Metal Storm logo
Six Feet Under

20.04.2007 - 03:07
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Since Six Feet Under just released their new album, Commandment, I decided to create a thread for them. As you all know, Six Feet Under is fronted by ex-Cannibal Corpse growler Chris Barnes, but their lineup has other well-known musicians, such as Terry Butler (ex-Death, ex-Massacre) and Steve Swanson (ex-Massacre). They even had Allen West (ex-Obituary) in their lineup for a short period of time.

I own Bringer of Blood, Haunted, and Maximum Violence. I think it is universally agreed that Bringer of Blood is a massive pile of shit, but their older albums were a lot better. Haunted is probably my favorite album by them, most notably because of Allen West's catchy guitar riffs.

I heard Commandment in full last night and I'm relieved that they are back making somewhat respectable music. I think Commandment needs a few more hooks in the songs because it gets very repetitive at times, but overall I'm fairly satisfied with it. Even though Chris doesn't sound as good as he used to, he still sounds like a fucking monster that could kill Corpsegrinder any day.

So, what do you guys think?
20.04.2007 - 08:06
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
I cant believe a thread for the band hasn't been made before now...

Only heard the albums Bringer of Blood and Haunted. Both found to be different in how good they are, Bringer Of Blood is just shit. Listened to in twice in all, cant say that I'd be willing to go back to listen to it (if I could find the disc aswell). Haunted was better and as Pyroleprechaun said was catchier with Allen West's riffs, but wasnt all that "Wow, this is impressive", still its ok.

Just wish I could find both of those discs, havent listened to Haunted in ages...
----

Hellcunt Smurf
21.04.2007 - 03:32
Stuff1056
Account deleted
I still prefer Cannibal Corpse over them, but some Six Feet Under every once in a while is good. I'll always be a huge fan of Barnes' vocals.
21.04.2007 - 09:42
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Written by Guest on 21.04.2007 at 03:32

I still prefer Cannibal Corpse over them, but some Six Feet Under every once in a while is good. I'll always be a huge fan of Barnes' vocals.

Cant you come up with anything else, or are short one line comments your thing?

Went looking for both albums, and found a receipt that I wrote out saying I sold them. Both together for $25. New albums cost $25-32 here, so that was a great deal by me.
----

Hellcunt Smurf
21.04.2007 - 16:02
Stigmatized
I've never been a fan. Everything they do just sounds pretty mediocre to me. Come to think of it, I'm not a Chris Barnes fan either. Some of his Cannibal Corpse stuff is alright, but as for stuff like Six Feet Under and Torture Killer, it's just not very good. How popular is Six Feet Under, compared to say...Cannibal Corpse?
21.04.2007 - 18:07
Trifixion
Account deleted
Written by Stigmatized on 21.04.2007 at 16:02

How popular is Six Feet Under, compared to say...Cannibal Corpse?

Not even close.

Well I used to hate them after hearing some stuff a long time back but then pyro sent me Haunted I believe and it was actually alot better than I expected. Nothing incredible but not bad. Barnes is still nothing like he was on early Cannibal Corpse but he does his job I suppose. Not bad.
22.04.2007 - 01:35
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Has anyone else heard Commandment yet? I'm curious as to what people think about it, compared to their other albums.
22.04.2007 - 16:29
Infurnace

I'm not a big fan of Six Feet Under, but I have to admit that their older albums are pretty good. Albums like Haunted and Maximum Violence. Those albums are good. 13 was pretty decent too. Haven't heard Commandment yet, but reviews say it's a good album, so I guess I should buy it sometime.
23.04.2007 - 00:46
kackbratze

I didn't have much respect for Six Feet Under until I saw them live in Wacken 2006. I really liked it, they're a good live band.
When I checked them out more then a year ago I didn't really like them. I recall liking the song "Victim of the Paranoid" though (they also played it live). Since then my musical taste has broadend, so I'm urged to check them out again.

I listened to Commandment and I must say that I like it. It sounds very similar to Torture Killer's latest disc and honestly, pyroleprechaun, if you like this, I can't really understand why you don't like Torture Killer. It's pretty much the same stuff, well? I like both. Of course it's far from being original and technically kinda simple, but it can be fun, if you don't have too high demands. It can be a nice change, if you are used to listen to faster stuff.
23.04.2007 - 01:11
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by kackbratze on 23.04.2007 at 00:46

I listened to Commandment and I must say that I like it. It sounds very similar to Torture Killer's latest disc and honestly, pyroleprechaun, if you like this, I can't really understand why you don't like Torture Killer. It's pretty much the same stuff, well? I like both. Of course it's far from being original and technically kinda simple, but it can be fun, if you don't have too high demands. It can be a nice change, if you are used to listen to faster stuff.

When did I say I didn't like Torture Killer? lol I'd rather have Chris quit Six Feet Under and continue with Torture Killer.

You're right though...Torture Killer and SFU are pretty much the same band, but I'd rather hear Chris play with fresh musicians than aging ones.
23.04.2007 - 22:56
Infurnace

Holy crap, "Commandment" really is good . I really have to buy this album right now! Chris Barnes sounds really like he did in the early days . That's great.
23.04.2007 - 23:29
kackbratze

Written by Dangerboner on 23.04.2007 at 01:11

When did I say I didn't like Torture Killer? lol I'd rather have Chris quit Six Feet Under and continue with Torture Killer.

