Style: Post-metal, Sludge metal
Release date: February 2017

01. Prowler
02. Fabulist
03. Antlers
04. Cringe
05. Specter
06. Embodiment

Gloson is a five-piece post-metal band residing in Halmstad, Sweden. In 2014 I listened to their debut EP, Yearwalker, and came away thoroughly impressed. Now, after 2+ years, they have finally released their first full-length album, Grimen. A well-executed and high-standard effort in what is unfortunately now the Groundhog Day world for post-metal, Gloson showcase a sound unmistakably distinct from other post metal bands today, and I am so relieved.

The one prowess I noticed right from the advent of Grimen is the disquiet is particularly thick and represented by a substantial subset of sub-genres. Slow-burning sludge-y riffs, expansive and colossal doom exercises, and above-average death metal growls. The mixture is well-formed and beyond reproach. Very expressive and hallmarked by diligently placed crescendo. All the right ingredients in the proper proportions.

The song structures, in the forms of a healthy dosage of six songs totaling about 50 minutes, are an excellent balance of ambiance, the occasional explosion of layered-guitar, sludge-style riffage, and catchy chords stretched out to impossible lengths and soul-destroying tension. The production is top of the line; the soundscape and aura are one of murkiness, mixed low and often seeming to drown in a heavy and dense wall of sound. The mastering was done by Magnus Lindberg Productions of Cult Of Luna fame.

Grimen is a formidable debut album from a band who had a tremendous start. Gloson are obviously viable followers of the post-metal landscape and the influences in the music are apparent. However, after listening to Grimen a bunch of times I feel Gloson bring something more to the table, didgeridoo and all. But for those who need a starting point: any similar bands, you ask? Moanaa, Amenra and Izah are the first few I think of, and Gloson can sit right beside them.

Explore it here: bandcamp

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written on 06.03.2017 by Be gentle, I never said I was any good at this!

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 212 users
06.03.2017 - 13:01
Rating: 9
Jagsey

Accidently stumbled upon the Yearwalker EP the other day and it took me by surprise. Especially the track The End / Aftermath with the quiet part in the middle after erupting in sludgy goodness. I probably choose Yearwalker over Grimen, for I had hoped on more of those contrast / build up moments but it certainly is a good debut. Combines some great genres to one solid package.
07.03.2017 - 03:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Nice words, bought (yes, as always kicked in a couple bucks) on bandcamp, will check it out later.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
08.03.2017 - 15:11
Dogsbreakfast

Good review, I think it describes the feeling of this release well. I also kicked-in a couple of bucks at Bandcamp and picked up Yearwalker and Livewalker too. I'd never heard of Gloson until a couple of weeks ago. Since then, I've probably listened to one album or another every single day.
----
dogsbreakfast@hotmail.com
31.03.2017 - 10:58
Rating: 8
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
"Cringe" would be my highlight of this album. What a soul crushing track.

Hits total: 5226 | This month: 12