04. Parental Guidance
05. Rock You All Around The World
06. Out In The Cold
07. Wild Nights, Hot And Crazy Days
08. Hot For Love
09. Reckless
10. All Fired Up [2001 re-release bonus]
11. Locked In [Live at Kiel Auditorium, May 23, 1986] [2001 re-release bonus]

Disc II [Live At Kemper Arena, Kansas City, 1986][30th Anniversary Edition bonus]
01. Out In The Cold [live]
02. Locked In [live]
03. Heading Out To The Highway [live]
04. Metal Gods [live]
05. Breaking The Law [live]
06. Love Bites [live]
07. Some Heads Are Gonna Roll [live]
08. The Sentinel [live]
09. Private Property [live]
10. Desert Plains [live]
11. Rock You All Around The World [live]

Disc III [Live At Kemper Arena, Kansas City, 1986][30th Anniversary Edition bonus]
01. The Hellion [live]
02. Electric Eye [live]
03. Turbo Lover [live]
04. Freewheel Burning [live]
05. Victim Of Changes [live]
06. The Green Manalishi (With The Two-Pronged Crown) [Fleetwood Mac cover] [live]
07. Living After Midnight [live]
08. You've Got Another Thing Coming [live]
09. Hell Bent For Leather [live]

The year is 1986. Judas Priest are at the top of the metal world, having recently released the highly acclaimed Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith, their record sales are through the roof, and their concerts are sold out. There are also a couple of stains, though; they are involved in a civil action that alleged that their recording of the song "Better By You, Better Than Me" contained a subliminal message, which led to the suicide attempts of two young men. In addition to this, Rob Halford is fighting substance abuse and is going through emotional turmoil. Musically, glam is starting to get very popular, especially in the USA. Under these circumstances, Judas Priest release Turbo.

The album is a cold shower for the people who were excitedly expecting something similar to the quality of their previous releases. Turbo is flirting intensely with glam, guitar synthesizers are introduced for the first time and the lyrical content is painfully stupid (not that the band is famous for their lyrics, but here they reached an all-time low). The band that used to be a heavy metal pioneer sounds like it is following the herd towards MTV airplay and uses catchy pop, uninspired songwriting. Weak and mid-tempo riffs, commercial production and hair-salon appearance are only some of the reasons why the fans were disappointed (and this term is an understatement). Choruses are repeated so many times that make you want to smash the cassette or record player (not many owned compact disc players back then). Take for example "Parental Guidance" and especially "Rock You All Around The World", in which Rob sings these six words repeatedly for 50 bloody seconds.

The problem with this release is not that it is commercial and sounds more hard rock/glam rather than heavy metal. There are very respectable and enjoyable releases of this genre during that era. Van Halen's 1984, Def Leppard's Pyromania and Hysteria, and of course W.A.S.P.'s W.A.S.P. and The Last Command are some examples. Turbo is nowhere near this standard. The songs "Turbo", "Out In The Cold", "Hot For Love" and "Reckless" are quite alright, even good, maybe, without being metal, but they still suffer from the dreadful production. Everything else is practically more or less unlistenable and this is why Turbo in general not only is an album that does not belong to the band's character, it's also a really poor musical effort for their calibre.

Mission was accomplished, since the album was Judas Priest's biggest sales success and reached the highest chart position they had until Angel Of Retribution, almost 20 years later. The band declared that they were very proud to release a remastered version on 3rd of February 2017 to celebrate the album's 30th anniversary. It really beats me how they forget that its lack of quality and class (even the cover is abysmal), as well as the mediocrity of 1988's Ram It Down, damaged the band's relationship with nearly every metal fan, and it took the sheer brilliance of Painkiller for this relationship to be restored. Stay away from this; the metal gods' catalogue is full of gems to choose from.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 7
Songwriting: 4
Originality: 8
Production: 3

Written by nikarg | 28.04.2017

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 18   Visited by: 147 users
28.04.2017 - 15:08
Rating: 6
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
Nice work.
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
28.04.2017 - 16:47
nikarg

Written by Ace Frawley on 28.04.2017 at 15:08

Nice work.

Thank you. It wasn't easy to write about my favourite band's worst album.
28.04.2017 - 20:59
Rating: 7
sbgmetal

Im just surprised all fired up wasn't part of the album
05.05.2017 - 15:10
Rating: 10
Nejde
CommunityManager
I totally disagree.

Turbo was one of the first Judas albums I heard as a young boy and it is still one of my favourites in their catalogue. "Hot For Love" still has the best guitar solo the band has put out to date and "Reckless" definitely is on my Top 10 list of best Judas songs. Sure, "Private Property", "Parental Guidance" and "Rock You All Around The World" are the weakest songs on the album, but hey, not everything that shines is gold.
To say that this is their worst album is to totally ignore Jugulator and Demolition, two albums I almost won't call Judas albums because in no way do they sound like Judas Priest. Turbo might be more pop/glam but at least it still sounds like Judas Priest.
----
Bow to the King Hercules!
05.05.2017 - 16:01
nikarg

Written by Nejde on 05.05.2017 at 15:10

I totally disagree.

