Monolithe
Mournful Congregation
Pantheist
Funeral
Until Death Overtakes Me

Total votes: 55
17.04.2007 - 15:14
Götter
Yep, here goes. Seven better-known melodic funeral doom bands. In the case of the band Funeral, I only mean their early stuff which kind of bordered on funeral doom and gave a name to the style.

My own vote goes to Skepticism, although SOD and UDOM would be viable choices as well.
17.04.2007 - 15:43
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Well I woud say I love The Funeral Orchestra Its my fav band from genre but from list well

About Funeral I prefere fisrt 2 albums like ''Tristesse'' and ''Tragedies'' but leitehr when thay channge sound to more gothic i like too, but Tragedies its my fav album of band

Monolithe - Interesting band one song alumbs, i like them but I havnt lsiten them long ago

The Monad of Creation - good band I discovere them only in last year about Xmass and hha i havnt hear albums, and demos, only fiew songs but what I hear ist good band good lyrics

Until Death Overtakes Me - well its in my wanted list I know its Stjin van Cauter's one of projects and all his projects are awsoem

About Shape Of Despair and Scepticism and Pantheist well those are well know bands in genre IMO
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.04.2007 - 15:55
Götter
Written by Bad English on 17.04.2007 at 15:43

Well I woud say I love The Funeral Orchestra Its my fav band from genre but from list well

It's not melodic, nor is it even 100% funeral doom. Borders with ultradoom.
17.04.2007 - 16:02
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Götter on 17.04.2007 at 15:55

Written by Bad English on 17.04.2007 at 15:43

It's not melodic, nor is it even 100% funeral doom. Borders with ultradoom.

Yes but IMO that band are uniquae I like this guitar riffs and melodies what thay criate
----

apos;'
[image]
18.04.2007 - 01:30
Bitch Boy

My vote goes for Shape of Despair. Nathalie's vocals are very melodic and nice, and the whole atmosphere of the band is great. I actually prefer non-extreme funeral than the extreme form of it.
21.04.2007 - 22:43
Dark Forever
Ruído Sonoro
Of these bands my fav one is Funeral, but I'm talking about their last album, which is not Funeral Doom, so my vote goes for Shape of Despair. I also like Pantheist and Mournful Congregation a lot. However, there's a band which is better than all of these if you consider it Funeral Doom: the portuguese band Desire. They have Funeral Doom songs, but sometimes they change to Death/Doom. Their atmosphere is unique.
----
Taste the DARK...
... and you'll live FOREVER!
21.04.2007 - 23:21
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Dark Forever on 21.04.2007 at 22:43

. However, there's a band which is better than all of these if you consider it Funeral Doom: the portuguese band Desire. They have Funeral Doom songs, but sometimes they change to Death/Doom. Their atmosphere is unique.

I know them and album 'Infinity... A Timeless Journey through an Emotional Dream' it remainds me old school paradise Lost phylosphy and old school doom sohnd, what us eto domain in early 90ties
----

apos;'
[image]
21.04.2007 - 23:29
Lucas
Mr. Noise
My vote goes to Shape Of Despair. I know they are well-known and I hate to vote for the most well-known (not grim enough) but I have to be honest. I like them most!

There are some serious contesters on the list though.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
21.04.2007 - 23:42
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
Thergothon please.
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
22.04.2007 - 03:57
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Tommy Tee, you're back! I missed you man, please make the forums unsafe again with your never-ending sarcasm.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
22.04.2007 - 05:05
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Asunder, they're genial... their two albums are among the greatest Funeral Doom albums recorded, and they have influences from mamy styles which also makes them special.
24.04.2007 - 18:29
|Angela|
Account deleted
I voted for Pantheist mainly because I like Andy's musicianship and the choir effects and stuff he brings into their albums.
25.04.2007 - 03:11
heresiarch
Forever Dead
Shape Of Despair - their level of desperate is unmatched
----
Heaven queen , carry me away from all pain

No reason to live for
One reason to die for

... To live for my death ...
25.04.2007 - 11:38
ylside

A nice tie between Skepticism and Shape of Despair in my case.
25.04.2007 - 16:25
Götter
I knew I forgot something. Namely, to leave Shape Of Despair out.

