Metal Storm logo
Six Feet Under

Original post

Posted by Dangerboner, 20.04.2007 - 03:07
Since Six Feet Under just released their new album, Commandment, I decided to create a thread for them. As you all know, Six Feet Under is fronted by ex-Cannibal Corpse growler Chris Barnes, but their lineup has other well-known musicians, such as Terry Butler (ex-Death, ex-Massacre) and Steve Swanson (ex-Massacre). They even had Allen West (ex-Obituary) in their lineup for a short period of time.

I own Bringer of Blood, Haunted, and Maximum Violence. I think it is universally agreed that Bringer of Blood is a massive pile of shit, but their older albums were a lot better. Haunted is probably my favorite album by them, most notably because of Allen West's catchy guitar riffs.

I heard Commandment in full last night and I'm relieved that they are back making somewhat respectable music. I think Commandment needs a few more hooks in the songs because it gets very repetitive at times, but overall I'm fairly satisfied with it. Even though Chris doesn't sound as good as he used to, he still sounds like a fucking monster that could kill Corpsegrinder any day.

So, what do you guys think?
20.03.2008 - 00:07
Empty Spaces
Unburied At Dusk
I didn't say they were special, but their shows are anything but boring.

And yeah, they have some boring songs, but they also have some really good songs.

I don't care what other people might say about this band. "Oh, they're not traditional Death Metal, they're too slow... oh boo hoo"
I'm glad there's bands like SFU that don't have 40 minutes of blast beats and their albums...
22.04.2008 - 14:04
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
it's my first fav band , l like the band , chris and ... , their are best . somewhere in darkness is my fav song . and I realy glad to cover my another fav band that called AC/DC
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
22.09.2008 - 19:05
theflyingmachine

I finally listened to my first SFU disc in its entirety, which was Maximum Violence. I steered clear of this band because of all the negative feedback, but after hearing Maximum Violence, I think some of the complaints are unwarranted, as it is an album that you can listen to and enjoy without having to think too hard. Only complaint that I have (which is relatively minor) is that I wish it was just a little heavier. If there is an SFU album of this caliber that is any heavier, I'd be all over it.
22.09.2008 - 19:50
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by ArtiA on 22.04.2008 at 14:04

it's my first fav band , l like the band , chris and ... , their are best . somewhere in darkness is my fav song . and I realy glad to cover my another fav band that called AC/DC

Are you talking about TNT?
I listened to TNT cover by SFU in Live With Full Force DVD, and that is one of my favorite covers so far..
22.09.2008 - 22:48
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Written by Hamird on 22.09.2008 at 19:50

I listened to TNT cover by SFU in Live With Full Force DVD, and that is one of my favorite covers so far..

yeah , I saw that , but I mean Graveyard Classics II album and specially TNT from Graveyard Classics . they r best u know !
----
"The WAY" is perfect and complete like boundless space nothing redundant but because the mind continues to make distinction.
22.09.2008 - 22:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ArtiA on 22.09.2008 at 22:48

Written by Hamird on 22.09.2008 at 19:50

yeah , I saw that , but I mean Graveyard Classics II album and specially TNT from Graveyard Classics . they r best u know !

Damn, you serious? I actually consider those two the worst ever cover albums. My God, they are even worse than SFU's own work.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

22.09.2008 - 23:02
ArtiA
Robin Goodfellow
Quote:
Damn, you serious? I actually consider those two the worst ever cover albums. My God, they are even worse than SFU's own work.

this is my opinion , I like SFU , I like AC/DC .... and I like eveything about SFU . I really like their covers
----
23.09.2008 - 01:02
Hamird
Lieutenant
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 22.09.2008 at 22:51

I just like TNT, I don't like the rest of the album.. But TNT in Live With Full Force was greatly covered...
23.09.2008 - 17:36
SK921
Account deleted
I couldn't get into Six Feet Under. I found their albums really boring.
23.09.2008 - 17:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Quote:
Written by ArtiA on 22.09.2008 at 23:02

this is my opinion , I like SFU , I like AC/DC .... and I like eveything about SFU . I really like their covers

I know it is your opinion, but I am really surprised because you are the only person in the world I know who like the SFU covers. I know a lot of people that like SFU and even they don't like the cover albums. That's why I am this surprised.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

28.02.2009 - 17:06
Gigginova
Account deleted
I love the cover albums, they're kind fo funny too.