Turbo was one of the first Judas albums I heard as a young boy and it is still one of my favourites in their catalogue. "Hot For Love" still has the best guitar solo the band has put out to date and "Reckless" definitely is on my Top 10 list of best Judas songs. Sure, "Private Property", "Parental Guidance" and "Rock You All Around The World" are the weakest songs on the album, but hey, not everything that shines is gold.
To say that this is their worst album is to totally ignore Jugulator and Demolition, two albums I almost won't call Judas albums because in no way do they sound like Judas Priest. Turbo might be more pop/glam but at least it still sounds like Judas Priest.

As you say, I totally ignore the Owens albums, because for me Priest without Halford is not Priest. However, even though these two releases do not sound like JP, they are slightly better than Turbo in my mind (but pretty mediocre albums too). I can't say anything about your other points, because taste is subjective, but I'm glad you enjoy the album mate.
05.05.2017 - 16:07
nikarg

Written by sbgmetal on 28.04.2017 at 20:59

Im just surprised all fired up wasn't part of the album

It was too metal for Turbo probably. I also can't really believe it was written during the 1985-86 Turbo sessions. It sounds like it belongs more to Screaming For Vengeance or Defenders Of The Faith. Good song though.
05.05.2017 - 16:36
Rating: 10
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by nikarg on 05.05.2017 at 16:01

I totally disagree.

As you say, I totally ignore the Owens albums, because for me Priest without Halford is not Priest. However, even though these two releases do not sound like JP, they are slightly better than Turbo in my mind (but pretty mediocre albums too). I can't say anything about your other points, because taste is subjective, but I'm glad you enjoy the album mate.

In Sweden we got a saying: Taste is like a butt - divided. (Sounds really stupid in English haha) But you get the point. Music would be really boring if everybody liked the same thing.

On a final note: I totally agree that Painkiller is sheer brilliance. Cheers!
----
Bow to the King Hercules!
05.05.2017 - 20:05
nikarg

Written by Nejde on 05.05.2017 at 16:36

In Sweden we got a saying: Taste is like a butt - divided. (Sounds really stupid in English haha) But you get the point. Music would be really boring if everybody liked the same thing.

On a final note: I totally agree that Painkiller is sheer brilliance. Cheers!

Clever saying, I didn't know it
Oh yeah Painkiller is the tits Cheers!
05.05.2017 - 23:07
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
This is the only Judas Priest album I like. Excellent review and thanks.
----
rekt
06.05.2017 - 01:49
nikarg

Written by tea[m]ster on 05.05.2017 at 23:07

This is the only Judas Priest album I like. Excellent review and thanks.

You're welcome. I'm flabbergasted by your comment about it being the only album you like from them!
06.05.2017 - 02:34
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Imo you're generous with your 4.6 for this horrendous album. Only the title track is any good. The rest is utter tripe. And the lyrics... omfg. Priest were mostly always terrible in that department but here they outdid themselves. Back when this was released... well THE FUCKING OUTRAGE!!!!! and rightly so.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

06.05.2017 - 12:02
nikarg

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 06.05.2017 at 02:34

Imo you're generous with your 4.6 for this horrendous album. Only the title track is any good. The rest is utter tripe. And the lyrics... omfg. Priest were mostly always terrible in that department but here they outdid themselves. Back when this was released... well THE FUCKING OUTRAGE!!!!! and rightly so.

The rating means I put it somewhere between "not good" and "bad". The album is plain bad in my opinion but I couldn't give a lower rating to my beloved priest. From your comments I take it that you agree with the content, right?
08.05.2017 - 11:28
Rating: 8
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by Nejde on 05.05.2017 at 16:36

Similar to the saying 'opinions are like arseholes, everyone got one.'

I like Turbo, thought it is better than Ram It Down, Defenders Of The Faith, British Steel, Point Of Entry, Jugulator and Redeemer Of Souls. But I agree with you about Parental Guidance and Rock You all Around The World.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.05.2017 - 10:01
Daniell
_爱情_

Turbo was one of the first Judas albums I heard as a young boy and it is still one of my favourites in their catalogue.

That's why you disagree. First impressions are the ones that tend to leave an indelible mark, and last the longest. I guarantee you that whichever other Judas Priest album you would've heard first, it would still be one of your favourites. That's how it works, especially when we listen to music as young kids. The power of nostalgia and sentiment can't be overstated.
09.05.2017 - 17:07
nikarg

Written by Daniell on 09.05.2017 at 10:01

That's why you disagree. First impressions are the ones that tend to leave an indelible mark, and last the longest. I guarantee you that whichever other Judas Priest album you would've heard first, it would still be one of your favourites. That's how it works, especially when we listen to music as young kids. The power of nostalgia and sentiment can't be overstated.

So true
09.05.2017 - 19:28
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by nikarg on 09.05.2017 at 17:07

Written by Daniell on 09.05.2017 at 10:01

So true

I don't suppose you'll believe me when I tell you that I haven't known this quote before you posted it.
09.05.2017 - 20:35
nikarg

Written by Daniell on 09.05.2017 at 19:28

I don't suppose you'll believe me when I tell you that I haven't known this quote before you posted it.

Haha, I believe you if you say so. I am actually not even sure it belongs to Rob. It could easily be one of these quotes you find on the internet and are randomly and arbitrarily attributed to famous people. But the actual content is totally true.
14.09.2017 - 20:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Great review, nice way to not insult album but put all negative things about it in positive way
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 4612 | This month: 12