Well, I was sure you left a bad comment in the "Swarm!" review. But I looked it up and the your comment was rather neutral... alright!

I listened to Six Feet Under exlusively today. I tested "Haunted", "Warpath" and "Maximum Violence". Haunted is their best imho because it has the darkest atmosphere and the best vocal performance by Barnes. Warpath is similarly good. Concerning Maximum Violence I had the impression that the vocal patterns sounded somehow commercial, poppy and stupid at times. But it's an ok album, with nice riffs. I haven't listened to "Bringer of Blood", "True Carnage" or "13", but from what I know they aren't really that appreciated. So SFU seemed to get worse with every release, but "Commandment" seems to be some kind of return to form for them, imho. The production is nice, the riffs are catchy.

But I really wanna know what Chris Barnes has done with his voice. On the three Cannibal Corpse records and on Haunted he delivers some awesome growls, but from "Warpath" on he's started to sound weird. It feels like he has to force his vocals to sound half good. He hasn't really recovered until today...
09.05.2007 - 18:02
Murder

Well I don't heard the complete album, I only heard two songs and they're pretty good!! I will get the album soon cause I had been expecting for it!!
18.05.2007 - 21:09
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
'Ghosts Of The Undead' video was posted on the band's website.
'Ghosts Of The Undead' is a song from the new CD "Commandment'.

You can see the video here
12.06.2007 - 09:55
Torture Killer
Account deleted
SFU is Probably my favorite death metal band I think I own all their cds except graveyard classics 1,2 and the live stuff, I really love the Medicore riffs and death vocals a great combination. Although Bringer Of Blood pretty much suck for the most part
26.08.2007 - 23:55
vusza

'Not their biggest fan, but Chris Barnes is better in Six Feet Under, that in Cannibal Corpse. And 'Graveyard Classics' was a hell of a good concept!
----
No guts, no glory.
17.11.2007 - 08:39
Sonsofsabbath

I like there covers. They are kind of funny actually, jailbreak, sweetleaf, TNT. I also like the song title "murder in the basement" I dont think bringer of blood is so bad, but what do I know.
17.11.2007 - 17:07
Woutjinho
Account deleted
fake death metal band. dont like it. much too easy songs and too slow, this band really bores me
No Warning Shot is quite good though
18.11.2007 - 00:39
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
dont really like their original stuff... but i love their death metal cover of AC/DC's album, Back in Black
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
23.12.2007 - 19:06
theflyingmachine

I've only heard a few songs from this band and haven't checked out any of their albums yet, primarily because of the hordes of bad reviews they seem to get. Any recommendations on an album to start with?
23.12.2007 - 19:37
BlackMin
Account deleted
Six Feet Under is one of the most boring death metal bands ive listened to. The new album has couple of "okish" songs buts thats about it for me..
23.12.2007 - 21:34
Cut-Throat

six feet under are possibly the most boring death metal band there is and chris barnes's vocals are terrible compare to what he could do 15 years ago!
24.12.2007 - 15:57
Too many fail.

chris barnes is hilarious
----
Here is my actual theory beyond the huge, hilarious jokes I have: If you're so pro-life and you're so pro-child, then adopt one that's already here, that's very unwanted and very alone and needs someone to take care of it.
- Bill Hicks
25.12.2007 - 00:59
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Cut-Throat on 23.12.2007 at 21:34

six feet under are possibly the most boring death metal band there is and chris barnes's vocals are terrible compare to what he could do 15 years ago!

word
09.03.2008 - 20:41
bucky01403
Account deleted
I picked up Commandment on a whim a few weeks ago and I can safely say that I'm now a fanboy of Chris Barnes. Nothing technical, nor original, just fucking straight up old school death metal that fucking rocks. It's nice to relax to something that's not so technical every now and then.

Ordered 13 without a shadow of doubt.
12.03.2008 - 06:58
ABUSOR
Account deleted
If there was such thing as Death Rock I would put Six Feet Under in that exact genre.... I'm a big fan of Haunted and Maximum Violence. They're both albums that dont get as much recognition as they should. They're fuckin killer. Teir later albums sort of lost touch as you can hear in Chris's vocals, it sounds like there is barely any musicianship and effort.
18.03.2008 - 14:18
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy

You're right!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...
18.03.2008 - 19:52
Woutjinho
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 09.03.2008 at 20:41

I picked up Commandment on a whim a few weeks ago and I can safely say that I'm now a fanboy of Chris Barnes. Nothing technical, nor original, just fucking straight up old school death metal that fucking rocks. It's nice to relax to something that's not so technical every now and then.

Ordered 13 without a shadow of doubt.

FUCKING STRAIGHT UP OLD SCHOOL DEATH METAL??? HAHAHA
I got to tell this some other dudes
best thing I heard in days
19.03.2008 - 00:52
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk

six feet under are possibly the most boring death metal band there is

Go see them live and see if you still feel that way.
19.03.2008 - 11:31
Woutjinho
Account deleted
like they are any special... see some other bands instead, their shows arent that great