Metal Storm logo
Enslaved - Enter The Studio, New Album In The Making

Good news arrive from the Enslaved camp today. It looks like the Norwegian progressive metallers are already forging the follow-up to In Times released two years ago. They have entered the studio again to record their 14th, yet untitled full-length release. The recordings are taking place at Duper & Solslottet Studios in Bergen throughout April, and will be mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios. According to their label, "the album promises to be original and refreshing - and to contain some surprising new elements."

"It is absolutely fantastic to be in the studio with these new songs," states mastermind Ivar Bjørnson. "So many doors were opened with In Times and the times (sic) that followed; for us as a band, for me as a composer and I guess for us all on a personal level. I have never worked this hard to put together music for an album before, and that intensity continues into the studio where everybody is giving their everything, every hour of every day. We are a tighter unit than ever before, which is obvious sonically. The concept conjured by myself and old war-brother Grutle is the strongest we have worked with. Finally, I am proud that we have taken more risks than ever before, and one in particular - and it is yielding awesome results. What does that mean? Stay tuned to find out!"

The eye-catching cover and artwork is once again being currently created by renowned designer and painter Truls Espedal. Expect more info to be revealed soon.

Shared by the band

Source: nuclearblast.de
Band profile: Enslaved
Posted: 21.04.2017 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 25   Visited by: 155 users
21.04.2017 - 13:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Quote:
Finally, I am proud that we have taken more risks than ever before, and one in particular - and it is yielding awesome results.

Holy shit!
21.04.2017 - 14:14
Liquid

This is the exact piece of news I check metalstorm every morning for. Bring it the fuck on!
21.04.2017 - 14:22
MIXHELL

HYPED
21.04.2017 - 15:31
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Color me excited. can't wait to see what they come up with.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.04.2017 - 15:36
Metren
Dreadrealm
Enslaved have never made a poor album imo, but the last two-three were somewhat disappointing, occasional brilliance framed by loads of autopilot-moments in the songwriting. Taking risks is more than welcome, I believe this will be good.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
21.04.2017 - 16:57
MetalManic

His english writing is superb. Far better than mine. Woe, my only language too.
21.04.2017 - 19:21
Necrodamus

If it is anything like Axioma Ethica Odini then we will have another masterpiece on our hands. Last few didn't really capture that excellence. Looking forward to this.
21.04.2017 - 19:44
Dave FC

I love this band... But, please, don't deliver another In Times!
21.04.2017 - 20:47
s_t_s

Oddly there are some Enslaved albums I love (Isa, Ruuns), other I listen to here and there (Riitiir) and other I'm not sure I have ever been through like In Times. Yet they are a great band, maybe I'm not just a good fan Anyway I would be glad to listen to new material !
21.04.2017 - 20:55
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Excited to hear what they have to offer. Haven't released any bad music yet in my opinion, so I hope they don't disappoint.
21.04.2017 - 21:44
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.04.2017 at 13:34

Quote:
Finally, I am proud that we have taken more risks than ever before, and one in particular - and it is yielding awesome results.

Holy shit!

Oh, that just probably means there will be no growling on the record. (by the way, we seriously need to update our smileys on MS)
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
21.04.2017 - 21:54
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Sounds like this time they are putting some extra effort. Excited.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
21.04.2017 - 23:11
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Band has yet to release a bad album. Consistent and solid.
----
rekt
22.04.2017 - 01:27
Rapid Fire

I like all of their albums, though I admit the most recent are the ones I really love. Agree that they have never disappointed, hope they continue in that great line. Excited!
----
Twelve voices were shouting in anger, and they were all alike. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
22.04.2017 - 04:46
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Wonder what they're going to do without Herbrand Larsen... has there been any news on a new band member? Or are they just going to go at it with the current lineup?

I'm also glad that they seem to be experimenting a bit... hopefully it's not just talk, and they really deliver something new. I really liked In Times and RIITIIR quite a bit, but I feel like they've started to settle into a sound that, while they're really honing it down into some finely-crafted stuff, might get start a little stale if they continue in that direction without adding some new ideas in the mix.
----
22.04.2017 - 09:12
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Jaeryd on 22.04.2017 at 04:46

has there been any news on a new band member? Or are they just going to go at it with the current lineup?

Same questions were thrown in comment sections on their facebook page. It seems they would be going with current line-up. Apart from that, nothing officially has been said anywhere about line-up change.
22.04.2017 - 14:00
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.04.2017 at 09:12

Same questions were thrown in comment sections on their facebook page. It seems they would be going with current line-up. Apart from that, nothing officially has been said anywhere about line-up change.

Hakon Vinje - Keyboards, Vocals.
22.04.2017 - 14:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by K✞ulu on 21.04.2017 at 21:44

Oh, that just probably means there will be no growling on the record.

That would be good. On some of their more recent albums the very abrasive vocals simply don't fit in a lot of songs.
22.04.2017 - 14:52
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Daniell on 22.04.2017 at 14:14

Written by K✞ulu on 21.04.2017 at 21:44

Oh, that just probably means there will be no growling on the record.

That would be good. On some of their more recent albums the very abrasive vocals simply don't fit in a lot of songs.

I couldn't imagine an Enslaved album without the awesome rasping vocals of Grutle Kjellson. For mine, I hope he continues again on the new album. Excited for this and hope the new guy can sing melodic cleans like Larson. Great news and also on the day their new live recording is released!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
22.04.2017 - 15:48
Metren
Dreadrealm
Can't see how losing growls would be a good thing at all tbh. Some of the best moments on Enslaved records are the combinations of excellent growls complementing the rhythm department. "Hear them cry, watch them fly" and other moments like that. If anything, in recent albums it is the clean parts that are lazy and boring with their bittersweet-sounding semi-dissonant harmonies. If the growls indeed don't fit with the music at times, then that needs to be fixed, getting rid of growls altogether would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
22.04.2017 - 22:18
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Daniell on 22.04.2017 at 14:00

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 22.04.2017 at 09:12

Hakon Vinje - Keyboards, Vocals.

Oh yes. I think it was announced in Feb I guess.

Well, this new addition was out of my radar.
24.04.2017 - 23:18
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Tbh I never really liked Grutle's vocals, not on recent albums anyway. I believe Ivar Bjornson does harsh vocals though... I prefer his lower growl to the harsh gurgling shriek that Kjellson does. In any case, I wouldn't really mind either way if they took out harsh vocals completely or decided to keep them in.

I must've totally missed that news about Hakon Vinje joining, though... haven't heard any material the other band he's from, either. I assume he's a good keyboard player; are his vocals any good?
----
25.04.2017 - 00:00
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Grutle? Oh wait... the guy I drank some craft beers with yesterday on my birthday at Roadburn.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

25.04.2017 - 03:06
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.04.2017 at 00:00

Grutle? Oh wait... the guy I drank some craft beers with yesterday on my birthday at Roadburn.

Yeah, that Grutle, of course!
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
30.04.2017 - 19:28
The Galactician

Larson was such a huge part of their sound the last bunch of records; I've been worried about what the future would be for the band without him. Keys are easy to replace, but the guy had a completely unique-sounding voice.

This announcement has me far more excited and curious than anything else. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with!

Hits total: 3217 | This month: 5