Metal Storm logo
Negură Bunget - Drummer Gabriel 'Negru' Mafa Dies

Tibor Kati, the guitarist and lead singer of the Romanian band Negură Bunget, announced recently that Gabriel "Negru" Mafa, the founding member and the drummer of the band, passed away yesterday, 21.03.2017. He was 42. The main reasons of his tragic and sudden death remain unknown.

The guitarist declared: "With great grief in our souls, we inform you that our friend and colleague, Gabriel 'Negru' Mafa, passed today, March 21st 2017, aged 42. We deeply regret the death of the man who founded and maintained Negură Bunget, and who dedicated his life to the sacred side of our culture, bringing it to life through music and transmitting it to various generations from all over the world. We hope that his legacy will continue to enchant and console those whom he left behind. With regret and sadness, we offer our condolences to his family and to those who knew and cherished him in this life."

Inia Dinia, his former bandmate and colleague from Din Brad, also stated the following: "With great shock and sadness I learned yesterday evening that Gabriel (Negru) passed away...I am so sorry Gabi...7 years spent together in Negură Bunget, hundreds of concerts performed,we traveled the world far and wide and been together through the good and the bad. You taught me so much. I wish you a peaceful passing into the afterlife and we will see each other again. It has been a great honor working with you. My sincerest condolences to the family."

Moreover, Alan Averill, the lead singer of Primordial, stated: "Just heard that my old friend Gabriel from Negură Bunget died today. He was only 42. We first played together with Primordial/Negura way back in the early 00s in Bulgaria and Romania. One of my most cherished memories and first trips to Eastern Europe, and he was pivotal in organising it. We often toured and played together on many stages in many countries. A shy and gentle guy who made long days on tour seem calm with simple kindness and I felt through him a strong dedication to his art. Rest in peace big man."

The band's label also released a statement.

[Also thanks to Bad English and Gothmog_Motsham for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Negură Bunget
Posted: 22.03.2017 by Caladrius

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 10   Visited by: 254 users
22.03.2017 - 13:37
Sword_Chant

Oh man... that's sad :/ wonder if the band will decide to carry on, or call quits. RIP
22.03.2017 - 13:45
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
That's very sad.

RIP, man.
22.03.2017 - 13:56
Schimodie

Written by Sword_Chant on 22.03.2017 at 13:37

Oh man... that's sad :/ wonder if the band will decide to carry on, or call quits. RIP

I don't know... Hupogrammos and Negru were the founding members of the band and together with Sol Faur the 3 became the soul of the golden era of the band. With Hupo and Sol leaving in 2009, Negru became the de facto leader of the band, he was basically the man behind Negura Bunget, no questions asked. That's why I don't think they can go on under the Negura Bunget name.

However, if they still have some material from the third part of the Transilvanian trilogy, I would like them to release it in one form or another as I'm curious about how it ends.

RIP Negru, you will be missed!
22.03.2017 - 15:22
The Melting Snow

If they release an album this year, it'll top charts.

#harambeEffect
22.03.2017 - 16:13
God Alone

Apparently he died of heart attack. No first signs whatsoever, just out of the blue. A terrible news, I'm really shocked...
22.03.2017 - 17:52
3rdWorld
China was a neat
RIP.
23.03.2017 - 14:20
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
This hits me a lot harder than I thought it would upon initially hearing the news. Negura Bunget were one of the first black metal bands I heard that really got me into the more awesome, hidden side of the genre. They really made me sit up like "hmmm, it seems there's a lot more to this black metal thing than I thought." Say what you want about Negru and where he's taken the band in recent years, but Romania, and black metal in general, has lost a giant. He will certainly be missed by me. RIP
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
23.03.2017 - 14:53
Paz

R.I.P.

OM will always remain in my top 5 albums of all time.
23.03.2017 - 15:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Auntie Sahar on 23.03.2017 at 14:20

This hits me a lot harder than I thought it would upon initially hearing the news. Negura Bunget were one of the first black metal bands I heard that really got me into the more awesome, hidden side of the genre. They really made me sit up like "hmmm, it seems there's a lot more to this black metal thing than I thought." Say what you want about Negru and where he's taken the band in recent years, but Romania, and black metal in general, has lost a giant. He will certainly be missed by me. RIP

Indeed sad news. While less impressed by their recent efforts, OM played a similar role for me in expanding my notions of what Black Metal could be. It sits in a rotating spot with Warning's "Watching From A Distance" in my favorite album from the 00's as well as lasting influence.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
24.03.2017 - 22:02
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Written by Schimodie on 22.03.2017 at 13:56

Written by Sword_Chant on 22.03.2017 at 13:37

I don't know... Hupogrammos and Negru were the founding members of the band and together with Sol Faur the 3 became the soul of the golden era of the band. With Hupo and Sol leaving in 2009, Negru became the de facto leader of the band, he was basically the man behind Negura Bunget, no questions asked. That's why I don't think they can go on under the Negura Bunget name.

However, if they still have some material from the third part of the Transilvanian trilogy, I would like them to release it in one form or another as I'm curious about how it ends.

RIP Negru, you will be missed!

The third part will be released unless some legal issues stop that from happening. The album was in pre-production and the drums were already recorded. But yeah, the band is over after that.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?

Hits total: 7650 | This month: 13