Metal Storm logo
Best black metal scene

Poll

Which country has the best black metal scene?

Norway
Poland
France
USA
Sweden
Finland
Greece
Germany
Australia
Canada

Total votes: 62
30.04.2017 - 06:56
BEHEMOTH 1
Please vote for the country who's black metal you most enjoy and beleive has the strongest scene overall. Please consider historical and current bands. One your vote is placed please identify which bands you enjoy from that country. If you prefer a country not listed, specify and justify.:necro:
08.05.2017 - 01:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
You should explain your post, because its hard and large topic to vote and discuss, explain why you did chose those countries and why they are best?
USA there are few bands as atmospheric means a lot Aggaloch, Pilorian, Ponopticon, there are old school so called raw bands as Judas Iscariot, Krieg and little post, shoe gaze as deafheven
There are also Xaxtur, Levemntian, Luker of Chalice, Velvet Cocoon and many more, what makes genre so vide and country it self, easier is to talk about state

Canada - never produce major bands as we could say its a genre big name on map, Woods Of Ypres where we can discuss if its black, few BM bands in French and Dark Forest what I can remember now, unless Detahday 666 will bring us full length we can mention that bands major role in a genre.

Ausie - Woods Of Desolation , Austere , Midnight Odyssey, what more, just bunch of underground bands what are divided not united

Poland - abit orthodox other sounding bands as we have nowadays, we can call about genre, movement because band has little different sounding there
Batuska, Mgla, Led Oculta, Furia, Blaze Of Perdition and also few NS BM bands as Graveland and Hate something I don't remember it name
IMO original scene when it goes being BM and not following Norway sound of BM

Norway - its classic should I say much more? 1314, Gorgoroth, Taake, and such bands are not best

Sweden scene is good, a bit underated, but there are few bands as makes it better and Watain and Marduk are overrated and boring. BM is nothing to do whit st. ann

Fibland, also another story but somehow BM did not stick there as other, there are bands but still more st. ann influenced, not like Wyrd and so on, few bands to chose like Thy serpent for example, Darkwood My Bothered , ask Array he was expert.

France has good scene but French language dominates, I parlous nou francais, I parlous bad englaise, and after Les Legioens Noire there are bands but not so much and nothing to buy anyway

Germany - To me its best, all kind BM, English, german lyrics, all styles, mixing and not only from 90's bands born there often

Dark Fortress , Nargaroth, The Ruins Of Beverast , menhir, Lunar Aurora, Die Tothen Kehrern Mid Dem Wind, Naglefar, Halgadom, Licht- Und Schattensaiten , XI´V dark centruries and there are so called Pagan elements, pagan black

Greece, way to loyal to local football team as BM

I wonder why you did not put UK and Ukraine?

I voted for Ger BTW
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
08.05.2017 - 02:30
Maco
Pvt Funderground
It's between these three: USA, Norway and Sweden.

USA has lots of my favorite black metal albums, love the so many different styles there, from traditional to highly experimental.

Norway also has many of my favorites, most of the bands who started with a traditional boring style of BM begun to experiment and are now more interesting than their early years.

Sweden offers the best style of traditional BM I ever listened to, truly evil sound. However I don't have a lot of favorites unlike the US and Norway.

I think I will go with USA.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
08.05.2017 - 02:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 08.05.2017 at 02:30

Sweden offers the best style of traditional BM I ever listened to, truly evil sound. However I don't have a lot of favorites unlike the US and Norway.

I think I will go with USA.

Trooly evil sound is mort boring BM thing ever, why Marduk and Watain is boring? why Ancient Wisdom is so cool? lyric concept
Same Bathory, Månegarm, Ereb Artor ... no stupid st, anninit lyrics
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2017 - 03:29
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Bad English on 08.05.2017 at 02:42

Trooly evil sound is mort boring BM thing ever, why Marduk and Watain is boring? why Ancient Wisdom is so cool? lyric concept

Watain is great whatyotalkin bout?
----
08.05.2017 - 03:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Maco on 08.05.2017 at 03:29

about lyrical concept, boring artworks, and so on on, look at nature and suroundings, winter and other bands what I mentioned, are singing about
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2017 - 06:30
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 08.05.2017 at 03:36

Written by Maco on 08.05.2017 at 03:29

about lyrical concept, boring artworks, and so on on, look at nature and suroundings, winter and other bands what I mentioned, are singing about

which is totally booooring. watain's artwork is so much better than all the done to death nature winter etc stuff same gor the lyrical content. winter is the most boring subhect in black metal ever
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.05.2017 - 13:18
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
No its st. ann . nothing artistic about that subject same like DM gore lyrics, old Sentenced had much better lyrics
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2017 - 14:04
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
2017 the best so far are Greece - a revivial of their old scene. Portugal - for the raw stuff. Other scenes are probably as good but those 2 are the most suprising for me.
08.05.2017 - 14:25
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Guest on 08.05.2017 at 14:04

2017 the best so far are Greece - a revivial of their old scene. Portugal - for the raw stuff. Other scenes are probably as good but those 2 are the most suprising for me.