Written by -tom- on 21.04.2007 at 23:42

Thergothon please.

Counts as extreme and IMO more death/doom than funeral.

Written by Guest on 22.04.2007 at 05:05

Asunder, they're genial... their two albums are among the greatest Funeral Doom albums recorded, and they have influences from mamy styles which also makes them special.

Also rather extreme. But a good band, I agree.
26.04.2007 - 01:12
Ultraraw
Account deleted
I prefer Shape of Despair.Funeral Doom is very slow tempo music,i like mostly fast songs.
29.04.2007 - 21:10
Damnated
Churchburner
shape of despair from the list, but atm i prefer EA. such an amazing music.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.04.2007 - 23:33
Kurzag
Account deleted
Shape Of Despair. Beautiful music!
30.04.2007 - 18:52
Basso
Account deleted
Shape of Despair is one of the few funeral doom bands I whole-heartedly enjoy. But I am extremly picky with funeral doom in anycase.
30.04.2007 - 19:18
Bulldozer
Account deleted
For me, there is only one band who can beat Skepticism, and that is Mournful Congregation - in my opinion. Music that this band creates is unique and beautiful. "The Monad Of Creation" is, to me, the best album I've ever heard. All of their other songs are great - even the demos! Beautiful, harmonic, heavy and mystical. Truly a great band.

The second place goes to Skepticism. UDOM gets the last place. I like UDOM, but it gets boring quickly(huge respect to van Cauter though).
04.05.2008 - 14:21
THE_BLACK_GOD
Account deleted
its so hard to choose cause i see a lot of good bands here but i choosed Funeral cause they r good even theyve changed vocals
04.05.2008 - 14:27
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Shapes of Despair because I was near to cry when I heard the monotonous yet beautiful song "Angels of Distress"
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
05.06.2008 - 15:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
After finally having acquired Monolithe's both full-lengths and having listened to them over and over again I think I will settle for Monolithe in this poll. And problem is I already voted for either Mournful COngregation or Skepticism first time around, aaarrrggghhh
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2008 - 16:02
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Do think they are that good? I really liked their two full-lengths, but I'd rate them a high 7 or a low 8. Whereas other Funeral Doom bands obviously score much higher.
----

05.06.2008 - 16:09
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 05.06.2008 at 16:02

Do think they are that good? I really liked their two full-lengths, but I'd rate them a high 7 or a low 8. Whereas other Funeral Doom bands obviously score much higher.

Yes, I do think so. They are very original when you compare them to other funeral doom bands. WHo for instance would use an accordeon? And manage to make it sound as a natural instrument for a funeral doom band?
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.06.2008 - 16:14
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Alright, valid point. But still, they built on what other, earlier Funeral Doom bands did.
----

05.06.2008 - 16:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Lucas on 05.06.2008 at 16:14

Alright, valid point. But still, they built on what other, earlier Funeral Doom bands did.

But are better IMO ;-)

Btw I still don't understand why Funeral is considered Funeral Doom. Also not their very early works. Yes, so the band is called Funeral but that's about it. As for that band their early works were meidocre softish death doom at best IMO and their later works are much more gothic deathish dooom, but then again I don't think an original member is still left in the band. And live they suck terribly plus they are arrogant behaving like divas.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

12.01.2013 - 19:42
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Shape Of Despair. It's the only Funeral Doom band I know from this poll; besides, it's one of my favorite bands.
12.01.2013 - 19:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 12.01.2013 at 19:42

Shape Of Despair. It's the only Funeral Doom band I know from this poll; besides, it's one of my favorite bands.

all bands are pretty known in metal scene , so its eird if you know only 1 band
----

apos;'
[image]
12.01.2013 - 23:26
LordHypnos
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 12.01.2013 at 19:48

Written by Guest on 12.01.2013 at 19:42

all bands are pretty known in metal scene , so its eird if you know only 1 band

It's not weird. It's just that I know too little about Doom Metal.