Metal Storm logo
Marduk - Show In Oakland Cancelled Over Police Concerns

Swedish black metallers Marduk's show in Oakland, California was canceled "in the name of public safety" last night over concerns from Oakland police that the group would draw anti-fascist protesters. Marduk was supposed to play at the Oakland Metro Opera House. Police say the band has been criticized for glorifying Nazi imagery and anti-Semitism.

Opera house staff disagrees but complied with a request from Oakland police to cancel the performance. A statement published on the Oakland Metro Operhouse Facebook page read: "In the last week we have read interview after interview with Marduk spanning over the last 20 years and found no statements indicating the band are white supremacists, nationalists, or anti-immigrant. That being said, we don't want to subject our security staff, venue staff or the public to violence. Our staff is almost exclusively POC and/or LBGTQ and they have all expressed the desire to work, but as we are getting threats, we just can't risk it. So, in the interest of safety, and because the Oakland Police Department would have insisted anyway, we have canceled the Marduk performance on Feb 18.

"The Oakland Police Department has decided in the interest of public safety that the Marduk show on Saturday, February 18 at the Oakland Metro Operahouse be cancelled. Refunds at point of purchase. We apologize for the inconvenience."

In a letter to the venue, police said that "based on the riot that occurred in Berkeley in regards to Milo Yiannopolous speaking at the university it is reasonable to believe that there would be a threat to public safety if these groups showed up to protest Marduk."

Source: nbcbayarea.com
Band profile: Marduk
Posted: 19.02.2017 by BloodTears

Comments page 2 / 2

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 35   Visited by: 229 users
22.02.2017 - 20:40
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Andreas on 22.02.2017 at 17:42

I have the power to make his point stronger... and I can't handle that power!!!

Oh no! That means.....

25.02.2017 - 00:55
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
I guess they tried the same shit in Austin, TX. counter-protestors pushed so the show happened. seems about 8-10 antifa dudes showed up in their cute wannabe ninja gear and sat, quietly and behaved with their signs near the event... none of that get in the face crap they try elsewhere.basically, they knew they'd get their sorry asses beat.

and there are some youtube posts that break down the lies spread in Austin which showed up again in Oakland.

and meanwhile Marduk gets a ton of free publicity out of it...
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2017 - 16:21
@gent_-_orange

Written by BitterCOld on 20.02.2017 at 18:22

It's not fascism when antifa does it.

Exactly, Fascists and Antifa are two sides of the same coin, try saying this public however and prepare to be called a Nazi sympathiser because your not in complete 100 percent agreement with their violent methods, Antifa are the biggest hypocrites around.
01.03.2017 - 21:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by @gent_-_orange on 01.03.2017 at 16:21

Exactly, Fascists and Antifa are two sides of the same coin, try saying this public however and prepare to be called a Nazi sympathiser because your not in complete 100 percent agreement with their violent methods, Antifa are the biggest hypocrites around.

Many years ago, jebus almost a decade, 2008! Wolves In The Throne Room were in Europe, slated to play a gig in Germany. Apparently they made an offhand remark along the lines of not everything Hitler did was bad, while referencing the autobahn. (Don't quote me on that, but was an innocuous comment along similar lines, clearly not an endorsement of the dictatorship. is lost to time, methinks.) antifa went berserk, show got canceled, despite the band being about as far left as you could possibly go... PC, anti-all the right isms, living on a commune...

The band did like a 30 minute audio interview with Marcel (nuked when the site reformatted around 2009... ) to clarify everything up and get their side out. Funniest bit was they mentioned the club they used to play back in Washington, and how left it was, the collective that ran the club would not let anyone with ideologies right of theirs play, only those who subscribed to the same PC views.

apparently the irony was not entirely lost on the band.

but that's how insane the rabble on the extremes of either wing are. Agree with us on everything. Deviate on 1 point out of 99, you're a Fascist/Commie. Neither realize most people are in the middle, want none of it, and the far right and far left circle back and are essentially the same fucking beast.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2017 - 23:47
@gent_-_orange

Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2017 at 21:24

...but that's how insane the rabble on the extremes of either wing are. Agree with us on everything. Deviate on 1 point out of 99, you're a Fascist/Commie. Neither realize most people are in the middle, want none of it, and the far right and far left circle back and are essentially the same fucking beast.

Not surprised in the slightest with that WITTR story, they always seemed quite down to earth and reasonable regardless of you are left leaning or not, but this is what happens when you occupy an echo chamber and practice rabid identity politics, suddenly everyone who's not with you a Nazi/Commie and its easy to justify wanting to shut them down or beating the shit out of them etc because suddenly, they are less than human...

Hits total: 4313 | This month: 2