raw bad quality demo sound IMO from Portugal, good 90's stuff
----

apos;'
[image]
08.05.2017 - 16:28
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 08.05.2017 at 06:30

which is totally booooring. watain's artwork is so much better than all the done to death nature winter etc stuff same gor the lyrical content. winter is the most boring subhect in black metal ever

But Marcel! Black metal should be about the kvlt grim northern darkness /s
Seriously though, I completely agree. It gets pretty fuckin old listening to black metal albums about snow and frost and other inconsequential shit like that, in the same way that super "satanic" black metal is derivative at this point.
08.05.2017 - 17:44
Paz
Elite
Poland or Iceland for me.
08.05.2017 - 21:51
nikarg
Staff

I don't know anything that came out in 2017 in Greek black metal (except if you mean 2016's excellent releases). What have you heard in 2017?
09.05.2017 - 01:12
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 08.05.2017 at 21:51

I don't know anything that came out in 2017 in Greek black metal (except if you mean 2016's excellent releases). What have you heard in 2017?

Thats 2 of the best, let me know if you want more
09.05.2017 - 01:19
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Disharmony? That is such average stuff...
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2017 - 01:20
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Like I said somewhere else about the Disharmony album: "Formed in 1991 and split up after three demos and one EP only to reunite in 2014. After having released a compilation album with old work the band now hits the stage with their debut album. 'Goddamn The Sun' is characterized by typical Greek black metal with quite a bit of thrash and death metal influences. At times in such a way it almost becomes bombastic without it actually being bombastic. Except during 'War In Heaven' where the female opera like vocals push the song just over the edge of bombastic. Even though it all sounds typically Greek I also discern some Countess influences in the music. The songs are well thought out and reasonably catchy. It's a shame the band only released their debut now and not in the Nineties. Two and a half decades too late this album."
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.05.2017 - 01:28
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.05.2017 at 01:19

Disharmony? That is such average stuff...

Always, always separate genre and quality. If you dont like the genre dont say thats its average. Give me 3 better traditional bm albums this year then I am ok with thats its average.
09.05.2017 - 09:30
nikarg
Staff
Written by Guest on 09.05.2017 at 01:12

Thank you! I didn't know either band (shame on me). Disharmony is not my cup of tea, but I particularly liked Cult Of Eibon
09.05.2017 - 14:01
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by nikarg on 09.05.2017 at 09:30

Written by Guest on 09.05.2017 at 01:12

Thank you! I didn't know either band (shame on me). Disharmony is not my cup of tea, but I particularly liked Cult Of Eibon

Cheers! This from last year was also very good. Its a bit more modern
10.05.2017 - 00:38
VIG
Account deleted
Out of these I would say Germany or France, but I would say the U.K. has the title of my favorite scene in black metal, but there is no "best scene"
15.05.2017 - 19:34
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Maco on 08.05.2017 at 02:30

It's between these three: USA, Norway and Sweden.

Son, do you even France?

The only way I can see people voting Norway and Sweden is because of the scenes that were developed there in the 90s. Not too huge on BM innovation and hot new things these days, it would seem. USA still produces some pretty high quality, original black metal, but I still think France has them beat in that area
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.05.2017 - 19:48
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Quote:
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.05.2017 at 19:34

Son, do you even France?

The only way I can see people voting Norway and Sweden is because of the scenes that were developed there in the 90s. Not too huge on BM innovation and hot new things these days, it would seem. USA still produces some pretty high quality, original black metal, but I still think France has them beat in that area

I only have 3 favorite albums from France, and 2 of them are from the same band. I guess you know which albums I'm talking about
----
15.05.2017 - 19:51
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Written by Maco on 15.05.2017 at 19:48

I only have 3 favorite albums from France, and 2 of them are from the same band. I guess you know which albums I'm talking about

Si Monumentum and Fas from Deathspell Omega and The Work from BAN?
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
15.05.2017 - 19:53
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Written by Auntie Sahar on 15.05.2017 at 19:51

Si Monumentum and Fas from Deathspell Omega and The Work from BAN?

Close enough. Replace Fas for Kenose.
----
15.05.2017 - 23:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
The currently most happening scene hasn't even been mentioned here
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

16.05.2017 - 21:10
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2017 at 23:56

The currently most happening scene hasn't even been mentioned here

Let me guess: its one of either the Dutch or Swiss?
16.05.2017 - 21:11
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Or Spain? I have no fucking idea.
18.05.2017 - 22:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 16.05.2017 at 21:11

I don't think non of 3 are active and good.
----

apos;'
[image]
18.05.2017 - 23:19
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Written by Bad English on 18.05.2017 at 22:29

Then I'd go with either greece or Portugal which most impressed me in the last few years and especially in 2016 but Marcel said the best scene wasn't mentioned here, which one is he talking about?
18.05.2017 - 23:36
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by 3rdWorld on 18.05.2017 at 23:19

Written by Bad English on 18.05.2017 at 22:29

Then I'd go with either greece or Portugal which most impressed me in the last few years and especially in 2016 but Marcel said the best scene wasn't mentioned here, which one is he talking about?

I don't think eh always knows what he is talking about, maybe Vatican or Gibrialtar

Spain is not logic, maybe Holland, but that we can say other scenes has more bands, Belgium, Denmark dont produce so much, same UK and Ireland, I have no clue,
----

apos;'
[image]