Yeah, I don't like Cannibal Corpse, but I like Six Feet Under, they play sort of Groove/Death Metal so in a way they're like the Pantera of DM.

I really like them, regardless of what Anal Cunt says about them
28.02.2009 - 18:12
ForeverDarkWoods

I really, really, REALLY don't like SFU. In fact, I hate SFU. They are one of the most annoying dm bands I've ever heard. If you want to make groovy death metal, you should listen to some Jungle Rot and learn to do it right.

I've never really understood how such a shit band could have had Allan West (Obituary) in it at any point. In fact, this band sucks so much that I'm having real trouble describing how terrible they are and that adds even more to the fact that I don't know what the fuck Allan West was thinking when he started with this shit...

The cover albums are some of the shittiest releases ever to be tagged as death metal. I'd nearly take Slipknot over that stuff, seriously.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
28.02.2009 - 20:07
Galar
Wicked Mung
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 28.02.2009 at 18:12

I really, really, REALLY don't like SFU. In fact, I hate SFU. They are one of the most annoying dm bands I've ever heard. If you want to make groovy death metal, you should listen to some Jungle Rot and learn to do it right.

I've never really understood how such a shit band could have had Allan West (Obituary) in it at any point. In fact, this band sucks so much that I'm having real trouble describing how terrible they are and that adds even more to the fact that I don't know what the fuck Allan West was thinking when he started with this shit...

The cover albums are some of the shittiest releases ever to be tagged as death metal. I'd nearly take Slipknot over that stuff, seriously.

Completly agree. Couldn't have said it better myself, except for Slipknot, because they both suck equally.
----
YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID, SUCK A DICK
01.03.2009 - 04:28
Richard

I like their first album, 'Haunted'. The songs are controlled and pretty much midpaced, and there are some really catchy songs on there. Much better than their later stuff, IMO. The irresistably catchy 'Silent Violence' is my favourite song on the album, particularly for the chorus, and Chris Barnes' vocals sound at their best here (whereas on other releases his voice sounds strangely 'croaky').
----
01.03.2009 - 04:58
Gigginova
Account deleted
Ahhh "Haunted" That's the SFU album I own. I bought it back when I was 14. I stopped listening to them for years and I'm just getting back into them.
01.03.2009 - 05:45
Hellkommando

I like SFU in general I haven't heard Commandment yet but I have heard Death Rituals which I thought wasn't too bad. The albums I rate are Warpath, Maximum Violence and Haunted. I like Barnes as a vocalist hence I liked Cannibal Corpse when he was fronting them I think on his day he has some of the best growls going around.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
01.03.2009 - 07:48
Butters49

Deathklaat-

best song ever
----
"Sataaaaaaaaan. Yeah yeah!"
-King Diamond
02.03.2009 - 02:15
Zooluke
Account deleted
Haunted, warpath, maximum violence and true carnage RULE!!!!!! I have never herd any other albums. But these 4 albums are some of the best music ever made.
05.03.2009 - 00:02
WITCHCLAN

Hmmm, not really into a lot of their stuff really. I find it a bit too slow and overall not very memorable. I like a track that takes your breath away with the catchy riffs, tight musicianship, good vocals etc etc and SFU rarely come up with the goods.
I quite like Death By Machete and a few others but tend to steer clear of them generally. i HATE their cover art, I think it's boring and for a gore band I would expect something a little more graphic to be honest!
I loved Chris Barnes when he was is Cannibal Corpse as I found his vocals to be some of the best I had ever heard but since he has been in SFU I think his vocals have really gone down hill. It seems like he has actually lost his ability to growl! if you compare his vocals now to Butchered At Birth for example it sounds like he really struggles to growl and get the low tones now. What does everyone else think??
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
05.03.2009 - 16:03
Richard

Written by WITCHCLAN on 05.03.2009 at 00:02

I loved Chris Barnes when he was is Cannibal Corpse as I found his vocals to be some of the best I had ever heard but since he has been in SFU I think his vocals have really gone down hill. It seems like he has actually lost his ability to growl! if you compare his vocals now to Butchered At Birth for example it sounds like he really struggles to growl and get the low tones now. What does everyone else think??

