Metal Storm logo
Best black metal scene

Original post

Posted by BEHEMOTH 1, 30.04.2017 - 06:56
Please vote for the country who's black metal you most enjoy and beleive has the strongest scene overall. Please consider historical and current bands. One your vote is placed please identify which bands you enjoy from that country. If you prefer a country not listed, specify and justify.:necro:

Poll

Which country has the best black metal scene?

Norway
Poland
France
USA
Sweden
Finland
Greece
Germany
Australia
Canada

Total votes: 62
23.05.2017 - 11:33
Paz
Elite
Written by 3rdWorld on 18.05.2017 at 23:19

which one is he talking about?

He clearly meant the Dutch scene Dystopia (NED), Ulsect, Dodecahedron and Laster released some funtastic albums this year.
23.05.2017 - 13:39
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Paz on 23.05.2017 at 11:33

Written by 3rdWorld on 18.05.2017 at 23:19

which one is he talking about?

He clearly meant the Dutch scene Dystopia (NED), Ulsect, Dodecahedron and Laster released some funtastic albums this year.

Indeed, and don't forget Urfaust, Countess, Nihill, Turia, Verwoed, Terzij De Horde, Nefast, Lubbert Das, Mories projects, Ibex Angel Order, Verbum Verus, Nevel. Northward, Fluisteraars, Reiziger, Wederganger, White Oak, Wrang, Mondvolland, Galg, Grafjammer, Dodenkrocht, Orewoet, etc. etc.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.05.2017 - 14:24
Paz
Elite
25.05.2017 - 18:54
BEHEMOTH 1
Written by Paz on 23.05.2017 at 14:24

I still think that Mgła, Furia (POL), Massemord (POL), Mord'A'Stigmata, Entropia (POL), Thaw, Batushka, Odraza, Eerie, Outre, Hegemone, Blaze Of Perdition, Cultes Des Ghoules, Kriegsmaschine, Infernal War, Iperyt, Seagulls Insane And Swans Deceased Mining Out The Void, Morowe, CSSABA, Medico Peste, Plaga and ROSK are better

This lineup is absolutely killer. No doubt in my mind is this scene way stronger than any other scene of the last 5 years. Exactly why I chose Poland. Batushka, Mgla, and early Behemoth especially but also Plaga, Massemord, Morowe, and Medico Peste.
03.09.2017 - 23:43
TeachNThrash
I prefer the blackened thrash variety of black metal, so Absu, Goatwhore, Inquisition, and Nightbringer make me want to say USA has the best scene.
06.09.2017 - 02:12
Ganondox
After the start of the second wave of black metal, the Norwegian one is super overrated, black metal has evolved since then and they are no longer claim a monopoly on good black metal. I'm going with the Polish because they have most coherent scene nowadays and are doing some really interesting stuff with post-punk influences and their shouty-screams don't sound horrible, but there is good black metal all over.
24.09.2017 - 18:37
darkthrone
Norway in my opinion so many great bands to pick from like mayhem burzum immortal the list goes onm
28.09.2017 - 23:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by darkthrone on 24.09.2017 at 18:37

Norway in my opinion so many great bands to pick from like mayhem burzum immortal the list goes onm

Historical bands yes, current well unknown bands as Faanejäll Galar and few more, but many other countries has better scene.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
19.12.2020 - 16:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
This year it Greece whit killer albums as new Kawir, what always nails
Acherontas - Psychic Death - The Shattering Of Perceptions. was good album
Katavasia - Magnus Venator a killer beat maybe best from Hellas this year.
Serpent Noir - Death Clan OD
Yoth Iria - Under His Sway [EP] Follos where old RC stopped, mid 90's atmo BM whit awesome atmosfere n touch

2 non BM bands made Hellas BM and hellas metal scene win a fight

Firewind - Firewind and On Thorns I Lay - Threnos

Swedish BM is secnond, close to Greeks, but Katavasia and Yoth make Hellas win as in 2004 they ball boys did in a Portugal.
Sweden: Ages - Uncrown,
Grift - Budet
Kvaen - The Funeral Pyre
Mörk Gryning - Hinsides Vrede
Naglfar - Cerecloth
Necrophobic - Dawn Of The Damned.
So 3 things Mörk Necro and Kvaen made me put this year in BM battel as second,

Iceland was Ok but now its preductible. Germany always deliverd and are strong few sprises but smehow Sweden was stronger to me.
UK, France and USA had few suprises but not win a bm fight
----

apos;'
[image]
08.02.2021 - 08:21
Nucky
I'll just stick to Norwegian black metal scene.. They gave us Immortal,Mayhem,Gorgoroth,Emperor,Darkthrone.. Enough said..
08.02.2021 - 18:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Nucky on 08.02.2021 at 08:21

I'll just stick to Norwegian black metal scene.. They gave us Immortal,Mayhem,Gorgoroth,Emperor,Darkthrone.. Enough said..

To old to overated, there are every country whit good new bm bands, if you are a follower.
----

apos;'
[image]
22.04.2021 - 20:48
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Norwegian Black Metal scence obviously leads the way, as the overall best Black metal scene, it has such a dark history and so many of the true great black metal bands are from this scene, I don't even need to mention them.

I also like the Greek Black Metal scene too, there are some very good lesser known bands from that scene like Varathron, but my favourite at the moment has to be the Polish scene, there are some great bands that have great potential for the future of black metal, like Mgla and Batushka.
30.09.2021 - 21:21
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 22.04.2021 at 20:48

Norwegian Black Metal scence obviously leads the way, as the overall best Black metal scene, it has such a dark history and so many of the true great black metal bands are from this scene, I don't even need to mention them.

I'd tend to disagree. While the leaders and pioneers of the genre are mostly from there, the scene went dry rather quickly (which led to a wonderful, yet very short wave of innovation). Just look at all the major bands, Mayhem went experimental after 1993, Emperor went prog after 97, Darkthrone went to whatever the fuck they felt like doing after 95 and Burzum went to shit after Filosofem. Of the really major bands, only immortal stayed black metal. Of course there's still Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Windir and whatnot, but these are not what I'd consider the heart of the norwegian black metal movement.
The French and Polish scenes soon took over in terms of quality, although it's a bit more underground than the entry level bm cited above. In the following years, the Portuguese, Russian and global Eastern European scene also joined them as more flourishing bm scenes.
01.10.2021 - 15:23
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Roman Doez on 30.09.2021 at 21:21

I'd tend to disagree. While the leaders and pioneers of the genre are mostly from there, the scene went dry rather quickly (which led to a wonderful, yet very short wave of innovation). Just look at all the major bands, Mayhem went experimental after 1993, Emperor went prog after 97, Darkthrone went to whatever the fuck they felt like doing after 95 and Burzum went to shit after Filosofem. Of the really major bands, only immortal stayed black metal. Of course there's still Satyricon, Gorgoroth, Windir and whatnot, but these are not what I'd consider the heart of the norwegian black metal movement.
The French and Polish scenes soon took over in terms of quality, although it's a bit more underground than the entry level bm cited above. In the following years, the Portuguese, Russian and global Eastern European scene also joined them as more flourishing bm scenes.

When it comes to black metal during the 90's the Norwegian scene is my favourite, it's true though that the bands from Norway quickly fell from from the top, the Greek, and Finland scene's, were also two scene's I admire from that era, but nowadays the Polish is proberbly my favourite, at the moment anyway.

I've never been too familiar with the French scene, other than the bands Blut Aus Nord, and Deathspell Omega, I will have to check out more bands from there.
03.12.2021 - 11:33
Aristarchos
The Polish for me. Especially I love Furia, but there are many other great bands too.