07. Ghosts
08. Can't Let Go
09. Close Your Eyes
10. Wildfires
11. Back To The Start

Guest review by
WayTooManyCDs
Rating:
Best Anathema album? No. Most chill and contemplative? Absolutely.

Read more ››
published 15.03.2018 | Comments (0)

Found in 13 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 745 users
24.03.2017 - 14:24
Rating: 9
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
I'll play the optimist and say it should be a great album

P.S.: The cover is not quite convincing. Feels like it's an unreleased album from '97
24.03.2017 - 14:25
Paradoxical

32.63N 117.14W leads to Silver Strand State Beach
24.03.2017 - 14:26
Paradoxical

I miss the pessimistic Anathema. This optimistic Anathema is too sugary for me.
24.03.2017 - 15:39
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by andreosokin on 24.03.2017 at 14:24
Feels like it's an unreleased album from '97

I hope it is... Like Paradoxical said, I prefer the pessimistic Anathema from the late 90s.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.03.2017 - 16:24
garmling
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 24.03.2017 at 15:39

Written by andreosokin on 24.03.2017 at 14:24
Feels like it's an unreleased album from '97

I hope it is... Like Paradoxical said, I prefer the pessimistic Anathema from the late 90s.

Nope, it's a completely new album recorded this winter....Here's the sample.....
30.03.2017 - 16:59
Basil

Let's hope it is good album !
07.05.2017 - 15:57
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Wow, blown away on first listen. Thank you lord...last two albums are meh.
----
rekt
10.05.2017 - 13:28
Rating: 4
BehzadSh

Boring album with one or two good songs.
San Fransisco is the worst song in the album I don't get it why they use so much electronic sounds .
I missed old Anathem
----
http://www.last.fm/user/behzadsh
19.05.2017 - 11:38
garmling
Account deleted
The worst Anathema album ever! Except maybe 3-4 songs, this album is a mess.... I understand it is a continuation of the story from "A Fine Day to Exit" (which was their worst imo till this one), but do we really need a jazz song just to picture a nightmare of main protagonist.... Also, the last song (clocking at over 11 min) is only half way through, the rest is, well, silence... You've probably heard this type of closing track million times before...
20.05.2017 - 12:39
Rating: 5
God Alone

Their worst album and my biggest disappointment ever.
30.05.2017 - 21:43
doom777

I expected more from this amazing band. But their new album is quite boring. I'm so sorry!
09.06.2017 - 09:08
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by God Alone on 20.05.2017 at 12:39

Their worst album and my biggest disappointment ever.

Written by doom777 on 30.05.2017 at 21:43

I expected more from this amazing band. But their new album is quite boring. I'm so sorry!

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys downloaded it for free and you didn't feel the need to give it a couple more spins. I'm currently listening to these songs for the first time (after having them heard at the concert yesterday ) and I'm really enjoying it.

"Fans" these days...
09.06.2017 - 10:57
IronAngel

I did not really care for anything since We're Here Because We're Here, but this sounds like a return to form on first skimming. Definitely uneven though. (I am in the camp who think A Fine Day to Exit and especially A Natural Disaster are really their only albums of lasting, mature value.)
09.06.2017 - 12:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by andreosokin on 09.06.2017 at 09:08

I'm pretty sure it's because you guys downloaded it for free and you didn't feel the need to give it a couple more spins. I'm currently listening to these songs for the first time (after having them heard at the concert yesterday ) and I'm really enjoying it.

"Fans" these days...

I haven't listened to it yet but I will soon. Does it sound like A Fine Day to Exit though? I love that album actually.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
09.06.2017 - 12:47
Mr. Mackey

I've read some reviews stating it is a relatively dark album. Since I prefer the darker elements of Anathema, I was really thrilled. Well, turns out it feels not especially dark and it gets even jazzy in some parts. That is not automatically a let down for me, but the majority feels really flat and uninteresting. Not many catchy elements as well.
09.06.2017 - 13:38
andreosokin
SOUNDERY
Written by BloodTears on 09.06.2017 at 12:38

Written by andreosokin on 09.06.2017 at 09:08

"Fans" these days...

I haven't listened to it yet but I will soon. Does it sound like A Fine Day to Exit though? I love that album actually.

Yeah there's a short snippet of Pressure in the very end of Can't Let Go

But seriously - maybe little bits and pieces here and there, but generally it sounds like Anathema found a new blend for their musical direction. Wildfires may remind you of Fine Day and Natural Disaster; Endless Ways - of Weather Systems, perhaps... etc etc

And I especially love the production. A bold, round piece of musical information
09.06.2017 - 14:41
Oykan Övgü

RIP Anathema.
10.06.2017 - 20:11
Polaria

After one listen I don't think this album is the catastrophe some people are saying it is.
The album is OK on its own, but its very big flaw is that it is the FOURTH album of Anathema in an identical vein and in a row, even the diehard fans will get bored at some point.

This album doesn't sound optimistic at all, it sounds like a loose concept album about losing your way in your life and getting stuck in a spot you never wanted to get in. I found it quite introspective, witthout many vocals.

Springfield stands out for me.

Written by Oykan Övgü on 09.06.2017 at 14:41

RIP Anathema.