Well yes, as I said in my previous post his voice sounds rather croaky nowadays. It kind of lacks power and sounds more like an elderly man choking on sawdust. Maybe it's all the weed that has affected his voice, as he always bangs on about how much he smokes it...
----
05.03.2009 - 22:50
WITCHCLAN

Written by Richard on 05.03.2009 at 16:03

Well yes, as I said in my previous post his voice sounds rather croaky nowadays. It kind of lacks power and sounds more like an elderly man choking on sawdust. Maybe it's all the weed that has affected his voice, as he always bangs on about how much he smokes it...

Nah - I am a heavy smoker and have been for years but I can still growl like a demon and bark like a dog, it must be something else.
----
Pre-order the new Witchclan demo now at www.witchclan.co.uk - release date 1st September 2010.
08.03.2009 - 13:26
-Morbid-

I sorta liked the cover albums as well.

My favorite album from SFU was "Haunted" but I haven't listened to them all. The other few I listened to had their moments but overall didn't deliver what I wanted. It seems I hear a song from them somewhere that I like, so I check out the album it was off of and find the rest of the album doesn't live up to the song I liked.
09.03.2009 - 03:52
Richard

Written by WITCHCLAN on 05.03.2009 at 22:50

Written by Richard on 05.03.2009 at 16:03

Nah - I am a heavy smoker and have been for years but I can still growl like a demon and bark like a dog, it must be something else.

Well, Chris is 42 years old (according to his birthdate here on Metal Storm), so he's probably clocked up many more years of frequent growling and pot smoking than you!

On a side note, I like it when the older Death Metal veterans are still doing their thing into their late 30's and 40's. I think Paul Speckmann of Master is one of the oldest, in his mid-to-late 40's now. That's great, and it shows that Death Metal isn't just some sort of youthful rebellion, as some people probably dismiss it as, but a valid form of music that appeals to all ages. It'll be interesting to see if some of the old school DM vocalists are still growling when they get to be as old as Ronnie James Dio and Lemmy are now!
----
09.03.2009 - 13:17
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Six feet under are a good band, haunted is a great album but from what i herad till now i find them a bit repeatable...
But i have to mention that they are the band you should choose to hear when you want to HEADBANG!!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
08.12.2009 - 06:01
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Richard on 01.03.2009 at 04:28

(whereas on other releases his voice sounds strangely 'croaky').

Yeah I know what you mean, but for me sometimes it's good and sometimes it's bad. Like in the song, The Day the Dead Walked, where he emits this inhuman croak and holds it while the guitar solo starts \m/

Written by Deadmeat on 09.03.2009 at 13:17

But i have to mention that they are the band you should choose to hear when you want to HEADBANG!!!

Definitely true - SFU is a band that you really have to blast loud to appreciate. Listening to Murdered in the Basement on full blast after a few beers will make anyone headbang.

Anyways, I think they're releasing another cover album soon, but I'll ignore it. They haven't written anything good in a while and their covers are probably the worst songs I've ever heard in general.
14.12.2009 - 06:41
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Damn, so I burned Warpath the other night and wow... what a huge pile of shit. Besides Revenge of the Zombie, I didn't find one part at all that I liked on the album.
19.12.2009 - 21:59
I_Die_Often

They did have a few pieces of shit, the first ones, Haunted thru True Carnage are good! Then turd, turd, turd... last two are OK, latest is just a little too much "hard rock" for me to really get into...
I've heard complaints that they are too simple, hey, don't always need extremely technical playing to be entertaining...
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
23.12.2009 - 20:25
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
It's Barnes vocals that make me listen to Six feet under esp haunted
23.12.2009 - 21:20
I_Die_Often

Written by Maxx666 on 23.12.2009 at 20:25

I agree with ya! But I'm not crazy about his vocals on the last few, something is missing...
not as deep and lacking in the shrieks he would throw in.
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
24.12.2009 - 07:07
Maxx666
Meshuggahian
Written by I_Die_Often on 23.12.2009 at 21:20

Written by Maxx666 on 23.12.2009 at 20:25

I agree with ya! But I'm not crazy about his vocals on the last few, something is missing...
not as deep and lacking in the shrieks he would throw in.

Yeah the last albums doesn't packs the punch that were so much prevalent in their older stufffs:cry: