Metal Storm logo
Event Planning for Metal

24.04.2017 - 01:07
Amy

Are there any Metalstormers out there that work behind the scenes planning concerts/gigs? I have done some event planning (not professionally and not music related) but I haven't seen/heard much on planning metal show/gigs.This idea dawned on me when I was thinking about how disappointed I when a band I really wanted to see was finally coming to the USA but no where near my city. I know plenty of you empathize with me on this.Then I decided, that maybe I could be in charge and get the band to come to my city.

How do you get bands to come to your area? How do you estimate the amount of tickets you'll sell? Security for the venue? I think it can be a fun way to get bands to come to your area and serve your local metal community.
----
\m/
28.04.2017 - 00:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I doubt so, and I personally think its boring, if you need organize, plan, you wont see a gig but be backstage, on mobile and stressed. I was able help out on cash machine, I was refusing to do it
I don't want use my free time, planning yes, if I get paid, as main job hip hop event, not metal because I wanna see band playing and have some beer.
I don't wanna invest sek 10 unlessI wont get back sek 60... sek 13 is way to less
My free time is so value, I prefer listen 6-7 albums per day and do what I like, such things I need be paid! and overpaid as I can get in my main job + OB
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.04.2017 - 04:08
Vombatus
Potorro
I am no pro, merely know a few things through friends that do exactly what you describe. My home city is usually a shithole for metal-related things, no tours, no nothing. So now it's just a bunch of friends that bring underground bands in a DIY way.

What I did perceive is that you first need to know what happens in your area and determine what are you aiming for. International touring bands? Local underground acts? How lively is the area concerning live shows/clubs/metal,etc.? Can only make an estimate on sales, based on the answer of those questions being a good start. As for organizing all the logistics, it's all up to you to go ask bands, search potential venues, etc.... It's the promoter who has to move first to make it happen.

I think that when you start from scratch, it's like jumping into an empty pool. Never know what might happen, except that it's hard work (more than what people think) and probably will cost quite a bit (be ready to loose some cash).

I'd totally love to get more involved into this kind of thing, but my geographic instability doesn't offer me the chance. So it goes.