Yeah well that's basically what peeps have been saying since 2001. I don't understand why some people are still clinging to that "return to doom metal" idea, Anathema has been much more like an experimental prog rock band since their comeback in 2010.
----
Life is all the pain we endeavour.
11.06.2017 - 12:27
Redel

Just gave it a spin. Thought this might be nice for a Sunday morning.
It was. Just some easy-going fluffy Atmospheric (Rock) music. I certainly liked the pianos, again.
Wildfires stands out for me.

But I cant see how you would possibly expect anything else here (or "more").
So I really dont understand everybody's disappointment with this album.
This is straight ahead down the road they have been following since, say 2001s Fine Day.
And it is the perfect successor for Distant Satellites.
Wouldnt see how you could call this "a mess".
Whether you/we like this or not should be a separate count.
11.06.2017 - 19:38
Polaria

Written by Redel on 11.06.2017 at 12:27

Hint.
----
11.06.2017 - 23:15
Redel

Written by Polaria on 11.06.2017 at 19:38

Hint.

Thank you for trying to give me a hint how to solve my puzzle by providing a link to their masterpiece from very early times (definitely my absolute favourite from them).
It's just, I dont see how it is supposed to be of help here.

See, this was about 22 (!) years ago.
Just take a look at their discography from 1995 to today and think about the development of their music over this time. It is a pretty straight forward, imo very consistent development, away from death doom metal.
I generally dont appreciate it, but I respect it, and I think it is done much better than by many other Metal bands (over a similar period of time.)

Did you seriously expect something only remotely related to The Silent Enigma with The Optimist?
12.06.2017 - 14:00
Polaria

Written by Redel on 11.06.2017 at 23:15

Hint.

Thank you for trying to give me a hint how to solve my puzzle by providing a link to their masterpiece from very early times (definitely my absolute favourite from them).

Just take a look at their discography from 1995 to today and think about the development of their music over this time. It is a pretty straight forward, imo very consistent development, away from death doom metal.
I generally dont appreciate it, but I respect it, and I think it is done much better than by many other Metal bands (over a similar period of time.)

Did you seriously expect something only remotely related to The Silent Enigma with The Optimist?

Not me but it seems that yes some people still did. I have hardly listened to The Silent Enigma I caught the train at Alternative 4.

If you read my comment just above yours: I don't understand why some people are still clinging to that "return to doom metal" idea, Anathema has been much more like an experimental prog rock band since their comeback in 2010.
----
12.06.2017 - 15:37
Redel

Written by Polaria on 12.06.2017 at 14:00

Written by Redel on 11.06.2017 at 23:15

Hint.

Not me but it seems that yes some people still did. I have hardly listened to The Silent Enigma I caught the train at Alternative 4.

You definitely should go further back to their early stuff then. I can also recommend Eternity.
And their debut is worth a spin too in order to understand where they come from ( and will definitely never come back to).

If you read my comment just above yours: I don't understand why some people are still clinging to that "return to doom metal" idea, Anathema has been much more like an experimental prog rock band since their comeback in 2010.

Of course I have read your comment before posting mine. Thats what made me pretty confident that you were not expecting anything else. I guess my comment was more directed to "everybody else".
21.06.2017 - 04:40
greg_lecter

I love Anathema, but this is such a regular record, nothing new, nothing extraordinary.
22.06.2017 - 07:15
Rating: 6
SoUnDs LiKe PoP

I enjoy newer Anathema, but this album is just very average. What a huge disappointment. Only decent song on the album is "San Francisco." I'd say "Endless Ways" is okay, too, but it's only good because it's copying one of the melodies off of Untouchable.
----
I lift weights and listen to metal
28.06.2017 - 07:16
Rating: 4
♱ RaVeN ♱

Written by Guest on 19.05.2017 at 11:38

The worst Anathema album ever! Except maybe 3-4 songs, this album is a mess.... I understand it is a continuation of the story from "A Fine Day to Exit" (which was their worst imo till this one), but do we really need a jazz song just to picture a nightmare of main protagonist.... Also, the last song (clocking at over 11 min) is only half way through, the rest is, well, silence... You've probably heard this type of closing track million times before...

I completely agree and honestly i don't see anything similar to a fine day to exit (a masterpiece in my opinion). I see anathema as a band who is trying to live in its shadow today. It sounds too modern and overproduced
28.06.2017 - 09:03
HemisphereofWar

Who here has listened to this album? Is it worth getting? I've listened to one of the tracks, but I don't know, it seemed a little too slow and melancholy.
----
See how it sings like a sad heart
And joyously screams out its pain
Sounds that build high like a mountain
Or notes that fall gently, like rain.
28.06.2017 - 19:40
Polaria

Written by HemisphereofWar on 28.06.2017 at 09:03

Who here has listened to this album? Is it worth getting? I've listened to one of the tracks, but I don't know, it seemed a little too slow and melancholy.

I tend to lean towards the "no" sadly. They've got a bunch of albums worth getting but this one isn't part of that lot.
----
29.06.2017 - 00:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Written by HemisphereofWar on 28.06.2017 at 09:03

I love this album, their best since WHBWH. "Ghosts" is by far my favorite song on the album...drives me to tears, no joke.
----
rekt
06.07.2017 - 21:34
IronAngel

Written by tea[m]ster on 29.06.2017 at 00:25

their best since WHBWH.

This isn't saying a whole lot, to be honest. I couldn't say I agree with the stronger estimate, though - I didn't get around to listening to it a second time yet. Too little time.

Hits total: 13679 | This month: 37