bathe In Blood'] and the grim melodies that characterize this period [listen to the disturbing 'Mass Strangulation' or the weird sounds at the end of 'Trail Of Insects']. If this album had been released a decade earlier, it would have become a standard among death metal standards.

This album is all about passion and devotion. It is clearly made by a band of fans, for the fans. Too bad this is probably their first and only album. It must be heard by the nostalgics of the beginnings of Entombed [or Edge Of Sanity, Dismember, etc...] but above all by every death metal fan. This is a kind of Grail, you'll soon be addicted!

Highlights: 'Ways To The Grave', 'Mass Strangulation', 'Bathe In Blood'

Written by Deadsoulman | 02.09.2003

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 232 users
12.04.2007 - 05:21
Rating: 10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Addicted is right, Bloodbath has quickly become my favorite death metal band, this album has so many eerie, and like you said, disturbing riffs, very grim. I just cant wait until I get enough money to get the second album.

The only thing I disagree with about this review is saying 'Mass Strangulation' is a highlight, that track along with 'So You Die' seemed like the 2 weakest tracks on the album.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.05.2007 - 19:09
Vulture
Account deleted
I would give 10 to this album because it is ripping my head off every time I listen to it!
But I don't agree that this album's highlights are "Mass Strangulation" and "Ways To The Grave". Of course,these songs are good, bet for me the favourite songs are "The Soulcollector", "Like fire" and "Cry My Name". The last one is my favourite.
This is one of my favourite death metal bands.
Yeah, but this album ir very good, powerful and aggressive. Wonderful.
14.02.2008 - 19:43
addiction

really really good album!!! and Cry My Name is addictive as hell! i cant stop listening to it! and the lyrics...just inspired!!!
the songs are sooo wicked and the growlings definitely coming from the deepest abysses!!!
i agree with the rating.....right now i would give it 10 but only because i am excited i guess....but it is definitely a 9....
----
alive in the superunknown
15.10.2008 - 00:02
XAV_METALOGIST

When You Are Talking Of Death Metal ... You Can Forget This Record ... Old School Scarry Guitar Sound ... Like Trail Of Insect ... These Guy Do Some Old School Death Metal But With A Particular Touch That Give Us All We Need .. They Just Fucking Rule ... So i put a 10 on 10 because these songs are original and Give me a great Feeling listening to it with my friends
11.04.2009 - 13:34
Ragana
Rawrcat
Written by addiction on 14.02.2008 at 19:43

really really good album!!! and Cry My Name is addictive as hell! i cant stop listening to it! and the lyrics...just inspired!!!

Riiight. That's an evil song. About that evil as Hypocrisy's "Compulsive Psychosis".

The album is very powerful, really catchy though probably the worst part of it is that songs are so... well, maybe not totally great, but I don't see any more highlights besides the song "Cry My Name". However, this is a good album, probably my favourite from Bloodbath.
11.04.2009 - 14:47
addiction

Written by Ragana on 11.04.2009 at 13:34

Written by addiction on 14.02.2008 at 19:43

Riiight. That's an evil song. About that evil as Hypocrisy's "Compulsive Psychosis".

The album is very powerful, really catchy though probably the worst part of it is that songs are so... well, maybe not totally great, but I don't see any more highlights besides the song "Cry My Name". However, this is a good album, probably my favourite from Bloodbath.

hehe yeah "cry my name" is awesome! but i wouldnt say its the only highlight though. i think "like fire" and "so you die" are also addictive but just not comparable to the masterpiece!
also good call on hypocrisy's "compulsive psychosis"! great song and addictive as well.
----
alive in the superunknown
11.04.2009 - 16:50
Rating: 8
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Ragana on 11.04.2009 at 13:34

My favorite Bloodbath album as well. The others don't seem to good when you compare them to this one. This cd has some really groove vibe that the others lack. And also this album is the only one of the others [along with the first EP] that have that old school sound.
"Cry My Name" is indeed an awesome song. But I disagree with the lack of highlights.
The beginning of "Ways To The Grave is almost scary at times, The main riff from "Buried By The Dead" is one of the catchiest riffs I've ever heard in my life and I never though that Mikael could growl like that since with Opeth the growls are more... "nice" and here they are totally dirty so to speak...
Another great highlight imo is Like Fire... That bass is so great on the middle of the song.

One of the best things I bought this year so far
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
27.06.2009 - 15:58
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Fuck you are right BATHE IN BLOOD rules!!!!!!!!!!! this is one of the best Dm albums from one of the best DM bands. fuck! these guys know perfectly when to sound catchy, when to sound aggresive and when to just fuck you hard with their ASTONISHING MUSIC! 10, 10, 10, 10 and nothing less...
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
12.11.2009 - 01:34
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Amazing album. Really liked the production style. New favorite Death Metal band approaching
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
08.01.2010 - 08:48
Immortal

Fucking love this album, been listening to it for years. The best track for me is 'Buried By The Dead'.
----
"Hope is the greatest of all evils, for it prolongs the torment of man." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Hits total: 8153 | This month: 14